Options

**Toronto Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    kitemankiteman North Carolina Posts: 6
    My first Canada show and sadly the last this year. Thanks to all the 10c's who welcomed me at the Moose (Rick the Texas lawyer, Ben thr Eagle fan, and Brecht from Belgium)...great crowd, best ever for a venue that big. See you guys at a future show. Phil from NC
  • Options
    Thanks Toronto for being a great host! Drove in from Chicago to go to the show... one of the best I've seen.... best in the Americas that is. Saw them basically front row in the Sporthalle in Hamburg, that's hard to beat. Anywho, the show rocked. anyone catch any of what Bono was singing during RITFW? I recall him screaming 'rock rock rock rock!' and I think he gave props to PJ being a band that rocked...

other highlights... blood. wow, first time I've seen that one live. wow.

hmm.. also leaving here. how kick ass was that?

some issues with Eddie... guitar, harmonica, guitar, lyrics... but it all added to the fun of the show.

hmm... also... rockin in the free world.. by far... by FAR best I've seen. I swear that when a crouching Bono entered stage left behind Mike, my ears were going to explode... I couldn't believe it, but there he was doing some sort of dance up to the mic banging on the symbols... I think Bono free styled some of the lyrics too. The Edge was back there too, but he didn't get up and come on stage. I had a hunch bono would be on stage, but to see it come true was awesome...

setlist... cool. good variety. lots of 10 material. loved it!

Space Needle and CN tower erection comment... classic!

Mike jamming crazy and all over the place... throwing himself from front stage to back stage, spinning all over, jumping and running around ... he was great. 10th row seats... not bad either! thanks PJ!
    The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.
    Ralph Nader
  • Options
    grooveman9 wrote:
    Hey, power to you if you're a die-hard PJ fan. I wish I could travel around with the band and see all the shows. I'm jealous. But, when I walk away from last night's show thinking it was an awesome show, it's because I can't follow them around, it sort of takes some of the magic away when you guys say it was "average". I've seen hundreds of shows, and I don't think this show was average in any sense of the word.
    But, I guess die hard anything is a little annoying to the less-fanatic fan. Sort of like Leaf fans, of which there were plenty last night...agghh...

Yeah,the Go Leafs Go chant before the show almost made me sick.....leave it up to Leaf Fans to be Assclowns!
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    Marcust99 wrote:
    I can't believe these people that are whining about the show last night
    being "generic" Gimme a fuckin break. It's not WHAT they play but HOW
    they play it. The fact that Bono came out automatically elevates the show
    about "generic". Pullease.

Marcust,just noticed your signature under your name saying 10/01/96 Best Pj show In toronto......they were in Buffalo that night.
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    hippiemom wrote:
    Wow, this is a tough crowd to please!!! I thought it was a great show. Nothing super-rare, but I got to hear Release, Indifference and the We Belong Together tag for the first time since '94 ... got a solo Porch ... the crowd was deafening, even louder than in London. The only downside was the stupid overly stoned/drunk bitch sitting next to me. Fortunately she disappeared halfway through the main set, probably spent the rest of the show with her head in a toilet, which would be a good place for it. What a way to waste a 2nd row seat. Her friend stayed there and watched the whole show through the viewfinder of her camera and kept trying to show me her pictures ... wtf is up with that? Why would I want to see pics of Ed when Ed himself is 10 feet away? Some people! :rolleyes:

LOL uhh they did the We Belong Together in Calgary a couple weeks ago...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    PJ Sparks wrote:
    dawk20 wrote:
    The intro was a Sort of Homecoming. U2 song from unforgettable fire.

There was U2 references all night.

Thanks to U2 for opening for us :)

I knew somebody would catch that. Thanks for the help.

PJ Sparks
    ps. did anyone waiting by the buses ever get the band coming by? I waited til about 1-1:15. Just curious to those who stuck it out longer.

As far as i know from the 4 shows i saw last week,the band boards the bus as soon as the show is done to avoid all the crowds,i was told this by security after each show.
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    That's kinda scary.

Chris[/quote]

Why is that scary? As i said... they are one of the BEST live acts out there.... their worst is most other bands' best. So dont piss on the heads of those that bust their butts.... thats all im saying. Toronto was an awesome show- i think some losers are just looking for things to complain about... or maybe they dont know how to have a good time.

