Pearl Jam - Ole

Comments

• pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    and if it's from the new album I'm sure we'll get a mix of all 3 styles like we always do. Chill out everyone, has PJ ever let you down?

Since Backspacer came out I've heard it called "Backscratcher", "BS", "Bullshitter", and several other less than flattering things. In the thread devoted to posting "Fail" pictures, somebody simply put up the Backspacer cover. So a lot of people were let down by that album as a whole. I don't find it all that bad, I like it more than Riot Act myself.

To each his own and everyone has their favorites. I have a really hard time believing a true PJ fan "hates" any of their albums or can't at least find something to enjoy on all of them. We go through this every time the band puts out new material. Hell, the last 15 of the 20 years the band has existed we hear people lamenting the change of their sound. It was old in 1999. Now it's just kind of pathetic.

Hear hear. Post of the day!
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    The song is fun, they seem to enjoy performing it, that's all that matters, the fact they are still having fun 20 years in...

and I think the song rocks.

And Matt owns that beat... how can you be a fan of music and not see that? :roll:
  • boyo79 wrote:
    I don't get this whole new wave pop punk road Pearl Jam are taking. Its not them. Why try to be something your not?
    I have a problem with this sentiment and see it around here a lot. We may not like or have to like everything they do but we're not in the band. Maybe it is them. Maybe this is what they are now. I can easily see Ole right next to Of the Earth on an album or for that matter Spin the Black Circle or Glorified G. Is it the second coming of Christ-awesome? No, but it is good and I'm glad I like it!

Spot on ;)
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    I love it!! :D

I think the same thing everytime.. they are challenging themselves, and us, with new sounds and flavours. This can ONLY be a good thing.

I've pretty much thought this since No code and its probably why I am here now.

Ole!
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    The song is fun, they seem to enjoy performing it, that's all that matters, the fact they are still having fun 20 years in...

Good point. I think we sometimes forget that 1st and foremost they are making music for themselves, for their enjoyment.

Well you would hope that's why they are still in it.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • just look at it as a song...

not from the next album..

not from an era..

not sounding like the last record..

its new
    it kicks arse.
    its in your face
    its pearl jam
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    SolarWorld wrote:

Good point. I think we sometimes forget that 1st and foremost they are making music for themselves, for their enjoyment.

Well you would hope that's why they are still in it.

I trust their motives, It would suck if they looked tired and old trying to create new music. They dont seem to be having that problem or anything close to it. Which ultimately is very good for us die hard fans. More albums = more tours! :D

Did I mention Matt kills this track? I bet he wrote it...
  • just look at it as a song...

not from an era..

As just a song I still am not a fan of it.

But I'm looking forward to a new album.
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    meh. :roll:
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • It's a weak song. But still sort of cool. But more weak than cool.

Hate it when Eddie reads the lyrics though (on fallon)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    and if it's from the new album I'm sure we'll get a mix of all 3 styles like we always do. Chill out everyone, has PJ ever let you down?

Since Backspacer came out I've heard it called "Backscratcher", "BS", "Bullshitter", and several other less than flattering things. In the thread devoted to posting "Fail" pictures, somebody simply put up the Backspacer cover. So a lot of people were let down by that album as a whole. I don't find it all that bad, I like it more than Riot Act myself.

:lol: That was Threefish10!! Fuck I laughed!! :lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    Gotta say I like it too.

Its not the best thing they ever did, but its still a tune that is likely to grow on me like got some did

I understand Boyo's point, this is far removed from Ten, but their sound never stays still long, and the reason why their shows are so damn special is they visit a lot of different types of song throughout a set these days.....These little punky numbers are sharp on the stage too.....

Was lucky to see supersonic before it was released and thought it was fucking awesome.

All in all a very pleasant surprise today...

and kudos to them for not going on the show and playing Alive....after all thats what I expected since they were promoting their 20 year products.
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I loved and still love Backspacer...still its been said before and it'll be said again people like different things.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Ha ha, guilty. I really can't stand that album. Haven't listened to a song on it since I last saw pearl jam in 09

Edit: ironically my avatar is the space drummer from that album. Th artwork is the only thing I liked from that album.
  • Free PJ? Sure! I'll accept a free new song from the band no matter what the song is. Thanks folks, and lets make this a daily occurrence! We'll help you clean out the archives!
    "It makes much more sense to live in the present tense."

Toronto 2000
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    St. John's (2x) 2005
    Boston 2010
    Hartford 2013
    Quebec City 2016
  • geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    It's a Pearl Jam song allright. I hear Johnny Guitar, Ghost, Don't Gimme No Lip, Whipping in it just fine. Fast, groovy, a bit off, what's not to love. It will fit just nicely between 'big' songs on the album.
    Like the name, and liked tv performance, didn't overthink it, just enjoyed.
  • I think this is here is the Same discussion As it was on "got some" the first tune from backspacer two Years ago - now this song is a Standard at every concert
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    just look at it as a song...

not from an era..

its new
    it kicks arse.
    its in your face
    its pearl jam

:thumbup:
    I like it!! Definetely a cool song!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Its ok, a nice little change-up. Now lets carry on....
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dethroned god's dice as worst pj song ever.

recipe much?
  • I just have to add, whether you like the new song or not (when do we ever like a new PJ song on the 1st listen? it takes time to digest the lyrics, the cords, and so on, right?) - speaking of balls:

Thank you PJ for having the balls to go on TV and give us a new song. Thank you further for giving it to us, the faithful fans for download for free. You didn't have to try a new song. You could have done a radio hit that the Fallon audience would have tapped their foot to the next day. You could have took the easy way out but being tried and true- you gave us something new. For that and more- very cool and i am grateful. Now give us a free download of "balls in your mouth" :D
    NoCode_1 wrote:
    dethroned god's dice as worst pj song ever.

recipe much?

thats absolute bollocks
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Whitty wrote:
    Free PJ? Sure! I'll accept a free new song from the band no matter what the song is. Thanks folks, and lets make this a daily occurrence! We'll help you clean out the archives!
    I like your way of thinking! :mrgreen:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • NoCode_1 wrote:
    dethroned god's dice as worst pj song ever.

recipe much?

Do you even like Pearl Jam?? :?
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    gecko wrote:
    It's a Pearl Jam song allright. I hear Johnny Guitar, Ghost, Don't Gimme No Lip, Whipping in it just fine. Fast, groovy, a bit off, what's not to love. It will fit just nicely between 'big' songs on the album.
    Like the name, and liked tv performance, didn't overthink it, just enjoyed.

yeah def. They should have played/debuted this at PJ20 though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Like or dislike the song.... to me it's more about the fact that my fav band could have easily showed up on Fallon and played an oldie but goodie in celebration of PJ20... but instead decided to debute a new jam. Gotta love em.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    Good tune...hear a Whipping-style riff in there. I'm still holding out hope that a new album leans more toward what they did with Of the Earth. It would be great to see them stretch out into that almost-proggy territory like with Inside Job.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I actually liked the song more after hearing the live performance, but still am warming up to it. Definitely not my favorite thing PJ has ever released.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Need to decipher the lyrics but from what I heard on the first pass I do not like them. The music kicks ass however. Love Mike's wail at the end there. I didn't like Got Some on first listen but absolutely loved it after hearing the studio version.

Pearl Jam has this weird ability to release something like that this and it doesn't sound like them at all, but then it does if that makes any sense.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,723
    Just woke up, walked the dogs, watched PJ on Fallon, liked what i heard, downloaded the song on-line, have listened to it six times already, and I LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to hear it in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.