Options

**Toronto Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    ****Pearl JAM Sept 19th Toronto: Air Canada Centre, sold out fuckers*****
    Packed to the fucking rafters!
    Well i knew there would be some bitching about the setlist on this board. I admit it wasn't really a setlist for the 10c fans but it still was one hell of a fucking show.
    Put all things a side, there is know fucking way you could not have left that building blown away. "Unimpressed" that's fucking ridiculous, spoiled brat is what you are.
    Last night was my wife's first Pearl JAm show, it was the most amazing thing to watch her reaction. She's an average pearl jam fan, enjoys their music and knows most of their songs but is not hardcore by a long shot. After the show she said to me "that was the most inspiring things i've ever seen in my life." "The energy in that room it sent chills down my spine."
    THe crowd was on a high the entire show, the energy was unreal it just kept building and building. The band got huge ovations for even the lesser knon songs like "half Full". A huge highlight was during "Betterman" with the crowd singing along Ed paused after the first verse. He stood there taking it all in with a huge smile on his face. THe building erupted, an explosion of cheers and screaming, pj were taken back, it was so fucking loud the floor was shaking.
    Does anybody know what the NEW SONG/IMPROV/COVER Eddie sang before small town?????? He was quite certain with the words , it sounded really good.
    I think they played the best version of Blood i've ever seen, Eddie was really intense, screaming really fucking loud. He was in good spirits all night, jumping around the stage. The entire band looked like they were having a blast, full of energy they look really young.
    Bono was a cool surprise, the crowd went nuts. Apparently he was sitting side stage all night with The Edge. Ed's wife and daughter were side stage most of the show also. Little Olivia had on ear muffs to drown out the noise, she didn't stick around to long b/c it got to loud for her. I first noticed her during Ed'd solo "hide you love away", Ed kept looking over at them with a huge smile. To be a father i tell ya it's the best feeling in the world.

We meet a lot of cool people at the show. One guy who flew in from London England just for the show. We sat beside a couple that flew in from Boston, they were old enough to be my parents and were 10 club memebers. They rocked out harder than anybody at the show.

While it was not the best setlist, it was without a doubt the best crowd i've ever seen.
    Great way for me to end my little tour with the band
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    PJ Sparks wrote:
    The crowd sure brought their A-game. Ed has his troubles tonight. At times it was the lyrics, the guitar level (?) and getting around with his mic chord. The crowd gave it in Betterman.
    And what was that improv/new song/intro to Small Town?

The intro was a Sort of Homecoming. U2 song from unforgettable fire.

There was U2 references all night.

Thanks to U2 for opening for us :)

Also...before Habit he said something like....this is the best song ever written about addiction....and they were playing the guitar riff for BAD....then they broke inot Habit.

I thought it was a great show...I actually enjoyed it more than Kitchener...but my seats were better.
  • Options
    grooveman9 wrote:
    I am amazed at what I'm reading. I have been a die-hard Pearl Jam fan back since before Ten was even being played on the radio. I have every album including a number of bootlegs and live shows and I was absolutely blown away by last night's show.
    Maybe if I had toured the country like some of the posters on this site, I might have a more objectionable view, but for the huge fan that I am, seeing them last night reminded me why I love this band so much.
    Don't be so critical people...
    A good show is a good show...

well said my friend, i'm glad you are not the only one that was inspired. Last night's show is the exact reason why they continue to sell out everywhere they play.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    set list for the casual fan ... not the greatest for the die hards ... the show was average - nothing spectacular ... ed didn't seem too comfortable out there ...

If some of you die-hards actually had lives aside from following pj's every move, it would have been a great show for you as well.
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder played bits from "A Sort of Homecoming" (before "Small Town") and "Bad" tonight as well (before "Habit"). Towards the end of "Daughter", Vedder sang "If I could, you know I would" (from U2's "Bad") and he also sang "Yahweh, Yahweh" (from U2's song) during "Daughter" as well.

Eddie said, "The greatest song I've ever heard about addiction is a song called `Bad'," before performing "Habit".
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    If some of you die-hards actually had lives aside from following pj's every move, it would have been a great show for you as well.

