RIP Q101 - Chicago's Alternative Station

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    81 wrote:
    i'll give it a whirl tonight. i might have heard it once before but it didn't make the preset list.

Yeah, I prefer that over the loop. You won't hear all that bullshit like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc...
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

i've got 6 spots, and the last three are pretty useless. time to spin the dial and find something that isn't spanish. :lol: i hope 101 comes back on a new station. it wasn't the best around, but it was solid enough to listen to during the lunch hour.

Can you pick up any of the college stations in your neck of the woods?

WZRD (88.3) - NEIU
    WLUW (88.7) - Loyola
    WNUR (89.3) - Northwestern
    I grew up in Palatine and I had no problem picking up WNUR. I doubt the other two reach that far.

There's also 89.1 from a college in Aurora, Naperville, Lisle or somewhere in that area. And I think there's another college station broadcasting on 88.3 that plays rock.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JTH wrote:
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

i've got 6 spots, and the last three are pretty useless. time to spin the dial and find something that isn't spanish. :lol: i hope 101 comes back on a new station. it wasn't the best around, but it was solid enough to listen to during the lunch hour.

Can you pick up any of the college stations in your neck of the woods?

WZRD (88.3) - NEIU
    WLUW (88.7) - Loyola
    WNUR (89.3) - Northwestern
    I grew up in Palatine and I had no problem picking up WNUR. I doubt the other two reach that far.

There's also 89.1 from a college in Aurora, Naperville, Lisle or somewhere in that area. And I think there's another college station broadcasting on 88.3 that plays rock.

i think i grabbed something in the 88 range at lunch. i was searching for something to replace the Q. picked up something playing pink flyod but it had alot of static.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

No 97.1 for you?? I enjoy the drive...pretty solid station.

Agreed, that's probably my #1 station right now. I loved the Loop before they changed their format to 'All classics all the time', now it's the same songs over and over. Anyone know if they still do Getting the Led Out?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    81 wrote:

Wow. They want it to be geared towards females aged 25 - 55? Well I'm a 30 year old female and would MUCH prefer music. If I want talk radio I'll listen to the Score. :roll:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

No 97.1 for you?? I enjoy the drive...pretty solid station.

Agreed, that's probably my #1 station right now. I loved the Loop before they changed their format to 'All classics all the time', now it's the same songs over and over. Anyone know if they still do Getting the Led Out?

I think they still do it every night at 8. A couple of months ago I remembered to turn the loop on in my car at 8 pm and they played 4-5 Zeppelin songs in a row.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Wow. They want it to be geared towards females aged 25 - 55? Well I'm a 30 year old female and would MUCH prefer music. If I want talk radio I'll listen to the Score. :roll:

Yeah, when I read that they were aiming for women between 25-55, I was like :roll:
    I'm in that demographic, and I want Q101 back. If I wanted to listen to talk radio, I'd switch to AM radio.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    can someone explain to me what is going on with this station?

i thought it was going to be all-news but all i hear is nickelback :thumbdown:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    can someone explain to me what is going on with this station?

i thought it was going to be all-news but all i hear is nickelback :thumbdown:

it's in a transition phase. i think you are going to hear crap until they hire all their talent and get the new studio completed.

i flipped it on for a second today at lunch. not sure what they were playing, but it was aweful.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I just got this e-mail today. I replied back saying that it might be a little more effective if they included a link to their actual facebook page.

wanna get Q101 back on the radio?

Hi!

The bottom line is, "they" don't think WE matter....

Who are "they"? Please read this entire email.

"They" think they can make more money by reading news stories.
    "They" think people who listen to Alternative have no buying power.

"They" are the radio dinosaurs. They are the people in control…or are they?

What do you think?
    We think they're wrong!

The truth is, stations like Kiss and B face the same issue. But you know why those stations are still around?

Even though Kiss and B face the same prejudices from the dinosaurs controlling radio, they manage
    to stay alive…

Why is that?

The reason is simple. The audience for those stations is mobilized and active. Guess which stations in Chicago
    have the largest Facebook fan base, by a MILE.

Yep, B and Kiss. They each have over 100,000 fans. Q101 has 40,000. Most of the other stations in Chicago have less than 40,000.

So what does it all mean? If Q101 has 100,000 fans we'll get our alternative back on the radio?

Put it this way. IF we have 101,000 fans of Q101 on Facebook….think the chances are better?

Of course they are. Why? Because of what it means. It means the audience cares. It means the audience took time to click like. It means we can reach the audience. That's HUGE. If we can reach the audience, we can tell them where the new station is. If we can reach the audience, we can show advertisers WE MATTER.

Imagine what happens if we have 200,000 Facebook fans….without a radio signal. It tells the industry we have DOUBLE the power and reach of radio stations that bill $18 million a year.

Here's how we get to 101,000 fans...

About 20,000 people will open this email. Less will read it. It was sent to WAY more.
    Let's say 10,000 people read this. If you send a little note to your Facebook friends how many do you think will "like" Q101?

Think you can influence 6 "likes"?

Multiply that by 10,000. Boom. We're in the game.

Try it. I'm going to do it right now. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for your support!

Matt
    Co-Owner Q101

P.S. We know how the radio business works. We have a combined 30 years in the business, and while getting 101,000 Facebook fans doesn't guarantee anything, it will go a LONG way. There's a lot we're working on behind the scenes and when we put all the pieces together (with you) we can make BIG things happen. Tell your friends….tell your family. Share this stuff on Facebook and Twitter…and we'll do our part!
    :clap:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    God bless the guys who bought the rights to it, I hope they get it back on the air! :mrgreen:
    If they get enough Facebook likes, and if a ton of people listen online at Q101.com, who knows...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    I really need Q101 to be back on the air. All I have had to listen to in my car lately is XRT and sports talk radio.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,776
    7 years ago today we lost our main alt. radio station y100 :(

I've said this before I think it was for the better though. Now those guys have their own internet radio station, y-not radio (cheap plug).

Last song they played was Pearl Jam's Alive (which they also played for WDRE's last day and the first song they played when they were on the air as an internet radio station.

We now have radio 104.5 which i don't listen to cuz about 90% of the music they play i can hear on just about on any other rock station in philly (WMMR or XPN or like i sais y-not radio).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ-Cubs wrote:
    I really need Q101 to be back on the air. All I have had to listen to in my car lately is XRT and sports talk radio.

That's about all I listen too as well. I throw on the drive as well. Definitely need to get satellite radio.
    Merlin Media returned Modern Rock to the dial in Chicago last night, launching WKQX (Q 87.7) with the position "Underground. Alternative." An announcement on the station's new website (www.undergroundq.com) reads, "WKQX is back! You can now find it on 87.7FM. Go ahead...tell people that Alternative is back on the radio in Chicago - but don't let everybody know. If the wrong people find out, we could get shut down again. Here's the deal: older radios won't pick us up...so if someone has a radio that doesn't get 87.7FM, then they don't get it. It's like when someone calls you from their phone. WTF?!? "Dude…are you dying? Just send me a text!""

Merlin Chairman John Gehron said in a statement, "Q87.7 features a melodic, mainstream Alternative music mix designed to attract Chicagoland's young adult listeners. It concentrates heavily on music from the last 18 months by artists like Black Keys, Grouplove, Neon Trees, Mumford & Sons, Gotye and fun. Established core artists include Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Killers, Muse, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins."

As previously reported, 87.7 FM is a low power TV signal that can also be heard over the radio on the 87.7 frequency. Merlin recently entered an LMA agreement with Venture Technologies Group, LLC to program and sell advertising on the frequency.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Merlin Media returned Modern Rock to the dial in Chicago last night, launching WKQX (Q 87.7) with the position "Underground. Alternative." An announcement on the station's new website (http://www.undergroundq.com) reads, "WKQX is back! You can now find it on 87.7FM. Go ahead...tell people that Alternative is back on the radio in Chicago - but don't let everybody know. If the wrong people find out, we could get shut down again. Here's the deal: older radios won't pick us up...so if someone has a radio that doesn't get 87.7FM, then they don't get it. It's like when someone calls you from their phone. WTF?!? "Dude…are you dying? Just send me a text!""

Merlin Chairman John Gehron said in a statement, "Q87.7 features a melodic, mainstream Alternative music mix designed to attract Chicagoland's young adult listeners. It concentrates heavily on music from the last 18 months by artists like Black Keys, Grouplove, Neon Trees, Mumford & Sons, Gotye and fun. Established core artists include Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Killers, Muse, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins."

As previously reported, 87.7 FM is a low power TV signal that can also be heard over the radio on the 87.7 frequency. Merlin recently entered an LMA agreement with Venture Technologies Group, LLC to program and sell advertising on the frequency.

Radio in my car doesn't get 87.7. :fp:
    81 wrote:
    Merlin Media returned Modern Rock to the dial in Chicago last night, launching WKQX (Q 87.7) with the position "Underground. Alternative." An announcement on the station's new website (http://www.undergroundq.com) reads, "WKQX is back! You can now find it on 87.7FM. Go ahead...tell people that Alternative is back on the radio in Chicago - but don't let everybody know. If the wrong people find out, we could get shut down again. Here's the deal: older radios won't pick us up...so if someone has a radio that doesn't get 87.7FM, then they don't get it. It's like when someone calls you from their phone. WTF?!? "Dude…are you dying? Just send me a text!""

This. is. fucking. awesome.
    81 wrote:

Radio in my car doesn't get 87.7. :fp:

Crutchfield.com

I like alpine
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Crutchfield.com

I like alpine

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD138BT ... erview-tab

sexy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Crutchfield.com

I like alpine

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD138BT ... erview-tab

sexy

Ehhh. My car prob has another year left in it, so I won't be upgrading my radio anytime soon.
    Ehhh. My car prob has another year left in it, so I won't be upgrading my radio anytime soon.

you can always pull it and put it in the new ride. :P

i don't know what car you have or what the stereo looks like, but like you can't watch anything non HD, i can't listen to a crap car stereo any more. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    anybody else check it out yet? i've listened to the new station a little and so far, i'm not overly impressed. hopefully they get into a better grove with the music selections

i wonder...

do stations have to pay record label's a royaltie when they play songs?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you can always pull it and put it in the new ride. :P

i don't know what car you have or what the stereo looks like, but like you can't watch anything non HD, i can't listen to a crap car stereo any more. :lol:

Touche.

I'm guessing the new station will have an app to stream it, so I can play that through my iphone adapter thing.
    I'm guessing the new station will have an app to stream it, so I can play that through my iphone adapter thing.

never thought about that....

i did like the bluetooth setup on the stereo i linked. being able to control pandora from the stereo would be pretty sweet, although i would guess the bit rate isn't very high.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Been listening to 87.7 all week - it's so good!! Better even than Q101!! YES!!
    Mamasan23 wrote:

i still listen to xrt more, but it sure is nice to have a second decent station to pick from
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

i still listen to xrt more, but it sure is nice to have a second decent station to pick from

Nice I'll have to check it out. I usually listen to xrt as well but im not sure if something's changed... im hearing too much crap lately..sounds like a light rock...Christian rock station
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Nice I'll have to check it out. I usually listen to xrt as well but im not sure if something's changed... im hearing too much crap lately..sounds like a light rock...Christian rock station

i've noticed that too. not the christian so much, but stuff like bonnie rait. that's when i go surfing
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

They play a lot of awesome new stuff like Black Keys and Mumford and MGMT but also tons of great tunes from the 90's...just heard a little Candlebox on my lunch. :thumbup: