Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,379
    Is anyone going to the Philly show?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Got a nice Smile (PJ) tag at the Toronto show tonight.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376

How did you enjoy the show?? Full band or just him solo?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

Great show! He played some stuff on his own, but he also had a 9 piece band backing him up (with some other special guests along the way). At one point he came out and played with his guitar unplugged and no mic, which was great because I was in the second row. Definitely a memorable evening.

Hearing smile at the end of Astral Weeks is always nice too!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

Great show! He played some stuff on his own, but he also had a 9 piece band backing him up (with some other special guests along the way). At one point he came out and played with his guitar unplugged and no mic, which was great because I was in the second row. Definitely a memorable evening.

That's awesome!!!! Making my more excited for my concert in about 3 weeks. Can't wait! Glad you had a great time. :)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

He also mentioned at one point that the trombone and sax player used to play with Levon Helm. It was pretty cool to see them improvise throughout the show.
  • Options
    I had thought this leg of the tour was solo acoustic, then I heard that he was performing with a band. Maybe it's just the Union Transfer show in Philly that is solo? Or maybe I am just confused. :?:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Just to clarify - Glen is doing a Fall Tour in September & October of the US & Canada with the lads (aka the guys from the Frames as his backing band and some brass and string players) and he is then touring without the band to open for Ed in November (starting of course in Las Vegas).

Glen's tour dates are here:

http://www.glenhansardmusic.com/songofg ... ?page_id=4

With the Frames guys there you should get a great mix of stuff from Glen's extensive catalog - have fun!! :D
  • Options
    Thanks.

We saw him with the band at the Beacon this summer, and for some reason I thought the fall tour was just Glen. This is good, though -- my younger son is the biggest Glen Hansard fan in the family, and he had to miss the show at the Beacon. (He's also the tallest member of the family, so the fact that the Union Transfer show is GA should not hurt him. :lol: )
  • Options

Second row? I was in that row, too!

I had a great time at the show. Everything sounded great from start to finish. Highlights included Leave, Astral Weeks, Gold, Say it to Me Now and Passing Through.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Can't wait for tomorrow. Been in need of something like a Glen concert to clear my head. Music heals.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Can't wait for tomorrow. Been in need of something like a Glen concert to clear my head. Music heals.
    I'm sure it's going to be amazing!
  • Options

Second row? I was in that row, too!

I had a great time at the show. Everything sounded great from start to finish. Highlights included Leave, Astral Weeks, Gold, Say it to Me Now and Passing Through.

Small world... had seats 13/14.
  • Options
    Small world... had seats 13/14.
    Cool, I was in seat 25. Had a PJ shirt on, but it was obscured by my jacket.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Can't even begin to explain how incredible the 9:30 Club show was last night. Very much needed not only for me, but for the friend who I ended up going with. Funny how stuff like that works out. Glen is just hands down one of the most incredible, talented musicians out there. I am amazed every time he opens his mouth to sing. This was my 4th Glen performance (x2 opening for Eddie, once at the Beacon in NYC this June) and he just gets better every time! Highlights were: High Hope, Astral Weeks, Song of Good Hope, Fitzcarraldo, Drive All Night, the most fun version of Don't Do It to close, and the busking versions of Say It To Me Now and Gold. My friend and I were very close to the stage, about 5-6 people were in front of us to begin with. Then when the people in front of us who we made nice with left, there were only about 2-3 people in front of us! Amazing to feel the energy leap off the stage. At the end my friend and I both ended up getting picks and setlists :) Pretty awesome close to a wonderful night.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Can't even begin to explain how incredible the 9:30 Club show was last night. Very much needed not only for me, but for the friend who I ended up going with. Funny how stuff like that works out. Glen is just hands down one of the most incredible, talented musicians out there. I am amazed every time he opens his mouth to sing. This was my 4th Glen performance (x2 opening for Eddie, once at the Beacon in NYC this June) and he just gets better every time! Highlights were: High Hope, Astral Weeks, Song of Good Hope, Fitzcarraldo, Drive All Night, the most fun version of Don't Do It to close, and the busking versions of Say It To Me Now and Gold. My friend and I were very close to the stage, about 5-6 people were in front of us to begin with. Then when the people in front of us who we made nice with left, there were only about 2-3 people in front of us! Amazing to feel the energy leap off the stage. At the end my friend and I both ended up getting picks and setlists :) Pretty awesome close to a wonderful night.
    An
    Really cool!!! Glad you had a great time!! Now I REALLY can't wait for October 3rd!!! And the setlist sounds amazing! So glad he is play Fitzcarraldo, Say it to me now and Song of Good Hope!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    samjam wrote:
    That is awesome! I wish I still lived near DC so I could go to shows at the 9:30 Club...
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    did anyone here order their tickets through Crowdsurge from Glen's website? I swear that they were willcall only, but my wife says that she saw them here at our house. I'm thinking she saw some other tickets for a different show, since I haven't found them.
  • Options
    kramer73 wrote:
    did anyone here order their tickets through Crowdsurge from Glen's website? I swear that they were willcall only, but my wife says that she saw them here at our house. I'm thinking she saw some other tickets for a different show, since I haven't found them.

They are all at will call..
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Saw Glen Saturday night in Cincy. 4th row... This is my 4th time seeing Glen, and the first time seeing him headline. Good god it was an amazing show. Seriously, even the opening band was amazing.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    kramer73 wrote:

They are all at will call..

managed to find my email about it last night, lol. Thanks!
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Seeing him this Friday and can't wait, have a great seat too!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    the end to an amazing night in Milwaukee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjOWGIYNHI

well, it wasn't really the end...he also played the song from Once with a member of the audience (who he knew)

There may have been more, I mean, he played for almost 3 hours!
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    kramer73 wrote:

Cool. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    NoWayNoWay St. Louis Posts: 347
    morello wrote:
    kramer73 wrote:

Cool. :)

Must've been extra special to hear them play The Weight with Levon Hem's horn section.
    St. Louis - 7/27/92, 4/22/03, 10/5/04, 5/4/10, 7/1/11 (EV), 10/3/14
    Chicago - 5/17/06, 8/21/08 (EV), 8/23/09, 7/19/13, 8/20/16
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    East Troy - 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    http://www.myspace.com/theswellseasons/

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Mashups of Swell Season songs with rapping over them..................
  • Options
    who_me13 wrote:
    http://www.myspace.com/theswellseasons/

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Mashups of Swell Season songs with rapping over them..................

:lol: That's so weird!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Finally seeing him tomorrow...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    thefixer9 wrote:

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you Rico!!! :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll look for you. Hope for a killer show.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011