Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,284

The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.

Simply put... no.

It's a 'punishment' that should be used as a response for the most grievous 'crimes' of murder we are forced to deal with (such as the bastard who raped and killed an 11 month infant discussed a page ago).

Any action taken at all can be considered 'revenge' so again... no. If you are going to call the DP revenge, then you would need to do the same as life in prison. Your preference doesn't establish anything.

And I can agree that it does do very little to deter people from committing crimes, but as has been established already... with its limited application (something like 0.004 percent of all murders receive the DP within DP states)... it has hardly had the chance to definitively prove one way or another its effectiveness as a deterrent.
    So you're saying (state sanctioned) murder is a punishment for murder?
    I don't call it murder. You do.
    purposely ending a life is murder by definition.
    a group of crows is defined as such as well
    how does that apply to this particular discussion?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.

Simply put... no.

It's a 'punishment' that should be used as a response for the most grievous 'crimes' of murder we are forced to deal with (such as the bastard who raped and killed an 11 month infant discussed a page ago).

Any action taken at all can be considered 'revenge' so again... no. If you are going to call the DP revenge, then you would need to do the same as life in prison. Your preference doesn't establish anything.

And I can agree that it does do very little to deter people from committing crimes, but as has been established already... with its limited application (something like 0.004 percent of all murders receive the DP within DP states)... it has hardly had the chance to definitively prove one way or another its effectiveness as a deterrent.
    How a word in society has different definitions.

• Options

Simply put... no.

Why you needed to answer that question fails me.

If the DP is murder... then it goes without saying that imprisoning people is kidnapping them.

Ridiculous.

* I can accept 'execution' as an appropriate term for the DP though. For example: The serial murderer was executed for raping and murdering 12 children. 'Murdered' just doesn't fit. Sorry. And not even a good try.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited April 2015

Simply put... no.

Simply put... no.

Why you needed to answer that question fails me.

If the DP is murder... then it goes without saying that imprisoning people is kidnapping them.

Ridiculous.

* I can accept 'execution' as an appropriate term for the DP though. For example: The serial murderer was executed for raping and murdering 12 children. 'Murdered' just doesn't fit. Sorry. And not even a good try.

Semantics...its a fine line isn't it?
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I never quoted you because for some reason... the quotes appeared like a spectrum in your post.

For me, it's not a fine line. I can see what you mean, but I'm just stuck on the natural and obvious consequences for certain crimes.

I read and watch documentaries and movies with murderers and inevitably feel something for the offender; however, as badly as I might end up feeling for that person... I only need to think of what they have done and those feelings of empathy disappear.

I think it comes down to how one chooses to maintain their focus.
  • Options

I never quoted you because for some reason... the quotes appeared like a spectrum in your post.

For me, it's not a fine line. I can see what you mean, but I'm just stuck on the natural and obvious consequences for certain crimes.

I read and watch documentaries and movies with murderers and inevitably feel something for the offender; however, as badly as I might end up feeling for that person... I only need to think of what they have done and those feelings of empathy disappear.

Natural consequences? Theyre only 'natural' because our so called civilised society have made it so. Somehow weve made it the norm to accept execution as punishment. I can not be one of those who sees it as such. I thought as a society wedve moved past killing our own for punishment.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Natural consequences? Theyre only 'natural' because our so called civilised society have made it so. Somehow weve made it the norm to accept execution as punishment. I can not be one of those who sees it as such. I thought as a society wedve moved past killing our own for punishment.
    So what are you?
  • Options

So we would be extremely civilized if we make the killer say sorry?

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. A serial or mass murderer shouldn't be expecting kindness when we catch and confront them, nor should anybody else.

And we are not 'killing our own'... we are punishing someone who has opted to step out of society in as brutal fashion as possible- 'hardly human' despite the definition of the term (semantics works for both sides of this discussion).
  • Options
    edited April 2015

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. A serial or mass murderer shouldn't be expecting kindness when we catch and confront them, nor should anybody else.

And we are not 'killing our own'... we are punishing someone who has opted to step out of society in as brutal fashion as possible- 'hardly human' despite the definition of the term (semantics works for both sides of this discussion).
    Absolutely not. Simply saying sorry doesn't cut it. Killers should be removed from free society. They should pay for the life theyve take by being incarcerated for the term of their natural life. No chance of parole.
    And yes we are killing our own unless of course you think that ALL murderers somehow become less human simply because they kill.

who are we executing murderers for anyway? It can't be for the murdered cause theyre dead and can no longer care. So if we execute for no one but ourselves how can we deem ourselves any better than the executed? Do we think we have right on our side? Afterall an eye for an eye turns the whole world blind.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015

Nt be for the murdered ause theyre dead and can no longer.
    ?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

I don't agree with this. Imprisonment can, and should, be about sequestration from society. I don't think prison should be used for non-violent offenses at all, we should get away from the archaic penal style system.
    What constitutes a non-violent offense and what should be the punishment instead?
    Getting away from the archaic penal style system is great if one can offer a suggestion along with the observation.
    A non-violent offense is one that doesn't entail violence. Duh. Theft in it's many forms and drug offenses mostly.
    A suggestion? That's obvious, instead of putting people away where they only burden society, put them to work to better society.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Newton's laws of motion aren't remotely applicable to the workings of human ccivilization.
    You are avoiding the point entirely, it isn't about showing kindness, it is about exercising absolute morality.
  • Options
    It's not a very strong debate tactic to ignore the content and intent of your adversary while making a caricature of them based off your own thoughts. Nobody came close to suggesting murderers should only say sorry or that we should show them kindness.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Newton's laws of motion aren't remotely applicable to the workings of human ccivilization.
    You are avoiding the point entirely, it isn't about showing kindness, it is about exercising absolute morality.
    Karma suggests the same thing.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It's not a very strong debate tactic to ignore the content and intent of your adversary while making a caricature of them based off your own thoughts. Nobody came close to suggesting murderers should only say sorry or that we should show them kindness.

Someone said the DP was murder. It's not. It's a punishment. They also said civilized societies don't execute child murderers. I asked if we would be extra civilized if we made them say sorry (followed by an explanation of what I meant). The point and question were fair given one has introduced the idea of a heightened civilization based on its response to a crime. Are there limits to our level of advancement? If you are going to say we are advanced for not executing serial murderers... could we be even more advanced and not even imprison people?

And you are remiss to take that question out of context and offer it as evidence towards poor discussion skills, but I'm not surprised. I mean... if you are going to be the DP moderator, then perhaps you should look at Callen's last few passion driven pieces of hyperbole and exaggeration as well and take exception to those? Chadwick gets ripped for offering his based on his position in this discussion. But you wouldn't do that right? Because it fits your belief set right? You had already nodded your head in agreement right? Yah... take exception with my submissions... but nod in agreement for posts that mirror the style you adamantly oppose when they don't work for you.

* I'm okay with submissions such as Callen's for the record. His last two have been from the heart and as much as I feel they don't further the discussion, they are fair given he's reflecting his position (and he's a good guy).
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

I don't agree with this. Imprisonment can, and should, be about sequestration from society. I don't think prison should be used for non-violent offenses at all, we should get away from the archaic penal style system.
    Never thought of abolishing prison for non violent offenders. Hmmmmmm. Interesting have to chew on that for a while.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Simply put... no.

TB it is all about revenge and our thirst for it. Can almost see you salivate at putting that child rapist to death. "Kill that FKER. Shoot him use gas doesn't matter. Grunt grunt!"

TB you know I try to bust your balls so don't take my posts personally. We both love this shit so take it you Revenge Murderer. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Simply put... no.

TB it is all about revenge and our thirst for it. Can almost see you salivate at putting that child rapist to death. "Kill that FKER. Shoot him use gas doesn't matter. Grunt grunt!"

TB you know I try to bust your balls so don't take my posts personally. We both love this shit so take it you Revenge Murderer. :)
    LOL!

Ya softy.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    delete paragraphs before hitting the, 'post comment' button
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Absolutely not. Simply saying sorry doesn't cut it. Killers should be removed from free society. They should pay for the life theyve take by being incarcerated for the term of their natural life. No chance of parole.
    And yes we are killing our own unless of course you think that ALL murderers somehow become less human simply because they kill.

who are we executing murderers for anyway? It can't be for the murdered cause theyre dead and can no longer care. So if we execute for no one but ourselves how can we deem ourselves any better than the executed? Do we think we have right on our side? Afterall an eye for an eye turns the whole world blind.
    The same argument you make against the DP could be made against life in prison. You have said they "should pay for the life they've taken by being incarcerated for the term of their natural life." This sounds like revenge... and the 'primitive desire for revenge' has been one of the rallying cries against state execution.

I do think sadistic murderers- not all murderers- are subhuman. I've said things like this before, but we think nothing of setting mouse traps and killing mice that sneak around our houses at night doing mice things. Their offence of sneaking around for food is hardly that of raping and murdering a child and their life is just as important to them as ours is to us. Further, I just watched another depressing story detailing the cruelty within a chicken processing plant: yet, we seem to be okay with ordering wings from the local pub overlooking the brutality we inflict on our food animals... but we become indignant at the thought of executing a guy like Clifford Olson.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Simply put... no.

It's punishment by death.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    callen said:

Simply put... no.