Im sure the other canadian dates have been great, and toronto was no different... for those that have had the time and cash to go and see six shows- thats fucking cool...
    i just know that if i was priveleged enough to see them six times (or whatever) i wouldnt come out of it bitching- i would just be dammn fucking happy that i got to see a great band that many times. so stop the fucking whining.

KADDIKAT- i dont know you, but that was an awesome post! cheers! toronto was golden!
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Options
    chemi wrote:
    I think that cuz:

A- he wasnt drinking as much

B- U2 fuckers where there and he probably seemed intimidated, that he had to be professional

I said the exact same thing after the show...i think Bono being there kinda kept Eddie too tame,heck he didnt even finish the bottle of wine as per usual
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    bharQ wrote:
    LOL uhh they did the We Belong Together in Calgary a couple weeks ago...
    I know that, but I wasn't there. They've done all those songs, but I haven't seen them since '94.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    That's kinda scary.

Chris

As i said... they are one of the BEST live acts out there.... their worst is most other bands' best. So dont piss on the heads of those that bust their butts.... thats all im saying. Toronto was an awesome show- i think some losers are just looking for things to complain about... or maybe they dont know how to have a good time.

Im sure the other canadian dates have been great, and toronto was no different... for those that have had the time and cash to go and see six shows- thats fucking cool...
    i just know that if i was priveleged enough to see them six times (or whatever) i wouldnt come out of it bitching- i would just be dammn fucking happy that i got to see a great band that many times. so stop the fucking whining.
    [/quote]

i would never usually post something like that

i LOVE these guys

the show was amazing - it really was

i just want them to have the good time that we are having and there was a tension there which was a shame

but don't get me wrong - ANY pearl jam show rocks! - they give their all musically at every single show
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    res perv wrote:
    good show, very predictable... i saw kitchener, hamilton, and i would rank toronto last out of those 3.

but then again...bono guested on rockin' and i was there to see, soooo...yeah

I totally agree with you on that. PJ shows are like sex, weed and pizza, there's no such thing as bad, just different kinds of good. I'm a set list snob, so I like to hear alot of rare stuff, I was happy to hear Present Tense and Leaving here. I went with a buddy who's a casual fan, so it was a great show to see with him. I thought the energy of the band was great, the crowd was loud and my seats were awesome. I had a great time for sure. Bono coming out made a good workhorse show a true classic in my opinion. If I can just get the Eddie/Mick duet next week in Pittsburgh, I can die happy.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    share wrote:
    my take

all the other shows were a club gig - toronto got a rock show

i don't go to rock shows, i don't even go to large venues unless I'm comped the tickets or win them but I will ALWAYS do it for Pearl Jam because of the great dynamic of the band (the one that got left behind)

and I've never ever been distracted by side stage before - it wasn't the edge and bono - it was just so busy

I don't talk much during a show - I'm there to listen and I always find it a sign of respect to do so and it was just weird for me to see the people at the side of the stage in full animated conversation

It's absolutely none of my business but it was always there in the peripheral

The music was great, perfect, spot on as always - but I could have heard the music at home - I wanted to feel the thrill and the energy and the feedback
    of emotion from the stage

this is why I go - and it's why they are the greatest band on the planet to see live

I guess I had been spoiled at the other shows - the guys were having such a damn good time that it was contagious and that was not the case in Toronto

so everybody getting on people's cases about "complaining about the set lists" or seeing too many shows in a row - this had nothing to do with it

there was a hole in the show - the hole was the love that ed usually shares with the crowd

he did his job - he got up and sang and it was beautiful

Thank you, I totally agree. I kinda felt bad after the show because I was dissapointed and I've never felt that at a PJ show before, but that show was bad compared to the other shows I went too. I am very spoiled to say that and how cool that a show in Toronto with Bono there was my "worst" pj show? I can't blame the guys for partying all night, but it really showed. I don't mind hearing the "hits", but it seemed they were playing them just to get through them. I don't know if Ed felt nervous with Bono being there or what, but I don't see any comparison between the bands at all, they should have just done their thing. Bono coming out just didn't do it for me. It was a very long ride to Quebec, but thank goodness the band was back to rocking out there.
  • Options
    I personally think that the "hole" in PJ's set that people seem to feel is because of the venue- and not the band. I think it is an alienating venue-regardless of where you are sitting.
    I have seen REM, Incubus, and bon jovi (dont laugh) there- and in comparison to the molson amphitheatre, the ACC is crapola. I really think that if PJ gave that very same show at the amphitheatre, nobody would have been disappointed....

thoughts?

