RIP Q101 - Chicago's Alternative Station

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    iamica wrote:
    I'm listening to the last Last Letter Game right now. This is so incredibly sad. :(
    And yeah, the last few days have been amazing. I'm going to miss Q101 so much.

Yeah, it's really sad. Electra just said her goodbye on the air....almost got a little emotional at work listening to that one...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    iamica wrote:
    I'm listening to the last Last Letter Game right now. This is so incredibly sad. :(

Yeah, it's really sad. Electra just said her goodbye on the air....almost got a little emotional at work listening to that one...

i dug around a bit, turns out she went to Brown. :o
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    JTH wrote:
    Anybody remember WCBR ("Chicago's Bear")?
    Apparently I'm the only one.
    JTH wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Anybody remember WCBR ("Chicago's Bear")?
    Apparently I'm the only one.

before my time for sure
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    iamica wrote:

i dug around a bit, turns out she went to Brown. :o

Yeah, Electra is great. Pretty big PJ fan too...I remember her talking about how she was lucky enough to get to go to the show at the Vic in 07.

I really wonder if this format of radio will be completely dead in Chicago. Same thing in NY.
  • IntoTheSunIntoTheSun Posts: 59
    I just read about this. This sucks. Chicago barely had any rock stations left before this. Well, I hope they're still on, I'll listen to them on the way home.
    I was there...
    PJ - 8/15/2000, 4/23/03, 6/18/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 6/30/06, 8/5/07, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/3/10, 5/4/10, 9/4/11, 7/19/13, 10/3/14, 10/17/14, 10/19/14, 10/20/14, 4/16/16, 8/7/16, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, 6/18/18, 6/24/18, 6/26/18, 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/1/22, 9/3/22, 8/31/23, 9/2/23, 9/5/23, 9/7/23, 9/13/23, 9/15/23, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 5/16/24, 5/18/24
    EV - 11/30/12, 12/1/12, 2/10/22, 10/7/22
    Sox - 10/22/05, 10/23/05, 9/30/08, 7/23/09, 8/12/21

Yeah, Electra is great. Pretty big PJ fan too...I remember her talking about how she was lucky enough to get to go to the show at the Vic in 07.

I really wonder if this format of radio will be completely dead in Chicago. Same thing in NY.

foudn a blog she used to write. she had like 10 bands listed as favs and PJ was one of them, along with radio head. i forget the rest
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • phardinphardin Posts: 133
    tim virgin, who i normally don't like, had a really good show today. a lot of past q101 djs were on. he told a story about how dennis rodman, carmen electra and sometimes eddie would be in the studio in the mid 90s getting hammered during his show. it really blows it'll all be done tomorrow
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Supposedly the music will be online, in one format or another, on Q101.com starting tomorrow. The DJs won't though, which really sucks.
    Rumor has it that there will be a Tea Party radio show taking over what was Q101. That just makes me angry beyond words.
    And if you aren't listening, listen online right now...they're playing some crazy songs that they never get to play on the radio, and Chris Payne is doing one final Local 101.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    iamica wrote:
    Supposedly the music will be online, in one format or another, on Q101.com starting tomorrow. The DJs won't though, which really sucks.
    Rumor has it that there will be a Tea Party radio show taking over what was Q101. That just makes me angry beyond words.
    And if you aren't listening, listen online right now...they're playing some crazy songs that they never get to play on the radio, and Chris Payne is doing one final Local 101.

Still playing the music this morning, just no DJs.
    iamica wrote:

Still playing the music this morning, just no DJs.

I think Chris Payne said that it would be pre-programmed alternative music until the new guys take over sometime this morning, probably around 10 AM.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    in other chicago area radio news....

105.9 is going to be changing formats as well, and will soon start simulcasting AM780

i don't listen to much on 105.9 but will flip thru it when all the other stations are on commercial or playing crap.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    81 wrote:

105.9 is going to be changing formats as well, and will soon start simulcasting AM780

i don't listen to much on 105.9 but will flip thru it when all the other stations are on commercial or playing crap.

sounds like a direct response to Q101's attempt at an FM News Station
    Davidtrios wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol: that's what the article said

i don't get it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i dont really get what an alternative station is. I think the term as i argued weeks ago is antiquated and tired. honestly, what was the last true alternative album or song released? Alternative i would argue has been morphed into indie, or rather the "hip and cool, edgy" folks who were turned onto alt rock either now listen to modern rock, which to me is the definition of what rock radio plays nowadays, or they started listening to indie. this is evidenced, by the fact that the grammy's alternative music category is made up entirely of indie bands. indie is a loaded term as well, considering many of the bands that are considered indie are mainstream, but reguardless, we do know that indie bands released albums this year. I dont really know of any alternative bands that released albums in the last 15 years.

I enjoy a band that can turn out a catchy hook laden tune. And Ive never listened to Q101, so i dont know their playlist, but are we honestly mourning the loss of an alternative radio station? Seether, BuckCherry, Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback, paramore, breaking benjamin all can obviously write a catchy song. we shouldnt begrudge them for that, but those bands are what most alt rock radio plays nowadays, and lets face it, theres nothing remotely alternative about them.

i dont get the alternative term and why it still exists. its laughable the grammys would even include a alterntive rock category in 2010, in fact its absurd. especially when the bands that are under that category are phoenix or black keys or vampire weekend or arcade fire.
    81 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol: that's what the article said

i don't get it.

i think they did it for some competition
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    i dont really get what an alternative station is. I think the term as i argued weeks ago is antiquated and tired. honestly, what was the last true alternative album or song released? Alternative i would argue has been morphed into indie, or rather the "hip and cool, edgy" folks who were turned onto alt rock either now listen to modern rock, which to me is the definition of what rock radio plays nowadays, or they started listening to indie. this is evidenced, by the fact that the grammy's alternative music category is made up entirely of indie bands. indie is a loaded term as well, considering many of the bands that are considered indie are mainstream, but reguardless, we do know that indie bands released albums this year. I dont really know of any alternative bands that released albums in the last 15 years.

I enjoy a band that can turn out a catchy hook laden tune. And Ive never listened to Q101, so i dont know their playlist, but are we honestly mourning the loss of an alternative radio station? Seether, BuckCherry, Shinedown, Hinder, Nickelback, paramore, breaking benjamin all can obviously write a catchy song. we shouldnt begrudge them for that, but those bands are what most alt rock radio plays nowadays, and lets face it, theres nothing remotely alternative about them.

i dont get the alternative term and why it still exists. its laughable the grammys would even include a alterntive rock category in 2010, in fact its absurd. especially when the bands that are under that category are phoenix or black keys or vampire weekend or arcade fire.

For the most part, Q101 was a 90s station. It played the same hit 90s alternative music, as well as current 90s rip off bands like Seether, Shine down, etc... The station got stale years ago and I haven't listened for some time. They didn't play "indie" bands like Arcade Fire, Phoenix, etc. which was a real shame.

93XRT is where its always been at. They play anything from Buddy Guy to the Beatles to U2, Ramones, Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire, Black Keys, and tons of My Morning Jacket lately... and their playlist never gets stale. There is a lot more variety, and with only the most respected artists.
    The thing about Q101 was that they took a lot of chances on stuff that never got played anywhere else, especially in the late 90s. They launched bands like Local H, Disturbed, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Local 101 is responsible for breaking a ton of bands that got really big. The problem was that the playlist always involved 10 songs that were played frequently throughout the day, so it could get old.
    However, there were some really good elements to the station...I enjoyed listening to Mancow back in the day, and even Sherman and Tingle occasionally...Electra was my favorite, the Last Letter Game would get a lot of rarities played.
    I think the reason that a lot of people are so upset is that many of us grew up listening to this station; it was a foundational part of our adolescence and young adulthood. Most of the bands that I listen to, I first heard on this station, and that includes Pearl Jam.
    I guess they're going to be playing pre-programmed music without DJs throughout the weekend, and possibly Monday is when it switches to the new talk format. :( But some broadcasting company bought all the rights to Q101, so apparently the station will continue streaming on their website, but whether or not there will be DJs remains to be seen.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Gob wrote:
    93XRT is where its always been at.
    Hear, hear!

Well, maybe not ALWAYS. I mean, WCBR was totally where it was at back in the 90s. But I guess I'm one of about three people who ever listened to them...
  • EvieVedderEvieVedder Posts: 461
    iamica wrote:
    I think the reason that a lot of people are so upset is that many of us grew up listening to this station; it was a foundational part of our adolescence and young adulthood. Most of the bands that I listen to, I first heard on this station, and that includes Pearl Jam.

Amen.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
    EvieVedder wrote:
    iamica wrote:

Amen.

Exactly. Q101 is the main reason that I became such a music lover.
    meanwhile, they're still playing alternative music.
    Davidtrios wrote:

not this AM. i was flipping thru the stations and heard talking on the Q so i stopped. listned to what sounded like a syndicated talking head talk about using the word fresh to describe the show. sounded like somebody was suing them to stop the use. i dunno, but it was painful. i need to find a new station to replace that on my saved station listing. taking suggestions. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

not this AM. i was flipping thru the stations and heard talking on the Q so i stopped. listned to what sounded like a syndicated talking head talk about using the word fresh to describe the show. sounded like somebody was suing them to stop the use. i dunno, but it was painful. i need to find a new station to replace that on my saved station listing. taking suggestions. :lol:

Yeah, apparently they're "stunting" on 101.1 FM right now...I haven't listened to the new morning show, but from what I've been hearing from people who have, it's absolutely unbearable. :?
    If you can get reception, 95.1 FM (out of Kenosha) isn't bad. I'm trying to find something else in the area that plays rock, but there isn't much.
    I've been listening to the online stream at Q101.com a lot lately. The guys who bought the rights to Q101 are trying to get it back on the air at a different station, so stay tuned...
    95.1 is in my rotation.

i've got 6 spots, and the last three are pretty useless. time to spin the dial and find something that isn't spanish. :lol: i hope 101 comes back on a new station. it wasn't the best around, but it was solid enough to listen to during the lunch hour.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

i've got 6 spots, and the last three are pretty useless. time to spin the dial and find something that isn't spanish. :lol: i hope 101 comes back on a new station. it wasn't the best around, but it was solid enough to listen to during the lunch hour.

I heard 105.9 is going all-talk soon. My presets are 104.3, XRT and 100.3...but XRT is the only one that has somewhat new music. I'm looking to fill those new 2 empty spots.
    And good luck finding something that isn't Spanish, I was flipping through the stations the other day and I swear that half of it was mariachi music. :shock: :lol:
    yeah, they said 105.9 was going to broadcast 780AM to complete with the new 101.1.

you would think a city the size of chicago could support a couple more of good stations.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    95.1 is in my rotation.

No 97.1 for you?? I enjoy the drive...pretty solid station.
    i'll give it a whirl tonight. i might have heard it once before but it didn't make the preset list.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg