Options

Hotel Tips for Toronto etc....

Comments

• Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    shep wrote:
    you guys know about betterbidding.com?

I checked it out when I was sizing up my bids for this hotel, but it didn't help me out much.

I'm happy with what I got for the price I paid. $120 a night for a room in a 4-star hotel (no matter what room) during TIFF at Bay and Wellsley is a deal. I can get back to my hotel just as fast as anyone else... It's only an extra 2 stops or so on the TTC and most of my friends hang out in the bloor and bathurst area, so I'm going to going up that way anyway...

Normally I wouldn't even bother to book a hotel in Toronto, as I know the city very well and have a lot of friends there, but since I will be traveling with the gf, I won't be couch crashing on anyone (for the first 3 nights anyway).

yeah it can be hit or miss... usually helps with identifying a property though... or developing a strategy

no one else seems to be joining me at the westin harbour... is it ok?

maybe i'll join the greek god and just get one of him harem castoffs ;)
  • Options
    shep wrote:

I checked it out when I was sizing up my bids for this hotel, but it didn't help me out much.

I'm happy with what I got for the price I paid. $120 a night for a room in a 4-star hotel (no matter what room) during TIFF at Bay and Wellsley is a deal. I can get back to my hotel just as fast as anyone else... It's only an extra 2 stops or so on the TTC and most of my friends hang out in the bloor and bathurst area, so I'm going to going up that way anyway...

Normally I wouldn't even bother to book a hotel in Toronto, as I know the city very well and have a lot of friends there, but since I will be traveling with the gf, I won't be couch crashing on anyone (for the first 3 nights anyway).

yeah it can be hit or miss... usually helps with identifying a property though... or developing a strategy

I personally have never stayed there as I live in Toronto. I know people who have stayed there and loved it. I also know that certain hockey teams stay there as well. You won't be spending much time in the hotel anyways besides to sleep.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    shep wrote:

My parents have stayed there, they said it was really nice; however, you will pay of every extra little thing there - parking, internet, etc, etc...

They got it when they booked through hotwire for dirt cheap, but their savings got eliminated by the time they parked the car and dad had to pay for internet for work... it was like an extra $50 or 55 a day just for those 2 items.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    thanks dmb and shep

you're right i won't be there much
    i probably won't be parking a car or worrying about internet either - and the $137 is the cheapest i found... and out of the hotels i considered the westin was probably the best reviewed

i'll likely fly in sunday morning and fly out tuesday morning

i just want a decent hotel... in a good spot

with a good spot being near the venue/preparty - stumbling distance is ideal but short cab ride is fine too
  • Options
    VartVart Posts: 291
    shep wrote:

We stayed there the last time PJ played Toronto. We loved the hotel. We upgraded to a lake view room when we were checking in. The view is awesome, the hotel was clean and modern, and the staff was great. If the price wasn't so high right now we would stay there again in a heart beat.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • Options
    PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 685
    thanks dmb and shep

i probably won't be parking a car or worrying about internet either - and the $137 is the cheapest i found... and out of the hotels i considered the westin was probably the best reviewed

with a good spot being near the venue/preparty - stumbling distance is ideal but short cab ride is fine too

Thanks for posting the info about the Westin best price guarantee. Got the same deal for Sunday
    and Monday night also. Hopefully it won't be a bottom of the barrel room.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Options
    Vart wrote:
    We stayed there the last time PJ played Toronto. We loved the hotel. We upgraded to a lake view room when we were checking in. The view is awesome, the hotel was clean and modern, and the staff was great. If the price wasn't so high right now we would stay there again in a heart beat.

thanks for the info

did you see my thing about price match

$137 a night is pretty cheap??

see you there PJINFLA!!!

hey... I'll be in FLA in the morning... going to Captiva for 10 days... can't wait

fingers crossed the internet connection is good enough ... eeek!!!
  • Options
    hcnhcn Posts: 6
    shep wrote:

It's been a few years since I've stayed there but it was nice.
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    hey Mr Merkin

would you say that hotels view guests differently depending on how they booked their room/price being paid?

i always feel like hotwire/priceline gets you the bottom of the barrel room wise

true or not true?
    VERY True.

Remember that the concept of these sites, is to help Hotels unload inventory it has not been able to sell.

We treat everyone the same (service wise) but you are getting our crappiest of rooms.
    thanks
    how about slipping the desk person $20 - i always read about it being done in vegas

but wasn't sure about elsewhere
    An extra $20-$25/night will usually get an upgrade. But it's not a tip to the clerk. The Hotel gets that money. We pay THe clerk 20% of every Upsell dollar they make.

At my hotel, $25/night gets you a bigger room, more recently renovated, an LCD TV and a view. It all depends on priorities. If you room is just for crashing - That $25/night might be better spent at the Loose Moose during the pre party ;)
  • Options
    An extra $20-$25/night will usually get an upgrade. But it's not a tip to the clerk. The Hotel gets that money. We pay THe clerk 20% of every Upsell dollar they make.

At my hotel, $25/night gets you a bigger room, more recently renovated, an LCD TV and a view. It all depends on priorities. If you room is just for crashing - That $25/night might be better spent at the Loose Moose during the pre party ;)

Whoo-hoo, loose moose! I like that place, despite the beer prices...
    thanks dmb and shep

Well you definitely have what you need! I'm glad. I remember by parents saying the place was super nice. That's the great thing about Toronto, if you fly in there's absolutely no need for a car -

also, in case you didn't know: you can get the TTC from the airport all the way into downtown for a single fair. You do not need to pay the $40-50 cab fare. If you need details let me know, I can type them out.

Depending on what time you arrive during the day, the TTC can actually be faster than a cab/airport shuttle... only takes about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on your timing... It's how I always get from the airport to DT.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    For iphone4 owners: if you want Internet just use your personal hotspot
  • Options
    PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
    The Holiday Inn that used to be a Days Inn, is that the one on Carlton Street? I swear I stayed at a Days Inn in 2005. Our room was tiny as hell (end of the hall, barely had room for the beds), but didn't spend much time in it.

The Holiday Inn on Carlton doesn't seem TOO far away from the venue. I may think otherwise at midnight after the show, however.
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)
  • Options
    PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
    What about the Novotel, that also seems fairly close....
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)
  • Options
    ckokeckoke Posts: 63
    Toronto in September seems to be the toughest time for anyone coming in from out of town. Lots of the hotels were booked due to the Film Festival going on at that time.

We were to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but they were booked; it took us a couple of hours, but we found a hotel to stay at in Downtown Toronto - Maple Leaf Square.

The bad news - $500 a night for the room and $35 a night for valet. :cry:
    The Good news - The hotel is really close to the Air Canada Centre. :)
    The GREAT news - 2 nights of Pearl Jam. :D

We are extremely stoked about getting a reservation at a place so close to the arena.

Now we need to get those tickets next Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    8/25/98 - Pittsburgh
    5/20/06 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
    6/22/08 - Washington DC
    5/06/10 - Columbus
    7/02/11 - Soundgarden Toronto
    9/11/11 - Toronto
    9/12/11 - Toronto
    5/12/13 - Soundgarden Pittsburgh
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh
    7/27/14 - Soundgarden Toronto
    11/04/16 - Temple of the Dog - Upper Darby, PA
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    does anyone know what the hotels are right near the old maple leaf gardens? i think last time i saw pj in toronto at acc in 06, i booked a hotel for 2 nights, it was a big hotel near the old maple leaf gardens, and the subway walk was only half block from the hotel, and only had to take 1 subway train to acc took maybe 15 mins tops once on train. anyone have some good hotels for subway line connecting that would be cheaper than acc area hotels please post?

it sucks film fest is at same time i dont want to pay 300 a night for a room that is highway robbery, i go to vegas much times too and i always compare places to that and feel like i am getting hugely ripped off for that, id have a huge suite in vegas with what i want for that
    The Hotel beside the Maple leaf Gardens used to be the Days Inn. It just reopened last month as a new Holiday Inn. They just spent 20 million renovating the place. I had a tour their last week, and it looks nice.

