The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    imalive wrote:
    DC came over last night and we watched hayward go 1 for 17 :fp:

at least BY-fucking-U lost :mrgreen:

he totally killed my this week in my H2H league ...

sad to see rose out again ... damn ... time for bulls to trade deng and noah and build on next year's draft ...
  • Are my Blazers actually for real??!
    NERDS!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    imalive wrote:
    kobe would rather have money than another ring :lol:

FTL
    You can buy lots of rings with $49M. :geek:

Finishing with the Lakers is the right move. Legacy is more important then another ring.
    Are my Blazers actually for real??!

yes ... they've put together a real team - everyone knows their roles there ... they play unselfishly and they've been together for a relatively long period now as a unit ... and they are young ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Jason P wrote:

Finishing with the Lakers is the right move. Legacy is more important then another ring.

I'd like to shoot the person who first used "legacy" in regard to athletes :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_x wrote:

yes ... they've put together a real team - everyone knows their roles there ... they play unselfishly and they've been together for a relatively long period now as a unit ... and they are young ...

I agree, but the two biggest factors were the huge upgrading of the bench and the fact that we're making shots. We've always taken good shots and played smart I thought, we just didn't shoot well. Looks like the off season has helped out a lot.
    NERDS!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    Holy crap i didn't realize how bad the Eastern Conference is. Only TWO teams with records over .500? :shock:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • polaris_x wrote:

I agree, but the two biggest factors were the huge upgrading of the bench and the fact that we're making shots. We've always taken good shots and played smart I thought, we just didn't shoot well. Looks like the off season has helped out a lot.
    I remember the glory days of Clyde, Kersey, Porter, & Buck. Always enjoyed watching the Blazers when I was a kid. It's good to see them get back to winning again. That game against my Pacers last week was one of the best basketball games I've seen in years.
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Holy crap i didn't realize how bad the Eastern Conference is. Only TWO teams with records over .500? :shock:

Yes, especially the Atlantic division is a joke.
    Just compare the record of Eastern and Western 8th spots.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    jumbojet wrote:

Yes, especially the Atlantic division is a joke.
    Just compare the record of Eastern and Western 8th spots.

my jazz might compete in the east! :think:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Why why why will the Bulls not trade Deng???? Makes absolutely no sense.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... -luol-deng
    Why why why will the Bulls not trade Deng???? Makes absolutely no sense.

i think because:
    1. it's hard to commit to a tank ... especially in the Eastern conference where they would have to lose a lot of games against other teams trying to lose a lot of games ... plus, they made that run last year without rose and the team just has too many veterans too go full on tank (boozer, noah, etc.)

2. deng is an expiring contract with a huge salary ... in order to trade him - the bulls will need to get that much back in salary and and would likely want a first rounder ... that's a huge ask right now ... as you can see with the Asik discussions ... first rounders aren't being tossed around like candy ... i'm not sure they think there is a market there that would give the bulls what they would want

3. they have two first round picks next year ... this team obviously assumes d. rose will be back and that they aren't on a 3 year rebuild ... w

basically, if they sit on deng and make the playoffs or not make the playoffs - they are still in a win now situation ... if rose comes back healthy ... they have 2 first round picks next year AND cap space ... they can put a contending team relatively easily ... the only real benefit to trading deng is if you can ensure you'll finish near the bottom ... hard to do that when there are so many other teams tanking and your roster is full of veterans ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    Why why why will the Bulls not trade Deng???? Makes absolutely no sense.

i think because:
    1. it's hard to commit to a tank ... especially in the Eastern conference where they would have to lose a lot of games against other teams trying to lose a lot of games ... plus, they made that run last year without rose and the team just has too many veterans too go full on tank (boozer, noah, etc.)

2. deng is an expiring contract with a huge salary ... in order to trade him - the bulls will need to get that much back in salary and and would likely want a first rounder ... that's a huge ask right now ... as you can see with the Asik discussions ... first rounders aren't being tossed around like candy ... i'm not sure they think there is a market there that would give the bulls what they would want

3. they have two first round picks next year ... this team obviously assumes d. rose will be back and that they aren't on a 3 year rebuild ... w

basically, if they sit on deng and make the playoffs or not make the playoffs - they are still in a win now situation ... if rose comes back healthy ... they have 2 first round picks next year AND cap space ... they can put a contending team relatively easily ... the only real benefit to trading deng is if you can ensure you'll finish near the bottom ... hard to do that when there are so many other teams tanking and your roster is full of veterans ...

Teams are interested in Deng…other teams have been contacting the Bulls regarding his availability so his salary is not an issue. It's the Bulls that do not want to trade him for some odd reason.

I get that it is hard to tank in the East, but it has become pretty clear that it is time for the Bulls to rebuild. This core group of guys has never been healthy for a long stretch of time and they cannot keep waiting for that to happen. Plus, who knows how Rose is going to be when he comes back. I know he's young, but guys usually aren't the same coming off of 2 major knee surgeries.

And the Bulls are not guaranteed 2 first round picks next year. Only if that Bobcats pick is outside the top 10. I think in 2016 that pick is no longer protected so hopefully the Bobcats keep on sucking. Overall, the Bulls are a fucking mess right now.
    Teams are interested in Deng…other teams have been contacting the Bulls regarding his availability so his salary is not an issue. It's the Bulls that do not want to trade him for some odd reason.

I get that it is hard to tank in the East, but it has become pretty clear that it is time for the Bulls to rebuild. This core group of guys has never been healthy for a long stretch of time and they cannot keep waiting for that to happen. Plus, who knows how Rose is going to be when he comes back. I know he's young, but guys usually aren't the same coming off of 2 major knee surgeries.

And the Bulls are not guaranteed 2 first round picks next year. Only if that Bobcats pick is outside the top 10. I think in 2016 that pick is no longer protected so hopefully the Bobcats keep on sucking. Overall, the Bulls are a fucking mess right now.

but what are they gonna offer that will help the bulls? ... doubt they are tossing a first rounder ... and if so - what pick is that gonna be?

the bobcats (gasp) are gonna make the playoffs this year ... their pick will for sure fall outside the top 10 because of that ...

i hear ya tho ... i want the same thing for the raptors ... it just doesn't work if there is a bunch of teams all trying to do the same thing ... you have limited trading partners ... it's not like someone is gonna give you an early round first rounder ... all you're gonna get is other expiring contracts but more likely from 2 or 3 guys and a late first rounder maybe not till 2016 ...

if you aren't gonna get a decent first rounder - you might as well hold on to him and see what you can do with the cap space ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

but what are they gonna offer that will help the bulls? ... doubt they are tossing a first rounder ... and if so - what pick is that gonna be?

the bobcats (gasp) are gonna make the playoffs this year ... their pick will for sure fall outside the top 10 because of that ...

i hear ya tho ... i want the same thing for the raptors ... it just doesn't work if there is a bunch of teams all trying to do the same thing ... you have limited trading partners ... it's not like someone is gonna give you an early round first rounder ... all you're gonna get is other expiring contracts but more likely from 2 or 3 guys and a late first rounder maybe not till 2016 ...

if you aren't gonna get a decent first rounder - you might as well hold on to him and see what you can do with the cap space ...

I know teams aren't throwing 1st round picks into trades as much anymore. But it just feels like the Bulls should be able to get something decent for Deng. And it's not just the thing with Deng that is driving me nuts. They just need to blow the whole thing up. This core group of guys (Rose, Boozer, Noah, Deng, etc..) didn't get it done and it's pretty clear that isn't going to happen in the future. I just want to see them do something instead of being mediocre and not getting into the lottery which is the worst spot an NBA team can be in.

We'll see about the Bobcats…I have faith they will return to form and get back to the bottom of the standings where they belong. But with this pathetic eastern conference, I can see them getting in. Was always hoping that first round pick of theirs that the Bulls have rights to would have been a lottery pick one day.
    I know teams aren't throwing 1st round picks into trades as much anymore. But it just feels like the Bulls should be able to get something decent for Deng. And it's not just the thing with Deng that is driving me nuts. They just need to blow the whole thing up. This core group of guys (Rose, Boozer, Noah, Deng, etc..) didn't get it done and it's pretty clear that isn't going to happen in the future. I just want to see them do something instead of being mediocre and not getting into the lottery which is the worst spot an NBA team can be in.

We'll see about the Bobcats…I have faith they will return to form and get back to the bottom of the standings where they belong. But with this pathetic eastern conference, I can see them getting in. Was always hoping that first round pick of theirs that the Bulls have rights to would have been a lottery pick one day.

for sure ... definitely feel the same way about the raptors ... blow it up ... but it's just hard now with so many teams on that same route ...

there might be 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs in the eastern conference with a sub .500 record ... :fp: :fp: ... worst league for parity next to baseball i say ...
    new Hornets logo :thumbup:

charlotte-hornets-new-logo-2.png
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just when I thought I couldn't hate the Heat anymore, they go and do something like this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1914559-miami-heat-reveal-nicknames-on-jerseys-for-every-player-on-roster
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    hi
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,842
    The NBA really needs to change something up because this discrepancy between the East and the West (that's been going on for 15 years) has gotten to be too ridiculous. Right now, the Hawks are sitting in the 8th seed in the East with a record of 32-41 while Phoenix, Dallas, and Memphis are tied at the 7th, 8th, and 9th spots in the West with a 44-30 record. One of them isn't making it. Boston is the 5th seed in the East with 39 wins while nobody in the top 9 in the West have less than 44 wins. So dumb.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Indiana head coach Frank Vogel is going to sit all five starters for tonight's game against the Bucks ... is he daring Larry Bird to fire him?
    I think the basketball gods are punishing Indiana for trading Danny Granger to the Sixers while they were good odds to win a championship. That's just bad karma.
    Jason P said:

I think the basketball gods are punishing Indiana for trading Danny Granger to the Sixers while they were good odds to win a championship. That's just bad karma.

gotta do something ... they've looked horrible ... hibbert is playing like he is 50 years old
    Huh. The Pacers won and took the #1 seed lead by sitting all their starters.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2013 / 14 Milwaukee Bucks!!!
    This might be the first year that neither the lakers, celtics, Knicks, and sixers didn't make the playoffs.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    I just saw that Gilbert Arenas is the 3rd highest paid NBA player and 30th overall in the world at $22M. And he hasn't played in 2 years! And he gets another $22M next year!

Also, it is not a good sign that Phillies management is any good at contract negotiations if I've never heard of Cole Hamels and he is in this list. Granted I don't watch a ton of baseball, but I'm fully aware of everyone else on that list.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    Jason P said:

I just saw that Gilbert Arenas is the 3rd highest paid NBA player and 30th overall in the world at $22M. And he hasn't played in 2 years! And he gets another $22M next year!

Also, it is not a good sign that Phillies management is any good at contract negotiations if I've never heard of Cole Hamels and he is in this list. Granted I don't watch a ton of baseball, but I'm fully aware of everyone else on that list.

Cole Hamels won MVP in the 2008 World Series. I think he won MVP in 2008 for the National League Championship Series too.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,842
    Jason P said:

I've never heard of Cole Hamels and he is in this list. Granted I don't watch a ton of baseball, but I'm fully aware of everyone else on that list.

So you've heard of Jenson Button and you've never heard of Cole Hamels? The fuck?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited April 2014

Jason P said:

I've never heard of Cole Hamels and he is in this list. Granted I don't watch a ton of baseball, but I'm fully aware of everyone else on that list.

So you've heard of Jenson Button and you've never heard of Cole Hamels? The fuck?
    Tis strange but I'm a fan of open wheel racing. But I swear if someone asked me who Cole was before I researched his name, I would have guessed he raced NASCAR.

It appears he had a hot October and reaped the financial rewards.
    Post edited by Jason P on