Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Glen's doing a show at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC on 6/28 if anyone is interested. Very small venue. Should be cool :)
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    7187949893_091904a7b2_z.jpg
    Glen Signed! by ricoborrego, on Flickr

Look at what just came in the mail!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    thefixer9 wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow before I'm gone again until March (and hopefully one of the signed ones as well) :D
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    Just got tix for his show in NYC on June 28th at Le Poisson Rouge. I am so happy I didnt get tix to the Beacon Theatre since this place is much smaller!

Tix link: https://secure.gigmaven.com/events/8331/orders/new
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Suziemay wrote:
    Glen's doing a show at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC on 6/28 if anyone is interested. Very small venue. Should be cool :)

Got mine. :D
    His show at Bookstore Cafe the other night was so great.
    Very much looking forward to another small venue show.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Just got tix for his show in NYC on June 28th at Le Poisson Rouge. I am so happy I didnt get tix to the Beacon Theatre since this place is much smaller!

:clap::clap::clap:

I was bummed about the Beacon being on the 29th since I leave for Prague that day.
    Was thrilled when he added the Housing Works show.
    And this show at Le Poisson Rouge is just the cherry on the sundae!
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    thefixer9 wrote:

Rawk 8-):mrgreen: ! I got the lith as well but it wasn't signed. Congrats on scoring the autograph!
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

I couldn't make it that night so I'm so happy this date was added. Now I need to hear the new album!!!! I didn't preorder so I will have to wait until Tuesday... unless a gracious person on this board helps me out :D:lol:.
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

I couldn't make it that night so I'm so happy this date was added. Now I need to hear the new album!!!! I didn't preorder so I will have to wait until Tuesday... unless a gracious person on this board helps me out :D:lol:.
    I'm not a huge Glen Hansard fan (don't dislike, just don't have the capacity to take on another artist :lol::lol: ) but LPR is a great venue! I love that he is playing there. It's not the first time too, I think he was there sometime last year. I wasn't going to go because I'm sure I won't be packed for the Europe trip by then, but got tickets anyway so now I have to :)

I love shows at the Housing Works Bookstore cafe too, I was bummed that I didn't know about that show.
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    I wasn't going to go because I'm sure I won't be packed for the Europe trip by then, but got tickets anyway so now I have to :)

:clap::clap::clap:

What day are you leaving for Prague?
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Bird of Sorrow. WOW. Can't stop listening to this track!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    If anyone needs two tickets to see Glen in L.A. at the Wiltern, I have two that I won't be able to use. :( PM me if interested. I'd like to see someone else enjoy the show. He's fantastic live. :)
  • Options
    who_me13who_me13 Posts: 53
    Finally got it today, with the signed poster!

Seems like "Talking with the Wolves" may be about his tech Simon who he talked about at PJ20 who married someone from PJ's crew?
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    samjam wrote:
    Bird of Sorrow. WOW. Can't stop listening to this track!

Seriously. Me too.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    I have such a love/hate relationship with Glen's music:

I discovered the Frames in 2002, and after seeing them play live, I became a huge fan. Their sets were very celebratory and full of positive energy.

In 2007, Six months in to my relationship with my now wife, I was going thru some emotional issues, and I needed a week away from her. After that week, the first time we saw each other again was at a screening of "Once", where the Swell Season actually performed afterwards. Compared to the upbeat sounds of The Frames, the SS sound was a bit somber to me. I found it difficult to fully enjoy the SS because I'd become accustomed to The Frames.

A few years later, we had tickets for the Swell Season at the Greek Theater in L.A., but my dad ended up going to the ER that night, so we missed the show.

Last summer, when my dad was under hospice care, I saw Glen open for EV a few times....the songs he played were very somber, so they served as a reminder of my life at the time.

At PJ20, he played a much "lighter" set of songs, so I felt very happy seeing him perform, especially since it was in a festive atmosphere under bright blue skies (on Sunday, at least!) I was able to talk to him after his set, and he was very receptive when I conveyed to him what I am describing here....he mentioned how the sets he played while opening for EV were very dark.

Sadly, my dad passed away shortly after PJ20. Glen's music will always serve as a reminder of my dad's last few years on this earth.

I had mixed feelings when they announced his L.A. show which is next week at the Wiltern.

It may be a joyful show for me, but it also may be very sad. In any case, it will serve as an emotional release, especially since it is so close to father's day.

I was happy to discover that he is playing with a band this time around, as opposed to just him and his beat-up acoustic guitar!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I discovered the Frames in 2002, and after seeing them play live, I became a huge fan. Their sets were very celebratory and full of positive energy.