Cal,you get it.Good stuff
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

What constitutes a non-violent offense and what should be the punishment instead?
    Getting away from the archaic penal style system is great if one can offer a suggestion along with the observation.
    A non-violent offense is one that doesn't entail violence. Duh. Theft in it's many forms and drug offenses mostly.
    A suggestion? That's obvious, instead of putting people away where they only burden society, put them to work to better society.
    Don't see the need for you to condescend by stating "Duh".

Non-violent offenses may be committed out of previous violence that led to the crime in the first place. A successful thief robbing a store non-violently for cash inevitably will lead to a more violent crime as soon as said thief is challenged.

Drug offenses mostly? - All illegal drugs at this time are protected by violence (cartels, gangs, etc) and can be pursued with violence at times by if the "fix" can't be had non-violently.

Putting people to work to better society? can you elaborate a little on that,
    the quality of work from thieves and drug users may be lacking....

• Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

Non-violent offenses may be committed out of previous violence that led to the crime in the first place. A successful thief robbing a store non-violently for cash inevitably will lead to a more violent crime as soon as said thief is challenged.

Drug offenses mostly? - All illegal drugs at this time are protected by violence (cartels, gangs, etc) and can be pursued with violence at times by if the "fix" can't be had non-violently.

I don't see the need for you to always be asking questions to which the answers are self-evident and clearly obvious. You had a point to make, and you made it, the question was unnecessary. Make your rebuttal and be done with it.
    Now to the point you made.

If's and maybes. We don't convict people based on things they might have done if things went differently. That whole baloney about drugs and violence amounts to the same, we don't convict people who haven't done the crime. If drug buyers and sellers are responsible for cartel crime, then gun manufacturers are responsible for gun violence?

There is plenty of skilled and non-skilled work that can be done by thieves and drug users. Use your imagination.
  • Options
    Sanitation, manufacturing, data entry, construction...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

I don't see the need for you to always be asking questions to which the answers are self-evident and clearly obvious. You had a point to make, and you made it, the question was unnecessary. Make your rebuttal and be done with it.

If's and maybes. We don't convict people based on things they might have done if things went differently. That whole baloney about drugs and violence amounts to the same, we don't convict people who haven't done the crime. If drug buyers and sellers are responsible for cartel crime, then gun manufacturers are responsible for gun violence?

There is plenty of skilled and non-skilled work that can be done by thieves and drug users. Use your imagination.
    Some people can tell you the square root of a pickle jar but can't open it.
    There are no self-evident and clearly obvious answers if even one person is asking questions.
    For anyone to be told that their inquiry is irrelevant to them is indicative of a one-way conversation.
    You made your rebuttal and I am not done.
    Now to the points you made.

There is no baloney when it comes to illegal drugs - it is all stemmed in violence.
    We don't convict people who haven't done the crime but drug sentences are harsh to deter any further potential violent crimes being committed.

Drug sellers and buyers are not responsible for cartel/gang crime but without buyers of illegal drugs these thugs don't have an existence.

Making people perform labour as punishment is stupid.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

There are no self-evident and clearly obvious answers if even one person is asking questions.
    For anyone to be told that their inquiry is irrelevant to them is indicative of a one-way conversation.

There is no baloney when it comes to illegal drugs - it is all stemmed in violence.
    We don't convict people who haven't done the crime but drug sentences are harsh to deter any further potential violent crimes being committed.

Drug sellers and buyers are not responsible for cartel/gang crime but without buyers of illegal drugs these thugs don't have an existence.

I agree that that drugs are rooted in violence. You've offered an interesting perspective on the need for heavy drug related sentences as a proactive measure to address the violence throughout the chain from production to distribution.

Legalization would work pretty well addressing this violence and offer a ton of jobs, but this is another debate.

I disagree that making people perform labour as punishment is stupid. I say put them to work, but not unsupervised and still institutionalized depending on the crime and sentence.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

Having substances illegal is stupid.
  • Options
    callen said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

Having substances illegal is stupid.
    Even cocaine and heroin?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,758
    edited April 2015
    rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

I think I agree with this in theory, but what is the alternative for non-violent criminals? My mind immediately goes to well-enforced and adequately severe financial penalties - bad enough to s3 re as a strong deterrent at the very least - but then I think probs arise when considering the fallout that could cause for children, spouses, etc.... Would it be considered as reasonable as just removing the person, and his income, from the home and pitting him in prison? Or would families be impacted even worse?

At the very least, I don't feel like non-violent and violent criminals should be jailed together.... I even think thst maybe a separate court altogether would be best for dealing with violent criminals. That would possibly 'unblur' the lines when it comes to appropriate punishments.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata