The Death Penalty

Comments

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

PJ_Soul said:

why don't they stop with the fucking injections already if they keep fucking them up, and just use a gas of some sort. how about carbon monoxide? painless. you just go to sleep. or a bullet to the brain. if you're going to kill someone, at least fucking do it right. not just for the inmate, but it must be pretty gruesome for the doctors, etc, to witness and/or be involved in that.

Since I'm against the death penalty, I'm much more in favour of just letting them loose in general population and seeing what happens.
    What if 'what happens' is an inmate killed by the murderer?
    good question
  • chadwick said:

pretty good chance vvhen a sick freakshovv is turned loose in general population, he could be tortured & go through a lot of bad, bad stuff. vvhat do you tvvo think about this vs' the state doing it?

The Kingston Penitentiary Riot in 1971 saw inmates take over the prison and deal with the 'undesirables' (I believe this was the term the prisoners used for child murderers, pedophiles and rapists).

A guy named Roger Caron wrote a book called Bingo detailing his eyewitness account of the riot which included portions detailing the mistreatment of those prisoners. He also wrote a book called Go-Boy. Both are exceptional reads if anyone is interested.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited March 2015

PJ_Soul said:

why don't they stop with the fucking injections already if they keep fucking them up, and just use a gas of some sort. how about carbon monoxide? painless. you just go to sleep. or a bullet to the brain. if you're going to kill someone, at least fucking do it right. not just for the inmate, but it must be pretty gruesome for the doctors, etc, to witness and/or be involved in that.

Since I'm against the death penalty, I'm much more in favour of just letting them loose in general population and seeing what happens.
    I'm not against the death penalty because bad guys might die. I don't consider an inmate falling prey to prison politics the death penalty. Do you??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not against the death penalty because bad guys might die. I don't consider an inmate falling prey to prison politics the death penalty. Do you??
    That's not what I meant.

What if throwing the murderer into general population results in, say, a drug dealer getting murdered? You know... the killer kills again.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,520
    chadwick said:

pretty good chance vvhen a sick freakshovv is turned loose in general population, he could be tortured & go through a lot of bad, bad stuff. vvhat do you tvvo think about this vs' the state doing it?

neither is a desired outcome.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

What if throwing the murderer into general population results in, say, a drug dealer getting murdered? You know... the killer kills again.
    Well that sucks, but my concern is with the government murdering it's own citizens by way of a very fallible justice system. I think that prison security is another matter that could be a great debate though. I guess what I meant is that if someone who's guilty happens to get killed in prison, i couldn't care less. The butterfly effect of that opens a lot of doors, true (it's a concept that vexes me daily!).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

So all murderers should be put to death? Rapists also kill in prison, kill them too. Assault perps kill in prison, kill them too? Fk all those fucking cowards kill all prisoners and let's kill all those we think may kill that haven't done so yet. Fuck em.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2015
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

So all murderers should be put to death? Rapists also kill in prison, kill them too. Assault perps kill in prison, kill them too? Fk all those fucking cowards kill all prisoners and let's kill all those we think may kill that haven't done so yet. Fuck em.
    In 50+ pages of this thread, this post ranks right up there with the classics. Is it all you could think of?

I know you seem to think murderers are just poor, misunderstood, helpless victims of circumstances, but others feel differently, Callen.

Did you ever read my submission where (in short)... Canadian serial killer finds bleeding heart people like you to transfer him from max security prison to medium security prison and he kills his new cellmate? He had killed men, women, and children... but the dipshits thought he was wonderful and despite the fact he said he would kill again... they eagerly transfered him?

His cellmate was spending two years for assault and had requested to be moved to a different cell because, obviously, his new cellmate was a psycho. His family is pissed.

Whoopsy daisy.

Fuken idiots (not you... unless, of course, you were one of the professional- yah right- advocates who vouched for the idiot).
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • The link to the above story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/im-a-sociopath-man-says-in-explaining-why-he-killed-cellmate/article4727024/

Interesting bit of the piece:

As he sat in handcuffs and explained to police why he strangled his cellmate, serial killer Michael McGray seemed incredulous that he even had the opportunity, that he had recently been transferred to a medium-security prison.

Yah. No shit.

Fuken idiots.

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

In 50+ pages of this thread, this post ranks right up there with the classics. Is it all you could think of?

I know you seem to think murderers are just poor, misunderstood, helpless victims of circumstances, but others feel differently, Callen.

Did you ever read my submission where (in short)... Canadian serial killer finds bleeding heart people like you to transfer him from max security prison to medium security prison and he kills his new cellmate? He had killed men, women, and children... but the dipshits thought he was wonderful and despite the fact he said he would kill again... they eagerly transfered him?

His cellmate was spending two years for assault and had requested to be moved to a different cell because, obviously, his new cellmate was a psycho. His family is pissed.

Whoopsy daisy.

Fuken idiots (not you... unless, of course, you were one of the professional- yah right- advocates who vouched for the idiot).
    the story you linked to stated ZERO reasons for why he was moved to medium security. all it said was that he "was given a score that barely put him in the medium-security classification". So your supposition of the "bleeding hearts like (Callen)" being at fault is offensive and not even factual. why do you continue to name-call? I thought we were finished with that.

Sociopaths are master manipulators. If he manipulated his way through the system, that is incredibly unfortunate, and the victim's family has every right to claim wrongdoing (which they have and have reached a settlement).

the system is riddled with problems. but killing someone as a pre-emptive way of preventing a murder that no one has any chance at predicting is an absurd solution. if indeed that is what you are suggesting should have been done here.

www.headstonesband.com

• callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

Whoopsy daisy.

the story you linked to stated ZERO reasons for why he was moved to medium security. all it said was that he "was given a score that barely put him in the medium-security classification". So your supposition of the "bleeding hearts like (Callen)" being at fault is offensive and not even factual. why do you continue to name-call? I thought we were finished with that.

Sociopaths are master manipulators. If he manipulated his way through the system, that is incredibly unfortunate, and the victim's family has every right to claim wrongdoing (which they have and have reached a settlement).

the system is riddled with problems. but killing someone as a pre-emptive way of preventing a murder that no one has any chance at predicting is an absurd solution. if indeed that is what you are suggesting should have been done here.

You might want to read Callen's post to determine why mud was being slung- I noticed you never mentioned anything about that piece of hyperbole that prompted my response (although I know why you never did).

Think about it for more than a few seconds. The guy has killed numerous people in serial fashion. Then, for whatever reason, he manages a score that 'barely' places him in the medium-security classification. And... what do we do? We enthusiastically place him in a medium security prison. This 'enthusiasm' started when he was rightfully placed in a super-maximum... to a maximum... and then finally to the medium security prison during his brief stint.

With the way things were going... he should have waited... he might have found himself with some release time and he could have gotten an extra victim or two.

Zero common sense applied here. Absolutely none. And why? Because there are idiots out there at the far end of the spectrum that look at shitbirds like this asshole and think, "If we just talk to him a bit and give him another chance..." McGray himself essentially laughed at these fools.

I'm saying this guy deserved death for his obscenity. Further... if he had received what I think he deserved... one more person would be alive today.

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

Whoopsy daisy.

You might want to read Callen's post to determine why mud was being slung- I noticed you never mentioned anything about that piece of hyperbole that prompted my response (although I know why you never did).

Think about it for more than a few seconds. The guy has killed numerous people in serial fashion. Then, for whatever reason, he manages a score that 'barely' places him in the medium-security classification. And... what do we do? We enthusiastically place him in a medium security prison. This 'enthusiasm' started when he was rightfully placed in a super-maximum... to a maximum... and then finally to the medium security prison during his brief stint.

With the way things were going... he should have waited... he might have found himself with some release time and he could have gotten an extra victim or two.

Zero common sense applied here. Absolutely none. And why? Because there are idiots out there at the far end of the spectrum that look at shitbirds like this asshole and think, "If we just talk to him a bit and give him another chance..." McGray himself essentially laughed at these fools.

I'm saying this guy deserved death for his obscenity. Further... if he had received what I think he deserved... one more person would be alive today.
    Really? You know why I didn't mention his post? You mean his over-the-top use of extremes? You know, kinda like you do? I guess you didn't pick up on his obvious use of irony.

No one "enthusiastically" did anything. You talk as if they threw him a party. That is the tyoe of thing we are referring to.

Seriously, I was looking for more information that you claim to have (the circumstances surrounding his upgrading), but all I get, all we usually get, is more of the same.

www.headstonesband.com

• callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

Whoopsy daisy.

Really? You know why I didn't mention his post? You mean his over-the-top use of extremes? You know, kinda like you do? I guess you didn't pick up on his obvious use of irony.

No one "enthusiastically" did anything. You talk as if they threw him a party. That is the tyoe of thing we are referring to.

Seriously, I was looking for more information that you claim to have (the circumstances surrounding his upgrading), but all I get, all we usually get, is more of the same.

Dig a bit yourself if you are truly interested. I offered a credible link that detailed most of what we needed to know.

You never found an issue with his post because it fits- albeit roughly- your belief system making it more tolerable. You don't see the irony here?

And I'm entitled to write as I see fit. Are you suggesting there was no enthusiasm at all for fast tracking this filth through the system and they reluctantly stamped approvals?

They may as well have been throwing a party for how negligent their decisions have proven to be.
    edited March 2015

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

Whoopsy daisy.

Dig a bit yourself if you are truly interested. I offered a credible link that detailed most of what we needed to know.

You never found an issue with his post because it fits- albeit roughly- your belief system making it more tolerable. You don't see the irony here?

And I'm entitled to write as I see fit. Are you suggesting there was no enthusiasm at all for fast tracking this filth through the system and they reluctantly stamped approvals?

They may as well have been throwing a party for how negligent their decisions have proven to be.
    His post did not fit my belief system at all. Pay attention.

And yes, I am suggesting there was no "enthusiasm". How fucking ridiculous.

I love how when someone has no answers they turn to "research yourself", yet when you feel you have all the answers, you have zero problem jamming your "facts" down everyone's throats. The link had zero information as to why he was downgraded. That information is paramount to your claims of them enthusiastically downgrading him. But you can't or refuse to provide it. The onus to provide sources of their information is on those making the claim. Well done.

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2015
    You're stuck on my tongue in cheek comment about them 'enthusiastically' moving him through the prison system? Okay... if it makes you feel better... I'll rephrase:

In a stunning manner that defies all common sense and betrays incompetence at least on some levels (if not all), prison officials saw fit to perpetually push him to lower security prisons.

The following link expresses the same and cites McGary's own words to officials that seem to suggest he wasn't fit for anything other than super-maximum security where he was initially sentenced: "Just because I'm in segregation doesn't mean I can't kill somebody."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/29/prison-couldnt-keep-michael-wayne-mcgray-from-killing-just-like-he-said-it-wouldnt/

Now get off the 'why was he downgraded' questions to me. How the fuck can I answer those? The idiots that paid millions of dollars for their grievous errors haven't exactly made those details accessible. Can you blame them? How embarrassing. But not having the paperwork at my disposal doesn't change the fact that this situation was a calamity fraught with errors. Are you disputing this?

And get on with responding to a more challenging point I made.

I said that if this asshole got what I think he deserved as a serial murderer- keep in mind an 11 year old girl was one of his victims- there would be one less victim in his tally. Hence, in this case where there isn't a shred of doubt outside of his public boasts of even more decomposing bodies from Seattle to the maritimes... the DP would have not only served justice, but also acted as a deterrent. Can you dispute this?

* Quote feature required me to edit.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    nice job, thirty bills.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick said:

nice job, thirty bills.

Cheers, Chad!
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited March 2015

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's not what I meant.

Whoopsy daisy.

Did you even attempt to understand my point ?

I'm very much for locking up killers. For loooong time. No one has the right to end another's life. NO ONE including you.

BUT.......

to give government means to permanently silence?!?!?!? Forget about morals, botched executions, falsely convicted, just this should make everyone shudder.

but alas getting that vengeance satisfaction makes it okay. We crave that selfish high. That endorphin drip to say "we got that evil fucker back. ". Yeah!!!

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Any rational person would be deterred from committing capital crimes if a state sanctioned murder was the punishment approved by the revenge of citizens.

Any irrational person commits capital crimes.

Any rational person would be deterred from committing capital crimes if a state sanctioned murder was the punishment approved by the revenge of citizens.

You are not making sense.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015

Any rational person would be deterred from committing capital crimes if a state sanctioned murder was the punishment approved by the revenge of citizens.

You are not making sense.
    Only if one is drunk or easily confused. :smile:
  • The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.

Simply put... no.

It's a 'punishment' that should be used as a response for the most grievous 'crimes' of murder we are forced to deal with (such as the bastard who raped and killed an 11 month infant discussed a page ago).

Any action taken at all can be considered 'revenge' so again... no. If you are going to call the DP revenge, then you would need to do the same as life in prison. Your preference doesn't establish anything.

And I can agree that it does do very little to deter people from committing crimes, but as has been established already... with its limited application (something like 0.004 percent of all murders receive the DP within DP states)... it has hardly had the chance to definitively prove one way or another its effectiveness as a deterrent.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.

Simply put... no.

It's a 'punishment' that should be used as a response for the most grievous 'crimes' of murder we are forced to deal with (such as the bastard who raped and killed an 11 month infant discussed a page ago).

Any action taken at all can be considered 'revenge' so again... no. If you are going to call the DP revenge, then you would need to do the same as life in prison. Your preference doesn't establish anything.

And I can agree that it does do very little to deter people from committing crimes, but as has been established already... with its limited application (something like 0.004 percent of all murders receive the DP within DP states)... it has hardly had the chance to definitively prove one way or another its effectiveness as a deterrent.
    I don't agree with this. Imprisonment can, and should, be about sequestration from society. I don't think prison should be used for non-violent offenses at all, we should get away from the archaic penal style system.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited April 2015

Simply put... no.

So you're saying (state sanctioned) murder is a punishment for murder?

As for imprisonment being revenge..... no it isnt. Its the removal from society of someonecwho has transgressed at the most heinous level. They took the life of someone, so life as they know it should be taken from them. One doesnt need to be killed for their life to be taken from them.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and simply revenge. It does nothing to deter people from committing capital crimes.

Simply put... no.

I don't call it murder. You do.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    rgambs said:

Simply put... no.

I don't agree with this. Imprisonment can, and should, be about sequestration from society. I don't think prison should be used for non-violent offenses at all, we should get away from the archaic penal style system.
    What constitutes a non-violent offense and what should be the punishment instead?
    Getting away from the archaic penal style system is great if one can offer a suggestion along with the observation.

Simply put... no.

purposely ending a life is murder by definition.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Simply put... no.

a group of crows is defined as such as well
    edited April 2015

Simply put... no.

exactly. Murder is legal term connoting intent and aforethought.. if execution isnt intentional I dont know what is.

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say