• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    The Glen/Moji defenders are bringing it! :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

Best Folk Grammy Nomination for Glen Hansard's Didn't he Ramble :clap:

Awesome
    +1 Go Glen!!!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'm owed anything. Where'd you get that from? I'm making a suggestion. When I saw her on Conan and heard she was at another show as well, yes, I felt like something weird was going on. I really don't think that's an unreasonable reaction.
    I know, he pulled a stranger out that night as well (which definitely contributed to everyone thinking Moji was a stranger as well). No, I wouldn't expect him to introduce a stranger. Just a friend!
    You're now making a lot of assumptions about me.
    I didn't miss any magic in the moment. I experienced that on the night of the show.

PJ Soul one thing you should really stop doing right now is trying to speak for the ENTIRE AUDIENCE. When you say "everyone thinking Moji was a stranger", that is highly problematic. Unless you polled every single audience member on their impressions of the event, which obviously you did not, you cannot and should not think you can speak for an entire audience.

Eldarion75 has already addressed the fact that your sense that something was trying to be faked and that a false impression was trying to be foisted on the audience is false. Whatever your interpretation, for those of us who've seen many shows and for Eldarion75 who knows the behind-the-scenes happenings, it simply isn't an effort to fool anyone and Glen himself would probably be quite surprised it was taken that way.

But more than anything I just find it interesting that you don't understand that you took 2 bits of information (that Moji appeared at another show and that she knows Glen) and jumped to a whole bunch of conclusions about it. It's interesting that you won't own it, because at the end of the day, no matter what your impression was, it was an unfair jump to conclusions (you even thought it meant Moji was at every single show and planted in the audience and you called it a lie).

I've been around long enough to know that actually it isn't worth actually getting upset about, so no, I'm not upset. But that doesn't mean I won't address what I see as unfair and unjustified criticism, and your original allegation that it was a big lie was just that: unfair.

Other than that, hey, feel duped or that Glen should introduce Moji all you like. You are always entitled to your opinion, as we all are. Just wanted to make sure you had context that she's not part of the show, and by her own words Glen doesn't even always know when she's going to be there and even when she is sometimes, he does not call her up.

Good for her, Moji sounds like a lovely, grounded, humble person. I wish her well in her musical and other pursuits.
    Moji's message certainly answered some questions in a nice way, and did clarify things for me. It was the tone of those posts to me that kept me from saying it right away outright (though my suggestion that Glen give Moji an introduction I thought would suggest I accepted the info... and I still think that. Moji blew everyone's minds, judging from the crowd's reaction... sure would be nice for them and Moji if they'd known who she was).
    No, I didn't talk to te whole audience. But i talked to a sampling of the crowd after, and the impression was that it was a random fan, just like the girl before her.
    I was taken aback by what I thought things appeared to be and reacted. Certainly not with the intent to trash an artist who I love - just to voice an opinion about one thing that happened at a show!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJ_Soul said:

You're accusing them both of contriving a moment that actually happens randomly and naturally. Didn't see her on Conan with Glen, she was on letterman with him though?
    Glen also gave Damien rice his first access to a larger audience, as well as josh Ritter among others.
    Can we call their success back in cos you feel it's contrived and you're being mislead?

I'm not accusing them anymore. You very rudely staightened that out (the message from Moji was nice though). FYI, I haven't graciously acknowledged that because you have been so very ungracious. Now I am simply saying that that was the impression at the show, and it was a let down when I thought he was planting someone (which, given the circumstances and what I knew, was actually a perfectly fair assumption).
    FWIW, perhaps a better way of handling it, rather than belittling me post after post after post, would have been to calmly explain the whole story without hurling personal insults, and then I could have just said, "oh, okay, good to know that wasn't a set up."
    I know you're talking to Eldarion, but when you yourself start out making blanket statements about lies every night and everyone being faked out, it's predictable that some people will have extra amounts of enthusiasm in their reality check about the assumptions made. No one should be ungracious, but perhaps because you started yourself from an ungracious place, that set the tone for the responses you received?

This will be my last post on this, but since you're offering your thoughts on better ways to handle this, I'd offer the same to you: if you accuse people of lying and faking out a whole audience for a whole tour, don't be surprised if you get what you consider to be an ungracious reply.

I'm out on these points, but still happy to talk about and celebrate that Grammy nod!
  • Options
    I showed no disrespect to anyone in this thread. Talking about an artist is not at all the same thing as addressing someone directly here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    It was explained to you repeatedly that you were incorrect and your assumption was factually incorrect. You continued to prop them up as fact. You weren't insulted personally at any point. I'm off base for getting ticked off cos you were a cussing two friends of mine of dishonesty when I know that not to be the case. Sorry about that. Your points were addressed in that light and as I viewed them as nonsense and false accusations. Don't confuse the two but sorry if that wasn't clear enough. Only reading somewhere yesterday Glen saying the gig is a living entity and they try live in the moment and let it dictate the flow and what happens. That's how I've always seen it too.
    Still confused about how you think moji should have behaved or have said after the fact? She has a FB page she'd probably appreciate our support of her talents rather than portaying her as dishonest about her own personal life and who she disclosed that she does or doesn't know.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I showed no disrespect to anyone in this thread. Talking about an artist is not at all the same thing as addressing someone directly here.

We posted at the same time a few posts back... The word "ungracious" and word "disrespectful" are not the same to me, and I did not use the word disrespectful. But you brought up ungracious, and your original post on this Moji thing was certainly ungracious, so all I'm saying is if you set the tone that way (even unintentionally), maybe don't be surprised when you get what feels to you like ungracious replies back.

But I said I wasn't going to post more on this didn't I... :)
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    This is exactly what this thread needs...fire and passion...a misunderstanding like this brought out hurt feelings...you could not have hurt feelings if you did not care so much about the music or artist...this thread feels like family..:)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In related news, I finally got to see the excellent Frames documentary "In the Deep Shade", and one of the best parts of it was when Glen and other band members described how "in the moment" they try to be during live shows and how they never know the direction the show will take, sometimes even that a song will take... this is one of the reasons I think he's one of the best performers out there, and has been one of the best his whole career.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Glen rules. It's 1000% passion. No tricks ever.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

In related news, I finally got to see the excellent Frames documentary "In the Deep Shade", and one of the best parts of it was when Glen and other band members described how "in the moment" they try to be during live shows and how they never know the direction the show will take, sometimes even that a song will take... this is one of the reasons I think he's one of the best performers out there, and has been one of the best his whole career.

You should look up the swell season documentary. Follows the band for two years after the Oscar win but also sees some of glens fathers last days and all that was going on with that. That which informed a lot of this current record, if not its overriding theme and certainly its title.
  • Options
    I have seen the Swell Season doc, it's beautiful in both its beauty and its inclusion of difficult and awkward moments. Loved that at the recent show I saw Glen talked about his dad... don't remember him doing that before at any show I've seen. Very touching.
  • Options
    Mikeo said:

This is exactly what this thread needs...fire and passion...a misunderstanding like this brought out hurt feelings...you could not have hurt feelings if you did not care so much about the music or artist...this thread feels like family..:)

This is an extremely sweet post Mikeo. :)
  • Options
    derbydave said:

the AMAZING horn section on "Lowly Deserter" and "Didn't He Ramble"...
    and as someone pointed out earlier in this thread,
    WHY isn't this song on the new album??
    it's such a GREAT song!!!!

Didn't He Ramble isn't on the album is because Glen didn't feel like he got the lyric just right in time. Here's a link to a great interview where he talks about it...
    (the whole interview is great but the section about Didn't He Ramble stars at 13:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5fz4NdfpI
    grace and peace
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    samsonite said:

derbydave said:

Didn't He Ramble isn't on the album is because Glen didn't feel like he got the lyric just right in time. Here's a link to a great interview where he talks about it...
    (the whole interview is great but the section about Didn't He Ramble stars at 13:20)

Thank you so much for posting this GREAT interview!!
    I had to watch the whole thing and really did enjoy hearing the stories Glen shared!!
    :plus_one:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Mikeo said:

PJ_Soul said:

Mikeo said:

Agreed:)
    Great to see people caring about GH and his music at last:)
  • Options
    samsonite said:

derbydave said:

What a great interview! Thanks for sharing it!
    Don't know who he means about making furniture
    Ehhhh
    facebook.com/woodenideas75
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

samsonite said:

derbydave said:

Ehhhh
    WHO could it be????
    :plus_one:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

samsonite said:

derbydave said:

Ehhhh
    No wonder you liked the interview so much! :)
  • Options
    Wow, I just watched that interview. It was EXCELLENT! So impressed with where Glen has arrived at in his career and his thinking about his art. And that amazing Leonard Cohen story... it explains a lot actually! I'd met Patti Smith a few times and she's not really immediately warm and fuzzy to strangers a lot of the time, even though she's AMAZING with an amazing heart. In 1999 I happened to be at a festival where Glen played and I was nearby when he met Patti Smith for the first time. I heard and saw the brief but sweet interaction and I remember thinking "Wow, I'm sure that guy has a deep respect for her, but he totally just charmed her in a split second - she walked away with such a big smile! How did he do that??" I imagine meeting Leonard Cohen at 15 like that can help do that to you, open you up to that gracious and magnetic person you have inside...

Great interview, and I was very impressed with that guy Shad's questions and the way he listened to his subject and built on some questions. There are a LOT of great looking interviews on that site (including Patti Smith :) ) I look forward to going back and exploring more. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    JH6056 said:

In 1999 I happened to be at a festival where Glen played and I was nearby when he met Patti Smith for the first time. I heard and saw the brief but sweet interaction and I remember thinking "Wow, I'm sure that guy has a deep respect for her, but he totally just charmed her in a split second - she walked away with such a big smile! How did he do that??" I imagine meeting Leonard Cohen at 15 like that can help do that to you, open you up to that gracious and magnetic person you have inside...

I think it's because he's Irish :)
  • Options
    Maybe, although there are a lot of Irish people in the world... I'm pretty sure Glen's got some extra level of charm/engagement that goes beyond his heritage...
  • Options
    Very true. He is very humble.
  • Options
    Getting a promo poster for a very important Glen show I attended framed right now. I had the opportunity to tell Glen how much that show in particular meant, and he signed the poster, too! It will be my first ever framed poster--I'm stoked! I pick it up on Saturday :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

Getting a promo poster for a very important Glen show I attended framed right now. I had the opportunity to tell Glen how much that show in particular meant, and he signed the poster, too! It will be my first ever framed poster--I'm stoked! I pick it up on Saturday :)

awesome, please post a pic when you get it back!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Here it is! I'm so happy! image
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Most awesome Sam - don't you just love the feelings that return every time you look at it?
  • Options
    Beautiful framing job! Lovely!
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It was certainly a special show for me. It will always reminds me that there is hope in dark times.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    We all need reminders like that... You're lucky your reminder is so aesthetically pleasing! ;)