Options

Dexter Season 8

Comments

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    mca47 wrote:
    While I did like this episode better than last week's, it still amazes me at how lazy the writing has become.

Saxon told Dexter that if he doesn't back off he'd go after Dexter's family. Ok, Dexter lured him in but why wouldn't he think Saxon would go after him and not anyone else in his family? Harrison, Hannah, Deb...who was with him but still! :fp:
    Ok, they find out the Feds are on to Hannah. Hannah going to the airport without any disguise. :fp: The airport!!!!! The most secure place one could possibly go, the one place that authorities would put on alert for a smoking hot blond serial killer. :fp: Why the fuck wouldn't they just drive to another state, lay low then fly out from there? Nope, gotta fly out of Miami with the Feds looking for her. :fp:
    Saxon getting caught. Ok, well done Deb and Dex! Fed guy releasing some random guy who he doesn't know sitting next to a table of knives at the very location he followed a detective to. Call it in? Nope. Find Deb to ask "hey, who's the guy strapped down on the table right next to a pile of knives? Nope. Did anyone else notice that when Deb went in to the hospital it was dark, then 10 minutes later when Dexter and her walk out to say their goodbye's it's at LEAST 10AM by how bright it was. Did they really sit and chitchat about things for 8 hours? :fp:
    Dark Passenger or not, there was no way Dexter of old would have let Saxon off. He knows EVERYTHING about Dexter and his family. Yeah, there is no evidence but there is no way Dexter would want any of that attention.
    Fed guy and private detective guy breaking in to Deb's house based off of a hunch? There is NO WAY that would ever happen without a warrant. What judge would issue a warrant to search a well known detective of Miami metro on a hunch? :roll:
    In years past there were always "Waaaaaait a minute" moments in the episodes. Now, it's every minute of every episode! It's like they are trying to just be done with it.
    Deb getting another non-fatal shot and not being able to hit a guy who was under the influence of a sedative for the last hour+ who managed to slip away. :fp:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And they've been on Hannah's trail for how long now? Why is she waiting around for Dexter? Couldn't she have gone on the run weeks ago instead of saying in Miami?

The scene at the bar with Masuka and his daughter was so awkward and unnecessary :roll:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    dougfloyd wrote:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And they've been on Hannah's trail for how long now? Why is she waiting around for Dexter? Couldn't she have gone on the run weeks ago instead of saying in Miami?

The scene at the bar with Masuka and his daughter was so awkward and unnecessary :roll:

Yeah, I know they mentioned that she'll stand out more if she's on her own. But what I don't get is that the Federal Marshall once said "This case has gone cold, she must be out of Miami". Ooook, I get wanting to be with Dexter...but once it was decided that they were moving to Argentina, why the fuck would they purchase a ticket on a commercial plane? She was about to board some float-plane before to get the hell outta town...at least past any type of security.
    "I think flying Delta through customs at Miami airport seems like a good f'n idea!" :fp:
    It pisses me off that they've dumbed down Dexter's character with their shitty writing.
    The Fed guy is hot on their trail and Dexter is really concerned with selling his boat and apartment.
    Buy a box of hair color, a fn hat, some sunglasses and drive to S. Carolina or some shit. Catch a flight from ANYWHERE other than Miami! :fp: F, this irritates me! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,295
    i never thought i would not be looking forward to the final episode of this show. i forgot it was tomorrow until i saw this thread. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Priorities for this evening.

Watch the Bears game. DVR Breaking Bad, Dexter.

Watch Breaking Bad after the Bears game.
    Watch Dexter sometime next week.

:lol:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,851
    Tonight's the night! :corn:
  • Options
    weak. should have watched breaking bad
  • Options
    I WANT TO FREAK OUT! I can't get this out of my head. Thinking back to earlier seasons of Dexter and thinking about him, his progression as a person, as well as Deb, and Quinn, etc... THIS JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!! I'm fucking angry. I mean it was emotional to a degree and shocking, yes... but what the actual fuck. None of it made sense. I wish I could re-write that season. Dexter's final scene made me want to punch something. NO! THAT IS NOT HOW DEXTER (THE CHARACTER) GOES OUT. None of it matched with the series/who they are/were/have become.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    A little disapointed in all of this.

About the only cool thing was when he killed saxon with the pen.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Watched the finale last night after Breaking Bad. I was not a huge fan of the episode. I'll just start with the ending. I get Dexter's reasoning for disappearing as sated on the show, but I just didn't buy him leaving his son (especially leaving his son with a murderer he hardly knows). I thought he was losing his need to kill because of Hannah, and if so, wouldn't Hannah and Harrison be safe from Dexter if he just lived a normal life. The ending just came out of the blue for me.

I also found the rest of the episode itself just kind of boring. I didn't think that Deb's death had the type of emotional impact that it should have.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Terrible ending. One of the worst ever. Thinking back, Season 4 with Trinity killer should have been the last season of this show. The way that ended with the absolute shock of Ritas death and Harrison sitting in the pool of blood, just like Dexter did when his mother was killed. There were some cliffhangers and entertaining parts during Seasons 5-8 but overall just seemed like an excuse to keep the show going. Not a happy camper after the confusing and utter cop-out they used as an ending to this show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I'm gonna buck the trend and say I didn't think it was too bad, I found the scenes with Deb at the end quite moving. As much as this season mostly sucked, I'm kind of sad it's all over - I've never taken to a tv series like I did Dexter, sad as it may seem I've kind of got an end of an era kind of feeling after following it for all this time.
  • Options
    I hope they retcon this season some day. I'm ok with Deb dying (though she was probably my favorite character), i was expecting it along with Dex, wouldnt have been shocked if Hannah or Harrison got it either. But how they did everything was lame, all season. The whole episode was full of cop outs, first it was all Deb is gonna be alright, nah switch-a-roo, gotcha there, then Elway catching Hannah, nah another cop out. Dexter going 'all sacrifice myself to protect people,' Sike im a lumberjack.

The whole emotional roller coaster of the episode was by misleading the audience, real lazy writing. It was bad enough they skipped everything dealing with Laguerta death's but for them not to have a scene dealing with Quinn, Masuka, Batista, and Matthew's reaction to Deb and Dex dead was a let down. For series finale it was weaker than most season finales.

And if i'm suppose to think Dex's dark passenger wont come back after isolating himself...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    What the fuck????

The opposite of what I wanted to happen, happened. Dexter lives but Deb f'ing dies....jesus.

Had to laugh when Dexter wheeled Debs body out of the hospital with no issue and put her on his boat .

At least its finally over. And what's with that cheesy stare to end the episode? I guess he's still a psycho.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    :fp:

That is all...

• Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Watched the finale last night after Breaking Bad. I was not a huge fan of the episode. I'll just start with the ending. I get Dexter's reasoning for disappearing as sated on the show, but I just didn't buy him leaving his son (especially leaving his son with a murderer he hardly knows). I thought he was losing his need to kill because of Hannah, and if so, wouldn't Hannah and Harrison be safe from Dexter if he just lived a normal life. The ending just came out of the blue for me.

I also found the rest of the episode itself just kind of boring. I didn't think that Deb's death had the type of emotional impact that it should have.

i think when deb died (or when he killed her) the emotions he had started to feel over the years disappeared. he realized he can never be normal so that's why he went the exile route. as with this entire season, there were flaws in just about every scene of this episode and i don't even feel like pointing them out again but, overall, i'm okay with how it ended. a series like dexter never should have had a happy ending. the guy's a serial killer, after all.

i also liked him wearing his kill uniform and dumping deb out to sea since he's the one who ruined her life and ultimately killed her (i'm willing to overlook the utterly ridiculous way he removed her from the hospital for the emotional payoff out on his boat).

it looks like he's become a more cold blooded serial killer without a code now? that stare at the end was kinda freaky. i guess it opens the door for them to revisit dexter in a movie? hopefully the original writers handle that project. :lol:

and i agree with what others said in that i do feel kinda sad that it's over. the show got progressively worse since season 4 but it was the show that filled that post sopranos void for me and i still looked forward to it every sunday night in the fall. gonna miss it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    It was so bad. I don't remember being so angry and disappointed at a show ending in my life.

The writing was so bad and the things I was asked to suspend belief for really insulted my intelligence as a viewer.

I read an interview that the writers conducted with Entertainment Weekly and they said the ending was perfect because Dexter ended up leading a solitary life when all he wanted was human connection. What show were they watching?

From the hospital scene where he steals his dead sister to Hannah parading around Miami with no disguise...it was all pretty bad. And the scene where Batista questions him about killing Saxton...whatever.

Deb deserved a better ending for her character.

This went from a show that I thought was one of the best out there to an absolute train-wreck.

The main thing is that I know how great it could have been (see Breaking Bad) and instead it went out with a sad low-pitched whimper.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I hope they retcon this season some day. I'm ok with Deb dying (though she was probably my favorite character), i was expecting it along with Dex, wouldnt have been shocked if Hannah or Harrison got it either. But how they did everything was lame, all season. The whole episode was full of cop outs, first it was all Deb is gonna be alright, nah switch-a-roo, gotcha there, then Elway catching Hannah, nah another cop out. Dexter going 'all sacrifice myself to protect people,' Sike im a lumberjack.

The whole emotional roller coaster of the episode was by misleading the audience, real lazy writing. It was bad enough they skipped everything dealing with Laguerta death's but for them not to have a scene dealing with Quinn, Masuka, Batista, and Matthew's reaction to Deb and Dex dead was a let down. For series finale it was weaker than most season finales.

And if i'm suppose to think Dex's dark passenger wont come back after isolating himself...

Yep. This whole season was garbage and they topped it off with an awful series finale.

The writing on this show became so lazy and just plain bad. I do like that Dexter didn't get the happy ending with him, Harrison, and Hannah getting to Argentina, but the way that it got there was so fucking ridiculous.
  • Options
    I've been reading a few articles on EW today. One is an interview with the current show-runner...the explanation about the final season is interesting (not in a good way). I think the writers got too far in their head and wanted to outsmart the audience.

The head-writer was asked why Hannah didn't change her appearance and she quoted some study where folks on the run don't really change their appearance that much. :fp:

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    [/quote]

i also liked him wearing his kill uniform and dumping deb out to sea since he's the one who ruined her life and ultimately killed her (i'm willing to overlook the utterly ridiculous way he removed her from the hospital for the emotional payoff out on his boat).

[/quote]

notice the use of imagery where she was wrapped in white (an innocent person) and all of his past kills were wrapped in black plastic (guilty). really deep stuff there :lol:
  • Options
    Release Me wrote:

notice the use of imagery where she was wrapped in white (an innocent person) and all of his past kills were wrapped in black plastic (guilty). really deep stuff there :lol:

...only she wasn't an innocent...she killed a woman in cold blood.

PBM

• Options
    I've been reading a few articles on EW today. One is an interview with the current show-runner...the explanation about the final season is interesting (not in a good way). I think the writers got too far in their head and wanted to outsmart the audience.

The head-writer was asked why Hannah didn't change her appearance and she quoted some study where folks on the run don't really change their appearance that much. :fp:

PBM

Pretty sure if I was on the run, that would be my first priority. Cut/dye hair, wear hat, sunglasses...change appearance. The pink dress was phenomenal but :fp: THEN she goes to the airport wearing another smokin' little dress! Even if she was wearing a garbage bag, Hannah is hot as shit and would draw attention.
    Hannah: "Hmmm...the feds are after me...what can I wear to not draw attention? I know, this smoking hot dress! Yeah, nobody will look my way!" :fp:

They buy the bus ticket, walk out to the bus, say their goodbyes and that is enough time for a security guy to a) notice her b) call PI guy and c) PI guy to drive all the way to the bus station, sneak on the bus without her seeing and find a seat right next to her...without her seeing.

So Dexter drops Deb's body in the ocean, then drives into the storm. Clearly he had a lifeboat with a motor attached that we didn't see so he could escape the storm. A boat like that cannot get ripped apart in open water. Capsize...yes...be ripped apart? No. Unless we assume Dexter pulled out a saw and sawed it to pieces before hopping on his mysterious life raft and escaping to lumberjack-land.
    All season, Dexter begun to understand his emotions. He didn't need to kill anymore, he was deeply in love with Hannah, Harrison (obviously) and Deb. He in a matter of minutes decides that he can't be around those he cares for because they end up dead...despite knowing that his dark passenger no longer exists. This really dumbed down Dexter as a character and the overall character building they were trying so hard to display all season.
    Him letting Harrison go with Hannah. A girl who her ENTIRE life has gotten into trouble, met the wrong people, and been forced into bad situations. Clearly he is in safe hands with this girl in another country who doesn't have a job, money or anything else. Harrison is much safer now! :fp:
    The "happy ending" that most people seemed to want would have actually made far more sense.

Bautista and Quinn probably realized what Dexter did when he killed Saxon, yet let him walk away without an investigation. Makes sense. Self defense or not, there would ALWAYS be an investigation/interrogation/etc. Sympathetic or not, there was no way they'd let him walk away like that.

Dexter wheeling Deb's body out of the hospital and loading it onto his boat didn't draw the attention of anyone? :fp:

I know TV shows don't usually reflect real-life situations, but C'MON! The entire episode was one bullshit thing after another. :fp:

So glad it's over because I couldn't take much more! :x
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

Pretty sure if I was on the run, that would be my first priority. Cut/dye hair, wear hat, sunglasses...change appearance. The pink dress was phenomenal but :fp: THEN she goes to the airport wearing another smokin' little dress! Even if she was wearing a garbage bag, Hannah is hot as shit and would draw attention.
    Hannah: "Hmmm...the feds are after me...what can I wear to not draw attention? I know, this smoking hot dress! Yeah, nobody will look my way!" :fp:

They buy the bus ticket, walk out to the bus, say their goodbyes and that is enough time for a security guy to a) notice her b) call PI guy and c) PI guy to drive all the way to the bus station, sneak on the bus without her seeing and find a seat right next to her...without her seeing.

