Options

**Toronto Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    Okay, hold on just a darn minute here. I'm having trouble believing I was at the same show some folks are describing here. Last night was pure Pearl Jam magic. Damn straight it was a love-in, and a rock 'n' roll one at that. There aren't that many oppurtunites these days to revel in the communal power of a rock show and to be in a crowd that "gets it" the way us rock fans feel we "get it" but last night church was in session. I'm a little wary of some of those ten club folk, and that started in the afternoon when I went down to the ACC trying to get some last-minute miracle at the box office (seasoned concertgoes know great things can happen day-of with a little patience and luck). Anyhoo, long story short I score awesome tix for a show I thought I was surely going to miss. Even at the box office, in my moment of joy, there was a ten club dude there trying to wreck my buzz by snobbily saying "I bet whatever you got isn't as good as the ten club tickets". WTF?
    I didn't say anything but I was thinking "Hey unless you're in row one, I don't think so, and fuck you anyways you self-absorbed buzzkill". But I digress.
    I'm sure lots of folks have been to more PJ shows than me but I've seen every toronto show since they opened up for the Chili Peppers at the Masonic Temple in 91, or was it 92? All that to say this show was right up there with any of them since as far as the crowd goes, it was the most energy I've seen out of a Toronto crowd (which are notoriously lame, own up folks) since the Amphitheatre show in '03. I honestly can't comprehend how anyone could be in that building last night and not feel it. Maybe the front rows were bushed but everyone else was going to Pluto and back. Setlist, schmetlist, it was a high energy rocking setlist is what it was. No diversions. Nothing to stop the momentum. I haven't heard the Go/Animal combo to kick off a show in ages and I was loving it - massive-like. Blood was phenomemal. Corduroy was tight as a drum, Betterman had the great love-in moment that harkened back to the Amphitheatre show and my hairs stood on end this time just like last time. Folks, you can NEVER get enough of that. Eddie was in fine form, and in true rock'n'roll spirit, the fuck-ups were some of the highlights. How about that great moment near the end of You Got To Hide Your Love Away where Eddie botched the ending and the crowd reacted with some good-natured ribbing - chanting "Ed-die, Ed-die" in mock salutation. That's rapport of the kind you just don't see at other shows. All through the show strangers were high-fiving and sometimes even hugging each other out of happiness.
    How can anyone look down on that because they didn't play Dirty Frank?
    It boggles my mind. Mike McCready layed down some beautiful solos, Stone was rock solis as usual, as was Matt Cameron - Jeff got to have some fun with the bass solos in Leaving Here - it was a good time, especially for a Monday night. I could go on and on -Present Tense...wow. A Pearl Jam is one of those occasions where one realises that rock'n 'roll---true rock 'n'roll, remains a subculture most consumer drones will never understand, and that's really saying something with the way everything cool gets co-opted these days. It was a beautiful night. There should be more of them. One love.
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    I am pretty sure it was during Jeremy

Yeah, see I was initially thinking that too, but it seemed like he did it then the show kept going for a while, not just for a few more songs.
  • Options
    righton wrote:
    Okay, hold on just a darn minute here. I'm having trouble believing I was at the same show some folks are describing here. Last night was pure Pearl Jam magic. Damn straight it was a love-in, and a rock 'n' roll one at that. There aren't that many oppurtunites these days to revel in the communal power of a rock show and to be in a crowd that "gets it" the way us rock fans feel we "get it" but last night church was in session. I'm a little wary of some of those ten club folk, and that started in the afternoon when I went down to the ACC trying to get some last-minute miracle at the box office (seasoned concertgoes know great things can happen day-of with a little patience and luck). Anyhoo, long story short I score awesome tix for a show I thought I was surely going to miss. Even at the box office, in my moment of joy, there was a ten club dude there trying to wreck my buzz by snobbily saying "I bet whatever you got isn't as good as the ten club tickets". WTF?
    I didn't say anything but I was thinking "Hey unless you're in row one, I don't think so, and fuck you anyways you self-absorbed buzzkill". But I digress.
    I'm sure lots of folks have been to more PJ shows than me but I've seen every toronto show since they opened up for the Chili Peppers at the Masonic Temple in 91, or was it 92? All that to say this show was right up there with any of them since as far as the crowd goes, it was the most energy I've seen out of a Toronto crowd (which are notoriously lame, own up folks) since the Amphitheatre show in '03. I honestly can't comprehend how anyone could be in that building last night and not feel it. Maybe the front rows were bushed but everyone else was going to Pluto and back. Setlist, schmetlist, it was a high energy rocking setlist is what it was. No diversions. Nothing to stop the momentum. I haven't heard the Go/Animal combo to kick off a show in ages and I was loving it - massive-like. Blood was phenomemal. Corduroy was tight as a drum, Betterman had the great love-in moment that harkened back to the Amphitheatre show and my hairs stood on end this time just like last time. Folks, you can NEVER get enough of that. Eddie was in fine form, and in true rock'n'roll spirit, the fuck-ups were some of the highlights. How about that great moment near the end of You Got To Hide Your Love Away where Eddie botched the ending and the crowd reacted with some good-natured ribbing - chanting "Ed-die, Ed-die" in mock salutation. That's rapport of the kind you just don't see at other shows. All through the show strangers were high-fiving and sometimes even hugging each other out of happiness.
    It boggles my mind. Mike McCready layed down some beautiful solos, Stone was rock solis as usual, as was Matt Cameron - Jeff got to have some fun with the bass solos in Leaving Here - it was a good time, especially for a Monday night. I could go on and on -Present Tense...wow. A Pearl Jam is one of those occasions where one realises that rock'n 'roll---true rock 'n'roll, remains a subculture most consumer drones will never understand, and that's really saying something with the way everything cool gets co-opted these days. It was a beautiful night. There should be more of them. One love.

Where were your seats?

Chris
  • Options
    Sec 118 row 2. Best I've had a PJ show I'll tell you that. I'm sure the last-minute score of those tickets really helped elevate my experience, but that's really beside the point. That was just pure dumb luck. The show itself was a delight all unto itself.
  • Options
    Ahmen, righton.

I'm a 3yr 10C member but dont see it as some sort of "right of passage" to gripe aboot the setlist composition or aboot my seats. People seem to forget whats really going on & overlook the baser things of the *experience*.

I was THERE.
    I got to SEE.
    I got to HEAR.
    I felt the LOVE.

really now... is that NOT what it's about??
    I think so.
  • Options
    righton wrote:

Very well said.
  • Options
    righton wrote:
    Sec 118 row 2. Best I've had a PJ show I'll tell you that. I'm sure the last-minute score of those tickets really helped elevate my experience, but that's really beside the point. That was just pure dumb luck. The show itself was a delight all unto itself.

Damn! THose are some of the best seats in the house!

Chris
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    i think my biggest problem with the show was the gal sitting up behind the stage in the white t-shirt and no bra

i mean i'm a woman and i kept looking - it was like watching a train wreck
    bobbing up and down and poking through

what was she thinking?

release seems to be the best way to open a show in Toronto - we're pretty damn lucky for that!

porch was incredible!! - the most unexpected moment for me at any pearl jam show

a lot of rockin' out songs - go, animal, habit, save you..... - if I keep up the dancing I'm going to give myself baby-shake syndrome but it's what really helps make a show for me

strange me - the Bono thing was just kind of there for me - I thought it was really cool as I was in the front row for the first time ever in my entire life!!!

my first thoughts were of my U2 friends in the audience who had just seen Ed at their show

but I was still in the mode for more Pearl Jam

I love watching everybody during Harvest Moon - everybody snuggling and dancing (missed mine for Toronto -:()

and I'm sorry but Ed was pissed about something and I felt bad for him - I know he'd had guitar problems for a couple of shows now - he smashed the 1/2 full mirror on the ground, he threw the harmonica

I don't usually comment on that kind of thing because the music was bang on - but you could feel something was wrong

I got my first official Mike point!! - I always see him doing to people and it kind of took my off guard - but FUCKING COOL

:)

and one thing - I wish everybody would give Sleater Kinney a good listen

I was so on the fence with them for so long but they've COMPLETELY won me over - the music is so incredible IF YOU WOULD JUST LISTEN

they blew me away

I've also developed my first woman crush on Carrie Brownstein
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    i dunno about anyone else but imho the acoustic version of porch, alone, was worth the price of admission. absolutely incredible, totally unexpected and the version was perfect! nice job ed :)

oh ya and bono showed up ;)

complaints?? none!

they even allowed beer on the floor for the concert...thats the first time i've seen the ACC open up the floors to allow alcohol..and of course i took FULL advantage of that one ;)

yes, i was "that guy"

it was really nice to see some other 10c members from past tours sitting around me/us. that has got to be one of the best things about how they distribute tickets, because i always get to sit next to them(we have almost the same 10c#). you get a chance to see/chat with people you only see on tour. some damn good folks from the USA coming on up for the shows!

the love was everywhere
  • Options
    yes, i was "that guy"

So you're claiming to be him, the "Run & Tackle" guy?

a'ight... ya gotta prove it though.
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    we were already tired when we left for the show. Hubby had been up for nearly 2 days by the time show was over and I had only 2 hours of sleep with my youngest daughter's complaints about her earaches.

when we crossed the border and told the security where we were going. The guard responded, "Oh, I saw them for the first time in Hamilton! I've never seen any Live concerts like Pearl Jam! It was FANASTIC!!!"

We smiled and said yeah, they're the best at that! :)

We were easily irrirated, tired and hungry being stuck in traffic going to Toronto. It seemed like forever!

We saw a few jammers we saw last week as well as a few new ones hanging out by the bus, hoping the boys would come out. Never happened - not in my lifetime anyway. :p

We made a huge mistake of drinking before going in....it ruined us! geez.

We enjoyed Eddie's preset and rocked out to SK the entire time!

It took us forever to get some beer that we missed RELEASE!! We were sooo mad! :mad:

I'm not gonna go into every details, cuz some of them are repeated in this thread.

I smiled when Bono came out, I thought of Mel (ACC). :)

I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out with you guys after the show, we were just so overtired and hungry we decided to take the brutal trip back home!

But two poor saps, abookamongstthemany and her sweet love, EK were the only ones who saw us in this condition and they put up with us.

Bobby had a beef with Eddie doing "air laundry" on USA cuz he agrees with Eddie, but it bothered him that he's not telling us what to do or what he's doing. I think Eddie made a comment about him during the London show.
    I think it's his ability to stand up and state his opinions while Bobby can't - he works with pro bush and his company runs like one. He can't say anything without fear of losing his job.

But after meeting abook and EK, it did make him feel a little better - that Eddie does his job. That there are other people doing it - also doing it for those who can't.

I hope that wasn't the reason why Eddie didn't come out to greet the fans for a few minutes. :p

I did feel kinda left out being way out in section 120 while everyone else was in section 108, 110, or on the floor.

It was a good show, though. :)

xoxo
    Iam
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    Well, I thought I'd share this secret with you....I just received an iPod and it only cost me 99 cents. All you have to do is click this link http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=22444385 and then sign up for one month of Rheal Rhapsody, this amazing music service, for only 99 cents. You can cancel within 30 days and that's all you'll ever pay. Then post a message like this so five other people can sign up and your iPod will be on it's way. Believe me, I've done this and it works. It's 100% legit. If you have any questions or need help please feel free to email me at vedder34@hotmail.com
  • Options
    In my opinion....The best one in Canada
    If I had known then what I know now.....

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
    Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    This was my 4th and final show of this tour and I left Toronto very happy with the overwhelming majority of the crowd there.

Wished I hadn't missed Eddie's Porch pre-set opener.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - this band can disappoint us only because they have so many good songs they just don't have time to play on any given night.

Many highlights (Betterman crowd response was amazing) but the one for me this show was just watching the band gather around each other all night and just have fun jamming with each other to the tunes we all grew up on. To see those guys up there in such a groove was so cool and I'm looking forward to the new album.

Have fun and keep on rockin all of you in the East Coast and in Philly, Jersey, and Chicago and beyond

Thank you 10C
    Thank you PJ
  • Options
    This was a great show.

Generic songs? Sure, but I didn't really notice until it was over. The energy in the crowd was BIG. I was happy to be back on the floor rockin' out.

I'll admit Ed was having an off night. I think he was hung over. It's cool the band had some fun while they were in TO though.

There was a moment where Mike, Jeff and Stone were jamming together in a circle just grinning and cracking up at Ed's mistakes I assume. =)

Also, Leavin' Here was really fun live. I've never been a big fan of the recording, but it was one of my favourites last night.

I'm surprised there's not more buzz about this, but there was one song last night I have never heard before. Was it a cover or a new song?!? Does anyone know?
  • Options
    Basically it doesn't matter what I, or anyone says - if it sounds like it has one ounce of negativity, I'm going to get eaten alive. Knowing this, I will just say, having already seen the Kitchener and Hamilton show, I was somewhat dissapointed in the setlist only in that there wasn't really anything new or different. I am NOT saying that i didn't enjoy it, or that I regret going. One of the great things about this band, and the way I explain it to my friends when they ask why I would possibly go and see as many shows as I can is the fact that they change up the set list so much. I certainly understand that they are trying to play some stuff for the mass audience, and hell, I love that stuff too, but most shows they are able to please the mass audience and the hard core fans. I dont think anyone went away without a smile on their face, but a few rarities are always appreciated.
    The band can do wahtever they want and play whatever they want and I will still show up, but I am just saying I understand where people are coming from when they talk about the similarity in set lists. I'm really suprised too because I would have thought they would make a conscious effort not to do that, seing as though Kitchener, London, Hamilton and Toronto probebly drew a lot of the same people...

