There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Just watched it on HBO. If you want a strong dose of depression for a couple hours, watch it. Ugh. I remember when this happened, and all the hoopla surrounding the woman and how and why she did what she did.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/theres-something-wrong-with-aunt-diane/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Hello.

I am Aunt Diane.

:(
  • I watched this tonight and I can't stop thinking about it.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • prljamgirlprljamgirl Posts: 602
    I watched this tonight and I can't stop thinking about it.

He's not kidding, he couldn't stop thinking about it last night. It was a really intriguing documentary though....unfortunately no one WILL ever know the truth about what happened to her.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    MSnider44 wrote:

Is this a sad sequel to There's Something About Mary?

(having no idea about what the "Aunt Diane" movie is about, I feel ok to joke about the title... until I find out, that is)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    CJMST3K wrote:
    MSnider44 wrote:

Is this a sad sequel to There's Something About Mary?

(having no idea about what the "Aunt Diane" movie is about, I feel ok to joke about the title... until I find out, that is)

Yeaaaaaaah you might not want to joke about it. Obviously you're not doing anything wrong not knowing what the story is, but it's the story of the woman in NY who drove down the freeway the wrong way and killed 7 people I think - most of them children. They say she was drunk, but her family disputes that. I didn't the see the doc but from what I understand, a lot what happened doesn't make any sense.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Yeaaaaaaah you might not want to joke about it. Obviously you're not doing anything wrong not knowing what the story is, but it's the story of the woman in NY who drove down the freeway the wrong way and killed 7 people I think - most of them children. They say she was drunk, but her family disputes that. I didn't the see the doc but from what I understand, a lot what happened doesn't make any sense.

Oh yeah. I remember that news story from like 4 years ago. Poor kids.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I watched this awhile back. I recommend it and
    if you have already formed a opinion about her you may change your mind.

I was left feeling injustice for her and believe she had a brain episode of
    some sort. I believe the local authorities jumped to a conclusion,
    I felt the lawyer for the family suspicious as was the behavior of his investigator.
    Something was not kosher there.

She reminded me so much of my sister-in-law who is an absolute saint so
    that possibly swayed me a little but she seemed like a wonderful woman and
    I do believe something happened. She would never risk those kids.
    As far as pot in her system that stays for 30 days and it was mentioned she liked to
    have a little before bed.

It was a short drive to her home after the camping weekend with hubby and all the kids.
    Yet it took her about 3 hours after a McDonalds play breakfast stop.

The witnesses wished at the rest stop they would have gone over to see her.
    She was driving erradic and pulled over and threw up.

I cried for her, for all the victims... it is very moving and I hope that her husband
    can have her body exhumed to see if the festering tooth abscess caused brain delirium.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    She was hammered, all the EVIDENCE lays it out

Good people do stupid things. At 1st, In the Doc the family insisted she never smoked weed. Than that Tune changed as we got to the end as occasional puffing

I would feel the same if a family member did this....DENIAL....but to put the victims family(3 other guys) thru the Lies

WRONG

Drunk drivers are idiots
    Her family doesn't want the truth...They want whats pleasing to their ears

Again Sad...But come to grips
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I think it was some type of brain thing too. I remember hearing that it is possible for someone to test positive for alcohol in the system after death - I can't remember what the scientific reasoning behind it was, but that it is possible and that doesn't mean the person had been drinking.

And the fact that those who saw her in the hours prior said she did not appear intoxicated, it doesn't add up.

It sounds as though it may have a massive migraine and the pain may have just made her lose it and not be able to think clearly.

It's a very tragic story and one we'll never know the answer to I suppose.
    pandora wrote:

As far as pot in her system that stays for 30 days and it was mentioned she liked to

Actually you are incorrect about this.....yes pot can stay in your system for 30 days and yes it was mentioned that she liked to have some before bed from time to time, but it was ALSO mentioned in the documentary that the levels of THC in her system showed that it had been 15 to 30 minutes before her death that she was in fact smoking it. The fact that she had consumed the equivalent of 10 drinks in about 45 minutes would have advanced and intensified the effects of the pot.
    prljamgirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Actually you are incorrect about this.....yes pot can stay in your system for 30 days and yes it was mentioned that she liked to have some before bed from time to time, but it was ALSO mentioned in the documentary that he levels of THC in her system showed that it had been 15 to 30 minutes before her death that she was in fact smoking it. The fact that she had consumed the equivalent of 10 drinks in about 45 minutes would have advanced and intensified the effects of the pot.

