Options

NOT MY HOMETOWN: dear america

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Next stop?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    nashville... im getting my country on. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    justam wrote:
    Find a good health food market. They'll have a variety of soy products. :)

ill be needing my personal chauffeur for that. ;):lol:

When you come to Tampa, I'll drive you to a great one. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    I miss nanny I want her to come home hows she going to sleep theres no hotels in India ..
    - the toddlermonster.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    Oh, this thread Catefrances... duh! :lol:

Where to next? What exciting things have you discovered? I hope you found a hotel there in Kurt Vonnegut's home state! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    Hey here is the something for cate travel thread...couldnt find the damn thing

Are you going to get a chance to get to the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville...or see any live music??? I bet the place is awesome! Have fun
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • Options
    bindy123 wrote:
    Hey here is the something for cate travel thread...couldnt find the damn thing

Are you going to get a chance to get to the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville...or see any live music??? I bet the place is awesome! Have fun

unfortunately i discovered too late that jack white was playing ryman when id be there. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Oh, this thread Catefrances... duh! :lol:

Where to next? What exciting things have you discovered? I hope you found a hotel there in Kurt Vonnegut's home state! :D

im not going to indiana.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    so yesterday arvo i spent my time watching that all american pastime of baseball. ive never been anywhere where the possibility of being bonked on the head by stray foul hits was so high.. heck ive never been anywhere where being hit by a foul ball was a possibility AT ALL. for the team, im guessing theyre a little league team(not a question i asked, but probably shoulda) i was there to watch it turned into a whole day of sudden death games to determine the champions. they won all their games and did become U13 champions. GO TITANS!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    so yesterday arvo i spent my time watching that all american pastime of baseball. ive never been anywhere where the possibility of being bonked on the head by stray foul hits was so high.. heck ive never been anywhere where being hit by a foul ball was a possibility AT ALL. for the team, im guessing theyre a little league team(not a question i asked, but probably shoulda) i was there to watch it turned into a whole day of sudden death games to determine the champions. they won all their games and did become U13 champions. GO TITANS!!

did you get bonked?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

did you get bonked?

nope.. and this one time a broken bat came flying over from the field behind us. it was a wtf moment for sure. :lol: i didnt even know aluminium bats could break.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    81 wrote:

did you get bonked?

:D:D:D
    I think she deliberately avoided answering that?
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • Options
    bindy123 wrote:
    81 wrote:

did you get bonked?

:D:D:D
    I think she deliberately avoided answering that?

i answered it... youre just trying to be provocative. :P 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ive never been anywhere where the possibility of being bonked on the head by stray foul hits was so high.. heck ive never been anywhere where being hit by a foul ball was a possibility AT ALL.

My sister and I were at a game one time sitting half way between home plate and first base. We were engaged in some kind of very involved and interesting discussion as often happens with us and not really paying attention to the game. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a high foul ball coming and instinctively help my hand palm up a few inches over her head and caught the ball. She never even noticed it had happened. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    okay so heres a little story about me and steve winwood....

back in the distant past i was fortunate enough to see steve winwood live. it was one of the highlights of my then young life. ever since i have been hoping hed return. in february 08 i found myself in NYC and winwood was in town.. a fact i didnt know until the very night. consequently i didnt get to see him. fast forward to last year and YEAH!!! an announcement that winwood would be coming back to oz...finally. i was excited. then i was gutted when it was announced the concert would be in october... when id be stateside for commitments i couldnt get out of.

so today i found myself in downtown st louis checking out the joint... as i do. i had just finalised my travel plans for nashville and chicago and picked up my tix. i ummed and ahhed and finally decided to leave for nashville on monday 14th may. excellent something i now didnt have to worry about. so i toddle off down the street past the scottrade center(i lower my head in commiseration for the recently defeated BLUES) and carried on up the street. so then i find myself standing in front of the peabody opera house lining up a photo op. while i was standing there an electronic display announced who would be playing in upcoming months. curious as i am i thought okay lets see whos coming to town... daughtry, fiona apple, idina menzel.. blah blah blah.. and then STEVE WINWOOD.. playing on monday may 14th. NOOOOOOOO. i knew i shouldve just taken the shot and walked on but nooo i had to stand there and see who was touring didnt i? ugh. so annoying. i doubt i will ever see him play live again... but i thought that as the years passed through the 90s and onto this century and ive been so close on.. well.. now 3 occasions.

oh and while i think about it.. st louis, where are all your people?.. downtown is like a ghost town. it freaks me out.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    :lol:

aren't you bored with st louis yet? or is something big going on down there? or did i miss something when i was down there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    no, not yet. i still got stuff to see. i did take an updated pic of the cardinals world series wins board.(last one i took was just hours before theyd won last year so '11 wasnt there) and one of all their lovely pennants fluttering in the breeze. oh and besides the cards are playing the cubs very soon and i want to see them kick some cub arses. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

oh and while i think about it.. st louis, where are all your people?.. downtown is like a ghost town. it freaks me out.

I didn't know that about St. Louis- that surprises me. Reminds me of a visit years ago to Akron, Ohio in the late 70's. The tire industry in that town had collapsed years previously and the place was very nearly vacant. I actually enjoyed the surreal, melancholy atmosphere at that time. I wrote about it in a poem which I'll post in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art.

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Hit The Dubliner and ask for James ;)

or was it Bob .... hmmm

St Louie is a gas! :D
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

I didn't know that about St. Louis- that surprises me. Reminds me of a visit years ago to Akron, Ohio in the late 70's. The tire industry in that town had collapsed years previously and the place was very nearly vacant. I actually enjoyed the surreal, melancholy atmosphere at that time. I wrote about it in a poem which I'll post in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art.

coming from sydney(which spoils me) its quite the mindfuck. im used to vibrant cities with people everywhere. theres basically no shops downtown. and st loo is a decent size city. it just seems downtowns not where its at. on my last trip i stayed in the area between busch stadium, the arch and scottrade centre so i thought id missed something. turns out i hadnt. i did come across some lovely old buildings which is my real city love. im gonna go back later in the week cause im determined to find something. and lets not forget i dont really know the city so...

p.s. i saw this really cool cards shirt in their merch shop.. so if for no other reason than that i gotta go back downtown.

GO CARDS!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    brianlux wrote:

coming from sydney(which spoils me) its quite the mindfuck. im used to vibrant cities with people everywhere. theres basically no shops downtown. and st loo is a decent size city. it just seems downtowns not where its at. on my last trip i stayed in the area between busch stadium, the arch and scottrade centre so i thought id missed something. turns out i hadnt. i did come across some lovely old buildings which is my real city love. im gonna go back later in the week cause im determined to find something. and lets not forget i dont really know the city so...

p.s. i saw this really cool cards shirt in their merch shop.. so if for no other reason than that i gotta go back downtown.

GO CARDS!!!
    While Jacksonville is nowhere near the size of Stl, our downtown is fairly lonely at night as well. More of a business district. The beach is where most of the nightlife is. I think you should say screw it and stay for Winwood. Or take a short trip and come back
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Cate and I should have been in Jacksonville tonight.

I'm kind of bummed about the fact that we're not!!!!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:

I know!!! Me too but it definitely makes Thanksgiving wkd more interesting 8-)
  • Options
    justam wrote:

That's true. I'm looking forward to that. 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    justam wrote:

That's true. I'm looking forward to that. 8-)[/quote
    So you're still coming up? No Cate though? :(
  • Options

no cate. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited May 2012

no cate. :(
    if i was any closer to st. louis it'd be fantabulous to meet up w/ you, catefrances. it would be fantabulous no matter the distance. problem is i just can't make it. currently my life has been turned upside down and inside out. anywho...

enjoy yourself, miss.

one thing i do know. st. louis zoo kicks a lot of fine ass. it used to be free and still may be. it used to be one only had to pay for parking. i suggest a long day's visit to the zoo. st. louis zoo has a very fine reptile house.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    While Jacksonville is nowhere near the size of Stl, our downtown is fairly lonely at night as well. More of a business district. The beach is where most of the nightlife is. I think you should say screw it and stay for Winwood. Or take a short trip and come back

i wasnt downtown at night... it was broad daylight. :lol: and yeah st louis downtown seems majorly to be a business district.

if i hadve found out earlier about winwood i couldve flipped my trip and gone to chicago first. but theres no guarantee the event isnt sold out so...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

downtown was fairly busy when we where there, but then again, there was a halloween costume convention and radiohead was playing the scottrade center that night.

i think washington st had a bunch of stuff, but we didn't venture over that way.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    if i hadve found out earlier about winwood i couldve flipped my trip and gone to chicago first. but theres no guarantee the event isnt sold out so...

plan ahead, get ahead. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg