Options

Pearl Jam - Ole

Comments

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,703
    Yes it does sound like something that might have been on Backspacer .. but I like Backspacer so that's ok.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265
    All you folks waiting for betterman Pt. 2, step aside!! buy a fucking ramones album and you will get it..

I have every Ramones album.

Ole is still garbage.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    All you folks waiting for betterman Pt. 2, step aside!! buy a fucking ramones album and you will get it..

I have every Ramones album.

Ole is still garbage.
    I guess we wont be seeing you at the next Arizona show.. oh wait... :mrgreen:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I guess any new PJ is better than none, can't say I'm too crazy about it. Reminds me a little of the Fixer in the way I don't think it's a great song but it's got that great, would you call it a 'bridge,' about 1:30 in. I really, really want an epic PJ song, I'm tired of this 2-1/2 min. punk stuff. I couldn't understand a thing he said either on the telecast, but I couldn't understand Grohl on Conan tonight either so maybe it's just tv. How about turning up Mike's solo too, fuck I hate tv performances.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Newch91 wrote:

haven't posted in many months and was unable to attend PJ20 but this night and staying up this late has triggered my passion for this band all over again

First Impressions:

- Song is very ramones-esque...i loved it. I hope the new album is similar. This was my first listen cuz I haven't been on the boards since March or idk so i never saw the old threads. Where can we buy this now??

- Stone w/o glasses and wearing a zip up jacket = very different

- Many mics and great sound coming from the drumset; also love the new graphics on Matt's basedrum

- Mike had a great solo but the sound didnt seem to be as loud/clear as Matt's

All in all...I was smiling ear-to-ear during both Cam Crowe bits. Almost Famous is one of my all-time fav movies and it's great to see Jimmy express such deep appreciation and admiration for Crowe giving him a shot, etc. Jimmy is really a class act. His show is amazing...he really is a storyteller in himself but thats a whole other blog post.

Loved the cobain/eddie holy grail footage and the book and soundtrack vinyl...i cant wait to get my hands on that

I haven't been checking the PJ20 revealing days etc b/c i really want to be surprised by everything. I can't wait

So jealous of the Asian guy in the red t-shirt (I never met him or know his name but I've seen him at probably half of my shows) He's at everything!!! So cool. Def jealous of the crowd getting a copy of the book b4 anyone else (especially the fans of Tom Selleck who dont care about PJ lol)

Going to buy my ticket for PJ20 screening in NYC at IFC Center right now...hoping its not sold out already.

Love you all,
    Yellow Bedwetter
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    I guess we wont be seeing you at the next Arizona show.. oh wait... :mrgreen:

Hahaha!
    I got my fix at PJ20...knowing full well they won't be coming anywhere near here anytime soon! :D

I like classic punk. I just HATE modern/newage punk. I also hate most of PJ's "punk" songs. Just sayin'
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    I personally really like this song! I think the basslines really groove and the guitar riff pumps me up! It does sound similar to that Oasis song, but I don't think that was intentional! Do you know how many power chord riffs in the rock scene are similar? I like this song a lot! As far as albums go; I would be ok with this on the next album! I liked Avacado and I liked Backspacer. There isn't a bad PJ album in my opinion; however; that being said, I do feel that Avacado and Backspacer are my least favorite albums of PJs whole catalog even though I love them. Again, not that they aren't great, just different from everything from Ten to Riot Act. The band has evolved!

"It's Evolution Baby"
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    mca47 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    Its great that its a free download. But its not a great song. Its not even a good song.

Probably on a par with Supersonic which is the worst thing Pearl Jam have ever recorded. In my opinion.

I don't get this whole new wave pop punk road Pearl Jam are taking. Its not them. Why try to be something your not?

Maybe its just a Backspacer out-take. Certainly sounds it. I hope the new album doesn't continue in this direction

Supersonic is much better than Ole. I totally agree with you about this punk kick they've been on of late. Modern/new wave punk is awful...just awful!

"Power chords are the f'n shit!!!" :D

Your probably right. Supersonic is better than Ole. Which doesn't say much about Ole :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll put it another way - any song that doesn't have a Mike McCready solo in it is just wrong. That's why Backspacer is shit!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    edited September 2011
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    "Meh" to terrible in 15 minutes. :lol:

that's exactly what the girl i lost my virginity to said.
    :lol:

15 minutes? :o I hope my wife isn't reading the boards

Kind of sounds like The Meaning of Soul but clearly Matt is not using a 'box of fucking Cheerios' on his snare drum.
    Post edited by DH62179 on
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

haven't posted in many months and was unable to attend PJ20 but this night and staying up this late has triggered my passion for this band all over again

- Song is very ramones-esque...i loved it. I hope the new album is similar. This was my first listen cuz I haven't been on the boards since March or idk so i never saw the old threads. Where can we buy this now??

You don't have to buy it, follow that link you quoted and you can download it for free
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

Thanks. i wouldn't go to a BDO. not even for pearl jam.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    I don't get this whole new wave pop punk road Pearl Jam are taking. Its not them. Why try to be something your not?
    I have a problem with this sentiment and see it around here a lot. We may not like or have to like everything they do but we're not in the band. Maybe it is them. Maybe this is what they are now. I can easily see Ole right next to Of the Earth on an album or for that matter Spin the Black Circle or Glorified G. Is it the second coming of Christ-awesome? No, but it is good and I'm glad I like it!
  • Options

I don't think anyone is waiting for a Betterman Pt 2

Ramones are ace. Ole is not. Its like The Fixer's ugly sister

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Tom Selleck's interview was better than Ole. What a shit song.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    That song definitely sounds like it could have been a B-side to The Fixer or something (oh the good ol' days when there were actual B-sides to singles and not just a second album track...).

Still, any new PJ is good news to me! :)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    I have a problem with this sentiment and see it around here a lot. We may not like or have to like everything they do but we're not in the band. Maybe it is them. Maybe this is what they are now. I can easily see Ole right next to Of the Earth on an album or for that matter Spin the Black Circle or Glorified G. Is it the second coming of Christ-awesome? No, but it is good and I'm glad I like it!

They have punk influences, but the punk sound just sounds bad to me coming from PJ.

Then again, I'd take a well written acoustic PJ song over anything else...so, to each his own.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I'm liking the song a lot! I actually thought more people here would hate it, but seems quite a few are digging it. Maybe Pearl Jam are gonna be playing more punk and less rock from now on. I find it refreshing - which is a word I also used when the Fixer came out (and I still like that song). Pleased to see that quite a few of the Backspacer haters are liking it too. Me, I love Backspacer, but I don't think this sounds like a Backspacer song at all (other than the backing vocals). I'm very happy with the band's output over the past couple of years!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    foursymbolsfoursymbols Dublin Posts: 527
    Just heard this song on Fallon now & I f*ckin' love it!! Garage punk rock sound, reminds me of early Mudhoney, Supersuckers... Big difference between saying its a rubbish song or just that you don't like it cos it ain't a rubbish song... :?
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • Options
    So I just saw Ole on Fallon.

Went from "Meh" to terrible to "giant, steaming heap of crap". Ha! :lol:

I love PJ, but man....that song sucks a fat one!
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    I've listened to it 3 times in a row and now can't get it out of my head. That's a good sign I guess. :)

BTW I understand those who say they don't like the new more punkish direction, and I also hope that the next album won't be a second Backspacer (which I loved however), but I like this one for what it is and as I said earlier, to me it sounds a lot more like a B-side or out-take from Backspacer (preview to that rumored lingering EP maybe?) than like something that will be on the next album.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    I can only speak for myself - but I practically lost interest in Pearl Jam during the Avocado era - I just thought that stuff was pedestrian rock. I have come to like the live versions of that material a lot more since the 09/10 tours. My interest in the band was really rekindled by Backspacer and the 09/10 tours - I guess it comes down to a matter of taste. Not everyone is going to like every era of the band. I like this song though!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    I can only speak for myself - but I practically lost interest in Pearl Jam during the Avocado era - I just thought that stuff was pedestrian rock. I have come to like the live versions of that material a lot more since the 09/10 tours. My interest in the band was really rekindled by Backspacer and the 09/10 tours - I guess it comes down to a matter of taste. Not everyone is going to like every era of the band. I like this song though!

Spot on mate. See I love Avocado but don't like Backspacer. I've warmed to it recently but it'll always be my least favourite album by the band. Unless the next record is a bunch of Ole's :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ole is definitely not for me and if this is the new sound for them - again its not for me. But Pearl Jam is about the live experience for me over an album. So even if I don't like this song it's not gonna stop me loving Pearl Jam and catching them in Europe next year!!!!!

• Options
    Just downloaded it. The recording is much better than the TV version which is always the case. It's not the greatest thing they've ever recorded but I like it. Sounds a little like "Save You" at times. Those funky tempo fits and starts are obviously Matt Cameron's influence. There are basically 3 categories of Pearl Jam songs: mid-tempo anthems, slow-tempo acoustic dirges, and fast punky songs. This is obviously in the latter category and if it's from the new album I'm sure we'll get a mix of all 3 styles like we always do. Chill out everyone, has PJ ever let you down?
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    and if it's from the new album I'm sure we'll get a mix of all 3 styles like we always do. Chill out everyone, has PJ ever let you down?

Since Backspacer came out I've heard it called "Backscratcher", "BS", "Bullshitter", and several other less than flattering things. In the thread devoted to posting "Fail" pictures, somebody simply put up the Backspacer cover. So a lot of people were let down by that album as a whole. I don't find it all that bad, I like it more than Riot Act myself.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Spot on mate. See I love Avocado but don't like Backspacer. I've warmed to it recently but it'll always be my least favourite album by the band. Unless the next record is a bunch of Ole's :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ole is definitely not for me and if this is the new sound for them - again its not for me. But Pearl Jam is about the live experience for me over an album. So even if I don't like this song it's not gonna stop me loving Pearl Jam and catching them in Europe next year!!!!!

Yeah I think what's great about Pearl Jam live - and probably why they have kept a lot of fans, is they do justice to all their earlier material - they don't 'reinterpret it' and fuck around with it. So I wasn't wild about Binaural either - but I loved the tour. You're right - people might feel let down by whatever the current output is - but surely they're never going to be let down by the live shows.

• Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    edited September 2011
    and if it's from the new album I'm sure we'll get a mix of all 3 styles like we always do. Chill out everyone, has PJ ever let you down?

Since Backspacer came out I've heard it called "Backscratcher", "BS", "Bullshitter", and several other less than flattering things. In the thread devoted to posting "Fail" pictures, somebody simply put up the Backspacer cover. So a lot of people were let down by that album as a whole. I don't find it all that bad, I like it more than Riot Act myself.

To each his own and everyone has their favorites. I have a really hard time believing a true PJ fan "hates" any of their albums or can't at least find something to enjoy on all of them. We go through this every time the band puts out new material. Hell, the last 15 of the 20 years the band has existed we hear people lamenting the change of their sound. It was old in 1999. Now it's just kind of pathetic.
    Post edited by darthvedder81 on
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options

To each his own and everyone has their favorites. I have a really hard time believing a true PJ fan "hates" any of their albums or can't at least find something to enjoy on all of them.

You've obviously not read the Riot Act thread :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A thread which should be banned I might add.

• Options
    We go through this every time the band puts out new material. Hell, the last 15 of the 20 years the band has existed we hear people lamenting the change of their sound.

:lol:

too true

• Options
    Just listening again now, and agree that this has the feel of a b-side