Options

*** The Pizza Thread ***

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

That sounds yummy, I will definitely try it! Thank you!

No problemo :)
    It turns out perfect.
    I use a pizza cooker, it is ready in 10mins.
    Do you intend to use one of those or in a oven?
    If so I have never tried it in a oven, hopefully it will turn out the same.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Pizza in the USA is much more expensive than here.
    I viewed online menu's of those Chicago pizza places.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Best pizza in Edmonton is Famoso. Im totally addicted to the Primavera with a side of campania tomato sauce to dip in.

http://www.famoso.ca/menu/pizza.php
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    i'm planning on grilling a pizza on the ol' webber at some point in the not too distant future... :think:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Pizza in the USA is much more expensive than here.
    I viewed online menu's of those Chicago pizza places.

EVERYTHING in chicago is more expensive.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    morello wrote:
    Ok, I haven't read the whole thread sorry but can anyone cut to the chase & tell me where I can get the best NY style & then Chicago style pizza when I'm in both places after PJ20[I've got 3 nights in NYC & 1 night in Chicago (OMG still can't quite believe this :D ) & pizza is actually on the 'things I must do' list for both!! :lol: ]?? I've heard Two Boots is good in NYC?

Lou's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    All my relatives from Orange County Cali only want to eat when they visit here (Chicago). Apparently food in southern California sucks unless you are vegetarian or into seafood... Pizza and roast beef are high on their demands.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    5 pages and no mention of pepe's or sally's in New haven, CT :?:
    amateurs

have a white clam pie at pepe's and any arguments about NY vs. Chicago will quickly be forgotten
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    The 81 wrote:
    morello wrote:
    Ok, I haven't read the whole thread sorry but can anyone cut to the chase & tell me where I can get the best NY style & then Chicago style pizza when I'm in both places after PJ20[I've got 3 nights in NYC & 1 night in Chicago (OMG still can't quite believe this :D ) & pizza is actually on the 'things I must do' list for both!! :lol: ]?? I've heard Two Boots is good in NYC?

Lou's

Noted. Thank-you. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    I happy to really like two boots, I like the cornmeal and the spicy sauce-try a slice of the "tony clifton"
    http://www.twoboots.com/TW2008/menus09/grandcentral.pdf

otherwise john's of bleeker or motorino
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Get_Right wrote:
    morello wrote:
    I happy to really like two boots, I like the cornmeal and the spicy sauce-try a slice of the "tony clifton"
    http://www.twoboots.com/TW2008/menus09/grandcentral.pdf

otherwise john's of bleeker or motorino
    Thank-you! Mmm-mmmmm!! :)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Thnak-you! Mmm-mmmmm!! :)
    safe travels
    let me know if you need any other NYC tips
    And go to katz's deli for pastrami, not carnegie, stage, second ave or any other place.
    Pastrami on rye with mustard-and pickles on the side-no more, no less ;)
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,480
    The best one that I had was in Fort Lauderdale at a place called GiGi's, it was amazing. Last time I ate there was in 09 and I'm going back there this December and I can't wait :cry: Its funny cause the wife and I were talking about the place today. One of the other reasons we have to go back is because of their cheesecake, its to die for. Were calling them the day before we go and are ording a full cheesecake so we can take it back to the place were staying at :D Good old fashion Italien restaurant, same owner for over 40 yrs.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    morello, joes pizza is another good pizza joint in nyc. yea it's famous and all that other bs but it's the only pizza joint in the city i like. i also like the little hole in wall pizza joints that are open 24 hours and are dirt cheap :lol::lol: .
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Wow. Cool. Thank-you for your tips. I'm staying with an old friend from uni who's lived in NYC since 1998 & she's been great for telling me what to do so far + my Mum lived in NYC when she was young(sure that's like 50 years ago, but still) so I'm really hoping I will be able to fit in lots, tick of lots on my 'must see' list & do my trip justice in just 2 & 1/2 days. :D
    <hr>
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    I live in the south suburbs of Chicago--best pizza hands down: Beggar's. they put one in the city but its NOT the same. The locations in Oak Forest and Blue Island are the best.

Edwardo's stuffed spinach is delish....

lou's is good and everyone loves giradano's stuffed (its not bad- I prefer Edwardo's)
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Poncier wrote:
    Santarpio's, East Boston.

Best.

Pizza.

Ever.

Place hasn't changed in 40 years.
    Don't think its been cleaned in 40 years either. :mrgreen: :shock: :?

And aren't you supposed to tout The Pizza Center?
    Though I understand its not what it was back when the late great Sully owned it.

There you are! :lol: Knew you'd weigh in on this one.

Yup, Pizza Center is still a favorite, but you're right, never the same after Sully owned it. We had a pizza from his place within days before he died, made by him, and as you well know it was fantastic. Something about using the cornmeal on the bottom of the dough. Yummmmmmmmmm.

Stopped into the Pizza Center and had two slices and a diet Coke at the counter a couple of weeks ago. Just like being a kid again... and still boxes and boxes all over the place.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    When you are visiting Calgary...in September..to see a show...call Sophie's pizza...our fave is the Canadian or Royale. It's take out or delivery, and is the best we've had in Calgary...keep in mind we are a little biased and will only order in our area of town.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,083
    metsfan wrote:
    morello, joes pizza is another good pizza joint in nyc. yea it's famous and all that other bs but it's the only pizza joint in the city i like. i also like the little hole in wall pizza joints that are open 24 hours and are dirt cheap :lol::lol: .

Amazingly I never had it, but I've been to the version of it on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood.

http://buzzofla.com/Detail.aspx?aid=445
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2011
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    Santa Lucia.
    St Mary's Road.
    Winnipeg, Manitoba.

3546.jpg
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    Stopped into the Pizza Center and had two slices and a diet Coke at the counter a couple of weeks ago. Just like being a kid again... and still boxes and boxes all over the place.
    Except when we were kids that would have cost what, a buck, maybe $1.25 for 2 slices and a drink.
    Obviously haven't been into the PC in some time, but I'll guess its a little more these days.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    thanks to this thread, had pizza friday night and it was excellent.
    mmmmm.....onion pizza.
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    First of all Chicago >>>> NY pizza any day.

My fav in Chicago is Pequod's. Deep dish is good, but especially like their thin crust. Mmmm!

I made some awesome homemade grilled pizza last night.
    Spicy tomato sauce, really nice motz, a little smoked gouda, red peppers, caramelized onions, kalamata olives, and some sliced tomato.

Mmmmm! :D
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,480
    mca47 wrote:

My fav in Chicago is Pequod's. Deep dish is good, but especially like their thin crust. Mmmm!

Spicy tomato sauce, really nice motz, a little smoked gouda, red peppers, caramelized onions, kalamata olives, and some sliced tomato.

What is kalamata :?:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    We make our own pizza.

The best pizza I ever bought was in 2006. After the PJ show in Bologna we were walking in the rain to get back to our hotel in Casalecchio di Reno. We found a restaurant (name?) open even though it was late.

The pizza was magnificent! It was right from a very hot, wood fired oven and was topped with simple tomato sauce, basil leaves and slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella melted on a deeply browned crust. Bellissimo!
    Hold On
  • Options
    i had pizza friday....it was served cold, although the waitress said she watched it come out of the oven and grabbed it as soon as it did....what a lie.

it ended up being free....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I hate this argument/debate - chicago-style/New York-style(which isn't a style, it's just the regular version a/k/a not Chicago-style) = Apples/Oranges

btw...

oranges > apples

;)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    mm.jpg
    Awesome pizza, great crust.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    BLACK35 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

What is kalamata :?:

Kalamatas are a tasty purple olive from Greece. They are more of a table olive, but they're also awesome on pizza! Mmmmm!