There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane

Comments

• pandora wrote:
    prljamgirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

As far as pot in her system that stays for 30 days and it was mentioned she liked to
    have a little before bed.

Actually you are incorrect about this.....yes pot can stay in your system for 30 days and yes it was mentioned that she liked to have some before bed from time to time, but it was ALSO mentioned in the documentary that the levels of THC in her system showed that it had been 15 to 30 minutes before her death that she was in fact smoking it. The fact that she had consumed the equivalent of 10 drinks in about 45 minutes would have advanced and intensified the effects of the pot.

You know I watched the same doc and did not hear or see that ... about the pot being smoked
    at that time... will have to research that...

I "researched" it for you Pandora(I DVR'd it). At around the 1 hr, 5 minute mark is where you want to start watching it(the part where they're at the lab). Ms. Schuler's THC level was 113 ng/ml, which is "very high". They were able to tell, based on research, that she could have smoked the marijuana anywhere from 15 min to an hour before the accident - this came from Betsy Spratt, Director of Toxicology, Westchester County. It`s right there in the documentary, so I don`t know how you "did not see or hear that."

They also said that because she had consumed the equivalent of 10 shots of vodka a short time before she crashed, this exacerbated the effects of the marijuana because ethanol increases the absorption of THC.

The fact that she was drunk and high is not in dispute. You can't argue with the toxicology results. There is no conspiracy here. Maybe something else was going on? Maybe she was in pain because of her tooth and it was driving her crazy and she wasn't in her right frame of mind - That doesn't change the fact that her blood-alcohol level was .19% (which is more than twice the legal limit) and her THC level was 113 ng/ml. She was drunk on vodka and high on marijuana and she had 5 kids in the car with her. Those are the facts and they can't be disputed.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Actually you are incorrect about this.....yes pot can stay in your system for 30 days and yes it was mentioned that she liked to have some before bed from time to time, but it was ALSO mentioned in the documentary that the levels of THC in her system showed that it had been 15 to 30 minutes before her death that she was in fact smoking it. The fact that she had consumed the equivalent of 10 drinks in about 45 minutes would have advanced and intensified the effects of the pot.

You know I watched the same doc and did not hear or see that ... about the pot being smoked
    at that time... will have to research that...

I "researched" it for you Pandora(I DVR'd it). At around the 1 hr, 5 minute mark is where you want to start watching it(the part where they're at the lab). Ms. Schuler's THC level was 113 ng/ml, which is "very high". They were able to tell, based on research, that she could have smoked the marijuana anywhere from 15 min to an hour before the accident - this came from Betsy Spratt, Director of Toxicology, Westchester County. It`s right there in the documentary, so I don`t know how you "did not see or hear that."

They also said that because she had consumed the equivalent of 10 shots of vodka a short time before she crashed, this exacerbated the effects of the marijuana because ethanol increases the absorption of THC.

The fact that she was drunk and high is not in dispute. You can't argue with the toxicology results. There is no conspiracy here. Maybe something else was going on? Maybe she was in pain because of her tooth and it was driving her crazy and she wasn't in her right frame of mind - That doesn't change the fact that her blood-alcohol level was .19% (which is more than twice the legal limit) and her THC level was 113 ng/ml. She was drunk on vodka and high on marijuana and she had 5 kids in the car with her. Those are the facts and they can't be disputed.

That was so kind of you... thoughful... I bet it was my Lucy... she comes to me for some petting
    can't resist ... most can't ;) she is lovely and sweet and always a welcome distraction. :D

I go back to the wonderful woman Diane was and that she was not a drinker nor a drug addict.

The extenuating circumstances is why they did the documentary and yes thats what I feel, that
    those circumstances.... the tooth, pain, fever, brain event and delirium, caused her to be so ill she was not thinking in her normal rational self.... which would never risk a carful of children...
    all family and friends support that, she wouldn't have done this if she were her normal self.

I hope more facts can be recovered to support this for the sake of her memory,
    the rest of the family, but most especially her son... he will face a lot of hurt in the future by people who assume and judge without knowing his mother.
  • pandora wrote:

That was so kind of you... thoughful... I bet it was my Lucy... she comes to me for some petting
    can't resist ... most can't ;) she is lovely and sweet and always a welcome distraction. :D

I go back to the wonderful woman Diane was and that she was not a drinker nor a drug addict.

The extenuating circumstances is why they did the documentary and yes thats what I feel, that
    those circumstances.... the tooth, pain, fever, brain event and delirium, caused her to be so ill she was not thinking in her normal rational self.... which would never risk a carful of children...
    all family and friends support that, she wouldn't have done this if she were her normal self.

the rest of the family, but most especially her son... he will face a lot of hurt in the future by people who assume and judge without knowing his mother.

Maybe before posting your opinions in a thread like this you should at least have your facts straight. You admit that you weren't always paying attention to the documentary because you were playing with your dog, and yet you have such a strong opinion of this woman and don't believe the evidence. I think it's only fair to the victims and the OP of this thread that you at least know something about what you're talking about before you blindly defend a drunk driver that killed 8 people, including 5 children.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    Like I pointed out earlier, if trucker looking hubby did this

Case closed... He's a monster

Showing pics of Diane during better times is a ploy

Doesn't have any bearing on what occured
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I just read all the posts in this thread - my husband and I saw the documentary this week. It was very disturbing. I can't quite wrap my head around her drinking so much and smoking pot and driving - especially with children in the car. But I don't doubt the toxicology reports. Clearly there's stuff we don't know - everybody talked about Diane's control issues. And I didn't think the husband felt 100% truthful. That's just my opinion.

A very sad story.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    pandora wrote:

Maybe before posting your opinions in a thread like this you should at least have your facts straight. You admit that you weren't always paying attention to the documentary because you were playing with your dog, and yet you have such a strong opinion of this woman and don't believe the evidence. I think it's only fair to the victims and the OP of this thread that you at least know something about what you're talking about before you blindly defend a drunk driver that killed 8 people, including 5 children.

Take it easy buddy. You need to calm down a little bit here. Everybody has a right to their opinion, eveerybody's opinion is not going to be 100% like any body elses ever. . Mrs. Pandora's obviously not coming from a blind and factless place regarding her opinion on this, so your post looks off target especially and out-of-place harsh. Rules of the board. "be nice" and PJ is 100% big on respect. I always found you to be a kind poster.
  • Dang Dang wrote:
    Take it easy buddy. You need to calm down a little bit here. Everybody has a right to their opinion, eveerybody's opinion is not going to be 100% like any body elses ever. . Mrs. Pandora's obviously not coming from a blind and factless place regarding her opinion on this, so your post looks off target especially and out-of-place harsh. Rules of the board. "be nice" and PJ is 100% big on respect. I always found you to be a kind poster.

I am calm. I simply stated that she missed important information from the documentary that we're discussing and that before she forms an opinion on the matter she should maybe watch the whole thing first. I know the rules, thanks. There has been no name calling or insults. My tone may have been direct and serious, but I'm not being mean or disrespectful - not to worry.

Edit: And by the way, I realise everyone is entitled to their own opinion; however, people should at least educate themselves on the subject before forming their opinions and debating with others.
    Dang Dang wrote:

I am calm. I simply stated that she missed important information from the documentary that we're discussing and that before she forms an opinion on the matter she should maybe watch the whole thing first. I know the rules, thanks. There has been no name calling or insults. My tone may have been direct and serious, but I'm not being mean or disrespectful - not to worry.

Edit: And by the way, I realise everyone is entitled to their own opinion; however, people should at least educate themselves on the subject before forming their opinions and debating with others.

I'm so sorry my Miss Lucy came for some lovin and I missed some info that would not have effected my opinion anyways. It may have been a minute at the most because I caught the rest.

My opinion rests on this woman who I have faith in.

I will always believe she was ill,
    not a person without care, not a person with an addiction,
    not a person who would make the decision early on a Sunday morning to get fucked up
    after breakfast and a 30 minute ride home with all the kids she loves in the car.
    Drive like a maniac and kill herself and almost all of them and 3 others.
    I do not think the facts support this.
    I will believe she was in the middle of a crisis.... a medical emergency.
    For me, the facts support this.
    And as I keep saying for her small son's sake I hope the additional facts
    will be found to support this and him through his life.

I'm sure you would want this for this boy and his family also.

sorry we disagree but perhaps next time we won't ... all we can hope for :D

:wave: hey Dang Dang hope your Saturday is awesome! :D
  • prljamgirlprljamgirl Posts: 602
    pandora wrote:
    No one will convince me she drank and drove on purpose after watching the doc

she was 30 minutes from home, it was morning

she was straight from all accounts until the headache came on

the headache caused by a brain event from a tooth abscess that caused delirium

another brain autopsy is required to clear her of the purposeful death of these children

it is an injustice to her, her husband and surviving child for people to blame her, ridicule,
    destroy her memory, that of a very loving, capable, accomplished, big spirited woman,
    who would do "anything for anyone".

The truth needs to be found so her boy can move through life with his mama in his heart.

NO ONE SAID IT WAS PURPOSEFUL!!!!!!!! I don't know where you are getting this info from....I haven't seen one person in this thread say it was on purpose. You actually talk as though you knew her personally or know her family or something......
    pandora wrote:

How much more condescending can you get, seriously? Can we not have any conversations in this pit as adults? There's not need for snarky replies like that....

pandora wrote:

HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???? Do you have any idea how many people out there are CLOSET drinkers and drug addicts?? I promise you there are is at least one person that you know personally that has a drug or alcohol problem and you have NO idea, because they are THAT good at hiding it.....
    Dang Dang wrote:

I think he was pretty calm actually....Pandora is refusing to acknowledge all the details of this story, yet spouts off her opinion. She can't seem to face the fact that Diane WAS drunk AND high at the time of the crash.....regardless of how it happened, intentional or not....the facts are the facts. I think TWTM is just getting frustrated with that because he actually seems to know the ins and outs of this story very well.
    pandora wrote:
    I'm so sorry my Miss Lucy came for some lovin and I missed some info that would not have effected my opinion anyways. It may have been a minute at the most because I caught the rest.

My opinion rests on this woman who I have faith in.

I will always believe she was ill,
    not a person without care, not a person with an addiction,
    not a person who would make the decision early on a Sunday morning to get fucked up
    after breakfast and a 30 minute ride home with all the kids she loves in the car.
    Drive like a maniac and kill herself and almost all of them and 3 others.
    I do not think the facts support this.
    I will believe she was in the middle of a crisis.... a medical emergency.
    For me, the facts support this.
    And as I keep saying for her small son's sake I hope the additional facts
    will be found to support this and him through his life.

I absolutely agree with you, if you look back to my initial posts in here I have always believed that she suffered a medical emergency....but she self-medicated with Vodka and pot, now whether or not that decision was made of sound mind or not, none of us will ever know. I just can't understand how you are only looking at one side of the facts and making your decision from that. I just don't understand people like that.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    Also

If it were a brain issue

How did she drive so far?? That "brain issue theory" would result in something happening quickly, not this crazy ride that a couple saw her stop at a rest stop after driving like a maniac....Then she got back on the highway
    prljamgirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

How much more condescending can you get, seriously? Can we not have any conversations in this pit as adults? There's not need for snarky replies like that....

pandora wrote:

HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???? Do you have any idea how many people out there are CLOSET drinkers and drug addicts?? I promise you there are is at least one person that you know personally that has a drug or alcohol problem and you have NO idea, because they are THAT good at hiding it.....
    Oh my, that was not meant to be at all like that but if you want to fight...
    I'm out ... don't want to be harsh like that ...not for me....
    someone else who may enjoy a good personal attack and argument

this my opinion and yes it comes from the heart as always

no need to challenge the way a person feels

just gonna say again...
    some people are assuming she is a bad person, an addict, a drunk and they don't know that either.

a clean record, a spotless person, an admired person by family friends and community,
    even the closest people to her say this is not her but those who don't know her so ready to judge. :?

some can not even give... just to say perhaps she was having,
    experiencing a terrible brain event that lead to this terrible tragedy.

now time for some awesome music! :D
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    I can't believe people would actually defend this idiot who killed so many innocent children because of her irresponsibility.

Pandora - You are coming off as an ignorant apologist. Sorry, but you are completely off base.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    I can't believe people would actually defend this idiot who killed so many innocent children because of her irresponsibility.

Pandora - You are coming off as an ignorant apologist. Sorry, but you are completely off base.
    won't engage when you insult ;)
  • MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
    I'll say something in summary.

I think some of us are missing the most pressing point here: 4 young girls were killed in an instant because of someone's actions. Yes, all of the deaths are tragic beyond words, and Diane Schuler's actions are certainly up for strong debate, but the 4 little girls are especially tragic.