In 2007, Six months in to my relationship with my now wife, I was going thru some emotional issues, and I needed a week away from her. After that week, the first time we saw each other again was at a screening of "Once", where the Swell Season actually performed afterwards. Compared to the upbeat sounds of The Frames, the SS sound was a bit somber to me. I found it difficult to fully enjoy the SS because I'd become accustomed to The Frames.

A few years later, we had tickets for the Swell Season at the Greek Theater in L.A., but my dad ended up going to the ER that night, so we missed the show.

Last summer, when my dad was under hospice care, I saw Glen open for EV a few times....the songs he played were very somber, so they served as a reminder of my life at the time.

At PJ20, he played a much "lighter" set of songs, so I felt very happy seeing him perform, especially since it was in a festive atmosphere under bright blue skies (on Sunday, at least!) I was able to talk to him after his set, and he was very receptive when I conveyed to him what I am describing here....he mentioned how the sets he played while opening for EV were very dark.

Sadly, my dad passed away shortly after PJ20. Glen's music will always serve as a reminder of my dad's last few years on this earth.

I had mixed feelings when they announced his L.A. show which is next week at the Wiltern.

It may be a joyful show for me, but it also may be very sad. In any case, it will serve as an emotional release, especially since it is so close to father's day.

I was happy to discover that he is playing with a band this time around, as opposed to just him and his beat-up acoustic guitar!

I'm sorry about your father. Hopefully it a somber event for you, more of a moment where you can find peace. I'm really interesting in hearing him with the band, only seen him by himself with Eddie. Can't wait until October! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    I am in love with Rhythm And Repose. Glen's voice sounds just pure golden. The music really varies from acoustic, to more of a full band and even some really nice piano moments in it. The lyrics really dig deep, not to mention the music fits the lyrics perfectly. Favorite songs at the moment:

Song of Good Hope (Probably my favorite Glen song, period. One of my favorites of all time)
    Love Don't Keep Me Waiting (Just a feel good, happy song with a great band sound backing him up)
    Maybe Not Tonight (Another feel good song with beautiful music behind it.
    Philander (This song is intense....it feels like he is just going to scream his lungs out any moment.)

Can't wait to hear these songs live in October!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I'm sorry about your father. Hopefully it a somber event for you, more of a moment where you can find peace. I'm really interesting in hearing him with the band, only seen him by himself with Eddie. Can't wait until October! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words.....you are wise beyond your years!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.....you are wise beyond your years!

Thank you!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Sorry about your Dad, Joe...I can relate. I hope that your upcoming Glen show is a great experience for you.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Sorry about your Dad, Joe...I can relate. I hope that your upcoming Glen show is a great experience for you.

Matt

Thanks!

I will be happy once they stop running ads for fathers day! :?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Matt

Thanks!

I will be happy once they stop running ads for fathers day! :?

I hear ya. It's one of the toughest days of the year for me. I only hope that it gets a little easier once we start a family.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PjWingsfanPjWingsfan Posts: 136
    Listened to Rhythm and Repose today for the first time and I was really impressed (not that I should be after all the amazing things Glen has been apart of). Really solid album, but the song that really just stopped me in my tracks was "Bird of Sorrow". Such a beautiful, sad, and hopeful song! As if I wasn't excited enough to see Glen in Cincinnati on my birthday in September, this album brought my excitement to another level! haha
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 391
    My cd hasn't arrived yet, can anyone tell me who the female voice is on some of the tracks?
  • Options
    Listening to the album now- streaming from NPR Music. Halfway through and it's what I expected, in a good way
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Bird of Sorrow from SXSW. So good, I got a little teary eyed listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrA9fgOspM
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Bird of Sorrow from SXSW. So good, I got a little teary eyed listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrA9fgOspM

Preach, Glen. Preach.

This could not have come at a better time for me. Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    juliefer wrote:
    My cd hasn't arrived yet, can anyone tell me who the female voice is on some of the tracks?

1. You Will Become; Marketa Irglova, Cristin Milioti, Aida Shahghasemi
    4. High Hope; Sam Amidon, Cristin Milioti
    8. What Are We Gonna Do; Marketa Irglova
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Glen has a Tiny Desk concert on the NPR (npr.org) website for your viewing/listening pleasure.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Glen is on Jay Leno tonight and shortly afterwards Amoeba in LA are doing a live webcast of his gig in their store..if you're still up that is :)

Watch Glen Hansard perform LIVE at Amoeba Music, tonight at 6:30pm PST. http://bit.ly/MBlHQl