Options

Lance Armstrong doping ?

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Ah im only taking the piss guys, and do Note im in the UK. I dont know anyone here who watches people bike up and down hills, but im aware they do.

Yet - i would say the sports popularity was boosted massively by having Lance be part of it.

that's a shame ... the most recent winner of the tdf is from the UK ... in fact, the top 2 are from the UK ... arguably, cycling's best ever sprinter is from the UK and one of the strongest teams in the world is a UK based outfit ...
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,907
    Yeah Wiggins was big news here for doing so but honestly very little actually watched him do it

Hoy leaving Sky will make a few things change but on the whole cycling hardly grips the nation
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    sports popularity is misleading ... i think most people would not know that cricket is the second most popular sport behind football (soccer) ... cycling is more popular than one thinks ... it's especially in huge in europe ...

I dont think its misleading at all. As someone else said, lance boosted cyclings ratings as well as the hype and attention cycling got. And thats an understatement. Few if any americans were watching cycling prior. it just wasnt big. Lance changed all that, and suddenly football fans and moms and grandparents knew what the Tour was and knew Lance was part of it. To say that wasnt a huge, if not the motivating factor behind the coverup by UCI and the other officials is ignorant on this issue. Prior to Lance, i wasnt a huge sports fan, Jordan had retired, or was with the Wizards and wasnt as good, and no other sports interested me. Suddenly, people like me, who dont give a damn about who wins the Super bowl, started to be interested in the Tour and how Lance was doing in each stage of the Tour. That isnt a unique story. Cycling as a sport, and everyone employed during that time period, all reaped huge economic benefits as a result of the ratings, the marketing, the hype and the attention cycling was getting as a result of lance. Journalists made money off him. Every single other rider kept their mouth shut, as did every other head honcho and suit wearing UCI and cycling official. They knew if they spoke up, they would not be making as much money, the sport would be exposed, and no one would care about cycling again. The same exact thing, down to a t, happened in baseball.

The other interesting aspect was how Lance turned alot of people onto bike riding as a fun way to exercise. I know im not the only person who when riding my bike during those years would imagine I was lance. Livestrong.com and Livestrong.org are all about being healthy, active, doing athletic things and keeping in shape. As recently as a few weeks ago Lance continues to post often about bike riding on his twitter. he often rides 70-100 miles a day. Turning people onto biking to me is good, and theres no question he did.

To me, the coverup by UCI and team managers, officials, and doctors deserves more than just an acknowledgement. A criminal proceeding needs to happen. And those people need to be brought to justice. Its not enough to just say, "

And as far as riders not doping past 2005, vande velde admitted doping flat out in his affidavit into 2007. His results from 99-2007 were erased, so he obviously continued to dope. Look at the punishments of most of the 11 teammates. Nearly all had results voided into 2006. They told what they told the investigators not because they wanted to clean up the sport, but because they were forced to by subpeonea. Thus they werent going to say a word had a subpeona not been given. Few if any of the 11 in the reasoned decision had admitted they had doped prior to the investigation. Thats why they were stripped of their results when it was published. They hadnt admitted it before. Otherwise, they;d have been punished prior. And they werent. And a fair amount of the 11 only came out and admitted it maybe 6 months before Lance did. Hincapie sure as hell didnt admit to doping prior to a subpeona, as most people viewed him as clean. Hamilton admitted maybe a year before the reasoned decision on 60 minutes. These arent guys who had long been advocates of clean sport. For one, you cant be an advocate for clean sport if you arent admitting your role in it. Vande Velde wasnt some activist for the cause, because he wasnt out there in 2002, 2004, 2006 or whenever saying, "you know what, I doped, and its time to clean up the sport". Most if not all 11, testified to save their own skin, otherwise why admit it?
  • Options
    plus you cant tell me you say Lance is a liar about everything, and you say he's lying about doping in 2009-2010. But then you say some of the 11 teammates are clean now. Why would we believe anything anyone of them said? They lied and cheated just like Lance did. None were forthcoming until a subpeona was given and they saw the chance to get a deal out of it. Many of them wrote books just like Lance did. To tell me Landis or Hamilton havent made bank off the 99-2005 Tours, and then when they admitted they doped they also made alot of money doing press, and writing books. Hamilton is ALWAYS on some tv show talking about this stuff.

The news about Arod this week to me was the least surprising thing ive ever read. We knew he doped. And now we know he continued to dope and lie about it. And his doping was supposedly from 2002 or so, thats when it was argued he used, and then he came out a few years ago and said he doped. Now we see he's continued to do it.

I dont think his behavior is unique. Just because someone says they stopped doping doesnt mean they actually have. And thats across sports lines.

Its silly to believe some people but hold lance up as some example of unique bad behavior. Thats what Tygart does. Lance is the cheater. he's the main problem in cycling. US Postal doped but as long as we have them exposed then we are ok, no need to discuss how rampant and common doping was.

Focusing on Lance is naive and petty when its at the expense of exposing the larger problem in cycling and inside sports as a whole.

I can think of 10 more officials or cyclists, or ball players or commisioners who need to be hauled in front of a jury and fined and punished.

Thats not going to get done any other way other than dealing with these issues in real ways. And first of all that means admitting doping in cycling involved 80 percent of the peloton, that it was just as lance said-it was like putting air in your tires it was so common, and that officials, managers, bosses, and doctors all willingly covered up widespread doping in the sport.

The next step of course is bringing those people to justice
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,670
    tomorrow's a big day, lance

:corn:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

how old is he now? if his ban was even reduced to 10 years, how old would he be then? would it even be worth it?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I think Lance is 40 or 41. The deadline was extended by USADA for two weeks. Also, Birotte, the DA for Southern California district made an announcement that he would not be reconsidering his decision to prosecute Lance. if you remember last year he made the announcement that the investigation would be dropped and there would be no prosecution. After Lance's so called confession the talk was that charges would now be pursued. However, after Birotte's recent announcement of no prosecution, there was a leak that another jurisdiction was preparing to file charges. Ha!! One of the headlines was "Birotte doesn't speak for the federal government" or something like that.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

how old is he now? if his ban was even reduced to 10 years, how old would he be then? would it even be worth it?

he is seeking the reduction to 8 years which is the standard for his case if he co-operates ...

the delay is probably related to what the wada/uci "truth and reconciliation" commission is going to go through ... i believe the only reason why this thing hasn't been blown right open is that there are still powerful interests who continue to want to protect this lie ... mainly the UCI and probably sponsors like Nike ...
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

kinda like american baseball. I only watched when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the record. Other than that, you even see people in the stands falling asleep, never mind watching it at home on a comfy couch. :lol:

you are so wrong about that, hugh freaking dillion :nono: :fp:

about what? I've seen people sleeping in the stands.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

he is seeking the reduction to 8 years which is the standard for his case if he co-operates ...

the delay is probably related to what the wada/uci "truth and reconciliation" commission is going to go through ... i believe the only reason why this thing hasn't been blown right open is that there are still powerful interests who continue to want to protect this lie ... mainly the UCI and probably sponsors like Nike ...

so he wants to compete again at 50 years old? is there a senior tour de france?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

He wants to compete in triathlon. One can be more competitive at an older age in tri than in road racing. Although 50 will definitely be too old to be a winning pro or even a pro maybe. However, supposedly his life revolves around competing. As it now stands he cannot compete in sanctioned running events which would include most of the marathons in this country, most of the triathlons, etc. The only way he could compete at all - even as an age grouper - would be some small events here and there that are not sanctioned by the governing bodies of the sport.

I have to say that it would suck not to be able to compete. I am an old competitor and can sometime get a trophy in my age group. I usually compete in 5-10 events per year - triathlon and running events. I'd say only a couple are not sanctioned, and I live in a rural area. It would hurt not to be able to do those events that I usually do or want to do in the future.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options

I have to say that it would suck not to be able to compete.

LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

I have to say that it would suck not to be able to compete.

LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif

Yeah, it pretty much sucks for Lance now. Not enough..... but hopefully that is coming. I'm not sure what sports he will be able to participate in while incarcerated. I guess he can run around and around the track during his hour in the yard. :lol:
  • Options

further to riverrunner's post ... he basically is banned from any event sanctioned by USADA ... i also think part of this is he feel's he got a raw deal because the riders who testified against him only served 6 month bans ... but like everything else - he just doesn't get it ...
  • Options
    Yeah, it pretty much sucks for Lance now. Not enough..... but hopefully that is coming. I'm not sure what sports he will be able to participate in while incarcerated. I guess he can run around and around the track during his hour in the yard. :lol:

dude does have some powerful friends ... as indicated by the dropping of the investigation into him abruptly despite agents pushing for prosecution ...

if he ever does do a tell-all ... you can be sure that he's gonna bring down A LOT of people ...

gotta remember also that this is a guy who typically tried to bribe first ... the reason for that is cuz it works ...
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Facing jailtime?
    :o

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... ewyorkpost

Likely motivated by a potential jail stint, Lance Armstrong will now cooperate with the USADA, according to an ABC News report.

The disgraced cyclist’s about-face came after ABC reported that he was facing a federal investigation for witness tampering, obstruction, and intimidation and just hours before the USADA was set to permanently ban Armstrong for life from sport.

The USADA, the agency that investigated the cyclist's performance-enhancing drug use, banned Armstrong from sport for life but set a deadline of last night for Armstrong to cooperate with their cleanup effort. The agency has said cooperating in its cleanup effort is the only path to Armstrong getting his sporting ban reduced and he now has till Feb. 20 to officially decide. It appears now he is willing to cooperate.

The news reports came after a statement by U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte, whose office conducted a criminal investigation of Armstrong, closing the probe a year ago without bringing any charges. Armstrong subsequently admitted to the drug use he long denied after USADA went ahead with its own investigation.

Birotte said that "we've been well-aware of the statements that have been made by Mr. Armstrong and other media reports. That has not changed my view at this time. Obviously, we'll consider, we'll continue to look at the situation, but that hasn't changed our view as I stand here today."

Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler declined to say whether any other component of the department is investigating Armstrong, who admitted in an interview with Oprah two weeks ago to doping after he had been stripped of his seven Tour De France titles.

With AP
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Although Birotte has said that HE will not be filing charges, the rumors are that another US Attorney in another district may. Birotte only controls his district in So. Cal. But the US investigators who handled the initial investigation were supposedly furious with Birotte's decision not to go forward with criminal charges. The experienced investigators thought there was plenty of evidence. There was a lot of political pressure put on Birotte by a couple of California senators supposedly. There was some sort of tobacco issue on the ballot in California and Lance agreed to support it and then somehow charges were not brought. BUT, there is still plenty of evidence and lots of other US Attorneys in other districts who can still go forward.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,760
    Not sure if this has been posted already - if so, sorry.

Lance Armstrong: US firm sues disgraced cyclist for $12m
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21359550
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

dude does have some powerful friends ... as indicated by the dropping of the investigation into him abruptly despite agents pushing for prosecution ...

if he ever does do a tell-all ... you can be sure that he's gonna bring down A LOT of people ...

gotta remember also that this is a guy who typically tried to bribe first ... the reason for that is cuz it works ...

I dont think it was just him who had powerful friends. the UCI and everyone else hid the doping of ALL the cyclists. from US Postal and Discovery to other countries teams. Its absurd to believe the UCI or anyone who had major power in cycling or has power in cycling would want the rampant doping in the sport to be exposed. All those guys had major powerful friends. How was Hamilton able to keep his doping hidden for 15 years? Or Hincapie? Especially Hincapie. There were guys who the public suspected of doping but Hincapie wasnt on ANYONES radar in this respect. He had people who kept his secret for him as well
  • Options
    i personally dont think he should be put in jail. Thats the corner the cycling world and establishment has painted itself into. Its making an example of Lance. But the problem is the whole cycling world doped, with the expressed written consent of the UCI and everyone else who held major power. hundreds of cyclists during those years doped. The entire winners circle during those years is a complete blank, not only did the winner cheat but the runner up and bronze winner also cheated.

the cycling world should go after everyone who doped.
  • Options
    i personally dont think he should be put in jail. Thats the corner the cycling world and establishment has painted itself into. Its making an example of Lance. But the problem is the whole cycling world doped, with the expressed written consent of the UCI and everyone else who held major power. hundreds of cyclists during those years doped. The entire winners circle during those years is a complete blank, not only did the winner cheat but the runner up and bronze winner also cheated.

Too many did it. Still wrong.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options

Too many did it. Still wrong.

No ones arguing otherwise. The point is cleaning up the sport. Thats what needs to be done. Indicting or prosecuting lance doesnt accomplish that. As much as Tygart wants to act like the sport only had one doper and that was Lance, thats just not the truth and never has been. The cycling world and prosecutors are making an example of lance for a reason. Just as all such MAJOR cases like this are. The real problem is deeper, more rampant and more widespread than tygart or anyone else wants to acknowledge. If we can prosecute lance they can wash their hands of the doping situation. Look, we care about clean sport, and we punished a doper, harshly they would say. The truth is cleaning up cycling takes alot more than this.

The major problem is the people who covered up the widespread doping still are bigwigs in the cycling world. Managers, officials, UCI etc... Why would anyone think the cycling world could possibly be clean if the same people hold jobs still?

Its like racism. You dont end racism by jailing and fining a single racist. It requires more fundamental action. And in jailing and catching that single racist you dont act like you've solved racism. Just as catching Bonds or Mcgwire or ARod doesnt end doping in baseball.

These people are made examples of because those in power dont want anyone to look deeper. You look deeper and see everyone knew, covered it up, lied, cheated and allowed it to happen. It involves essentially the entire racing apparatus at the time, coaches, managers, officials, leaders, UCI officials. this thing was massive.
  • Options
    in addition, its not being investigated fully because of those involved. Lance is small potatoes compared to the CEO's and big wigs who knew hundreds of riders were doping and said nothing because they knew theyd lose millions. This literally goes to the top.

Why would Tygart or anyone else involved in the major organizations like UCI investigate this in a REAL way, when to do so would mean blowing the whistle and exposing their own organizations criminal actions.

Make no mistake, those who knew about the doping and covered it up, deserve to be fined and prosectued and brought to trial. All of them.

These cases always go like this. Some person is made an example and the real criminals go unpunished.
  • Options
    well ... no surprise that lance wasn't going to talk ... if he was prepared to lie on oprah ... he certainly wasn't gonna come clean under oath ...

oh well ... he could do so much ...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,368
    8494454100_8c60b485bc_m.jpg
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    he's essentially suggesting that USADA widen its investigation. And thats what ive been saying from day 1.

The 60 minutes interview with Tygart after Lance confessed made clear Tygart and investigators believe essentially that cyclings doping problem is one cyclist-Lance. And that the doping of all the others on his own team, and on other teams and from other countries didnt happen.

Cycling will never get cleaned up precisely because of the corrupt nature of USADA and the UCI and the sports unwillingness to look at itself in the mirror.

Lance doped. And should be punished. But thats what I said from the start. This is so much bigger than Lance, or Bonds or Mcgwire. Those guys are figureheads and easy targets. Who the media and the sports world trots out so it doesnt have to look in the mirror and deal with the reality which is that the entire sport is corrupt and cheating.

If im Tygart or USADA or UCI, i would pray everyone stays on message and on point, because as long as the focus is on one cyclist, and he's suggested to be THE problem in the sport (meaning had he not raced the sport would have been clean all those years), then the focus wont be on those individuals on other teams who cheated and havent been punished, or those individuals who head UCI and USADA who continue to get paychecks and salaries and knowingly lied about and covered up the widespread doping in the sport.

As I said before, this happens all the time in these situations. Look at Abu Gharib. Did anyone other than lower rank soldiers serve time for their actions? As long as the focus is on those small potatoes (and lets remember after all they were bad apples in an otherwise "great group"), then we dont have to deal or wont focus on the President, and Vice President and the bosses who ordered such abuse.
  • Options
    he's essentially suggesting that USADA widen its investigation. And thats what ive been saying from day 1.

no ... in fact, he wants the scope of the investigation narrowed ... the stuff he doesn't want to give up is who helped him cover up and who helped him beat the system ... USADA wants it all ... lance doesn't want to give it up ... he just wants to focus on the part that implicates no one and simply corroborate what we already know about his teammates ... essentially putting him at no more further risk than what is already out there ...
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    The Federal Govt' going after Lance now,
    100 million dollars,..
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options