So Dexter drops Deb's body in the ocean, then drives into the storm. Clearly he had a lifeboat with a motor attached that we didn't see so he could escape the storm. A boat like that cannot get ripped apart in open water. Capsize...yes...be ripped apart? No. Unless we assume Dexter pulled out a saw and sawed it to pieces before hopping on his mysterious life raft and escaping to lumberjack-land.
    All season, Dexter begun to understand his emotions. He didn't need to kill anymore, he was deeply in love with Hannah, Harrison (obviously) and Deb. He in a matter of minutes decides that he can't be around those he cares for because they end up dead...despite knowing that his dark passenger no longer exists. This really dumbed down Dexter as a character and the overall character building they were trying so hard to display all season.
    Him letting Harrison go with Hannah. A girl who her ENTIRE life has gotten into trouble, met the wrong people, and been forced into bad situations. Clearly he is in safe hands with this girl in another country who doesn't have a job, money or anything else. Harrison is much safer now! :fp:
    The "happy ending" that most people seemed to want would have actually made far more sense.

Bautista and Quinn probably realized what Dexter did when he killed Saxon, yet let him walk away without an investigation. Makes sense. Self defense or not, there would ALWAYS be an investigation/interrogation/etc. Sympathetic or not, there was no way they'd let him walk away like that.

Dexter wheeling Deb's body out of the hospital and loading it onto his boat didn't draw the attention of anyone? :fp:

I know TV shows don't usually reflect real-life situations, but C'MON! The entire episode was one bullshit thing after another. :fp:

So glad it's over because I couldn't take much more! :x

x 1000.

PBM

• Options
    Former showrunner details how he would have ended the series.

PBM

• Options

PBM

Yeah, I saw that :lol: They also stated that they thought having Miami Metro figuring out what Dexter was would be "very predictable and non-interesting." So having a big bad, same as they do every year (and a lame one at that) was less predictable and more interesting? :roll:

I like this one, too: Have to ask: How did Dex get from his boat to the shore in the middle of a hurricane?
    BUCK: Hopefully it’s not a question that will be examined too closely.

I think that's what the writers were hoping the entire season. :fp:
    Here's the interview in case anyone is interested. http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexte ... es-finale/
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Very good article. I agree about the Deb confession this season...that could have really helped end the show well...instead, a cop, who should be questioning the death of a captain, shrugs it off as "Yeah, Deb you feel guilty about her death".

It's frustrating because it could have been really great.

PBM

• Options
    Better Dan wrote:

PBM

Yeah, I saw that :lol: They also stated that they thought having Miami Metro figuring out what Dexter was would be "very predictable and non-interesting." So having a big bad, same as they do every year (and a lame one at that) was less predictable and more interesting? :roll:

I like this one, too: Have to ask: How did Dex get from his boat to the shore in the middle of a hurricane?
    BUCK: Hopefully it’s not a question that will be examined too closely.

I think that's what the writers were hoping the entire season. :fp:
    Here's the interview in case anyone is interested. http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexte ... es-finale/

Since Hannah’s a wanted fugitive, couldn’t she have at least put on a ball cap when walking around Miami?
    BUCK: We played with the idea of dyeing her hair. In the research we did on fugitives we learned there are countless fugitives out there just walking around that nobody is really looking for. There aren’t funds to hunt down every one of them — particularly Hannah, as she hasn’t been convicted of a crime. She’s not high priority. We put her in sunglasses. Otherwise we didn’t want to call more attention to it.

yeah...she's not a high priority. :roll: it's not like a huge part of the 2nd half of this season was spent focusing on how hunted a woman she actually is. give me a break.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't hate the finale, but it wasn't great.

I agree with the many reasons listed above.

My personal biggest beef with the ending was Dexter leaving Harrison with Hannah. That was his great plan after all his talk about Harrison being the most important person in his life? Completely out of character. I can buy that Dexter felt that he was dangerous to his loved ones and that he didn't like the emotions that he was feeling, but not that he would do that to Harrison.

And perhaps the most idiotic writing for the whole season was Hannah not attempting any disguise while in Miami. Please!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Better Dan wrote:
    nice!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”