Got a first date lined up for Saturday night....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Really nervous, this is my first date ever, I am not good at these things and am very shy and anxious.
She had a crush on me in High School (I was too shy to respond) and found me on facebook and was very happy to have reconnected after almost 10 yrs, and she was keen to chat online.
We agreed on meeting up for a coffee on Tuesday night over facebook (she kept insisting on catching up) and then gave me her number without me asking. So I am taking it she likes me.

I just spoke to her to confirm the time and ensure she knows where this cafe is.
She asked me "are we just doing coffee or something else afterwards".
I responded with "we'll see how it goes, maybe". Didn't expect that question.
Now this has me thinking. Is she really really keen on me and wants to spend more time, or is my date plan boring???
I read online tips for dating and a short meet up over coffee is the best bet for a first date and make a second date longer and something different and activity based.

Advice please, help a brother out. :?

Thanks in advance.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bring a rubber and a backup plan to bolt.
    Never hurts to be prepared.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    wing it. go for the coffee and if you enjoy it suggest something else. and be honest. if you are nervous nothing wrong with telling her that. saying you don't know what to say is better than sitting there saying nothing.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Sounds like she wants to do more than just have coffee. Why don’t you just suggest a walk after your coffee date. No pressure on you and at that time you can make plans to see each other again.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Sounds like she wants to do more than just have coffee. Why don’t you just suggest a walk after your coffee date. No pressure on you and at that time you can make plans to see each other again.
    This sounds good! If she had a crush on you in high school, then she is probably excited about seeing you and catching up. Anxious is understandable. So is shy. :) Just take some deep breaths, relax, it will be fine. 10 years worth of stuff should be able to provide for some conversation. :D Have fun!
    edit: also, being honest and admitting you're nervous if you are, is good advice from the other poster. And your coffee date does not sound boring--don't worry. You never know, SHE might be the one to suggest what to do next.. :D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Really nervous, this is my first date ever, I am not good at these things and am very shy and anxious.
    She had a crush on me in High School (I was too shy to respond) and found me on facebook and was very happy to have reconnected after almost 10 yrs, and she was keen to chat online.
    We agreed on meeting up for a coffee on Tuesday night over facebook (she kept insisting on catching up) and then gave me her number without me asking. So I am taking it she likes me.

I just spoke to her to confirm the time and ensure she knows where this cafe is.
    She asked me "are we just doing coffee or something else afterwards".
    I responded with "we'll see how it goes, maybe". Didn't expect that question.
    Now this has me thinking. Is she really really keen on me and wants to spend more time, or is my date plan boring???
    I read online tips for dating and a short meet up over coffee is the best bet for a first date and make a second date longer and something different and activity based.

Advice please, help a brother out. :?

Thanks in advance.
    Ummm... might just be me but coffee on a Saturday night?
    Maybe you can think of something fun and make a little memory... it is a first date.

Your reply ... "we'll see how it goes, maybe" ... if that was me, as the lady friend,
    I'd be feeling the pressure!

Not sure about dating tips online ... feeling is the way to go.
    Focus on how she feels this will help your shyness, make her the center of attention.
    Move from the heart and you can't go wrong.
    Keep it open to the possibilities even just as a friendship.

Perhaps this girl did not impress you so much in high school
    and maybe not still but I hope life surprises you and knocks your socks off! :D
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    get to know her and see how it goes ... try to be yourself ... listen to her ... she'll be nervous too ...

if you are enjoying her company ... go for a walk ... find a nice spot with maybe a view and talk some more ...

if you still like her ... walk her home ...

if at any point you are not feeling it with her ... politely end the date and whatever you do ... don't say "you'll call her" if you don't plan on it ...
  • #1. Ask her a ton of questions. Fact: Women just want to talk and want men to listen.
    #2. She will eventually ask you some stuff, so just be honest and sincere. No need to put on a show.
    #3. Although you are just meeting for coffee, maybe think of something you can do afterwards because chances are things will go well and you don't want it to end for lack of something else to do (ex. go for a walk somewhere that has nice scenery and bring a blanket).
    #4. Shyness is cool. Nobody likes the asshole who doesn't shut his mouth. Confidence is key. Quiet confidence - even better.
    #5. Take the stigma of a "date" out of your mind. Just go catch up with her. The "date" really takes place if you see her a second time.
    #6. PJ20
    No need to be void,... or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all.....

PJ
    Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
    Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    Just be yourself....
    Dont overthink it..
    Just be yourself....
    Just have fun....
    Just be yourself....
    Let the conversation flow naturally...
    Just be yourself....
    Make her smile...
    Just be yourself....
    Have fun....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    #1. Ask her a ton of questions. Fact: Women just want to talk and want men to listen.
    This is not always the case, especially for shy women. :D I would prefer not to do most of the talking at that stage of the game, but that's just me. But the asking questions part is good, shows interest.
    and, yes, pj20! :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you think it's a really really awesome idea,...it's most likely not, and you should not say it. :lol:

and most importantly, post a picture of her so we can help decide if she is the one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    EmBleve wrote:
    #1. Ask her a ton of questions. Fact: Women just want to talk and want men to listen.
    This is not always the case, especially for shy women. :D I would prefer not to do most of the talking at that stage of the game, but that's just me. But the asking questions part is good, shows interest.

I hate when guys ask a bunch of stupid questions!

If you like her, stay away from talking about politics or religion.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    oh yeah ... don't let her know you are a right wing rupert murdoch loving guy right away ... :D
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Get hammered and plow.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

RKCNDY wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

I hate when guys ask a bunch of stupid questions!

If you like her, stay away from talking about politics or religion.
    :lol: 'stupid' being the key word. And absolutely true on your second point!!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    don't forget to clean out the chamber before you go..no more nerves. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Thank you all for the advice and feedback, much appreciated.
    As for the coffee on a Sat night not being a good idea mentioned earlier, she suggested we do something Sat night, I always thought and read that coffee or drinks at a bar are most suitable for a first date.
    Maybe I should've suggested Sunday lunchtime, oh wells.
    Where we are meeting up is not a walking distance to her house.
    I hope she doesn't want to go city, too much traffic.
    It is all cafe's and restaurants where we are going, not sure if there is a place more exciting there, see what happens.
    I always had in my mind something "more exciting" for a second date.
    I am going by the rules on youtube and online dating advice sites.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    pjhawks wrote:
    wing it. go for the coffee and if you enjoy it suggest something else. and be honest. if you are nervous nothing wrong with telling her that. saying you don't know what to say is better than sitting there saying nothing.

^ Good advice! It definitely seems like she wants to spend time with you, so think of something to do after coffee if things go well. Is there a nice park nearby? Somewhere you could stroll to with pretty scenery? (not something where she will think you're just taking her to a "make out spot" or whatnot haha) At least near me there are tons of parks with pretty fountains and benches and lighting and statues. It's casual and romantic. Make it a night to remember, have fun. Enjoy yourself!!!!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    As for the coffee on a Sat night not being a good idea mentioned earlier, she suggested we do something Sat night, I always thought and read that coffee or drinks at a bar are most suitable for a first date.
    It is all cafe's and restaurants where we are going, not sure if there is a place more exciting there, see what happens.
    You are already overthinking this!!!!! hehehehe

Relax my friend.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Relax my friend.....
    yes, and please do. ;) I've had quite a few 'first date coffee dates', and they're absolutely fine. It's a good way to get a vibe on things...an icebreaker. Plus, it's an excellent situation because if it's not working out, you both have an easy out at that point-conversely, if it is working out...it's easy to move forward. Don't sweat it.
    pjhawks wrote:

^ Good advice! It definitely seems like she wants to spend time with you, so think of something to do after coffee if things go well. Is there a nice park nearby? Somewhere you could stroll to with pretty scenery? (not something where she will think you're just taking her to a "make out spot" or whatnot haha) At least near me there are tons of parks with pretty fountains and benches and lighting and statues. It's casual and romantic. Make it a night to remember, have fun. Enjoy yourself!!!!

Nah no parks, it is not in the city, it's in the suburbs, a popular small strip with cafes and restaurants.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    pjhawks wrote:

Nah no parks, it is not in the city, it's in the suburbs, a popular small strip with cafes and restaurants.

Then you should have plenty to do! Don't worry! Lots of places you could wander to if necessary. Be yourself, and have fun :D

Relax my friend.....

I am trying to, been having problems relaxing during the day and falling asleep at night since. Nervous and anxious as.
    Want to make this work, sick of being single at almost 27 yrs, so I feel more under pressure to not blow it.
    Plus I've had job interviews that I am waiting to find out if I got the job.
    Too many things on my mind and I'm constantly nervous/anxious atm. :?
    Thanks all.

Then you should have plenty to do! Don't worry! Lots of places you could wander to if necessary. Be yourself, and have fun :D

Thanks ;)
    I think because it is a Saturday night and a long weekend here she wants to do more.
    If it get's to that it's gonna be a trip to the city or at a shopping center complex in the suburbs with a bowling or pool place.
  • Congrats on your first date!

As many others have said, seriously, you have a good starting point, and then just wing it from there. Go with the vibe of the night and just let it take you wherever it leads. No reason to stress over thinking of what to do next, should there be a second part, stressing over sticking to a plan and hoping she likes it. You don't want anything to take focus off of her. Afterall, that's what the night is about, you and her getting together, you've already done that part, so just sit back and see where your minds take you two.
    bowling or pool is always good. mini golf is always a good time. you can always make a small wager which can be fun

depending on what time you are meeting, grabbing a bite to eat would be an option.

going for a walk is always a good option.

have a list of things to talk about.

what she does
    what's she been up to since HS
    fav bands
    movies
    hobbies
    travel

don't marry her on the first night....just talk and see if you two might have enough interests to move forward.

if things go well and you two have a good time, make sure you give her a hug good night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    bowling or pool is always good. mini golf is always a good time. you can always make a small wager which can be fun

depending on what time you are meeting, grabbing a bite to eat would be an option.

what she does
    fav bands
    movies
    hobbies
    travel

don't marry her on the first night....just talk and see if you two might have enough interests to move forward.

if things go well and you two have a good time, make sure you give her a hug good night.

definitely agree with the bowling or mini golf, good clean fun :lol:

and the hug good night, awwwwwwwwww how sweet
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    The 81 wrote:

what she does
    fav bands
    movies
    hobbies
    travel

definitely agree with the bowling or mini golf, good clean fun :lol:

and the hug good night, awwwwwwwwww how sweet

Great advice :D Good luck M. Just remember to have fun. Let it be a very organic meeting. Try not to over-think things and just live in the moment :D

And most importantly . . . Be sound :mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    i'm a sweet kind of guy....

plus it gives you a chance to see if the bra is padded. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    i'm a sweet kind of guy....

plus it gives you a chance to see if the bra is padded. :lol:

so much for good clean fun :lol: