Options

Dexter Season 8

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Just saw the finale and I agree with many of the comments here... It just felt rushed and out of place.
    Another really really terrible production aspect was dexter in his boat during the hurricane -- seas are almost always 10+ feet waves/swells. The ocean was way too calm.

I think a prefect ending would've been after Saxon was brought into custody at the end that Dexter shouldve walked into the interrogation room and killed Saxon in front of Quinn and Bautista. Then dexter goes to prison and starts killing inmates on a regular basis. Then show Harrison kicking a dog in Argentina.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/showtime-says-dexter-spinoff-is-still-possible-and-would-be-about-dexter-himself

Dexter spinoff would be about Dexter? Wow this is lame... So what is the show gonna be about a mopey lumberjack? All his coworkers hate him cause all he does is talk about how his girlfriend ran off with his son and how his sister is dead, along with his parents, and his brother tried to kill his sister once, but that isnt why she is dead now. Then after being mocked for 8 hours at work he goes home and stares at the wall...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/showtime-says-dexter-spinoff-is-still-possible-and-would-be-about-dexter-himself

Dexter spinoff would be about Dexter? Wow this is lame... So what is the show gonna be about a mopey lumberjack? All his coworkers hate him cause all he does is talk about how his girlfriend ran off with his son and how his sister is dead, along with his parents, and his brother tried to kill his sister once, but that isnt why she is dead now. Then after being mocked for 8 hours at work he goes home and stares at the wall...

Didn't they ruin this character and series enough with the lsat 2-3 seasons? I still can't get over how bad that final season was. Just let it go, Showtime.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Just finished Season 8 and was very disappointed! At its peak this show was unbelievable. I just don't think they could ever do better than the Trinity killer. Did the show change writers at some point because the last 3-4 seasons just fell apart.

Fortunately Breaking Bad was awesome. Gives me hope that shows can have satisfying endings
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    jervin007 said:

Just finished Season 8 and was very disappointed! At its peak this show was unbelievable. I just don't think they could ever do better than the Trinity killer. Did the show change writers at some point because the last 3-4 seasons just fell apart.

Fortunately Breaking Bad was awesome. Gives me hope that shows can have satisfying endings

I was wondering the same thing.
    Unfortunately, what was also awesome about the first 4-5 seasons was the commentary by Dexter. I noticed that it seemed to to dwindle later on maybe because they felt like the viewers knew him well enough. But his witty and dark voice over commentary is what drew me in initially. I think the silly plots started getting in the way of that in the end.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The show had quite a bit of behind the scenes writing changes during it's run. The original show-runner left after season 2, the second show-runner left after season 4 (the trinity season) along with the head writer at the time. The writer in charge of season 5 left after that one season and the last 3 seasons (the worst of the show, IMO) all had the same show-runner.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options

The show had quite a bit of behind the scenes writing changes during it's run. The original show-runner left after season 2, the second show-runner left after season 4 (the trinity season) along with the head writer at the time. The writer in charge of season 5 left after that one season and the last 3 seasons (the worst of the show, IMO) all had the same show-runner.

It's a shame that there were so many issues behind the scenes. It's crazy how bad those last 3 seasons were when you compare it to the first 5 seasons. That series finale is still one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

It's a shame that there were so many issues behind the scenes. It's crazy how bad those last 3 seasons were when you compare it to the first 5 seasons. That series finale is still one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
    Agreed. Dexter should have never had to take care of a baby. Totally changed the character

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 said:

Agreed. Dexter should have never had to take care of a baby. Totally changed the character

....he conveniently never took care of him though. he's the only single parent in the history of the world who never had a problem getting a sitter on short notice....ever day of the week. haha. god the writing was horrible these last few years.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

jervin007 said:

....he conveniently never took care of him though. he's the only single parent in the history of the world who never had a problem getting a sitter on short notice....ever day of the week. haha. god the writing was horrible these last few years.

Oh man he is the worst father! The writing the last 3 years had so many plot holes....it was bad. Kinda wish I stopped watching after season 5. Season 5 was OK, but after that it was straight downhill.

I like that some shows like Breaking Bad and now Boardwalk Empire seem to know when the time is right to go.
  • Options
    Between this, the Sopranos movie, Curb, and Succession coming back.....gonna be one hell of a fall

https://youtu.be/l9H1uSS_zkk
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    And now I have to get Showtime too.

Fuckers. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    hedonist said:

Fuckers. 
    I got rid of it then picked it back up to binge that Your Honor show....and then forgot to get rid of it again. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    hedonist said:

Fuckers. 
    Yup. Same here
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Gonna be good from the look of that trailer.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Trailer looks great
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    mfc2006 said:
    Trailer looks great
    I think so too. It seems like a good sign that a lot of the people involved with the show has basically admitted the ending to season 8 was awful. So that gives me hope for this new one.

Anyone else notice that Dex's love interest cop looks very similar to Deb? 

Also....is Deb dead? I can't even remember but did he kill her in the last episode? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Trailer looks great
    I think so too. It seems like a good sign that a lot of the people involved with the show has basically admitted the ending to season 8 was awful. So that gives me hope for this new one.

Anyone else notice that Dex's love interest cop looks very similar to Deb? 

Also....is Deb dead? I can't even remember but did he kill her in the last episode? 
    I thought she was....I may need to re-watch the last season.

Maybe these are flashbacks? 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    He is imagining her, I believe...also dont remember so clearly but pretty sure she died.
  • Options
    I think she died too. And definitely saw the resemblance. 
  • Options
    Ah, just checked. Blood clot death, body into ocean. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    She died of a blood clot?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    hedonist said:
    I forgot so much. 

Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    I forgot so much. 

Oohhhh yeah.....yeah that ending sucked. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    I forgot so much. 

Oohhhh yeah.....yeah that ending sucked. 
    Oh man it was so bad.  Dexter just walking out of the hospital holding a corpse and no one stopped him.  It was so absurd.  Really hope they make everything right with this reboot.  Showtime just never knows when to cancel a hit show.  Dexter, Shameless, Homeland were all great shows that just went on way too long.
  • Options
    My crush on Ms. Linney notwithstanding, The Big C was stellar. 
  • Options
    I forgot about the character Quinn until I read that recap.  I hated that fucking guy. 
  • Options
    Yeah Quinn sucked. Horrible actor too. For a show I really, really liked the acting was mostly not that good. I remember Deb being horrendous actually. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I liked Deb and Angel as well.