Hurricane Irene

Comments

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Glad that turned out to be much less intense than they predicted. We have a couple of down trees and the stream across the street flooded, but no damage for us. Luckily we never lost power. A few of my neighbors have leaks and my parents and brother's yards flooded, but no damage to their houses. A lot of the local roads are flooded, so travel today could be tricky, but overall made out pretty well.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    well no one back home has power and there's a lot of flooding but everyone is safe and that's all i care about. :)
  • So much debris in the neighborhood
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    bloomberg said all power should be back by tuesday

mass transit is a crapshoot atm (for tomorrow morning)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    We're lucky. We only lost power 3 times, for about 2 minutes each time.

I feel so bad about the people that died.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

At least you have $290 worth of food to eat
    :lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    Powers out at my apartment, guess I gotta stay by moms till I leave for Alpine on Thursday.

She's a great cook, could be worse. We watched Perfect Storm last night with a bunch of us in the basement. The movie was my choice, I'm a lil nuts
  • sounds like some more winds outside my house in queens.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."

At least you have $290 worth of food to eat
    :lol:

i have to eat quick ...going to long island for 2 weeks in few days :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,964
    Glad that turned out to be much less intense than they predicted. We have a couple of down trees and the stream across the street flooded, but no damage for us. Luckily we never lost power. A few of my neighbors have leaks and my parents and brother's yards flooded, but no damage to their houses. A lot of the local roads are flooded, so travel today could be tricky, but overall made out pretty well.

I'm sooo happy all your shoes made through!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Went out for a walk earlier and didn't have to go too far to find some damage.

This was the building next to ours:

0828011331.jpg

0828011332.jpg

0828011337.jpg

0828011346.jpg

0828011355.jpg

0828011356.jpg
  • Not too bad here in Providence.

The power went out briefly 4 times. Lots of branches - some pretty large - in the yard. But overall, no harm done.

Sounds like other parts of RI didn't fair quite as well, but certainly nothing like other states.

Stay safe everyone!
    Here comes the sun! finally. and the wind has died down. I think we are finally out of it.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Here comes the sun! finally. and the wind has died down. I think we are finally out of it.

Still pretty breezy here in PA, but sunny and no clouds and most importantly, the power is back!!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    weather is beautiful right now. thanks irene! :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    stupid media....
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... print.html
    A Hurricane of Hype
    Irene fell far short of the media’s dire warnings even before it was downgraded. Howard Kurtz on the scaremongering by television and local officials.
    by Howard Kurtz | August 28, 2011 11:15 AM EDT

It was raining in Manhattan on Sunday morning, and the dogged correspondents in their brightly colored windbreakers were getting wet.

But the apocalypse that cable television had been trumpeting had failed to materialize. And at 9 a.m., you could almost hear the air come out of the media’s hot-air balloon of constant coverage when Hurricane Irene was downgraded to a tropical storm.

Not everyone was willing to accept this turn of events. When the Weather Channel’s Brian Norcross told MSNBC that forecasters had been expecting the first hurricane to make landfall in New York City since 1893—“and it didn’t happen”—anchor Alex Witt was openly skeptical.

“Really, Brian?” she asked. Hadn’t Irene technically still been a hurricane when it came ashore in New York an hour earlier? “Can’t we still go with that?”

No, Norcross said.

With not much to report on the island of Manhattan, the cable news channels switched to places like Long Beach, Long Island, where such correspondents as NBC’s Al Roker and CNN’s John King delivered their wind-whipped reports. “It looks pretty hurricane-ish to me,” Fox anchor Shep Smith said as reporter Jonathan Hunt, British and breathless, showed a hotel parking lot under a foot and a half of water.

Long Beach, it should be noted, is a narrow barrier island three feet above sea level and prone to flooding.
    hurricane irene media hype

Meteorologist Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel reporting from Battery Park in New York City on Saturday, Jonathan Saruk, The Weather Channel / Getty Images

Someone has to say it: cable news was utterly swept away by the notion that Irene would turn out to be Armageddon. National news organizations morphed into local eyewitness-news operations, going wall to wall for days with dire warnings about what would turn out to be a Category 1 hurricane, the lowest possible ranking. “Cable news is scaring the crap out of me, and I WORK in cable news,” Bloomberg correspondent Lizzie O’Leary tweeted.

I say this with all due respect to the millions who were left without power, to those communities facing flooding problems, and of course to the families of the 11 people (at last count) who lost their lives in storm-related accidents.

And I take nothing away from the journalists who worked around the clock, many braving the elements, to cover a hurricane that was sweeping its way from North Carolina to New England.

But the tsunami of hype on this story was relentless, a Category 5 performance that was driven in large measure by ratings. Every producer knew that to abandon the coverage even briefly—say, to cover the continued fighting in Libya—was to risk driving viewers elsewhere. Websites, too, were running dramatic headlines even as it became apparent that the storm wasn’t as powerful as advertised.

The fact that New York, home to the nation’s top news outlets, was directly in the storm’s path clearly fed this story-on-steroids. Does anyone seriously believe the hurricane would have drawn the same level of coverage if it had been bearing down on, say, Ft. Lauderdale?

The symbiotic relationship between television and local officials played a huge role. Chris Christie, the New Jersey governor who was all over television on Sunday morning, had drawn saturation coverage with his blunt warnings to “get the hell off the beach.” New York’s mayor, Michael Bloomberg, who ordered evacuations of low-lying areas, has been a constant presence. President Obama and FEMA officials made sure to generate their share of news as well.

Cable news was utterly swept away by the notion that Irene would turn out to be Armageddon.

These officials have a responsibility to plan for worst-case scenarios, of course, but something more blatantly political is at work. Mayors and governors need to be seen as on top of the crisis, which means being visible on the tube. No one wants to be the next Ray Nagin or Heckuva Job Brownie, looking disorganized after Katrina. A badly handled snowstorm has contributed to more than one mayor’s defeat.

The blizzard of press conferences, in turn, enable the networks to keep their "Breaking News" banners up and furnished a sense of drama for a story that otherwise consisted of reporters on streets where the hurricane was expected to strike and weather experts with their maps in climate-controlled studios.

Given the localized nature of storm coverage, it was hardly surprising that cable news kept switching to feeds from local stations. “Live Rescue in New York,” said the CNN banner, picking up a WABC-TV report on an elderly man in Westchester County being helped from rising waters. But it was hardly rare—the kind of submersion we routinely see in flooded Mississippi River towns.

Fox switched to a WNYW-TV report on rising water near a group of homes in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Smith joked that he didn’t want the local reporter to fall in the calf-high water, even though “it would make good television.” News alert from someone who grew up there: it’s a waterfront neighborhood with fishing boats on a large bay that feeds into the Atlantic. This stuff happens.

As the storm weakened, a tone of reality crept into the live reports. After heading to Battery Park, on the low-lying southern tip of Manhattan, CNN’s Anderson Cooper said: “There has been some flooding—not a huge amount of flooding, and some of the water is already starting to recede … It’s actually not bad at all.”

But there is always the prospect that something bad might happen soon. “Is Wall Street going to open tomorrow?” business correspondent Bob Pisani asked on MSNBC, the towers of the financial district behind him.

Hurricanes are unpredictable, and it’s a great relief that the prophets of doom were wrong about Hurricane Irene. But don’t expect the cable networks to downgrade their coverage the next time a tropical storm gathers strength.
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat wrote:

I'm sooo happy all your shoes made through!!! :mrgreen:
    :lol::lol::lol:

The water tight underground bunker made it through the storm, keeping the shoes well protected! Take that Irene! :twisted:

All the parks near my house are flooded. Fortunately my street is clear, just can't get very far beyond that :lol:

http://collingswood.patch.com/articles/ ... to-7536072

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    weather is beautiful right now. thanks irene! :thumbup:

:mrgreen: went to the movies and came out to sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPphDSc6ZEE
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    peacegirl wrote:
    My power went out last night around 6pm and hasn't come back yet. Called this morning and they said it will be this afternoon or evening...guess that's better than days or weeks...my sis is only about a mile away and still had power last night so I can go over there if need be

Went to bed around 9:30 cause I was bored..woke up around 1:30 but went right back to sleep...worst part was to hit us overnight but I guess I slept right through it!

Other than losing power I've been safe..Hope everyone else has been too
    Kind of funny....3 million people without power....

And YOU called to see when it will be turned on??? hehehehehe

Hope everyone is doing ok out East.....

I know, I even felt kind of silly calling but it looked like all my neighbors still had their power so I wanted to make sure it was reported for my street

It came back on sometime this afternoon...I went to a friends house around noon and hung out there til about 5..power was back on when I got home
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    My power just came back on-- lost it around midnight last night and SO glad it's back!! A bunch of people got hit moderately hard around here (I go to UMD) and a lot of people around here still don't have power.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    We lost power for 13 hours and spent about 15 minutes in the cellar waiting out a tornado warning. And had a good amount of water in the cellar thus morning. But I slept easily thru the night. And weather is now beautiful and looms like it'll stay that way.

Yea the hurricane in NY thing was out of control hyped. It was a lot of rain that's for sure. And I'm sorry for everyone who was really flooded or had trees fall down or, god forbid, died. But honestly it wasn't that bad.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • After staying up most of the night waiting for a tornado to knock over the big tree in our back yard and the power to go out I was happy that everything was fine in my area. That is until around 6PM last night...that's when our power out. WTF? It was so bizarre. It came back at one point, but kept flickering off about every 25 seconds (yes we were counting) for like 5-10 minutes...then off completely again. Finally went to bed and woke up around 12:30 and it was back on. Weird.
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
    After staying up most of the night waiting for a tornado to knock over the big tree in our back yard and the power to go out I was happy that everything was fine in my area. That is until around 6PM last night...that's when our power out. WTF? It was so bizarre. It came back at one point, but kept flickering off about every 25 seconds (yes we were counting) for like 5-10 minutes...then off completely again. Finally went to bed and woke up around 12:30 and it was back on. Weird.

It might have been from some of the flooding. Or the power might have been turned off in your area so they could fix something.

I work for one of the power companies and we are in full restoration mode, sending in every crew we can to Eastern PA and NJ
    21 dead up and down the coast ...

its amazing the weather is so nice today

nature can be cruel like that.

millions are without power, rivers still cresting today causing more flooding, a lot of people are in a bad way.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

nature can be cruel like that.

millions are without power, rivers still cresting today causing more flooding, a lot of people are in a bad way.

yea the power situation is bad...dam trees are always the worst thing in these situations

where i work in downtown manhattan was a river yesterday...today..not a puddle..wild
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    My power wen't out on Sunday 2am and it's still out today .....Lot's of trees down in the town i live in ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    My power wen't out on Sunday 2am and it's still out today .....Lot's of trees down in the town i live in ...
    Similar situation for me...went out early yesterday...still out.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    Same here. Lost power 5am sunday, still off. Some of the roads are still not passable. Hundreds of trees and power lines down. Upper westchester county is a frigging mess.

Other than a bunch of spoiled food, and some stir crazy kids, we are doing well.
    Put a nice dent in the handle of Dewar's :lol::lol: The wife and I actually had a nice romantic evening once the rugrats hit the hay. ;)