The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think if you're talking sheer basketball ability there are several players better than Lebron, but when you figure in his freak athleticism it's tough for me to say that anybody outside of Jordan can top James. I think the guy's a douche and will enjoy rooting against him for the next decade, during which hopefully Durant can overtake him as the best player in the league.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,842
    pjhawks wrote:
    [
    Alright fine but what everything else I wrote? Actually don't bother with it. We'll just agree to disagree.

the only other thing you referred to was Kobe in 2010 game 7. yes he shot poorly but he was the leading scorer and leading rebounder in the game for either team and ended up with 23 points and 15 rebounds.

no problem agreeing to disagree I just wanted to know why you thought Lebron was clearly better than Kobe and Bird. it's all good.

But if Lebron had that same game 7 as Kobe did a few years ago, I think you'd be on his case for it. Not just you, many people would. I wouldn't. I'd say (as I said for Kobe at the time), "Well he got them there. You can't fault him for having teammates that could pick him up when he's playing like shit."

But...to each their own.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Lebron ain't got no worries
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    pjhawks wrote:
    [
    Alright fine but what everything else I wrote? Actually don't bother with it. We'll just agree to disagree.

the only other thing you referred to was Kobe in 2010 game 7. yes he shot poorly but he was the leading scorer and leading rebounder in the game for either team and ended up with 23 points and 15 rebounds.

no problem agreeing to disagree I just wanted to know why you thought Lebron was clearly better than Kobe and Bird. it's all good.

But if Lebron had that same game 7 as Kobe did a few years ago, I think you'd be on his case for it. Not just you, many people would. I wouldn't. I'd say (as I said for Kobe at the time), "Well he got them there. You can't fault him for having teammates that could pick him up when he's playing like shit."

But...to each their own.

I think the reason people get on Lebron in these situations (besides the decision fiasco) is because so many are already trying to proclaim him the greatest ever (and even better than guys like Bird ;) ) already, long before his career has played out. so when one side makes claims the other side has to respond (like I did). Lebron may end up being better than Jordan (although right now I don't see that happening) but I don't get proclaiming it just yet because as of yet I don't find it to be true.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    better than bird

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,842
    norm wrote:
    better than bird

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dude, it's not THAT far-fetched. Take away your fuzzy feelings for Bird (and hey, I have them too) and ignore the fact that for your entire life you've felt that Larry Bird is a basketball god (which he is), and just compare one player to the other. Is Bird at his best better than Lebron at his best? Yeah I guess so. But Bird played at his super high level for like 8 years before injuries wore him down. Lebron's played a his super high level from the moment he entered the league. And I know Bird had way more success in his first 8 years than Lebron did, but Cleveland didn't exactly have McHale, Parish, and Dennis Johnson. If Lebron retired today, I guess Bird would have had the better career. But in 5 years, it won't even be close. He'll be up at the Kareem/MJ level by then. All I'm saying is you can agree or disagree but it's not a statement that warrants eight laughing smiley faces. Maybe one laughing smiley face. But not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven....
    pjhawks wrote:
    I think the reason people get on Lebron in these situations (besides the decision fiasco) is because so many are already trying to proclaim him the greatest ever (and even better than guys like Bird ;) ) already, long before his career has played out. so when one side makes claims the other side has to respond (like I did). Lebron may end up being better than Jordan (although right now I don't see that happening) but I don't get proclaiming it just yet because as of yet I don't find it to be true.

Yeah I totally get this because I very much disliked Lebron for the same reasons. Televising his high school games? Get this shit of ESPN. The Chosen One? King James? Wearing #23? Who does this guy think he is? I was a hater. Straight-up. Not just of the coverage of him but of his game....calling him overrated and stuff like that. This game against the Pistons in 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU) changed my thought on the whole overrated thing. I realized that this guy was this good. Still, I didn't like him....until....

I think I stand as the only person that BECAME a Lebron fan after The Decision. Not because I thought it was cool. It was pretentious and self-serving and whatever else ya wanna call it. But then...the whole world turned on him. And for what? Changing basketball teams? And look, I get cheering against athletes ya don't like. But so many people seemed to take on full-hatred of this guy. Because he changed teams? Fuck that. It was a microcosm of the world we live in today. People WANT to hate people. And I'm not talking about guys like you that just disagree on a basketball argument about him. I'm talking about the people who actively, obsessively hate the guy. And strangely, there's a lot of them. So I began taking a bit of pleasure in watching him make those people upset with his good basketball playing. lol...reread that, there are actually people that get truly upset over some guy's basketball playing. Crazy.

i haven't had a favorite NBA team since the 2003 Blazers (where Pippen went, I went). So now I like the Heat. That doesn't' necessarily mean I cheer for them. I was pulling for the Spurs last night and I cheered for Dirk and co. in 2010. But win or lose, I like them. Whether they're being full-of-themselves assholes or gracious champions, I like them. I like Spo. I like Birdman. I like their bandwagon fans. I guess I just like watching the Miami Heat. And it's because of Lebron.

And as for Jordan, I can't even compare them. I was an obsessed teenage basketball fan during his run and can't even put it into proper perspective. Lebron can cure AIDs and I don't think I'd find it as impressive as beating the Jazz while fighting the flu. The only fair Lebron vs. MJ comparisons will be done by future generations that didn't see either play and have no emotional attachment (or hatred, in Lebron's case) for either guy. Those people can watch the films and decide for themselves. Me? When I was 10 years old, I actually called up AM radio stations looking for Birmingham Barons games to listen to. So you know where my allegiance lies.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Just to chime in, all I really want to say on it is that comparing is kind of pointless.

LeBron is LeBron, and at the end of his career he will have his own accomplishments to stand next to.

Let's take a look:

2 Olympic Gold Medals
    2× NBA champion (2012–2013)
    2× NBA Finals MVP (2012–2013)
    4× NBA Most Valuable Player (2009–2010, 2012–2013)
    9× NBA All-Star (2005–2013)
    2× NBA All-Star Game MVP (2006, 2008)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (2004)
    NBA scoring champion (2008)
    7× All-NBA First Team (2006, 2008–2013)
    2× All-NBA Second Team (2005, 2007)
    5× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2009–2013)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (2004)
    USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2012)
    Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year (2012)
    Cleveland Cavaliers all-time leading scorer
    Naismith Prep Player of the Year (2003)
    3× Ohio Mr. Basketball (2001–2003)
    2× Consensus National H.S. Player of the Year (2002–2003)

Of course, the comparisons will never end. Each great player is great because they've built their own legacy. LeBron is doing that as we speak. He deserves to be recognized solely by himself. The Jordan comparisons are just the everlasting crutch for non-LeBron fans to use. It's a waste of breath.

Looking at Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Duncan, and their list of accomplishments, they're all just as impressive and pride-worthy. But they are impressive because they're unique to that player.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    Either way if would've been a dog and pony show?

But, it did raise a lot of money for a good cause:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/8/155987 ... t-ad-sales
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    cutz wrote:
    Either way if would've been a dog and pony show?

But, it did raise a lot of money for a good cause:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/8/155987 ... t-ad-sales

That is actually the first I've heard of that part.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    pjhawks »end of the game, one shot for an NBA Championship i'm taking Jordan, Bird and Kobe all before LeBron. in my eyes of those 4 Lebron has the best chance of bricking that winning shot.

What about Big Shot Bob?(Robert Horry)> :lol:
  • the Decision....But then...the whole world turned on him. And for what? Changing basketball teams? And look, I get cheering against athletes ya don't like. But so many people seemed to take on full-hatred of this guy. Because he changed teams? Fuck that. It was a microcosm of the world we live in today. People WANT to hate people. And I'm not talking about guys like you that just disagree on a basketball argument about him. I'm talking about the people who actively, obsessively hate the guy. And strangely, there's a lot of them.

Yes.
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    So how pathetic do the Lakers look begging Dwight Howard to re-sign?? I really don't get why teams are going nuts over Howard. Yes, he's a great talent and one of the best big men in the league. But he has proven to be a coach killer and has never won anything.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    So how pathetic do the Lakers look begging Dwight Howard to re-sign?? I really don't get why teams are going nuts over Howard. Yes, he's a great talent and one of the best big men in the league. But he has proven to be a coach killer and has never won anything.
    His ego poisons locker rooms. I don't think his production can offset that, plus he eats up a lot of cap space.
  • No CoderNo Coder Posts: 1,126
    Jason P wrote:
    His ego poisons locker rooms. I don't think his production can offset that, plus he eats up a lot of cap space.
    Physically, there is no argument - Howard is a Beast.
    Mentally though is another case. Could you imagine how good this guy would be if he had half the drive of MJ and Kobe. He just does not seem to care and wants to be pandered too. The guy has been in the league for years now and he still hasn't developed a reliable mid range jumper or go to shot away from the basket. I'm not even going to go near his free throws (he isn't the first big man to have major issues there).

