RIP Q101 - Chicago's Alternative Station

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I just heard that Q101 (an FM station) is changing formats- it's going to be an All-News station.

This is bittersweet for me. Lately, they've played music that "sounds like...tastes like a popsicle shoved up someones ass"- Ed's Quote about Good Charlotte.

However, back in the day they played great music: STP, Nirvana, Hole and of course, Pearl Jam.

They will be missed by many here in Chicago.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    wow...

i barely listen to them. they are killing the radio station's in chicago.

used to listen to jack fm, and while it wasn't the best, every now and than you would find a decent song. now it completly blows, as will 101.

i also always thought Kat moon lighted as the last letter game chick. :lol:

if they kill of xrt, we are fucked for decent radio, unless you like latino radio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Yeah, I stopped listening to Q101 years ago because they kept playing the same crap over and over again, BUT they are really the last "alternative" station in Chicago, so it's sad.

If they kill of WXRT, I'm going to be pissed. It's the ONLY station I listen too.

Hopefully something new and better evolves from this, but besides XRT, Chicago radio SUCKS!

Too bad we don't have any independant stations. I LOVE YRock on XPN on iTunes radio. It's an independent Philly college radio station.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    funny story about electra:

she once played "once" at 1pm once afternoon...i texted her with "once at one, pearl jam is the best" and she said good catch and they rock....or something like that....

i dont see wxrt going anywhere...theyre the last rock station in town....and theyre the best by far.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i dont see wxrt going anywhere...theyre the last rock station in town....and theyre the best by far.

I think they have a pretty hard core base. They've been around for ages and have always played the same types of music.. It's great to hear some Pearl Jam rareities every now and then too.

They're also the only station that plays Indie music as far as I know.

I seriouly have XRT programed into like 4 of my 6 car stereo presets. :D
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,776
    Gob wrote:

Too bad we don't have any independant stations. I LOVE YRock on XPN on iTunes radio. It's an independent Philly college radio station.

actually y-rock on xpn is now XPN2 officially, but they are not the best indie philly radio station. Y-not radio is way better. Same guys that were in y-rock on xpn were let go last year and they formed their own radio called y-not radio. Long story/short first it was y100 then in '04 changed formats to a rap station, then y100rocks.com then y-rockonxpn now y-not radio. XPN 2 changed formats somewhat when the other guys left, i don't care for it as much.

Sorry about your station, been there done that in philly.

http://ynotradio.net/

http://xpn.org/xpn2/home
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Gob wrote:

actually y-rock on xpn is now XPN2 officially, but they are not the best indie philly radio station. Y-not radio is way better. Same guys that were in y-rock on xpn were let go last year and they formed their own radio called y-not radio. Long story/short first it was y100 then in '04 changed formats to a rap station, then y100rocks.com then y-rockonxpn now y-not radio. XPN 2 changed formats somewhat when the other guys left, i don't care for it as much.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check them out. Yrock has been a little hit or miss with me lately and maybe that explains it. Still love it because it introduces me to a lot of music I wouldn't normally hear.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    While I do not like the station itself, Q101 did play a good deal of music that I do like (as mentioned above).

It is a preset in my car for that reason.

They can have XRT when the pry from our cold, dead hands!
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i live in nyc and i used to listen to their station through their ipod app. damn good station.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Like everyone else here, I stopped listening to Q101 a while back, but still had it in my preset for commercials on xrt. They still did play good songs between the crap. WXRT has been around a lot longer and has a lot more listeners. Hopefully it's safe for a while longer. I guess it's oldies and xrt in Chicago for me now.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Same goes for me....I grew up listening to Q101, but it has become pretty much unlistenable at this point.

I do really like the 2 guys on there in the morning Sherman and Tingle...I throw them on the radio every now and then in the morning...that is, until they start playing another song by Disturbed...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    Gob wrote:

can't believe people still listen to regular radio. xpn is the only thing worth listening to in phily.
    www.myspace.com
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Chicago really does suck.
    The radio station selection sucks. Let's be clear about this.. 8-)
    Gob wrote:

taxes
    corruption
    population
    cubs
    traffic

the list goes on. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

taxes
    corruption
    population
    cubs
    traffic

the list goes on. :P
    OK, but besides those.. 8-)
  • phardinphardin Posts: 133
    Same goes for me....I grew up listening to Q101, but it has become pretty much unlistenable at this point.

I do really like the 2 guys on there in the morning Sherman and Tingle...I throw them on the radio every now and then in the morning...that is, until they start playing another song by Disturbed...

I like Sherman and TIngle a lot too (minus the Disturbed songs). This is a bummer, I don't know what I'll listen to during my morning drive now. Everything else sucks.
    Anyone remember "The Q101 Pearl Jam" ?

Every night around 7 I think, they'd play 4 or 5 Pearl Jam tracks in a row back in the mid 90s..
  • EvieVedderEvieVedder Posts: 461
    Seriously? This news sucks! I credit Q101 for introducing me to PJ. After hearing songs from ten, I made my ma buy me the cassette tape. I was 11 years old. I'm going to miss the "last letter game." Boo. :cry:
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Gob wrote:

Every night around 7 I think, they'd play 4 or 5 Pearl Jam tracks in a row back in the mid 90s..

Really?? I don't remember this for some reason..

It's kinda how the Loop plays Zeppelin at 8 every night I think it is. "Get the Led out" is what I think they call it.
    this is quite the colectors' item from Q101- PJ @ Soldier Field 95...i wish i can find disc 1 :?

140.jpg
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    this is quite the colectors' item from Q101- PJ @ Soldier Field 95...i wish i can find disc 1 :?

140.jpg

Ex GF casuality? Do I need to cut a bitch?
    :lol:
    phardin wrote:

I like Sherman and TIngle a lot too (minus the Disturbed songs). This is a bummer, I don't know what I'll listen to during my morning drive now. Everything else sucks.

If you can get reception, I strongly recommend Tom and Lisa on 95.1 (Will Rock!). They're a riot, and they play better music.
    Gob wrote:

Hell yeah!!

Ah, those were the days...
    That was really cool of Electra to give a shoutout for the ed preparty fundraiser for the wishlist foundation.
    when does the fork get stuck :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i believe aug 1st...but dont quote me on that
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Anybody remember WCBR ("Chicago's Bear")? 'Twas truly a sad day when they pulled the plug on that station.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i believe aug 1st...but dont quote me on that

looks like a good guess.

the Loop was included in the deal as well. upwards of 130M for the two stations :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,776
    Davidtrios wrote:
    That was really cool of Electra to give a shoutout for the ed preparty fundraiser for the wishlist foundation.

think she was a dj at y100 in philly if i'm not mistaken :think:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA