Options

*** The Pizza Thread ***

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    81 wrote:
    i'd skip Giordino's. There was an article in the paper last week about franchisee's not using the proper ingriedients. They are going thru a messy bankruptchy right now with a lot of fighting.

Lou's will be good for your birthday party. While you wait for the pizza (45 minutes) you will have plenty of time to drink beer. then once you start eating, you will have plenty of pizza to soak up the beer. that's a win win in my book. :lol: the downside is, the cheese will back you up for a couple of days. :lol:

don't forget to try the world famous sausage patty :lol:

Yeah, I'd definitely skip Giordano's and go with Lou's. I had Giordano's a few months back and it wasn't that good.

MMMM...the sausage patty. Doesn't get any better than that.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    81 wrote:
    i'd skip Giordino's. There was an article in the paper last week about franchisee's not using the proper ingriedients. They are going thru a messy bankruptchy right now with a lot of fighting.

Lou's will be good for your birthday party. While you wait for the pizza (45 minutes) you will have plenty of time to drink beer. then once you start eating, you will have plenty of pizza to soak up the beer. that's a win win in my book. :lol: the downside is, the cheese will back you up for a couple of days. :lol:

don't forget to try the world famous sausage patty :lol:

Yeah, I'd definitely skip Giordano's and go with Lou's. I had Giordano's a few months back and it wasn't that good.

MMMM...the sausage patty. Doesn't get any better than that.
    got it guys,but actually,the 8 girls im taking to dinner with me will deside which place we are going.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the 8 girls will decide which place we are going.. 8-)

that's a recipie for trouble :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    81 wrote:
    the 8 girls will decide which place we are going.. 8-)

that's a recipie for trouble :lol:
    i fool them for come..told them Black Diamond will be there :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:
    chicago deep dish??? give me a break :roll:

get outta here with your over rated self

:lol: riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!

sure you are

that chicago shit is all dough..garbage
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    so,in 2 weeks ill taste the Chicago Famous deep dish Pizza :D

Pequods is the best in Chicago in my opinion.
    Their deep and their thin are phenomenal!!
  • Options

I actually prefer thin over deep. That said, Chicago thin is still better than anything you'll get anywhere else!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mca47 wrote:
    so,in 2 weeks ill taste the Chicago Famous deep dish Pizza :D

Pequods is the best in Chicago in my opinion.
    Their deep and their thin are phenomenal!!

Pequod's is damn good. Just had their deep dish over the weekend. For me, it's a close second behind Lou's.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    mmmmmmm...i just made the yummiest homemade pizza tonight - fresh basil, oregano and roma tomatoes from our garden....soooooo good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    Humble Pie in Salem Virginia

You can look them up on Facebook as HUMBLE PIE PIZZA or https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/HUMBL ... 2789112648
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Anyone ever been to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix?
    http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/

Multiple winner of best pizza in the US. It is fantastic!!!!

If you're ever in the Phoenix area, you have to go!! I'd suggest going during the week, because if you go on the weekend, you may be waiting for a table up to 3-4 hours....but it's well worth the wait!
  • Options
    Also, if you're ever in Vegas and want some amazing pizza....you gotta check out this place:
    http://settebello.net/

The owner is a VPN (Vera Pizza Napoletana) charter member. They use a 900 degree wood fired pizza oven. Awesome pizza!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    81 wrote:

get outta here with your over rated self

:lol: riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!

sure you are

its not all dough, its all toppings, too many IMHO
    its more like a casserole than a pizza
    besides the best pizza is in CT
    White clam at frank pepe's.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I went to this place flatbreads this weekend. Great crust, local organic toppings and darkside of the moon played in it's entirety. I think it's a northeastern Chain.

I need to get to pepes in new haven. I've lived in CT my whole life and have never been.
  • Options
    I need to get to pepes in new haven. I've lived in CT my whole life and have never been.
    Same here. The only problem is it's in New Haven.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    There are now 4 or 5 of them throughout CT. I know Danbury, Fairfield, Moheegun Sun, and another. New Haven is the original and a little better than the others but still its basically the same.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    There are now 4 or 5 of them throughout CT. I know Danbury, Fairfield, Moheegun Sun, and another. New Haven is the original and a little better than the others but still its basically the same.
    There's one in manchester too. I refuse to go to any of them until I go to the original and wait in line for an hour. I may make a trip this Saturday now.
  • Options

Well, I'll be in Danbury in November for work. I'll have to check it out. I def. consider myself a pizza snob, so...we'll see! ;):D
  • Options
    There's one in manchester too. I refuse to go to any of them until I go to the original and wait in line for an hour. I may make a trip this Saturday now.
    the other locations are hit or miss
    Ive been to yonkers three times-twice good, once not so good.

go early, you will disappointed if they are out of clams
  • Options
    The first and last tavern restaurants make a nice CT style pie as well
  • Options
    Get_Right, you ever had any pizza places in Waterbury?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nah, I try to get in and out of Waterbury as quickly as possible :lol::lol::lol:;)

Seriously, I have only been to Waterbury to go to shows at the palace-otherwise I have not spent much time there.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nah, I try to get in and out of Waterbury as quickly as possible :lol::lol::lol:;)

Seriously, I have only been to Waterbury to go to shows at the palace-otherwise I have not spent much time there.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: I don't blame you at all.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Get_Right wrote:
    its not all dough, its all toppings, too many IMHO
    its more like a casserole than a pizza
    besides the best pizza is in CT
    White clam at frank pepe's.
    The 'stuffed' pizza here in more like a casserole - I'd admit that, but I still love it.

