http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRhtO9qWQ0
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    nice ^
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

So here's Glen doing Present Tense

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRhtO9qWQ0

Thanks for that! Amazing. Hope he covers it in NYC!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    May 30th said:

Love those songs especially how they sound back to back

Yes! Very fitting.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited November 2015
    Well Holy shit! On my way home from his show. That was something REALLY special!!! Seriously one the best shows I have ever seen in my whole life. Just fucking incredible. I'm almost in shock because of how amazing, joyful, passionate, and funny it was. Glen is this great storyteller. He was telling stories all night long, relating the songs to them. The band was insane, Glen was just amazing. Goosebumps over and over again.

Wonderful sing-alongs, and twice during the encore he pulled fans up to help him sing a couple of songs, just because he heard them singing along during the encore when a bunch of people crowded around the stage. The first one was the awesome woman I was sitting next to! We both came alone, and we really connected before the show, so it was cool to enjoy the show together. She was a great concert buddy, and a great singer. She sang the duet with him for Falling Slowly! I talked to her after and she was obviosly living one of the greatest moments of her life - it was really cool. :) The second women from the crowd was absolutely outstanding. Glen actually ended up passing the stage over to her for most of Her Mercy, the last song of the night, and the crowd was nuts for her. There was also a big traditional Irish drinking type of song that the whole 10 piece band and some of the crew lead a capella - the whole crowd was completely into it, singing along. And the encore opened with Glen and his guitarist suddenly appearing up on the balcony, where they played two totally acoustic songs.

Magical night!!! Do not miss a Glen Hansard show when it comes to you, whatever you do!

So yeah. One of the greatest shows I have ever been a part of. :heart:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    We're seeing him next Thursday, and I'll echo what PJ_Soul said, do not miss a Glen Hansard show!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:

Well Holy shit! On my way home from his show. That was something REALLY special!!! Seriously one the best shows I have ever seen in my whole life. Just fucking incredible. I'm almost in shock because of how amazing, joyful, passionate, and funny it was. Glen is this great storyteller. He was telling stories all night long, relating the songs to them. The band was insane, Glen was just amazing. Goosebumps over and over again.

Wonderful sing-alongs, and twice during the encore he pulled fans up to help him sing a couple of songs, just because he heard them singing along during the encore when a bunch of people crowded around the stage. The first one was the awesome woman I was sitting next to! We both came alone, and we really connected before the show, so it was cool to enjoy the show together. She was a great concert buddy, and a great singer. She sang the duet with him for Falling Slowly! I talked to her after and she was obviosly living one of the greatest moments of her life - it was really cool. :) The second women from the crowd was absolutely outstanding. Glen actually ended up passing the stage over to her for most of Her Mercy, the last song of the night, and the crowd was nuts for her. There was also a big traditional Irish drinking type of song that the whole 10 piece band and some of the crew lead a capella - the whole crowd was completely into it, singing along. And the encore opened with Glen and his guitarist suddenly appearing up on the balcony, where they played two totally acoustic songs.

Magical night!!! Do not miss a Glen Hansard show when it comes to you, whatever you do!

So yeah. One of the greatest shows I have ever been a part of. :heart:

Thanks for the GREAT review!!!
    I'm SUPER-STOKED for my show in Cincinnati now...
    The new album is INCREDIBLE and I can't wait to see one of the BEST performers touring today!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Sounds fun PJSoul - too bad Glen is not getting too close to me. :(
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJ Soul I'm pretty sure the drinking song you mentioned is the Pogues song Auld Triangle ("And the auld triangle... goes jingle jangle...[something something] all along the banks of the Royal Canal") - does that sound like it? He's been doing it as a massive singalong for the last several legs of his tours.
  • Options
    I'm really hoping to go myself, but his show near me is the weekend right after Thanksgiving so still trying to figure out if we'll be in town. Hoping so, don't want to miss it!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    JH6056 said:

PJ Soul I'm pretty sure the drinking song you mentioned is the Pogues song Auld Triangle ("And the auld triangle... goes jingle jangle...[something something] all along the banks of the Royal Canal") - does that sound like it? He's been doing it as a massive singalong for the last several legs of his tours.

Yeah, that's the one! Super fun. Some of the crew made up lyrics particular to the city, and they were very funny. It's especially funny to hear musicians who can't sing to save their lives singing, haha. Seems like a cool group of people - the band and crew all seemed to have a good time and to get along well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,667
    My parents flew from Edmonton to see his show in Vancouver. They said him and his band were unbelievable and they wanted to follow him to the next two shows even.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    The auld triangle is actually an old Dublin song by a folk group called the Dubliners. The Pogues covered it too but it's not theirs at all. Just a heads up ;)

Brilliant song though :)
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Glen did a dj spot on pearl jam radio. He has an insightful and interesting view on the songs he picked hehe
    You can download it here https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJYRE90UnF1Yk52Zk1UQw
  • Options
    Good to know about the Dubliners original!
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    We went to the Madison and Chicago shows....they were amazing!! Sound was great, Glen was funny as hell...as usual...on to St Louis next...
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    Great show in Madison! My only question is...why isn't Didn't he Ramble on the album?
  • Options
    Super-stoked for my turn to see Glen tomorrow night in Cincinnati.
    Love the new album and after reading all of the reviews here,
    I know it's gonna be an INCREDIBLE SHOW!! :rock_on:
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    Ok....this guy is playing out of his fucking mind...the St. Louis show is the best yet...so much energy and emotion...front row dident hurt either..AMAZING!!
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,085
    edited November 2015
    Mikeo said:

Ok....this guy is playing out of his fucking mind...the St. Louis show is the best yet...so much energy and emotion...front row dident hurt either..AMAZING!!

Well said. Energy and emotion can't be overstated with this guys live performance.

Still comprehending what we saw last night in STL. AMAZING show! I can't even describe how good this show was. This guy makes you "feel" music. Every song he plays feels like an encore. Not one dull moment the entire show.

He tagged "Smile" at the end of his cover of Van Morrisons "Astral Weeks".
    During the jam he sang "walking down the streets of St. Louis, looking for Eddie Vedder". And then went into "Smile". Such a cool moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I went to my 6th Glen Hansard show last night down in Cincinnati and this was one of the BEST concerts I've attended this year!!
    I loved all of the songs from his new album, as well as the classic Glen songs I've heard over the years...his music really is timeless.
    We were treated to several "special" guest performers tonight,
    a local beat-boxer, a childhood friend of Glen's that now lives in Pittsburgh & a singer/guitarist from Detroit who has played with the drummer for years.
    These performances made this show really unique and you could tell it meant a lot to Glen to share the stage with his friends!!
    Highlights for me were the show opener "Grace Beneath The Pines" sang at the edge of the stage in busker style,

Glen seated at the piano with a single spotlight for "McCormack's Wall,"

the AMAZING horn section on "Lowly Deserter" and "Didn't He Ramble"...
    and as someone pointed out earlier in this thread,
    WHY isn't this song on the new album??
    it's such a GREAT song!!!!

Closing the show with "Her Mercy" was perfect!!
    This song is definitely my FAVORITE from the new album,
    and my pick for performance of the night!!

What an INCREDIBLE show...Glen keeps getting better every time I see him!!

Picked up a tour poster, a couple of patches & a few of the coolest stickers I've seen in a while!!
    Post edited by derbydave on

• Options
    how long were the merch lines? :) Sweet pics!!! Looks like an awesome experience.
  • Options

how long were the merch lines? :) Sweet pics!!! Looks like an awesome experience.

We waited until after the show to pick up our merch...
    so we didn't have to lug it around all night!!
    The lines were a little longer than earlier in the evening,
    but we still got thru in about 15 minutes or so!! :rock_on:

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    Not sure if I ever posted this here but in 2011 I saw Glen at LPR in Manhattan. While waiting online outside, I see Glen walking down the streets of NYC with his guitar case in hand. Only one other person near me seemed to notice so I didn't say anything to make a big spectacle of it. When he passed I said something like "have a good show Glen" and he smiled and thanked me for coming. It seemed like we were about to have a conversation (he was really approachable and cool) but then everyone started freaking out asking for autographs and wanting to take pics so he went inside. What a badass way to show up to your own concert haha.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Got this autographed a couple years ago :) What a great memory!

photo image_zpsfwtqsgyv.jpeg

Here's a video I made from that night.

https://youtu.be/MRxSmqA8dkM
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Monday and Tuesday can't come soon enough! I'm so pumped. Anyone else going to the NY shows? Going to both solo!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Awww, if they weren't the Mon and Tues right after Thanksgiving, I'd be up for at least one of em, and would have been awesome to go with you! Enjoy even on your own, you know they're gonna be fantastic! And I've seen a few Glen shows on my own, still spectacular. :)
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    samjam said:

Monday and Tuesday can't come soon enough! I'm so pumped. Anyone else going to the NY shows? Going to both solo!

I'll be at the Beacon show. Anyone have an idea about what time Glen's been hitting the stage? Beacon ticket says 8pm so I'm assuming 930?
  • Options
    In Cincinnati, doors were 6:30...
    Opening act went on around 7:30,
    and Glen started his set right at 8:30.
    He played until 10:45!! :rock_on: