2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    hi rygar! :wave: :mrgreen:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    and fighting has done what to make the game safer!??
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Rygar wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • The Flames have just fired Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod. These moves were destined to happen, just kind surprised they happened now and not in the offseason.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Scientists Believe Hockey Players May Communicate By Banging Sticks Against Boards

Sports News in Brief • Sports • hockey • ISSUE 49•50 • Dec 13, 2013

PALO ALTO, CA—Shedding light on how hockey players convey information without an advanced verbal language, a study published this week by Stanford biologists has found that players may communicate by banging their sticks against wooden boards surrounding the rink. “We found that hockey players can use stick-banging to indicate anything from disagreement with a referee to encouragement of their teammates,” said lead researcher Dr. Margaret Cundiff, who explained that players typically strike the boards a single time with force when they want to display anger, or use multiple softer taps in order to display approval. “Sometimes, an entire bench full of players will begin banging the boards in unison—either signaling that a goal has occurred, or that the players want a goal to occur. This actually lets hockey players ‘speak’ to each other, if you will, in surprisingly complex ways far beyond what was previously anticipated. They are truly magnificent creatures.” The study also concluded that hockey fans’ common behavior of pounding their hands against the glass while emitting a series of guttural grunts serves no discernible purpose
  • Jason P wrote:
    Scientists Believe Hockey Players May Communicate By Banging Sticks Against Boards

PALO ALTO, CA—Shedding light on how hockey players convey information without an advanced verbal language, a study published this week by Stanford biologists has found that players may communicate by banging their sticks against wooden boards surrounding the rink. “We found that hockey players can use stick-banging to indicate anything from disagreement with a referee to encouragement of their teammates,” said lead researcher Dr. Margaret Cundiff, who explained that players typically strike the boards a single time with force when they want to display anger, or use multiple softer taps in order to display approval. “Sometimes, an entire bench full of players will begin banging the boards in unison—either signaling that a goal has occurred, or that the players want a goal to occur. This actually lets hockey players ‘speak’ to each other, if you will, in surprisingly complex ways far beyond what was previously anticipated. They are truly magnificent creatures.” The study also concluded that hockey fans’ common behavior of pounding their hands against the glass while emitting a series of guttural grunts serves no discernible purpose

Is this serious? Pretty funny stuff if so. It is like an article about the intelligence of dolphins and how they communicate.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:

Is this serious? Pretty funny stuff if so. It is like an article about the intelligence of dolphins and how they communicate.
    Nah, I forgot to post the link to the onion. :P

(Although the onion seems to be more reputable then most major news feeds these days :| )
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    uh oh Malkin just played D on a 2 on 1 and fell and when flying into the boards behind the net feet first

right knee absorbed the shock, did not look good
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    smarchee wrote:
    uh oh Malkin just played D on a 2 on 1 and fell and when flying into the boards behind the net feet first

right knee absorbed the shock, did not look good

Didn't see it read about it though ... Guess he was moving around with a noticeable limp after the game, just have to wait for the MRI.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    thoughts on thornton's 15 game suspension? ... and his appeal?
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:

it was a very dirty play but i think he is going to win the appeal and it go down to 8 games. the major issue is that they don't seem to have any sort of reason as to how they come up with games.
    polaris_x wrote:

It should have been longer, much longer. The way I see it the nhl either a) has to ban fighting and eject combatants from the game and suspend the players involved or b) eliminate the instigator and teams can carry an enforcer like they used to.

Hockey's not the only physical sport but the hockey players seem more often than not want to start a fight even after clean hits.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

it was a very dirty play but i think he is going to win the appeal and it go down to 8 games. the major issue is that they don't seem to have any sort of reason as to how they come up with games.

8 games would be a crime.

John Scott got 7 (as well as false outrage from the hockey world) for a borderline hit that was legitimate 3 years ago. Lost his appeal.

The difference between Thornton and Bertuzzi is only a broken neck.

This Erickson has to learn to play contact hockey and keep his head up or he isnt long for the league
    i'm relatively familiar with head injuries and honestly, i think they need to go to a zero tolerance policy on this ... i respect that thornton has no prior history and is respected by other gms but this stuff is only getting worse ...

on another note - emery should have been suspended earlier in the season ...as it's kind of similar ...
    Some of these players need to start acting like men ... If you get smoked with a solid hit ... Get up dust yourself off and move on, they do need to start pushing and shoving and look to drop the gloves like they do.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Some of these players need to start acting like men ... If you get smoked with a solid hit ... Get up dust yourself off and move on, they do need to start pushing and shoving and look to drop the gloves like they do.

it's not so much that as the code of sticking up for your teammates ... it didn't matter erickson got hit by a clean check ... it's about defending your teammate ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

it's not so much that as the code of sticking up for your teammates ... it didn't matter erickson got hit by a clean check ... it's about defending your teammate ...

Is hitting part of hockey? Yes it is. So why when you get smoked by a clean hit do you need defending? Football a violent, hard hitting game and week in week out I see guys getting smoked will legal and illegal hits, don't see fights breaking out after whistles or scuffles after whistles. The NHL looks more and more bush league ... IMO. Part of the reason I hardly watch the game anymore.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Is hitting part of hockey? Yes it is. So why when you get smoked by a clean hit do you need defending? Football a violent, hard hitting game and week in week out I see guys getting smoked will legal and illegal hits, don't see fights breaking out after whistles or scuffles after whistles. The NHL looks more and more bush league ... IMO. Part of the reason I hardly watch the game anymore.

all i'm saying is that it has nothing to do with not taking the hit like a man as you said ... it's about this code that if one of your teammates gets smoked - someone has to stick up for him ... especially when it's one of your skilled players ...
    they need to increase the size of the rinks.

They cant renovate every building, so mandate it starting with the new Detroit rink and the expansion ones. Grandfather in the old ice surfaces until their buildings are replaced or majorly renovated.

Also increase the size of the nets by 1' x 1'
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    MayDay10 wrote:
    they need to increase the size of the rinks.

They cant renovate every building, so mandate it starting with the new Detroit rink and the expansion ones. Grandfather in the old ice surfaces until their buildings are replaced or majorly renovated.

Also increase the size of the nets by 1' x 1'

sadly, i don't see that happening with the ice size. owners don't want to spend that money.

some changes that we could see is get the red line back into the game and get that stupid trapizod out of that game. also, for the 1st time in my life i actually agree with Brian Burke and let players bear hug players close to the board without a penalty .
    Everyone must see the butt goal
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    MayDay10 wrote:

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88FwDoxgsao
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    MayDay10 wrote:

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88FwDoxgsao

So funny! Feel bad for the goalie but I heard on sportscenter that they might have gotten the call wrong? Anyone know the rule?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    its fine.

Basically if the ref loses sight of the puck they should blow the whistle.

The fact is, less than a second elapsed between the time the puck ends up in Smith's ass and his ass ending up in the net.

Its the same thing if a goalie catches it with the glove and the glove ends up in the net.

This also happened
    http://instagram.com/p/iSvSs3I1Xj/
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    i just realized with the new reallignment and divisions they also redid how the playoffs work.

Top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs than 2 teams with the best record in each conference? :?

I don't like it. I'm still not a huge fan of the new division and conferences but i think they should have kept the old palyoff system with just the top 8 teams in each conference.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    first of all - what the cuss happened to this board ... can anyone tell me of a successful website redesign?

secondly - can't believe st. louis did not make this team ... wow ... if stamkos can't go - hopefully, he is #1 on the wait list
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited January 2014
    polaris_x said:

first of all - what the cuss happened to this board ... can anyone tell me of a successful website redesign?

secondly - can't believe st. louis did not make this team ... wow ... if stamkos can't go - hopefully, he is #1 on the wait list

Giroux is my only surprise. No easy choices with who gets left off this team.

Post edited by dignin on
    edited January 2014
    polaris_x said:

first of all - what the cuss happened to this board ... can anyone tell me of a

polaris_x said:

The new website design sucks big time. I would much rather have St Louis over Nash.

Here’s a look at the players selected for Canada's Roster

Forwards:
    Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh), Jonathan Toews (Chicago), Patrice Bergeron (Boston), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim), John Tavares (New York Islanders), Matt Duchene (Colorado), Patrick Sharp (Chicago), Chris Kunitz (Pittsburgh), Jamie Benn (Dallas), Patrick Marleau (San Jose), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay), Corey Perry (Anaheim), Rick Nash (NY Ranger), Jeff Carter (L.A.)
    Defence:

Shea Weber (Nashville), Duncan Keith (Chicago), Jay Bouwmeester (St. Louis), Alex Pietrangelo (St. Louis), Drew Doughty (L.A.), Marc-Edouard Vlasic (San Jose), PK Subban (Montreal), Dan Hamhuis (Vancouver)

Goalies: Carey Price (Montreal), Roberto Luongo (Vancouver), Mike Smith (Phoenix)