Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629

don't hate on Glen - he is a top-notch performer and a better person - gracious and kind with his fans. C'mon now!!!

I don't hate on Glen. I adore him and his music. I am just criticizing something dine at his show, relax.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just because I criticize him it doesn't mean I am not still a fan.
    But i talked to this woman after the show, and she acted like she'd never even met Glen before.

You are completely sure the woman you spoke to was actually Moji? Like positive? And she said she'd never met Glen before?
    Well, it was a black woman who looks and sings like Moji, and sang Her Mercy with him to close the show. So I guess I'm pretty sure. That would be quite the spectacular coincidence otherwise.... i suppose anything is possible, lol.
    She didn't literally say she'd never met Glen before. She was just acting like that. Me and every other person there clearly believed that she was just a random fan from the audience. She certainly didn't correct anyone.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited December 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

But i talked to this woman after the show, and she acted like she'd never even met Glen before.

You are completely sure the woman you spoke to was actually Moji? Like positive? And she said she'd never met Glen before?
    Well, it was a black woman who looks and sings like Moji, and sang Her Mercy with him to close the show. So I guess I'm pretty sure. That would be quite the spectacular coincidence otherwise.... i suppose anything is possible, lol.
    She didn't literally say she'd never met Glen before. She was just acting like that. Me and every other person there clearly believed that she was just a random fan from the audience. She certainly didn't correct anyone.
    Well then that's a wholly different thing. The fact that in your opinion she acted like she'd never met him is... really your impression of how she acted. It IS possible that someone who is not a professional singer can get wildly excited and freaked out by being asked onstage for something like that, even if she's done it before and knows Glen. I have a friend in NYC who has been invited up to sing a Frames song called Red Chord at least 3 times over the years, and every time you'd think she'd never met him or been onstage before because she is just *that* excited. And if no one actually asked her if she knew Glen or was professional, and she never answered, it's unfair to say "she didn't correct anyone". How would she know her excitement meant everyone was SURE she had never sang onstage with Glen before?

You said: "So now I'm realizing that she's planted in the audience every show, and I don't appreciate the big fake act at all. They need to stop with that crap. It's just a big lie. Have her just come out on stage as part of the performance instead of lying to everyone. I'm a bit disappointed in Glen for doing that."

You made a lot of assumptions there and in the rest of your post about this, mainly that this occurred every night on the tour, that it was planned and planted and fake, and that she'd never met him. And 2 of those are definitely not true (if it even was Moji, although there are other Black women who sing and know Glen so... but we'll assume it was Moji): It didn't happen every night and in fact so far it's only confirmed it happened 2 of about 16 US shows; she never said she never met him, so it's not true that that was faked (and it is totally possible to be freaked out and pumped up each time it happens); and for those of us who've seen multiple shows on many tours the 3rd one is highly unlikely that it was a "plant" because he asks people spontaneously to come up onstage all the time. Sometimes people have an idea it might happen, sometimes they've got no idea, sometimes he doesn't even know they're there until he hears them singing or spies someone he knows in the audience.

And jumping on her as if she was being fake just because she was gracious about being complimented, and again, if it was Moji, she is NOT a professional... again really harsh and unfair to assume she was lying and faking.

Of course you're still going to have whatever impression you have, but wow that was a lot of jumping to conclusion.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Best Folk Grammy Nomination for Glen Hansard's Didn't he Ramble :clap:
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well then that's a wholly different thing. The fact that in your opinion she acted like she'd never met him is... really your impression of how she acted. It IS possible that someone who is not a professional singer can get wildly excited and freaked out by being asked onstage for something like that, even if she's done it before and knows Glen. I have a friend in NYC who has been invited up to sing a Frames song called Red Chord at least 3 times over the years, and every time you'd think she'd never met him or been onstage before because she is just *that* excited. And if no one actually asked her if she knew Glen or was professional, and she never answered, it's unfair to say "she didn't correct anyone". How would she know her excitement meant everyone was SURE she had never sang onstage with Glen before?