I think there should be a limit amount of shows 10c members should b e allowed to attend. Bitch bitch bitch.
    "Oh my God i swear they've played ALive every show i went to". Blah Blah Blah

- EV
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:

that's why there was the dylineation of the die-hard and casual fan...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    frogwater wrote:

ha! ... its the fact we have lives that don't allow us to think everything they do is the best thing ever ... blah blah blah ... the show was average which for them and for me is very good ... average does not equal bad ... its sad when people can't even take even a little bit of criticism about this band ... look at the setlist man - barely a glimpse into their overwhelming catalogue of tunes ...
  • Options
    hodge wrote:
    good show!!

highlights: black (we belong together tag), present tense, rockin in the free world w/ bono

awesome crowd as always..they need to retire evenflow in my opinion

OMG, I love We Belong Together tag..I wish I was there, and Present Tense, and Hide Your Love Away/// I'm jelous. Now I wish I followed them around Canada...Oh well, when I get rich :) hehe. I don't care, Ottawa was amazing, and Montreal was good. Glad you guys had fun in Toronto, looks like it was a great show :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    ha! ... its the fact we have lives that don't allow us to think everything they do is the best thing ever ... blah blah blah ... the show was average which for them and for me is very good ... average does not equal bad ... its sad when people can't even take even a little bit of criticism about this band ... look at the setlist man - barely a glimpse into their overwhelming catalogue of tunes ...
    Hey, power to you if you're a die-hard PJ fan. I wish I could travel around with the band and see all the shows. I'm jealous. But, when I walk away from last night's show thinking it was an awesome show, it's because I can't follow them around, it sort of takes some of the magic away when you guys say it was "average". I've seen hundreds of shows, and I don't think this show was average in any sense of the word.
    But, I guess die hard anything is a little annoying to the less-fanatic fan. Sort of like Leaf fans, of which there were plenty last night...agghh...
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    grooveman9 wrote:
    Hey, power to you if you're a die-hard PJ fan. I wish I could travel around with the band and see all the shows. I'm jealous. But, when I walk away from last night's show thinking it was an awesome show, it's because I can't follow them around, it sort of takes some of the magic away when you guys say it was "average". I've seen hundreds of shows, and I don't think this show was average in any sense of the word.
    But, I guess die hard anything is a little annoying to the less-fanatic fan. Sort of like Leaf fans, of which there were plenty last night...agghh...

i saw 3 shows, kitchener, hamilton and last nite ... and maybe 9 shows ever in my 15 years following this band ... goto the *whats with the setlist* thread to see what we are talking about ...

this is the last i'll post on this thread cuz it should be about everyone's opinion ... but its not like those of us who are "complaining" want every single song to be a rarity - just like 2 or 3 per show that make that show special both kitchener and hamilton had that ... we can appreciate the fact that there are some songs most people want to hear but when u play 25+ songs a nite ... 2 or 3 (might i add also great songs) wouldn't hurt the casual fan or fan who hasn't seen them on tour before ... in fact it would add to the experience ...
  • Options
    Marcust99Marcust99 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 17
    I can't believe these people that are whining about the show last night
    being "generic" Gimme a fuckin break. It's not WHAT they play but HOW
    they play it. The fact that Bono came out automatically elevates the show
    about "generic". Pullease.

08/05/92 - Barrie, Ontario (Lollapalooza), 08/18/93 - Toronto, w/ Neil Young, 10/01/96 - Toronto ,08/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario,10/05/00 - Toronto, 06/28/03 - Toronto, 09/13/05 - Hamilton ,09/19/05 - Toronto, 08/21//09 - Toronto, 09/11-12/11 - Toronto, 9/15/11 - Hamilton, 10/12/13 - Buffalo, 05/10-12/16 - Toronto, 05/09/22 - Phoenix

• Options
    Mmmm... Pearl Jam goodness.

A great show... a great performance by the guys and some great highlights for the bootleg... the tags, the covers were right on, Ed getting flustered not once but TWICE due to audience participation, the U2 quips, then Bono showing up... and making up lyrics during RITFW!!

A great audience to boot! I think everyone knew the lyrics to every song, because I constantly heard singing all around me (and not just from me!)

...I've only 2 negative things to say though...

1. People on the board gotta stop whining about what songs their sick of hearing @ the shows... PJ's gonna play what they want & what the fans know & want... I was @ the Ottawa show... they played RVM, Jeremy, Alive, Daughter & YL there as well, no way I'm gonna bitch about hearing them again... it's all great. I (and everyone else should) feel priveliged to see & hear them live, and repeats are bound to happen.

2. They need more tour posters. Period. I got jipped not once, but TWICE waiting in line for a tour poster... finally get to the front and BAM!! sold out in front of my eyes... TWICE!!
    ...heh... if anyone was around the seller near 106, you probably heard my unpleasant outcry. ;)

all in all, great show.
    Thanks 10C for great tix (106 in Ottawa, 107 in TO) and to PJ... my friend who came w/ me, having only heard songs from Ten & never seen PJ before, is now officially a fan. Thanks guys :D

P.S. Anyone know what that new track / little ditty was that Ed played??
  • Options
    So here you have it. The last time i saw Pearl Jam was back on their Riot Act Tour where i was fortunate enough to see all 3 Boston shows.

That was then, this is now...here are a few highlights...What a show!

Ed came on and played 'Porch' prior to introducing Sleater Kinney. He nailed this song!

Kicked the set off slow once again with 'Release' and then didn't waste any time jumping right into it with 'Go', 'Animal' etc...

'Elderly Woman' rolled around and he intro'd it with 'A Sort of Homecoming' by U2. At this point I thought he was going to bring Bono on stage (since there were rumors earlier that day that Bono was going to attend), but that was not the case.

A few songs later, he introduced 'Habit' with a riff from U2's 'Bad', indicating that that was one of the greatest songs written about addiction and he hoped we enjoyed theirs...

Betterman was obviously a fan favorite...but what really made it was the pause in the beginning. The crowd went crazy and Ed simply stood there attempting to find the right moment to begin singing again....but he couldn't. It just got to the point where he stood there and smiled over at Mike...we were just too loud!!!

Ed introduced "Hide Your Love Away' in showing his gratitude to people like Uncle Neil and Bono for allowing PJ to be apart of their music, and then said that the person who wrote 'Hide..." he would liked to have met.

Ed and Mike kicked off 'Present Tense' while the rest of the guys stood there and waited for their queue.

I thought the cover of 'Harvest Moon' was amazing, even when Ed got fed up and threw his harmonica into the crowd...stating after that Neil drinks Bud, and that Bud must allow you to play and drink, cause red wine and the Harmonica certainly don't mix!

Indifference was amazing...Ed asking the crowd to get their lighters out! I looked around the venue at this point and the site was chilling...it was almost as if the lights were actually on in the place.

Ed introduced 'Blood' by thanking Toronto for allowing them to be apart of the busy week...having U2 in town for 4 shows, the Toronto International Film Festival...he then proceeded to say that he hoped we hadn't had enough because they were just about to get started. 'Blood' was amazing. Ed's voice was incredible.

Highlights...

1. Porch pre-set
    2. Pre-Pearl Jam Wave
    3. Ed fucking up the first line of Rearviewmirror
    4. Present Tense, Wishlist and Indifference....absolutely AMAZING
    5. Blood
    6. RITFW with Bono
    7. Oh yeah...Ed saying that Toronto must be doing something right for keeping the Maple Leaf Gardens because all of the others (Boston, Chicago) were torn down. He used this to introduce 'Black' saying that they played there and that they had probably played it that night...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    Relax. You're beginning to sound like Stuart Smalley. I love you.
  • Options
    i was also on that side of the stage...Ed just walked over and lit a smoke
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
  • Options
    sounds like everyone had a great time. i did too, met so many wonderful people at the preshow and in the tenclub line, and of course there was jared's mermaid serenade, which was unbelievable!!!

missed the show though, as i was thrown out for sitting in my seat. just got back to the hostel actually, jail was cold. whatever, as long as the fucking cops find and return my passport i will get over it all very smoothly, with my normal wry bemusement, but seriously, it was really cold in there.
    change begins with discontent.
  • Options
    From your fanviews, sounds like Ed tried to out drink some Irishmen the night before, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    some people say it was middle of the road and all that....i thoroughly enjoyed this show...6th time now, if my memory serves.
    the highlight happened before i even realized...the solo ed singing porch.
    i remember looking around and thinking...there's hardly anyone in here, but i am.
    this thought brought a small smile to my face.

i called my best friend in halifax to tell her not to die before the show on thursday cause she'll miss out.
    the in between is mine
    1998-08-22 barrie
    2000-10-05 toronto
    2003-05-02 buffalo
    2003-06-28 toronto
    2005-09-19 toronto
    2006-05-09 toronto
    2006-05-10 toronto
    2008-08-13 toronto (ed solo #2)
  • Options
    Pretty generic setlist...hoped for just a couple more rarities, as many have said. That said,
    Given to Fly was the best i've ever seen.........Present Tense should never leave the setlist..perfect...........They killed the rockers; Blood, RVM, Habit all just exploded............RITFW with Bono was, well, RITFW with Bono. You know what it was like.

Good show....tough to top Buffalo '03, but maybe that's not fair.
  • Options
    I thought the energy last night was great, and the band was obviously kicking ass but was it just me or was the sound really really horrible?

It was probably good close to the stage but I was at the back in section 103 and the sound was blaring and harsh, with no warmth or definition.

Anyone else notice this?

Had a great time though of course.

Chris
  • Options
    dawk20 wrote:
    The intro was a Sort of Homecoming. U2 song from unforgettable fire.

There was U2 references all night.

Thanks to U2 for opening for us :)

I knew somebody would catch that. Thanks for the help.

PJ Sparks
    ps. did anyone waiting by the buses ever get the band coming by? I waited til about 1-1:15. Just curious to those who stuck it out longer.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • Options
    sounds like everyone had a great time. i did too, met so many wonderful people at the preshow and in the tenclub line, and of course there was jared's mermaid serenade, which was unbelievable!!!

missed the show though, as i was thrown out for sitting in my seat. just got back to the hostel actually, jail was cold. whatever, as long as the fucking cops find and return my passport i will get over it all very smoothly, with my normal wry bemusement, but seriously, it was really cold in there.

Methinks you must have done something more than sit in your seat.

:)

Chris
  • Options
    Did Bono need the teleprompter for RITFW? ;)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    The night started out amazing....Ed coming out and doing porch pre set was just incredible. unfortunately after that, i was very disappointed in the set list. extremely predictable, and after kitchener and london, i would rate this show last. Bono coming out during ritfw got the loudest applause of the evening....
    08/22/98 09/11/05 05/10/06 07/13/13  03/18/20 
    10/05/00 09/12/05 08/21/09 10/16/14  03/24/20
    06/25/03 09/19/05 09/11/11 05/10/16
    06/28/03 05/09/06 09/12/11 05/12/16
  • Options
    quentin0 wrote:
    The night started out amazing....Ed coming out and doing porch pre set was just incredible. unfortunately after that, i was very disappointed in the set list. extremely predictable, and after kitchener and london, i would rate this show last. Bono coming out during ritfw got the loudest applause of the evening....

see i guess those ppl agree with me, U2 doesnt suck like 90% of u guys think so
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
  • Options
    Hey, did anyone else happen to see the guy who ran from the back of the floor, got mid way, bolted to a right side exit & was tackled to the floor?!

I think it was sometime during the last half of Alive I saw this happen... it was nuts. They threw his ass down! But I'm pretty sure I saw him get up then actually go to a seat maybe 15ft from where he was tackled...

dork. LOL

*edit*
    and how long have PJ & U2 been buddies? I knew there was something between the 2 bands... but I was under the impression it was negative...

I thought it was awesome though how Bono was walking off stage, Ed goes over to talk / thank him & Bono jumped him for an uber-hug :)
  • Options
    I_Got_Id wrote:
    Hey, did anyone else happen to see the guy who ran from the back of the floor, got mid way, bolted to a right side exit & was tackled to the floor?!

I think it was sometime during the last half of Alive I saw this happen... it was nuts. They threw his ass down! But I'm pretty sure I saw him get up then actually go to a seat maybe 15ft from where he was tackled...

dork. LOL

I saw that. Funny to watch. Had time to point it out to my friend. Mofo was running for his life, and went down hard. I was just going to ask if that was velvet.

Is it me or did that show seem to get louder as the night went on? My hearing is still fucked.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I am pretty sure it was during Jeremy
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Both bands know each other in good way since PJ earley days. There are several photos of Eddie and Bono from u2's Zoo Tv tour, in 1992.
    And in the last U2 tours, Eddie has been a great fan. In Vertigo Tour, Ed has assited in, at least, 3 shows.
    I guess that's relationship and some kind of fan attitude. isnt it?

thanks

cristian
    uno, dos, tres, catorce