The Delta Chelsea is right there as well at Yonge/Gerrard. 3 Subway stops away from the ACC.
    thanks for info you think i can ge either at atleast 200 or less a night? im hoping 150 ish with tax at most would be nice, gonna stay 3 days i think, day before pj then 2 days of pj
    hmmm maybe i can get a side job for tmz to get my $ back for the hotel rooms, if i can get some video of some big wig celebs :lol:
  • Options
    i found a good 4 or 5 hotels already seem sold out right near acc. for anyone familiar with toronto vacations alot and staying in hotels there or anyone in toronto thats knows these hotels. i narrow down to 6 hotels that look ok to stay at, which is probably the best for me to stay at you think for the acc shows, closest location to acc, or close easy for subway eating shopping etc?

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/the-wes ... ion_target

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/hilton- ... ion_target

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/delta-c ... ion_target

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/b-p-tor ... nth=2011-9

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/gs-toro ... nth=2011-9

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/hilton- ... ion_target
  • Options
    if those links dont work here the names:

The Westin Harbour Castle
    1 Harbour Square, The Harbourfront,

Delta Chelsea Hotel
    33 Gerrard Street, M5G 1Z4 Toronto

Bond Place Hotel
    65 Dundas Street East, The Village, M5B 2G8 Toronto

Grand Hotel & Suites
    225 Jarvis Street, ON M5B 2C1 Toronto

Hilton Toronto
    145 Richmond Street West, Financial District, M5H 2L2 Toronto

right now im probably leaning for hilton toronto on richmond street, is that good? i also have car probably so something easy for parking.
    hilton toronto seems reasonable priced compared to others, plus it has 600 rooms bigger than most other hotels, making me think they wont sell out for a bit yet if it does sell out and it says it has parking, and does not seem to be many major complaints by reviews

anyone have experience with any of these hotels, good or bad? maybe some are bad, but it has not been reviewed, anyone with info on these please post if you ever stay at any or anything like that too.

there is some bad reviews about grand hotel and suites, but also it got 8.2 stars i think out of 10??
  • Options
    out of those hotels im not leaning towards hilton anymore, i think i like this one better it about same price i dont get a king bed, 2 double instead, but it sounds like a better location?

Delta Chelsea Hotel

is this right near the cn rail train station too?

and what the deal with bond hotel be under renovations still or done with by time sept comes. i am picking between 1 of these 5 or 6 cause they seem like the best ones left that are not sold out. anyone stay at delta chelsea before? it has 1600 rooms guess that why they can price them a bit cheaper than some places. i going to have to pay 200 and a bit a night for room, but no way im pay 300 or 400 a night thats fucked, 1 place was already sold out i think SOHO toronto? that place was like 350 a night or somethin wit htaxes
  • Options
    and if i stay at the harborfront rd one, is there nothing within walkin distane around there? and far walk to subway station? cause i went to molson ampatheatre before and i think it was on that street?? if this the main street that faces the lake ontario? is it kind of isolated? ya i will have car but rather have it parked than drive it around town cause parking is bitch in toronto, so this hotel not good for this?

im thinking delta chelsea is the best?
  • Options
    does anyone know what the hotels are right near the old maple leaf gardens? i think last time i saw pj in toronto at acc in 06, i booked a hotel for 2 nights, it was a big hotel near the old maple leaf gardens, and the subway walk was only half block from the hotel, and only had to take 1 subway train to acc took maybe 15 mins tops once on train. anyone have some good hotels for subway line connecting that would be cheaper than acc area hotels please post?

it sucks film fest is at same time i dont want to pay 300 a night for a room that is highway robbery, i go to vegas much times too and i always compare places to that and feel like i am getting hugely ripped off for that, id have a huge suite in vegas with what i want for that
    The Hotel beside the Maple leaf Gardens used to be the Days Inn. It just reopened last month as a new Holiday Inn. They just spent 20 million renovating the place. I had a tour their last week, and it looks nice.

The Delta Chelsea is right there as well at Yonge/Gerrard. 3 Subway stops away from the ACC.
    i think i may stay at delta chelsea, its nicer too than the new holiday inn you think? and delta chelsea is maybe 230 a night with tax or so, you think holiday inn much cheaper?
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Just booked at the Intercontinental, $137.00/night. That means very short distance to stumble for me & the wife 8-)
    That's a great deal.

i tried to book this hotel but it telling me it sold out on all sites??????????
  • Options
    Alright, 2 quick comments for you 420:

If I were you, I would go with the Delta Chelsea, but that's just me.

I'm staying a little further up bay near bay and wellsey, (at the Sutton place) and from union station it only takes 10-15 minutes on the subway, probably less late at night (after the show). You can take either route from Union station and you're there in no time.

At the harbour castle, there will be some stuff around, but much less amenities (places to eat/drink) and they're going to be a lot of expensive. If you're trying to do this on a budget, all the bars and places to eat in that area are much more expensive because it's a touristy area. If you want to eat/drink more cheaply, stay close to the university of toronto... everything you could possibly imagine exists on bloor in the area around the university and there are a lot of awesome, cheap bars on both university and bathurst...

that's just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    Ok so after checking out that econolodge a bit more more i decided against :lol: . So using hotwire, and betterbidding.com i got bond place for sunday/monday night for $252 including taxes/fees. cheaper, closer, and better hotel. Hotwire says its only a 2.5 star hotel, but the reviews are a lot better. hope this helps
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    out of those hotels im not leaning towards hilton anymore, i think i like this one better it about same price i dont get a king bed, 2 double instead, but it sounds like a better location?

Delta Chelsea Hotel

and what the deal with bond hotel be under renovations still or done with by time sept comes. i am picking between 1 of these 5 or 6 cause they seem like the best ones left that are not sold out. anyone stay at delta chelsea before? it has 1600 rooms guess that why they can price them a bit cheaper than some places. i going to have to pay 200 and a bit a night for room, but no way im pay 300 or 400 a night thats fucked, 1 place was already sold out i think SOHO toronto? that place was like 350 a night or somethin wit htaxes
    The Soho is where the celebs Stay.

The Chelsea is Huge and feels like a train station - but it is in a great location and the price is good.

The Hilton is a little closer, but away from the action of Yonge St.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994

The train station is right beside the ACC. The Delta Chelsa (sp) is about a 25 min walk to the ACC (and train stn) or about an 8 min subway ride. It's a good central location too. Go south west to Queen st west for decent food and to party!
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Stayed at The Delta Chelsea in 09 and booked again for September. Place was great, a lot of things to do within walking distance...def recommend it. Tons of PJ fans were there last time. Quick 5-10 min cab ride to the Arena.
  • Options
    danndidanndi Posts: 5
    Lots of helpful info here. We are also looking at doing Montreal, before wrapping up the tour near home in Vancouver.Does anybody know if there is a thread started for Montreal hotels? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,581
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Just booked at the Intercontinental, $137.00/night. That means very short distance to stumble for me & the wife 8-)
    That's a great deal.

i tried to book this hotel but it telling me it sold out on all sites??????????

Wow, as soon I as heard the days they were coming to town I booked it, with TIFF in town and all. Thought I was lucky then.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    i just took a shot with hotwire, and ended up with the wellesley manor boutique hotel. nothing special at all, but doesn't look too terrible either. downtown, near yonge st. and right near a subway station. reviews aren't bad.. and i'm just looking for a clean place to sleep anyway. got it for $222 total for sat and sun night.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    DPrival78 wrote:
    i just took a shot with hotwire, and ended up with the wellesley manor boutique hotel. nothing special at all, but doesn't look too terrible either. downtown, near yonge st. and right near a subway station. reviews aren't bad.. and i'm just looking for a clean place to sleep anyway. got it for $222 total for sat and sun night.
    Are you just going to 1 show. I still haven't decided on a show on my birthday in Montreal or 2 shows in Toronto.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!