You said: "So now I'm realizing that she's planted in the audience every show, and I don't appreciate the big fake act at all. They need to stop with that crap. It's just a big lie. Have her just come out on stage as part of the performance instead of lying to everyone. I'm a bit disappointed in Glen for doing that."

You made a lot of assumptions there and in the rest of your post about this, mainly that this occurred every night on the tour, that it was planned and planted and fake, and that she'd never met him. And 2 of those are definitely not true (if it even was Moji, although there are other Black women who sing and know Glen so... but we'll assume it was Moji): It didn't happen every night and in fact so far it's only confirmed it happened 2 of about 16 US shows; she never said she never met him, so it's not true that that was faked (and it is totally possible to be freaked out and pumped up each time it happens); and for those of us who've seen multiple shows on many tours the 3rd one is highly unlikely that it was a "plant" because he asks people spontaneously to come up onstage all the time. Sometimes people have an idea it might happen, sometimes they've got no idea, sometimes he doesn't even know they're there until he hears them singing or spies someone he knows in the audience.

And jumping on her as if she was being fake just because she was gracious about being complimented, and again, if it was Moji, she is NOT a professional... again really harsh and unfair to assume she was lying and faking.

Of course you're still going to have whatever impression you have, but wow that was a lot of jumping to conclusion.
    Moji was in Madison, WI as well, and was in the audience. I don't really remember how she was introduced though.
  • Options
    That is soooo freakin' cool! Alabama Shakes got some noms too, and Kendrick Lamar got the most... Mystified (as usual) by some other noms (like is Meghan Trainor really a "new artist"??) but so glad Glen got this nom!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    McCready slipped in there with Brandi Carlisle :)
  • Options
    Cool, he's on her album? I'm sure I should have known that, but I didn't... Good for him!
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    edited December 2015
    Moji is a friend of the bands and not a touring band member nor a 'plant'. If she's at the show glen will sometimes call her up. Not at all shows either. He plays very much in the moment and to accuse something spur of the moment and random is staged is quite cynical but also totally uninformed and incorrect.
    And if It was moji you spoke to after the show and she pretended to not know Glen or the lads that's to protect them and her from requests and hassle.
    I'd rather make friends with someone them Taking me on my own terms rather than trying to make friends with me cos I know Glen. Wouldn't you?

The only part of glens show that's prearranged at all is the auld triangle, all the techs and whatever guests are each up on stage to take a verse.
    That's hardly even staged as you put it.
  • Options
    His reaction to the Grammy nomination is funny

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496

Awesome
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Well deserved :plus_one:
    This and MMJ's The Waterfall are my FAVORITE albums of the year!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    edited December 2015
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know why what I'm saying seems to be bothering you so much.
    Yes, I feel like the audience was mislead. Not just me. The whole crowd. You actually really can't judge one way or the other if you weren't there. What I know is that she absolutely 100% was acting like she didn't know Glen. No one asked her specifically (why would they??), but the implications were clear to those who were there. I think someone who actually experienced it would know better than you what the deal was.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

Nice!
    It is definitely one of the best albums of the year, folk or otherwise.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    PJ_Soul

What an utterly ridiculous thing to get annoyed about.

Takin it upon yourself to feel 'mislead' on behalf of a whole audience?
    I think you should read my previous post. I'll take it upon myself to respond to what you're alleging about someone who's my family and someone else who's my friend. Neither were misleading you and it's BS to allege they were misleading you.
    Man...That's the most cynical thing I think Ive ever read about glen or any of his shows.. But having seen over 1000 Glen shows in many forms I can tell you you're 1000% wrong and it's a real shame you imagined up and took such a shitty thing out of such a great experience. Your loss.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I don't see why you give a shit about what my perceptions are.
    It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I was simply surprised finding out that the woman wasn't just a fan randomly picked from the crowd, as she made herself out to be. It's actually not a big deal - I am just talking about it as an experience I had. I don't think you have any right to tell me that what I'm annoyed by is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Give some context then. How or what situation did you find yourself in with her that you came away with that feeling? Could be she just didn't like whoever was around her in the situation and she was uncomfortable or more likely as I said earlier wanted to protect herself and Glen etc from someone suddenly being dishonest in wanting to be her friend cos she knows the lads.
    Either way it's a shitty allegation to make on her and to Glen.
    she neither owes anyone anything and it's preposterous to suggest feeling mislead in light of that.
  • Options
    I'd rather not talk about it anymore, lol. I've said what I wanted to say, I don't think my emotions about an experience can be called preposterous. I was taken aback when I found out what the real deal was and I expressed it. I'm over it now.
  • Options
    The real deal? Your emotions?
    I think you might be very confused about the situation but you're also 100% wrong too. Nobody mislead you. Please let the rest of the audience know that too won't you? As their spokesman it's only fair.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    So that makes you what? Glen Hansard's spokesman? Or just Moji's?
    You actually weren't even there, so you have no clue one way or the other.
    I was not suggesting that these two were back stage rubbing their hands together and cackling as they came up with a plan to trick the audience, lol. But I have NEVER seen an artist repeatedly pull a singer friend up out of the crowd and not even introduce them, and then see the singer go back to the crowd and act like she and the artist were perfect strangers. It just strikes me as odd, and it definitely does make a difference to how the crowd is understanding the situation. It was indeed misleading.
    Love Glen though, and she is an amazing singer. And I remember one thing: some idiot came running up to her and yelled in her face, "God, your talent disgusts me!!" It was really obnoxious and weird, like bitter jealousy that she tried to turn into some kind of compliment, and Moji handled it well. I probably would have told the lady to fuck off, lol.
  • Options
    Im neither but you're misinformed and actually wrong so I just wanted to put it right. Your allegation was scurrilous baseless and inaccurate.
    Showed moji this thread. She thinks it's hysterical and funny you mentioned it but she tells me Glen never even knows when she's there but if he sees her big hair in the crowd he sometimes calls her up. Simple as that. Hope that puts it to bed for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    'then see the singer go back to the crowd and act like she and the artist were perfect strangers.' so she's supposed to get back in the crowd and hold court bragging that she knows the band? Could it be she's actually quite humble and doesn't want to draw attention away from the show and wants to just enjoy the rest of the show herself?

It's plain youve pulled something outta thin air about this and it's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but you're mad wrong and I hope you get that.

Ps you appointed yourself spokesman for an entire audience of a few thousand people you don't know. I got the back of two people I actually do know and will address any nonsense BS lies being put on their names/ reputations :)
    Post edited by eldarion75 on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    And you're doing a really tactful job of it too! lol!
    There was not one lie that I told. I expressed my impression. I'm glad Moji saw it - now she knows how it comes off. Maybe Glen should start introducing her!
  • Options
    I showed moji this whole thing and here follows her response, reproduced with her permission.

I saw it and read through it... thanks for defending my honor. I would love to tell then that it is entirely up to Glen when and if he feels like asking me to sing with him. Not only that, but I sometimes don't even tell him I will be at his show, so it is a surprise for both of us! If he happens to see my big hair in the audience, he calls me up, if not I get to be an audience member of one of the most captivating live shows. That's a win-win in my book.

I am always surprised and very much overwhelmed by the adrenaline of the moment. His confidence in me being able to do his song justice is a tremendous feeling. As an artist who feels like a song is their child, I am honored... and his band fucking rocks! If he thought I was pretending not to know, that is bonkers because he introduced me in Madison, and said hello to me from the stage at Kings theatre before asking me up. I "acted bashful" because I am bashful about the compliments... I appreciate their kind words but am not used to nor want to feel spoiled by their appreciation.

I just love to sing and to have the opportunity to do so makes my heart swell.

Cynicism be damned, I hope to maintain a sense of humility all through my life. Even if I get the chance to play Madison Square fucking Garden! Haha!

Love to you!

M.
  • Options
    Tell her to mention to Glen that he should introduce her so that the crowd doesn't think he's pulling strangers out of the crowd! It makes a difference to their idea of what's happening.
  • Options
    Again with the presumption you're owed something. Glen very very frequently pulls random people out of the crowd, or buskers he saw that day in the city or invites a random audience member to take a verse if they know it. If you need everything explained labelled and spoonfed to you, you're missing the point and the magic in the moment.

So if he called on you at a show, what, you'd want the crowd to be told who you are where you're from and what valid reason he has for calling you? Come on...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I don't think I'm owed anything. Where'd you get that from? I'm making a suggestion. When I saw her on Conan and heard she was at another show as well, yes, I felt like something weird was going on. I really don't think that's an unreasonable reaction.
    I know, he pulled a stranger out that night as well (which definitely contributed to everyone thinking Moji was a stranger as well). No, I wouldn't expect him to introduce a stranger. Just a friend!
    You're now making a lot of assumptions about me.
    I didn't miss any magic in the moment. I experienced that on the night of the show.
  • Options
    You're accusing them both of contriving a moment that actually happens randomly and naturally. Didn't see her on Conan with Glen, she was on letterman with him though?
    Glen also gave Damien rice his first access to a larger audience, as well as josh Ritter among others.
    Can we call their success back in cos you feel it's contrived and you're being mislead?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'm owed anything. Where'd you get that from? I'm making a suggestion. When I saw her on Conan and heard she was at another show as well, yes, I felt like something weird was going on. I really don't think that's an unreasonable reaction.
    I know, he pulled a stranger out that night as well (which definitely contributed to everyone thinking Moji was a stranger as well). No, I wouldn't expect him to introduce a stranger. Just a friend!
    You're now making a lot of assumptions about me.
    I didn't miss any magic in the moment. I experienced that on the night of the show.

PJ Soul one thing you should really stop doing right now is trying to speak for the ENTIRE AUDIENCE. When you say "everyone thinking Moji was a stranger", that is highly problematic. Unless you polled every single audience member on their impressions of the event, which obviously you did not, you cannot and should not think you can speak for an entire audience.

Eldarion75 has already addressed the fact that your sense that something was trying to be faked and that a false impression was trying to be foisted on the audience is false. Whatever your interpretation, for those of us who've seen many shows and for Eldarion75 who knows the behind-the-scenes happenings, it simply isn't an effort to fool anyone and Glen himself would probably be quite surprised it was taken that way.

But more than anything I just find it interesting that you don't understand that you took 2 bits of information (that Moji appeared at another show and that she knows Glen) and jumped to a whole bunch of conclusions about it. It's interesting that you won't own it, because at the end of the day, no matter what your impression was, it was an unfair jump to conclusions (you even thought it meant Moji was at every single show and planted in the audience and you called it a lie).

I've been around long enough to know that actually it isn't worth actually getting upset about, so no, I'm not upset. But that doesn't mean I won't address what I see as unfair and unjustified criticism, and your original allegation that it was a big lie was just that: unfair.

Other than that, hey, feel duped or that Glen should introduce Moji all you like. You are always entitled to your opinion, as we all are. Just wanted to make sure you had context that she's not part of the show, and by her own words Glen doesn't even always know when she's going to be there and even when she is sometimes, he does not call her up.

Good for her, Moji sounds like a lovely, grounded, humble person. I wish her well in her musical and other pursuits.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

You're accusing them both of contriving a moment that actually happens randomly and naturally. Didn't see her on Conan with Glen, she was on letterman with him though?
    Glen also gave Damien rice his first access to a larger audience, as well as josh Ritter among others.
    Can we call their success back in cos you feel it's contrived and you're being mislead?

I'm not accusing them anymore. You very rudely staightened that out (the message from Moji was nice though). FYI, I haven't graciously acknowledged that because you have been so very ungracious. Now I am simply saying that that was the impression at the show, and it was a let down when I thought he was planting someone (which, given the circumstances and what I knew, was actually a perfectly fair assumption).
    FWIW, perhaps a better way of handling it, rather than belittling me post after post after post, would have been to calmly explain the whole story without hurling personal insults, and then I could have just said, "oh, okay, good to know that wasn't a set up."