Oh and on the Bono note - yes that was cool (and predictable), but I showed up to see PJ not Bono, so that is definitly not the highlight. If that was the highlight for you, why didn't you go to the 8 million U2 shows before hand? I like u2 (well old u2), and it was definitly cool, but I don't understand why everyone thinks that was better then anythign else, or why that got the loudest applause...
  • Options
    What's with everyone booing Boom?

Chris
  • Options
    what song had you never heard before?
    was it a soft one with corin tucker singing backup?
    because that's neil young's harvest moon...
  • Options
    ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    Pearl Jam rocked the ACC!!! This was my 6th and final show for this Canadian tour and last nite was my 8th time seeing PJ live and I swear, with every show they just get better and better! I thought the crowd was on fire and the band totally fed off of that energy and gave it their all as they always do! I can't even pick a fave show from this tour, they were all spectacular and unique in their own way.

Thanks PJ for an unforgettable Canadian tour experience.. can't wait for the next tour!!!

:-)
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • Options
    I think that "booing" was actually the crowd saying "Boooomm".
    Kinda like the 'ol Bruce Springsteen bit, where the crowd would yell "Bruuucce" but it sounded like booing.
  • Options
    what song had you never heard before?
    was it a soft one with corin tucker singing backup?
    because that's neil young's harvest moon...

Nope not Harvest Moon.

It was a slow one with just Ed singing. Was I hallucinating?
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I am dying to know, how was Ed's pre-set version of Porch (my fav song)???

all4
  • Options
    Guncho wrote:
    What's with everyone booing Boom?

Chris

I don't think people are booing...they're saying "Boooooom"
  • Options
    PJ Sparks wrote:
    dawk20 wrote:
    The intro was a Sort of Homecoming. U2 song from unforgettable fire.

There was U2 references all night.

Thanks to U2 for opening for us :)

I knew somebody would catch that. Thanks for the help.

PJ Sparks
    ps. did anyone waiting by the buses ever get the band coming by? I waited til about 1-1:15. Just curious to those who stuck it out longer.

LOL. The band does not travel in buses.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

Oh and on the Bono note - yes that was cool (and predictable), but I showed up to see PJ not Bono, so that is definitly not the highlight. If that was the highlight for you, why didn't you go to the 8 million U2 shows before hand? I like u2 (well old u2), and it was definitly cool, but I don't understand why everyone thinks that was better then anythign else, or why that got the loudest applause...

I'm guessing the reason it was such a highlight and got such loud applause is because it's two great (if not legendary) rock singers performing a rock n' roll classic together in front of a crazy-ass crowd. You don't see that very often, and when it happens it's pretty damn cool. I wish I could have seen it.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Toronto was awesome...a generic set-list, but Present Tense, Leaving Here and Harvest Moon (holy crap! Neil fans rejoice!) were such a treat and so memorable.

A little request for the crowd..how about no more "Eddie" chants? They are starting to get frustrating. Yes, Ed is the best rock singer that has ever lived, but lets not forget there wouldn't be the same PJ magic without Jeff, Mike, Stone, and Matt. How about a "Pearl Jam" chant? There's 2 syllables..it works! Just a thought.

This Canadian tour has been amazing, I never would have dreamed I would hear my favourite band in my little hometown of London Ontario. It's been a dream, thanks Pearl Jam! It's sad my 3 show stint has now come to a close, but here's to a Canadian tour (please? pretty please?) in the future!
  • Options

it does matter what you say - you're trying to tell me how to feel about a musical performance...or that the way i feel about it is wrong or misguided.

i have seen pearl jam play all of the other songs save harvest moon...that was awesome...not a highlight...songs like that aren't highlights unless it was low light 2 years ago. seeing my favorite singers ever together singing the shit out of a GREAT tune...that's memorable...why is it memorable...because it's different...rockin' in the free world with pearl jam is just cake...rockin' in the free world with bono is cake with icing...

remember the 93 neil young and pearl jam performance?

everyone on stone's side of the venue got to see ed give bono a HUGE hug after rockin' in the free world - that was so awesome to see. goddam...it was so amazing. let me have it...stop trying to downplay something that i loved.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    my ears are still ringing!!! thanks mike and stone! and jeff and matt.
    and the toast of the 'old maple leaf garden'.
    EDIT: and ed and boom! almost forgot.
    is this on?
  • Options
    every show is a great show. bitches....

I'm using that for my sig! LOL!!
    "every show is a great show. bitches...." --twolegsyield
  • Options
    I was at two shows, Kitchener and T.O.

out of both combined I got to hear 37 DIFFERENT songs and 17 of those were repeated (so heard them twice), but how can they go a show without playing those (betterman, daugther, etc.)??? the casual fan would be devastated.

Plus, I got a couple of Ed acoustic solo's.

This die hard fan was extremely satisfied!!!!