But... you can get some killer thin crust or 'deep dish' pizza here too that's not that way. Giordanos is great for stuffed pizza, but Rosatis is great for more traditional pizza - although both are chains so quality can vary between locations. There are a bunch of local places too, but I'm about an hour SW of Chicago so I don't think too many people will be able to relate there.

I've always thought NY pizza is great, but overrated. Like... everyone is always saying 'if you go to NY you HAVE to get pizza by the slice there.' And I have probably tried like 10 different places out there in my few trips to NY, and while its all good its not too much better than fresh sbarro. I'm going to run now from all of the people who are going to take great offense at that... but know that as I run I stand by it. :lol:
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    The 'stuffed' pizza here in more like a casserole - I'd admit that, but I still love it.

But... you can get some killer thin crust or 'deep dish' pizza here too that's not that way. Giordanos is great for stuffed pizza, but Rosatis is great for more traditional pizza - although both are chains so quality can vary between locations. There are a bunch of local places too, but I'm about an hour SW of Chicago so I don't think too many people will be able to relate there.

I've always thought NY pizza is great, but overrated. Like... everyone is always saying 'if you go to NY you HAVE to get pizza by the slice there.' And I have probably tried like 10 different places out there in my few trips to NY, and while its all good its not too much better than fresh sbarro. I'm going to run now from all of the people who are going to take great offense at that... but know that as I run I stand by it. :lol:

I have heard about the Chicago "cracker crust" but have yet to try it. That sounds like it would be right up my alley as I almost fell asleep waiting for my deep dish :lol:

You are right-the average NYC slice is not particularly special-there is a reason people add shaker cheese, garlic, herbs and hot pepper to it before eating. The one good thing about NYC is that slice joints are everywhere and when you need to eat for $3 at 1am, even a bad slice tastes good. :!: It is an NYC experience though-good or bad. And slice joints are not comparable to the whole coal fired joints like John's and Grimaldi's.
    Kind of like having 2 papaya dogs and a papaya drink after a show at the beacon. :!:
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

I have heard about the Chicago "cracker crust" but have yet to try it. That sounds like it would be right up my alley as I almost fell asleep waiting for my deep dish :lol:

You are right-the average NYC slice is not particularly special-there is a reason people add shaker cheese, garlic, herbs and hot pepper to it before eating. The one good thing about NYC is that slice joints are everywhere and when you need to eat for $3 at 1am, even a bad slice tastes good. :!: It is an NYC experience though-good or bad. And slice joints are not comparable to the coal fired joints like John's and Grimaldi's.
    Kind of like having 2 papaya dogs and a papaya drink after a show at the beacon. :!:
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Get_Right wrote:

You are right-the average NYC slice is not particularly special-there is a reason people add shaker cheese, garlic, herbs and hot pepper to it before eating. The one good thing about NYC is that slice joints are everywhere and when you need to eat for $3 at 1am, even a bad slice tastes good. :!: It is an NYC experience though-good or bad. And slice joints are not comparable to the coal fired joints like John's and Grimaldi's.
    Yeah there's nothing cooler than getting pizza @ 1-2AM in NY... I've done that on my PJ trips there and its just fun to be able to do and it makes the pizza taste a little better too because its a unique experience (at least for me!).

The 'cracker crust' out here is good...my only complaint is it feels like you get less for the $$, but that's just the way it goes when you get thin crust pizza, right? :)
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    The best one that I had was in Fort Lauderdale at a place called GiGi's, it was amazing. Last time I ate there was in 09 and I'm going back there this December and I can't wait :cry: Its funny cause the wife and I were talking about the place today. One of the other reasons we have to go back is because of their cheesecake, its to die for. Were calling them the day before we go and are ording a full cheesecake so we can take it back to the place were staying at :D Good old fashion Italien restaurant, same owner for over 40 yrs.
    When you go down to Fort Lauderdale check out Primanti Bros. on Fort lauderdale beach. They have really good pizza and their sandwiches are unbelievable! http://www.primantibrothers.com/02menu.html

My favorite pizza place is Star Tavern in Orange NJ http://startavern.net/ The crust is perfect and just enough sauce. Mmmmm Can't wait to have some when I get up there soon.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    Went to Pepe's in new haven today. 27 miles each way. It was 100 percent worth it. Ordered the white clam pizza and the summertime tomato and mozz.

There was a line outside but it moved quick.