Who's the most famous person you have met?

Comments

• John McCain and Snooki

That is awesome - they should be forced to live together for a month on TV, like that Big Brother crap on CBS.

That could be the Jeopardy Final Jeopardy question for the day:

Alex Trabek:
    2 People who should be projected into outer space and never reclaimed. They may be best known for saying dumb things...and both do have odd physical appearances.

Contestant:
    Who are John McCain and Snooki Whatshername from The Jersey Shore.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    Reggie White stepped on my foot once... BJ Armstrong. Chris Jackie.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,788
    Reggie White stepped on my foot once... BJ Armstrong. Chris Jackie.
    It reminds of Matt Berninger (The National) stepping on my hand (front row) and I also made handshake with Scott Avett (The Avett Brothers) (front row) and Eugene Hutz (Gogol Bordello) (front row).
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    KM43590 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    KM43590 wrote:
    I met Mike Schmidt once. Also all the members of Reel Big Fish, Jill Sobule (the original "I Kissed a Girl" singer), and the members of the band Train... Wait are any of these people actually famous? :lol: Oh, and Will Oldham walked by me once! AND... Kelly Ripa is from my hometown, but I never met her.

Your Wil Oldham comment made me remember I once literraly bumped into Matthew Broderick walking through Times Square. We both said excuse me to each other and then like an idiot I turned around as he was walking away and yelled to him "another day off Ferris"? He turned and shot the "I've never heard that one before" look! :lol:

HAHA! That's great... it reminds me of being at a Pearl Jam show in Atlantic City, '05. I was front row/stage left and Bob Saget was next to me, I put out my hand for a handshake, and he snubbed me, so I yelled (over the music) THANKS DANNY TANNER!!! HA! :lol:

:lol::lol:
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,707
    Paul Westerberg after his show at Great American Music Hall in S.F., February 21, 2005. This was the third show of his, to date, last tour. The first show (Vancouver, B.C.) was dubbed "a warm up", the second (Seattle, WA) "a classic" and the third in S.F., "a train wreck". P.W. had equipment problems, smashed all to hell a beautiful double cutaway reddish-brown Les Paul resulting in a cut on his head. Personally, I had a great time!

After the show, Paul was very tired yet very gracious to have us line up at his bus for words and autographs. As we started talking, Keith Richards'/Stones' "Happy" started playing somewhere on the bus. Paul said over his shoulder, "Can you turn that up?!" I said, "Keith!" and Paul said, "I love Keith Richards!" I told Paul that my wife and I love his song, "Born For Me". He said, "That's one on the best songs I ever wrote", and he signed my copy of Suicaine Gratifaction, "Born For Me, Paul Westerberg".

A night I'll always remember!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I'll give one from each of the famous fields

Ted Williams - At Fenway Park in 1991. Got his Autograph.

Bill Clinton (and Hillary) - on Martha's Vineyard. Watched his weekly Radio Address to the nation then he met and greet(ed) the people. Got his autograph and the next morning I was on the front page of the Cape Cod Times with him.

Beck - My buddy and I got pulled up on stage with him at the Knitting Factory. He showed me how to play the shaker. (not that I needed much help, but he gave me the rythm)

George R.R. Martin - At the airport last year. Conversed with him a while as we waited for our flight. He signed an autograph for my friends mom.

Bobby Orr - a couple times growing up in the Boston area.

Others - Bill Walton, Jerry Seinfeld, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Rickey Henderson, Ken Griffey Jr.

Sammy Sosa, Heather Locklear, Al Gore, The other two guys from REM, not stipe.

Wade Boggs, Pee Wee Reese, Johnny Mize, Bob Feller, Stan Musial, and more Baseball Hall of famers.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    edited July 2011
    Mike McCready :D , Willem Dafoe and Samuel L. Jackson:

Mike after the Tres Mts. concert in NYC. To have someone who's music mean so much to you turn out to be the nicest guy was mindblowing and the very most cool :)

Samuel L. Jackson was filming a movie in the courthouse my mom was working at at the time. Got to go in and watch them film a scene, then met him and the director of the movie (I think it was called Changing Lanes). He told me that people named Sam were cool :D

Willem Dafoe was a weird but awesome one- my mom, sister and I have some random older relatives in Buenos Aires, Argentina and decided to visit them and make a little vacation out of it. The relative is my grandma's first cousin and her husband, so they're an older couple. They took us to all the non-touristy, authentic places, including this tango show that was basically at this club that looked like a converted gymnasium. It was about 2 AM and we look over at the table next to ours and my mom whispers to me, 'That looks a LOT like Willem Dafoe'-- turns out it was! How does that happen?! haha we went over to him and shook his hand and had a brief conversation. My mom said, 'Are you Willem Dafoe' and he answered, 'I think so!' :lol: Very nice guy!

Also have shaken hands with Eddie Vedder and Dave Matthews before, both amazing moments!
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    i almost forgot ...when the superbowl was in Jacksonville a few years back, my buddy and I were able to get into the Maxim Superbowl party. I was drunk as shit, and my buddy swore I spent 20 minutes trying to sell Warren Moon real estate in the area :lol: (I'm no real estate agent, nor do I know shit about it, nor do I have any property to sell). Also talked with Eli Manning and a couple other athletes I cant remember.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Doug Flutie. He played golf at a place where I was the cashier in Paramus, NJ. At that time he played for the New Jersey Generals owned by Donald Trump.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    John McCain and Snooki

That is awesome - they should be forced to live together for a month on TV, like that Big Brother crap on CBS.

That could be the Jeopardy Final Jeopardy question for the day:

Alex Trabek:
    2 People who should be projected into outer space and never reclaimed. They may be best known for saying dumb things...and both do have odd physical appearances.

Contestant:
    Who are John McCain and Snooki Whatshername from The Jersey Shore.

ha ha, well said. I met McCain before he became Neo-Con extraordinaire, which really wasn't all that long ago. He came to speak at my college in 2000 or 2001. Nice guy, he shook my hand and signed something for me. Years later he started singing a much different tune.

Snooki dated my drummer for a good few years. For anyone who thinks she's acting, I can assure you that she's definitely NOT. ha ha.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    George Steinbrenner. Yup, this Red Sox fan extended his hand and chatted with the boss in a luxury box at Fenway park about 10-12 years ago. Respect.

Other than that ... the only other cool one was drinking with Coldplay in a Bar in Boston on their night off. This was just after Yellow hit the charts. They were humble ... at the time at least. And indeed, they were not shy of the drink.

Plenty of handshakes in Vegas .. Schwarzenegger, Craig Kilborn (tall mother fucker!), Penn Gilette (got a feeling this isn't an exclusive club) ... and even play cards with Carrot Top ... :lol:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566

who cares were reading this one . let that thread now to come read this one also !!! :lol::lol:
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Mike McCready
    The Maestro himself
    At the Tres Mts show in Philly in March
    Even more Awesome as everyone says he is :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2011
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    The Smothers brothers! :lol:
    Saw Joe Jackson ay the post office last week.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Joe Dimaggio, Arnold Schwarznagger, Beyonce, came close to meeting Jordan, got Star Struck, froze like a deer in headlights.

You met Joe Dimaggio, Arnold Schwarznagger, and Beyonce, but froze like a deer in headlights when coming close to meeting a dumb essex girl with a paint-brush make-up job and a big stupid gob?

How? Why? What the holy F(^&((???
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Rolf Harris - "Can you tell what it is yet?'

and some fella who used to be in 'Home & Away'. I offered him a joint backstage at the Reading festival in 1996 and he politely declined. I got the impression he thought I was a drunk & stoned twat.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I met Pete Rose on a flight to see Pearl Jam in Philly 2009.

I purposefully sat near him in the airport terminal during a flight delay, and although I watched or listened to every Phillies games during 1980, I never once during the conversation acknowledged that I knew who he was , even though I joined his conversation by talking about the Phillies 8-) . (at the end I did however ask for his autograph)

He's a very good baseball player, but kind of a boorish personality, in my opinion.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Jokertt® wrote:

who cares were reading this one . let that thread now to come read this one also !!! :lol::lol:

:thumbup:
  • I've had a pint with John Martyn; Syd Barrett ran his bike over my foot accidentally once; and I was another time on a train carriage with Amy WInehouse. I must jinx them, because they're all dead now. :lol:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Trent Reznor
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Matt Damon
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Stephen King. Lives in Bangor, ME and my friends dad used to be his attorney. Really down to earth guy.

Even sat in his seats at Fenway Park a few times.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Tom Seaver
    Christopher Reeve (pre-accident)
    Perry Farrell
    Doc Severinsen
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    I've met a fair amount of musicians, tough to say who's the most famous...I guess it would be either Robert Plant, Bono or Bruce Springsteen...each was probably considered more famous than the others at different times over the past few decades.

Met Plant backstage after winning a radio station contest. Here's a photo of me with him...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa10 ... 009002.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    jimed14 wrote:
    Penn Gilette (got a feeling this isn't an exclusive club) ...
    Penn seems to enjoy socializing.
    I've seen Penn & Teller a couple of times and they always meet folks in the lobby (or in the alley out front in the case of the Orpheum) after the show....Penn enjoyed engaging in conversation...very interesting guy.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith at a Sixers game - very cool dude and she was tiny.
    Jimmy Fallon in a NYC elevator - I was hammered but he talked with us, seemed like a pretty normal guy
    Shannon Elizabeth - in a Poker room meet and greet. she didn't look all that hot.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Miss Lisa :D

she's awesomely sweet and tough at the same time
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    Damien Jurado.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Poncier wrote:
    I've met a fair amount of musicians, tough to say who's the most famous...I guess it would be either Robert Plant, Bono or Bruce Springsteen...each was probably considered more famous than the others at different times over the past few decades.

Met Plant backstage after winning a radio station contest. Here's a photo of me with him...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa10 ... 009002.jpg
    That's awesome! I can't believe you met three music legends.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful