Options

Hotel Tips for Toronto etc....

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    pjhawks wrote:
    what's driving into toronto and the ACC like? if problems getting a hotel room in Toronto would being in Niagra Falls be too much of a pain to drive in and out of that weekend?
    Niagara Falls a long drive 1.5-2 hours or so. Driving in Toronto is tough at times. The Sep 11 show should be fine as it is on Sunday. Heavy traffic on Monday's show

thanks, see where it is 80 miles from niagra falls, thought it was a it closer. what about suburbs outside toronto, maybe between niagra falls and toronto? any you recommend? if i come i am thinking of hitting niagra falls for a day or so 1st so that is why i ask.
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    Vart wrote:
    I just booked the Novotel. It was $521 USD for three nights. I checked around and this seemed like the best deal for a hotel that isn't a complete dump. I really wanted to stay at the Westin Harbor again(got the $55 priceline deal last time), but it was over $700 for three nights.

i booked the The Westin Harbour Castle through their site for like 215 a night

then submitted a best rate guarantee thingy

i ended up with the hotel for $137.34CAD a night

you always have to look for other websites with cheaper deals!!

Are you referring to 09 or did you book it for $137 for this coming September?
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    For those concerned about walking distance to ACC, the subway comes out right there - so if your hotel isn't super close, just check if there's a subway stop near.

Seconded on MrMerkinball being a great guy!

I may have to sit these out - haven't missed a Toronto PJ show since 03, but $$ is a little tighter than what it was and I may opt for just Ottawa and Montreal which I don't have to stay overnight for.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    grjammer wrote:
    Vart wrote:
    I just booked the Novotel. It was $521 USD for three nights. I checked around and this seemed like the best deal for a hotel that isn't a complete dump. I really wanted to stay at the Westin Harbor again(got the $55 priceline deal last time), but it was over $700 for three nights.

Are you referring to 09 or did you book it for $137 for this coming September?

this coming sept

sep 11 to sep 13
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    what's driving into toronto and the ACC like? if problems getting a hotel room in Toronto would being in Niagra Falls be too much of a pain to drive in and out of that weekend?

No not at all. It is only an hour drive to toronto from niagara falls. 128km or roughly 64 minutes
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks wrote:
    [thanks, see where it is 80 miles from niagra falls, thought it was a it closer. what about suburbs outside toronto, maybe between niagra falls and toronto? any you recommend? if i come i am thinking of hitting niagra falls for a day or so 1st so that is why i ask.

it's a trade off ... if you stay in the city ... lots more to see and do ... if you stay further away - it can become more suburban like ... if you are near a subway or go station ... it's the best way to get to and from the concert although i'm not sure the go schedule late at night ... definitely taking public transit is the way to go for the concert ...
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,581
    Just booked at the Intercontinental, $137.00/night. That means very short distance to stumble for me & the wife 8-)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Just booked at the Intercontinental, $137.00/night. That means very short distance to stumble for me & the wife 8-)

Not bad at all. The one on front street next to the mtcc?
  • Options
    VartVart Posts: 291
    Vart wrote:

Is the "best rate guarantee thingy" on the Westin Harbor website? I'm not seeing it if it is.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    BLACK35 wrote:
    That's a great deal.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    pjhawks wrote:

driving into toronto can really suck.

the traffic doesn't personally bother me (most of the time anyways), but some people freak out over it, and can't handle it. it can be bad at times.

personally i probably wouldn't stay at the falls because you're going to be wasting to much time driving back and forth. you also have to take the price of gas into the equation. its only going to be more expensive in sept. and for those americans who are coming, if you think your gas is expensive... well... let me just say you won't be bitching anymore. (don't get fooled by the low looking price. a litre is alot less than a gallon! :lol: )

also, niagra falls is an awesome city if you haven't been there. for those who are traveling from far away and haven't been there and are willing to take an extra day, i highly suggest doing it. its probably my most favourite place to go party. its a money trap though. it won't be cheap for those that do want to go.

i never go there to do the touristy crap because i go there all the time. i just like to get high and drunk, wonder the streets, gamble a bit, and see some world class strippers at the downer.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

driving into toronto can really suck.

the traffic doesn't personally bother me (most of the time anyways), but some people freak out over it, and can't handle it. it can be bad at times.

personally i probably wouldn't stay at the falls because you're going to be wasting to much time driving back and forth. you also have to take the price of gas into the equation. its only going to be more expensive in sept. and for those americans who are coming, if you think your gas is expensive... well... let me just say you won't be bitching anymore. (don't get fooled by the low looking price. a litre is alot less than a gallon! :lol: )

also, niagra falls is an awesome city if you haven't been there. for those who are traveling from far away and haven't been there and are willing to take an extra day, i highly suggest doing it. its probably my most favourite place to go party. its a money trap though. it won't be cheap for those that do want to go.

i never go there to do the touristy crap because i go there all the time. i just like to get high and drunk, wonder the streets, gamble a bit, and see some world class strippers at the downer.
    ahhhh The Sundowner - now that brings me back ;)
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Niagara Falls a long drive 1.5-2 hours or so. Driving in Toronto is tough at times. The Sep 11 show should be fine as it is on Sunday. Heavy traffic on Monday's show

thanks, see where it is 80 miles from niagra falls, thought it was a it closer. what about suburbs outside toronto, maybe between niagra falls and toronto? any you recommend? if i come i am thinking of hitting niagra falls for a day or so 1st so that is why i ask.

Hey there. There are many places you can stay. Just gotta weight the pros and cons.

1) You can stay in Burlington or Hamilton and drive in easily or take the Go Train to and from the venue. Last train leaves downtown around 12:45am.

2) You can also stay in Mississauga. Look here you can get a 2.5* Hilton for $70 - http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/hote ... 2&plf=PCLN

You can drive downtown or drive to the subway station and take the sunway in. It's not close to downtown, but cheap for the proximity.

3) You can stay a bit west or north of downtown. Very good public transportation from any of those areas.

4) Or just book downtown. It's expensive, but like the guy said above book the hotel and worry about tix later. Tix will be easy.

I wouldn't drive to and from Niagara in 1 night. I mean I drive from Toronto to Buffalo and back in a night, but that's b/c Buffalo's a shithole : )
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    Nah, I don't drive to Toronto anymore either. It's not so much the drive itself and my driving skills, it's the sucky ass traffic jams I encounter 15 miles within the city's border. What should only be about 15 mins from my destination is an hour of bumper to bumper traffic. Hell no... I'm taking the train baby from Windsor.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,567
    I'm booked at the Hilton in Toronto for two nights - never been to Canada before so I'm looking forward to it. We'll also be hitting up Niagara Falls for one night on the way up. May also hit up a Blue Jays game while we're at it that weekend.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    I used Hotwire today and got a pretty good deal at the Sheraton on Queen St.
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    Vart wrote:
    Vart wrote:

Is the "best rate guarantee thingy" on the Westin Harbor website? I'm not seeing it if it is.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/index.html
  • Options
    and the site i pricematched to was getaroom.com

good luck!!
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,581
    BLACK35 wrote:

Not bad at all. The one on front street next to the mtcc?

Yes it is
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    I'm booked at the Hilton in Toronto for two nights - never been to Canada before so I'm looking forward to it. We'll also be hitting up Niagara Falls for one night on the way up. May also hit up a Blue Jays game while we're at it that weekend.
    The Jays are in town that weekend against Baltimore. Actually - Sunday Jay game at 1pm, walk to the preparty, then to the ACC.

That's top shelf
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    The Jays are in town that weekend against Baltimore. Actually - Sunday Jay game at 1pm, walk to the preparty, then to the ACC.

That's top shelf

except it's the blue jays and orioles in september ... they'll both be way out of the race and we'll be watching AA guys ;)

and is that place still indoors? who wants to watch baseball indoors?

is the beer cheap?? that was the only redeeming thing about seeing an expos game ;)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    GP179117 wrote:
    I used Hotwire today and got a pretty good deal at the Sheraton on Queen St.

can u provide hotwire details? area, star rating etc??? thanks
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    I just snagged the Sutton place hotel via priceline for $120/night Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. (staying Monday night, but the gf is going back home monday, so I'm crashing at my buddies place).

Sutton place is a 4 star hotel at the corner of bay and bloor (not a bad location at all, there is a subway stop directly beneth it). Only about a 10 minute ride from Union station (ACC). It's in the Toronto Downtown North category....

Just an FYI for anyone interested. Came to 420 (with taxes and fees included - remember there is a 12 or 13 perecent tax in Ontario) total for 3 nights in a 4 star hotel... thought it was a pretty decent deal - the girlfriend didn't want to go below a 3 star....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    on2legs wrote:

That's top shelf

except it's the blue jays and orioles in september ... they'll both be way out of the race and we'll be watching AA guys ;)

and is that place still indoors? who wants to watch baseball indoors?

is the beer cheap?? that was the only redeeming thing about seeing an expos game ;)

It is a dome stadium with a retractable roof. And to answer your question, you want to watch baseball inside when it has a propensity to snow in the first month of the season.

Beer ain't cheap in Rogers Centre (formally Skydome). At all.

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2010/04/acid-flashback-friday-1977s-home-opener.html
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    TORONTO HOTEL BOOKED..NEXT TO BLACK DIAMOND ROOM.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    That price for the sutton is pretty good!! Well done!
  • Options
    EL177913EL177913 Posts: 220
    grjammer wrote:
    Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about booking at the Novotel...it looks relatively close and the rate is not bad right now...

I got a package of 3 nights at Novotel and round trip flight for 850 from Providence, RI. I though that was damn good!
    1992: 8/7 Mansfield MA
    2000: 8/29 Mansfield MA
    2004: 9/28+29 Boston MA, 10/1 Reading PA, 10/6 Asheville NC, 10/8 Kissimmee FL
    2005: 9/15 Montreal, 9/16 Ottawa,ON 9/22 Halifax Nova Scotia, p9/24+25 St Johns, Newfoundland
    2006: 5/12 Albany NY, 5/13 Hartford CT, 5/24+ 25 Boston MA, 5/27+28 Camden NJ
    2008: 6/28+30 Mansfield MA, 8/2 EV Boston MA
    2009: 10/30+ 31 Philly
    2010: 5/15 Hartford CT, 5/17 Boston MA
    2011: 9/3+4 PJ20, Alpine Valley WI, 6/15 EV Providence RI, 6/16 EV Boston MA
    2013: 7/19 Chicago, 10/15+16 Worcester MA, 10/25 Hartford CT
    2014: 10/19 St Paul MN
    2016: (5/1+2 MSG, 8/5+7 Fenway)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    TORONTO HOTEL BOOKED..NEXT TO BLACK DIAMOND ROOM.. 8-)

seems like they up'd it from $120 thou....
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up! I've taken care of airfare and was going to hold off on the room for a couple of months, but just went ahead and booked right now. It doesn't seem like there are any deals out there, but there are a ton of rooms that are regularly priced right now. I doubt they will be regularly priced for long, though. Good luck!
  • Options
    chico mendeschico mendes halifax to the max Posts: 12
    I remember. The preparty in '09 was pretty damn good.[/quote]

lots of irish carbombs