• Options
    I personally think that the "hole" in PJ's set that people seem to feel is because of the venue- and not the band. I think it is an alienating venue-regardless of where you are sitting.
    I have seen REM, Incubus, and bon jovi (dont laugh) there- and in comparison to the molson amphitheatre, the ACC is crapola. I really think that if PJ gave that very same show at the amphitheatre, nobody would have been disappointed....

thoughts?

Not sure I agree on that one, I saw PJ there in 2000 and it was a great show...I was front row though so I'm biased :)

The Bell Centre is about the same size I think? that was a great show...I just think the band was a bit "off"...still a rocking show though.
  • Options
    There are some pictures of Ed with U2, abd Bono with PJ @ the website for 102.1 the EDGE. Here's the link:
    http://www.edge.ca/station/station_gallery.cfm?REM=cfnyfm_2005_9_20_15-37-28&station=cfnyfm

• Options
    kabobkabob Posts: 10
    Not sure I agree on that one, I saw PJ there in 2000 and it was a great show...I was front row though so I'm biased :)

The Bell Centre is about the same size I think? that was a great show...I just think the band was a bit "off"...still a rocking show though.

The ACC was not the problem. I saw the band in 2000 as well and that show was amazing. GM Place and the Bell centre are both roughly the same size of the ACC and I think Ottawa's Corel Centre isn't much smaller. Also, if you skip back to 98 (or 92) when the band played Molson Park to a much bigger audience the shows were still really good.
    My biggest problem with Monday's show was it felt too much like a nostalgia show aimed at Creed and Nickelback fans who stopped buying Pearl Jam albums after Vitalogy. Why should they be catered too? I'm not asking for rare stuff - what about Binaural? Amazing, amazing album!
    There were far too many songs Monday night from the early nineties. I'm one of the fans who think this band just gets better and better. This is why a song like "save you" kicks so much ass. Probably the best song of the night along with "half full." But Monday night's show felt like the band was admitting to 20,000 people that they peaked around '96 - something I know just isn't true.
  • Options
    kabob wrote:
    The ACC was not the problem. I saw the band in 2000 as well and that show was amazing. GM Place and the Bell centre are both roughly the same size of the ACC and I think Ottawa's Corel Centre isn't much smaller. Also, if you skip back to 98 (or 92) when the band played Molson Park to a much bigger audience the shows were still really good.
    My biggest problem with Monday's show was it felt too much like a nostalgia show aimed at Creed and Nickelback fans who stopped buying Pearl Jam albums after Vitalogy. Why should they be catered too? I'm not asking for rare stuff - what about Binaural? Amazing, amazing album!
    There were far too many songs Monday night from the early nineties. I'm one of the fans who think this band just gets better and better. This is why a song like "save you" kicks so much ass. Probably the best song of the night along with "half full." But Monday night's show felt like the band was admitting to 20,000 people that they peaked around '96 - something I know just isn't true.

I totally agree.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I said the exact same thing after the show...i think Bono being there kinda kept Eddie too tame,heck he didnt even finish the bottle of wine as per usual

I agree that probably had something to do with the set-list full of standards in Toronto. PJ did not want to fuck up with U2 there.

There were a few non-radio-song highlights like Ed's solo acoustic Porch and Present Tense, but for the most part it was pretty tame. I would have regretted making a second 6 hour trip to Canada for this one extra show (went to Kitchener, London, & Hamilton last week and all 3 shows were great) if it weren't for the great time I had in Toronto the next 2 days.
  • Options
    While this setlist is decent, I think the show has some magic moments. Now, songs and song titles alone, we all know, cannot make a show great — it's what happens whitin the song on stage that really defines a show.

To me Toronto has many special, small moments (nothing to do with Bono either). For example, at the end of Present tense, Ed says, 'Come on, make somethin happen up here …'

i think it should be considered, right here and now, the tours most underrated show.
    "Well his wife and kids asleep but he's still awake
    and his brain weighs the curse of thirty bills unpaid
    gets up, lights a cigarette, he's grown to hate
    thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream again?"
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    that was beautiful - everybody holding up their lighters
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    I like the idea that magic has been brought up in relation to these PJ shows but I sit on the other side of the argument thinking that the problem with the Toronto show is that it didn't have any. I was lucky enough to catch the Hamilton show the week before and that concert was pure magic. When they played Harvest Moon for Eddie's friends who were getting married that day it was a genuine heartfelt moment, something they were not able to recreate when they played the same song in Toronto.
    The setlist in Hamilton was better but actually 80% of the songs were the same. All the hits were played but it was a vastly different show. The band brought their A-game and Eddie was playful with the crowd. In Hamilton when they played "Alive" I was standing up and pounding my fists in the air. When the song was done I turned to my wife and said "that was the greatest version of Alive I've ever heard!" When they played "Alive" in Toronto I sat down for the whole song and was bored out of my skull.
    Bono arriving at the end of the set only made things worse for me. I have nothing against U2 and I've seen them live before but when I think of their concerts I think of choreagraphed "entertainment." Spectacle. Style over substance. These are descriptions I'd never use when talking about a PJ show, until last Monday's. Pearl Jam are musicians, U2 are entertainers. When Bono showed up at the end it just made me think that Pearl Jam were finally making the leap to the other side like most rock bands before them.
    I couldn't help but think that after the show Eddie was gonna ask Bono how PJ can land one of those sweet Ipod commercials.
  • Options
    Ed and Bono have been good friends from very early on in PJ's career ; when ed said 'i love you' as Bono walked off stage, I believe it to be sincere.
  • Options
    I do agree that there were wayyy to many "hits" played at the Toronto show... especially there were so many songs that i wanted to hear....
    They played a good few from Riot Act (my favourite album)... but it would have been cool to hear "Green Disease" or "I am mine".... or some Binural tracks as well....

but I am also slightly glad that they played a number of "hits", because I brought my older brother to this show. He is the one that bought me TEN all those years ago, and he hasnt really kept up with PJ"s newer stuff (except for the bootlegs that i constantly sneak in to his car stereo on my way to work). I was glad that he was able to recognize some songs and have a really great time... It was his first concert of that size, and he couldnt beleive the audience excitement/participation...(The lighters were beautiful!!!)
    Maybe this was a chance for some passive fans to be reminded of why PJ is so awesome....

• Options
    I don't doubt the friendship. My response is only to Bono the entity. Bono as a media personality, not Bono as a human being. I'm quite sure that Bono and Ed have a great relationship and there is great love there but when I see the cowboy hat, the shades and hear the voice all I can think of is the guy who holds press conferences at K-Marts, sings in Ipod commercials and does videos for the Tomb Raider movies.
    I don't want to seem like a U2 hater, they have some great songs, but for the last two albums they strike me as a band that is going through the motions and their concerts reflect that.
    Maybe it's unfair of me but I expect more from Pearl Jam. It's their own fault for spoiling us all these years.
  • Options
    we will never know what they totally go thru on the road, in the minds and lives. I never perform my best everyday I go to work. Life has a way of preventing me of giving my all all the time.
  • Options
    we will never know what they totally go thru on the road, in the minds and lives. I never perform my best everyday I go to work. Life has a way of preventing me of giving my all all the time.

Fair enough. I know I dog it all the time at work. Difference is my job doesn't involve playing my guitar. Oh, how I wish it did.
    I really don't want to keep insulting my favourite band. I actually thought the best parts of the show were when Ed kept fucking up. "Habit" was a real highlight. It's a song that really needs that rage to kick it up. I also thought Mike was amazing. If the rest of the band had matched Mike's intensity it would have been one for the books.
  • Options
    kabob wrote:
    I don't doubt the friendship. My response is only to Bono the entity. Bono as a media personality, not Bono as a human being. I'm quite sure that Bono and Ed have a great relationship and there is great love there but when I see the cowboy hat, the shades and hear the voice all I can think of is the guy who holds press conferences at K-Marts, sings in Ipod commercials and does videos for the Tomb Raider movies.
    I don't want to seem like a U2 hater, they have some great songs, but for the last two albums they strike me as a band that is going through the motions and their concerts reflect that.
    Maybe it's unfair of me but I expect more from Pearl Jam. It's their own fault for spoiling us all these years.

The Toronto show on Monday was my fifth Pearl Jam show and frankly, they blew the roof off the place. If you didn't pickup on that, then you're freakin' deaf. As for Bono ... nice of you to remember the stupid things he's done (ie. K-Mart) and forget the plethoria of amazing things he's accomplished while many of his colleagues sip margaritas on their own private islands. Obviously, you weren't at any one of the U2 shows in town this week - I've seen them many times as well and I think they perform better in concert now than they ever have before. I missed Eddie's appearance at their show on Saturday but was quite thrilled that Bono returned the favour on Monday. It's nice to see people in the same biz support each other, even if their musical styles differ.

I get a little touchy when I hear people say that they like a band's "old stuff" - it really grates my nerves. I hear this about both Pearl Jam and U2. Good bands don't sound the same album after album. There are so many people that know Pearl Jam only for Ten and Vs. and we all know it's their loss. But the same goes for U2. I would happily retire songs like Alive and Sunday Bloody Sunday from concert set lists - they're great songs, but enough already. The bands have evolved and so should the fans. The last two U2 albums have some amazing material. You just have to get past some of the hype and forgive some of the dumb decisions people make when they're in the thick of things. Don't obsess over the negative - you'll miss the good stuff.

Take this mouth
    So quick to criticize
    Take this mouth
    Give it a kiss
  • Options
    I've never been a fan of concert bootlegs (so many of the ones I got were such sh~t quality that I just gave up for a while) but I'm dying to get one of Monday's Toronto show. Any suggestions from anyone on where to search?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    Nevermind ... as soon as I posted, the answer stared me in the face: bootlegs.pearljam.com. Sometimes, I am such a dumb ass. I search the site like crazy and didn't notice the obvious.
  • Options
    The Toronto show on Monday was my fifth Pearl Jam show and frankly, they blew the roof off the place. If you didn't pickup on that, then you're freakin' deaf. As for Bono ... nice of you to remember the stupid things he's done (ie. K-Mart) and forget the plethoria of amazing things he's accomplished while many of his colleagues sip margaritas on their own private islands. Obviously, you weren't at any one of the U2 shows in town this week - I've seen them many times as well and I think they perform better in concert now than they ever have before. I missed Eddie's appearance at their show on Saturday but was quite thrilled that Bono returned the favour on Monday. It's nice to see people in the same biz support each other, even if their musical styles differ.

I get a little touchy when I hear people say that they like a band's "old stuff" - it really grates my nerves. I hear this about both Pearl Jam and U2. Good bands don't sound the same album after album. There are so many people that know Pearl Jam only for Ten and Vs. and we all know it's their loss. But the same goes for U2. I would happily retire songs like Alive and Sunday Bloody Sunday from concert set lists - they're great songs, but enough already. The bands have evolved and so should the fans. The last two U2 albums have some amazing material. You just have to get past some of the hype and forgive some of the dumb decisions people make when they're in the thick of things. Don't obsess over the negative - you'll miss the good stuff.

Take this mouth
    So quick to criticize
    Take this mouth
    Give it a kiss

In theory I agree with everything you say. It was pretty cheap of me to bring up K-mart to knock a guy who does so much for world poverty. What the hell have I done to feed Africa's poor? But in the context of a rock show (or rawk show) it's only the k-mart guy I saw on stage. I think it's the hat.

I would never use the phrase "old stuff" with U2. I'm actually one of the wacky fans who thinks Pop was a great album. Sure U2 going techno might not appeal to everyone but at least it seemed earnest. I just find the last two albums were too safe and were steps backwards musically (with a few exceptions. Some of the new songs hold up). Pearl Jam's last two albums on the other hand...
    Everything you say about old music is why I didn't like Monday's show. The band has evolved but the show almost completely ignored the last decade of the band's existance and centred on the first five years.
    As to the roof blowing off. The fans did that, not the band. Loudest crowd I've ever seen but not too picky. The crowd was going nuts when the roadies were tuning the guitars. Not the hardest bunch to please.