It's my opinion and belief that there is no afterlife - no heaven or hell - and as the great Stephen Hawking says "it's a fairy story" and "there is nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time - like a computer."

So think about those 4 young girls that didn't get to experience most of the joy and years of life. It all went suddenly blank for them, for eternity.

Yes, we are all expressing our opinions on the matter, and the ferocity can be good, but getting mad at each other needs to be put aside for a bit. We are all alive, and hopefully we're all happy to be.
    pandora wrote:

won't engage when you insult ;)

It's not an insult, just an observation on how you are portraying yourself. But thanks for the condescension, as you have shown everyone else.

The fact that you are supporting and being an apologist for a drunk who killed children says a lot about your character. ;)

It's not an insult, just an observation on how you are portraying yourself. But thanks for the condescension, as you have shown everyone else.

The fact that you are supporting and being an apologist for a drunk who killed children says a lot about your character. ;)

Thank you!
    prljamgirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    No one will convince me she drank and drove on purpose after watching the doc

she was 30 minutes from home, it was morning

she was straight from all accounts until the headache came on

the headache caused by a brain event from a tooth abscess that caused delirium

another brain autopsy is required to clear her of the purposeful death of these children

it is an injustice to her, her husband and surviving child for people to blame her, ridicule,
    destroy her memory, that of a very loving, capable, accomplished, big spirited woman,
    who would do "anything for anyone".

The truth needs to be found so her boy can move through life with his mama in his heart.

NO ONE SAID IT WAS PURPOSEFUL!!!!!!!! I don't know where you are getting this info from....I haven't seen one person in this thread say it was on purpose. You actually talk as though you knew her personally or know her family or something......

Actually, one of the witnesses said it looked like Diane was on a mission to kill herself. She saw through the window that Diane was wide-eyed and clutching the steering wheel. That, coupled with the fact that the car did not swerve could easily make one think she was on a 'death-wish'.

Personally, I think she was stoned/drunk out of her mind, took the wrong exit north, when she should have gone south. She then tried to get back on the highway south (forget the highway number), but went the wrong way. Since she was so inebriated, she sped to get home, or off the highway to get back on the right way before getting arrested for DWI.

Her family comes off as deluded apologists who are grasping for straws to exonerate the memory of Diane, when in reality the facts cannot be disputed. I can understand her family, in the trauma they are dealing with, to defend her to the end. But, as a bystander, to defend her is repulsive.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so i watched this today...my conclusion is that she may have had a bad abscess that caused ungodly pain...and when pain like that occurs your though processes can become very muddled and bizarre...so i believe that she drank and possibly smoked to quell the pain and being the driven, perfectionist that she was, she didn't think twice about driving

however, the facts are this...she was drunk...really drunk and probably high...her husband and s-i-l need to let this go...no amount of tests will reveal what was going on in her head at that time

and she very well could have been an alcoholic...her personality suggests it's possible
    prljamgirl wrote:
    I think it was some type of brain thing too. I remember hearing that it is possible for someone to test positive for alcohol in the system after death - I can't remember what the scientific reasoning behind it was, but that it is possible and that doesn't mean the person had been drinking.

And the fact that those who saw her in the hours prior said she did not appear intoxicated, it doesn't add up.

It most definitely was some sort of brain thing.....she had a severely absessed tooth and most likely had a very high fever due to the infection. She stopped several times to get sick (which a high fever can do) and also stopped to get pain medication at a gas station (which they didn't have in stock), so she decided that she needed to do whatever she possibly could do to make the pain stop....and that meant taking a couple of drinks from that bottle of vodka. With a severe infection (which could have crept into her brain) and an extremely high fever, the effect of a small amount of alcohol and the pot she smoked would have been incredibly intensified and VERY QUICKLY have affected her and she likely drank more and more until she was in a complete delerium. There's a chance that she was so far into a delerious state that she didn't even a know those kids were even inthe vehicle with her.

But I've researched this online and 99.99% of the time, if your toxicology reports say there is alcohol in your system, then there is alcohol in your system. There are a very small handful of medications out there that can alter that blood test, but that is it. And she wasn't taking any of those medications.
    So we agree then :? prljamgirl :?

my point was she did not purposely drink and drive as some are contending...
    that she was a horrible person a drunk and drug addict.

As I mentioned already before I watched I thought she was the same but after no.

And calling someone ignorant is a terrible insult!
    Some just can not give an opinion of their own without attempting to hurt another.
    They must try to put someone down ... it is their nature I guess... how they give an opinion.
    It is personal and totally unnecessary and if you think it is condescending to say I will not engage
    take a look at the rules of the forum.
    I'd rather not get into a name calling session and get called out by the mods.

It takes two to tango and two get banned ... I like my home away from home too much to risk that.

I'm not to proud to backdown. I'm also comfortable with who I am.
    pandora wrote:
    Some just can not give an opinion of their own without attempting to hurt another.
    They must try to put someone down ... it is their nature I guess... how they give an opinion.
    It is personal and totally unnecessary and if you think it is condescending to say I will not engage

It takes two to tango and two get banned ... I like my home away from home too much to risk that.

I didn't call you an ignorant person. I don't know you. I said you are coming off as ignorant. Ignorance means lacking knowledge or information on a subject. I'm not going to back down from saying that is how you have come off on this topic. You can have your opinion, and I can say that it is an ignorant opinion.

I usually wouldn't take the time to call someone out like that, but I get worked up when I see someone defending a drunk driver who killed innocent children. If making me out to be the bad guy helps you feel better about yourself and your position, so be it.
    pandora wrote:

I didn't call you an ignorant person. I don't know you. I said you are coming off as ignorant. Ignorance means lacking knowledge or information on a subject. I'm not going to back down from saying that is how you have come off on this topic. You can have your opinion, and I can say that it is an ignorant opinion.

I usually wouldn't take the time to call someone out like that, but I get worked up when I see someone defending a drunk driver who killed innocent children. If making me out to be the bad guy helps you feel better about yourself and your position, so be it.
    As I said I feel just right about myself and my opinion... I understand she was ill and not evil bad person.

Have a good day! :D
    pandora wrote:

my point was she did not purposely drink and drive as some are contending...
    that she was a horrible person a drunk and drug addict.

As I mentioned already before I watched I thought she was the same but after no.

How can she NOT have drank on purpose? :? They found a bottle of Absolut in the car. They found THC in her system. You don't think she had to be somewhat coherent get the bottle out, get the weed out and ingest it? She wouldn't be able to if she was so incapacitated as you think she was. Also, the argument that some incredibly painful toothace caused her to turn into some kind of mind-controlled zombie, leading her to drink and smoke is just preposterous fiction. You may as well say aliens came and forced her to do a keg stand. :roll:

The facts are indisputable. The substances in her system have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, multiple times. You do not know whether or not she was an alcoholic. We do know she smoked weed, and you can easily see her family was trying to cover that up. There is probably a lot more to her that we don't know. Just by looking at her and her husband, they look like drinkers. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a lot more than just '1 drink a month' as the husband tried to tell us.

The family obviously are having a difficult time coming to terms with this. They don't want the memory of Diane to be that of a monster. Sure, she may have been a good person, but what she did to kill those innocent children and other motorists, is beyond despicable.
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

As I said I feel just right about myself and my opinion... I understand she was ill and not evil bad person.

Have a good day! :D

How was she ill? Because she had a toothache (supposedly)? There was no evidence of a stroke or any other brain 'event'. If she was so delirious before drinking and smoking, then why was her driving so precise, as witnesses stated? I think there is a lot to the story that the husband is not admitting. Maybe problems with the marriage, substance abuse problems or something else. Now he is trying to rationalize it all away.

After watching the documentary again, I think there is a chance that she was on a suicide mission and chose to go out high as a kite.
    Just by looking at her and her husband, they look like drinkers.
    shaking_head.gif
    I think there is a chance that she was on a suicide mission and chose to go out high as a kite.
    :wtf: alrighty then spread another rumor :?
    pandora wrote:
    I think there is a chance that she was on a suicide mission and chose to go out high as a kite.
    :wtf: alrighty then spread another rumor :?

Well one of the witnesses said that. If you watched the documentary and paid attention, you would remember that. The fact that she was driving in control and at high speeds doesn't negate that as a possibility, does it? It is no less valid than saying she was delirious and somehow forced to drink. That is even less plausible or logical.
    pandora wrote:
    Just by looking at her and her husband, they look like drinkers.
    shaking_head.gif

Overweight with unhealthy looking skin and thick necks like that are good physical markers. But why debate it when you can just throw in a head-smacking emoticon?
This discussion has been closed.