The real question is...If the father had done this under the same circumstances, would anyone question the evidence?Time after time says the answer is no. Just like how we vote for presidents, and convict people....APPEARANCE/IMAGE is everything. She was a loving mother in the photos, the Dad is this big...could be percieved as a lil scary looking.

Just like the Jury letting Casey off... I know the prosecution wasnt the strongest. People do get convicted on less

Women arent looked as as being evil/bad/stupid as much as us guys

Fact
  • Pathology laboratories are under pretty strict regulations from their certifying organizations. Botched toxicology tests can cost their accreditations, costing hospitals or labs millions in lost revenue/year.

As much as I would like to have a heart, and look at the human side of this story, science rarely is wrong. Not only did she have a .19 BAC, there was liquid in her gut that hadn't been metabolized yet.

Poor decisions were made, lives were lost. Tragic.
    I think it was some type of brain thing too. I remember hearing that it is possible for someone to test positive for alcohol in the system after death - I can't remember what the scientific reasoning behind it was, but that it is possible and that doesn't mean the person had been drinking.

And the fact that those who saw her in the hours prior said she did not appear intoxicated, it doesn't add up.

It most definitely was some sort of brain thing.....she had a severely absessed tooth and most likely had a very high fever due to the infection. She stopped several times to get sick (which a high fever can do) and also stopped to get pain medication at a gas station (which they didn't have in stock), so she decided that she needed to do whatever she possibly could do to make the pain stop....and that meant taking a couple of drinks from that bottle of vodka. With a severe infection (which could have crept into her brain) and an extremely high fever, the effect of a small amount of alcohol and the pot she smoked would have been incredibly intensified and VERY QUICKLY have affected her and she likely drank more and more until she was in a complete delerium. There's a chance that she was so far into a delerious state that she didn't even a know those kids were even inthe vehicle with her.

But I've researched this online and 99.99% of the time, if your toxicology reports say there is alcohol in your system, then there is alcohol in your system. There are a very small handful of medications out there that can alter that blood test, but that is it. And she wasn't taking any of those medications.
    prljamgirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Actually you are incorrect about this.....yes pot can stay in your system for 30 days and yes it was mentioned that she liked to have some before bed from time to time, but it was ALSO mentioned in the documentary that the levels of THC in her system showed that it had been 15 to 30 minutes before her death that she was in fact smoking it. The fact that she had consumed the equivalent of 10 drinks in about 45 minutes would have advanced and intensified the effects of the pot.
    You know I watched the same doc and did not hear or see that ... about the pot being smoked
    at that time... will have to research that... maybe doggie hug break and I missed it :D

I did hear the intensified effects of pot if consumed after and while drinking
    and I can testify to that from experience ;)

still would like to have the tests run again for the husband and surviving child's sake

just me I had a really bad feeling about the officials in the doc too

the toxicology came back quick... they jumped on it and then the full autopsy arrives after she is crucified.

Smells like a lawsuit could have been trying to be avoided. Why were the records never provided either... lawyer and investigator hiding something or maybe I'll rub your back you rub mine with the officials

fishy stuff perhaps ... but my nature is to question and leans always toward conspiracy :lol:
  • How can people make excuses for this woman? All she had to do was pull over and call for help. Her brother spoke to her on the phone the last time she was pulled over and told her to wait and that he was on his way. He could have been there in minutes. So she gets back in the van with the kids and tore up the highway in the
    wrong direction. People were swerving out of the way, honking their horns and she just kept going straight down the road at a high rate of speed. I don't get it?? Something's missing.
    do we think if it was botched they wouldn't fess up cause they would lose accreditation?
    would they attempt to hide anything?

everyone already assumed from the accident itself, the on site witnesses, the bottle
    this before they investigated more thoroughly other witnesses, video cameras, phone calls etc.

to me it doesn't add up unless the abscess was causing a brain delirium... she did attempt to get pain meds
    looking perfectly straight as she did so to witnesses
    and had an excruciating headache and couldn't see well.
    This she told the children just into the car ride and they told their parents by phone.

It would be out of character for her to drink and drive... even the family of the three girls felt this.

they suggested delirium could have caused her to drink the vodka ... not even knowing what it was.
    Point is she did not purposely drink and drive.
    Brain delirium causes people to do unexplainable things...crazy things

seemed to me, I felt if in her situation, I would be trying to run from the pain and confusion...
    trying desperatly to get home
    and in the end it was like she was on auto pilot

I was the same age as she... having much dental work done 20 years ago...
    had a horrible abscess, it is like nerve pain you can not believe.

The kind of pain you can't let go and her's was causing a brain event, I never even had
    a headache with mine, can't imagine adding that.
  • pandora wrote:
    do we think if it was botched they wouldn't fess up cause they would lose accreditation?

Path labs cannot just hide things. Each patient is assigned a case number, that number is put on every piece of tissue removed from your body and recorded in series(usually with barcode scanners). The same number is then put on every slide and recorded in series. You cannot be missing slides 210-235 in a patient case, it just doesn't work that way.

Also, when techs are working in the lab, it is rare they know that the tissue they are processing belonged to a high profile case, celebrity, homeless person etc. Obstruction and cover ups just aren't realistic.

She may have been a good mother, but so are a lot of addicts.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Yes, BAC tests do not lie..this family can't deal with the fact this woman was drunk and high but those are the facts of the case.
  • Pandora sounds like a defense lawyer! Lol
    No one will convince me she drank and drove on purpose after watching the doc

she was 30 minutes from home, it was morning

she was straight from all accounts until the headache came on

the headache caused by a brain event from a tooth abscess that caused delirium

another brain autopsy is required to clear her of the purposeful death of these children

it is an injustice to her, her husband and surviving child for people to blame her, ridicule,
    destroy her memory, that of a very loving, capable, accomplished, big spirited woman,
    who would do "anything for anyone".

The truth needs to be found so her boy can move through life with his mama in his heart.
    if i have a headache, i dont pound vodka and smokeup...esp if im driving with kids in the car
    pandora wrote:

Path labs cannot just hide things. Each patient is assigned a case number, that number is put on every piece of tissue removed from your body and recorded in series(usually with barcode scanners). The same number is then put on every slide and recorded in series. You cannot be missing slides 210-235 in a patient case, it just doesn't work that way.

Also, when techs are working in the lab, it is rare they know that the tissue they are processing belonged to a high profile case, celebrity, homeless person etc. Obstruction and cover ups just aren't realistic.

She may have been a good mother, but so are a lot of addicts.
    no sign of any addiction in her life at all from anyone ... many were interviewed

she was the bread winner of the home making 6 figures running a division of a corp,
    admired by community, coworkers, school, church, family, friends.

Medical records were released no sign of medication abuse or substance abuse.

Assuming someone is an addict from a blood test is a jump.

But any who...
    I really recommend the documentary... but keep a box of kleenix near by

it was a senseless tragedy as it stands
    but I know her family needs to make sense out of this because this was not the womans character,
    this was just not Diane.

I wish then luck on their quest and hope they find some peace and resolve.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    if i have a headache, i dont pound vodka and smokeup...esp if im driving with kids in the car
    Delirium....
    Pandora sounds like a defense lawyer! Lol
    I'd much rather be a prosecutor ;)
    pandora wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Delirium....

That's a huge stretch

Can you site a similar case? I can site dozens of drunks doing this
    pandora wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Delirium....

if you had 10 shots of vodka in you, you'd be delirious too
    This the point of the doc... do they do docs on the DUI cases some are speaking of
    no

this one unique because of the person she was, how the event unfolded
    and the fact that, as a previous poster stated, there were other health issues going on

the abscess would have produced a high fever, delerium, extreme pain, vision problems, confusion
    and a rapidly decreasing sense of reality.

did she purposely drink and drive?... this what the doc is about

I feel she did not... I'm not sure if everyone here watched the doc but before I did
    I assumed she had a bad drinking problem.

Now I do not and want the memory of her spared.
This discussion has been closed.