I can't see him resigning with the Lakers- he wants to be the Star and while ever Kobe is there, he will play second fiddle. And after this season's disaster, why would they want him. If the Warriors are serious about a Sign and Trade, I think the Lakers would be nuts not to take it. Bogut has worked his way back from injury and played great ball in the playoffs. And Harrison Barnes is going to be a VERY SOLID SF for years to come. A starting 5 for the Lakers of Bogut, Pau, HBarnes, Kobe and Nash is very good. Just need to pick up a better back up at PG and they would be a lot better than this year. I know Bogut doesn't really suit the Coaches style, but he does fit better with the players on the team- he just wants to win and will play defence and set screens without caring who is getting touches. At least this way the Lakers get something out of the bad experiment last year.

Personally I think he will go the Rockets though.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Brad Stevens was a sly great move by Ainge IMO! Will pay off few years down the road.

Build through Lottery first few years ** Cough NBA fixes draft lottery for Wiggins to wear Celtics Green cough cough**

Sign a few free agents.... Back in business.

I'd trade Rondo to highest bidder.. Might as well drain the swamp completely. lakers should follow suit, but their current leadership minus the late great Buss, are too stupid to realize it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Brad Stevens was a sly great move by Ainge IMO! Will pay off few years down the road.

Build through Lottery first few years ** Cough NBA fixes draft lottery for Wiggins to wear Celtics Green cough cough**

I'd trade Rondo to highest bidder.. Might as well drain the swamp completely. lakers should follow suit, but their current leadership minus the late great Buss, are too stupid to realize it.

yeah i think it's a great move for them.
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

I think Pete Maravich had "Pistol" on the back of his jersey at one time.

Did "DR. J ?
  • He expects them to retire his jersey??? This guys an even bigger idiot than I thought.... :fp:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98342 ... -12-jersey
  • No CoderNo Coder Posts: 1,126
    He expects them to retire his jersey??? This guys an even bigger idiot than I thought.... :fp:

It's a real shame this guy doesn't have the maturity to reach his full potential. For his body and athleticism, he should be dominating EVERY night, but in all the years he has been in the NBA he has never worked on a reliable shot enough, nor had his head in the game every night.
    If you could put Kobe/MJ/TD's brain inside this guy, he could be been the best C ever.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • No Coder wrote:
    He expects them to retire his jersey??? This guys an even bigger idiot than I thought.... :fp:

It's a real shame this guy doesn't have the maturity to reach his full potential. For his body and athleticism, he should be dominating EVERY night, but in all the years he has been in the NBA he has never worked on a reliable shot enough, nor had his head in the game every night.
    If you could put Kobe/MJ/TD's brain inside this guy, he could be been the best C ever.
    Exactly. He's the equivalent of Johnny Football in the NBA. Just a supremely talented douche.
    NERDS!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    CROJAM95 wrote:

yeah i think it's a great move for them.

lots of teams tanking this year ... it's gonna get ridiculous to see who tanks the worst ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Allen Iverson retired yesterday.

Allen Iverson earned more then $200 million over his career.

Today, I have more money then Allen Iverson. :geek:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Jason P wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: or :( :( :( I don't know which.

so, I switch away from baseball last night (disgusted) to check in with my utah jazz.

jazz go 20 of 30 from the line. durant alone is 22-24. there's your ballgame. jazz lose by 3 :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • New 30 For 30 documentary about the biggest game of the last twenty years:

http://screen.yahoo.com/sketchy/30-30-s ... 08766.html

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone watch the KU / Duke game last night? ... both wiggins and parker look great ... lots of teams tanking as the draft is gonna be pretty deep ...
    jazz win #1

point guard from the d-league saves the day :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    DC came over last night and we watched hayward go 1 for 17 :fp:

at least BY-fucking-U lost :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    Jason P wrote:

he's got an offshore account worth about $50,000,000 that he can't touch till he's 50 or something.

look at you!
    www.myspace.com
    kobe would rather have money than another ring :lol:

FTL

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11