The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    81 wrote:
    that's a nice KY article. :thumbup:

Definitely, and much nicer than the future articles discussing the recruiting rules they broke to get a title and subsequent punishment.

In a somewhat related note. Watching ESPN the other day they were previewing some draft coverage coming up on SC and one of the anchors used the line "THE BROW IS NOW!!!!!) That's probably the most entertaining thing I've heard on that show in a long time.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    81 wrote:
    can somebody explain the reasoning behind this move?

:fp:
    NEW YORK – NBA commissioner David Stern has punished the Oklahoma City Thunder, ordering them to send a future draft pick to the Boston Celtics as compensation for the heart problems that Jeff Green suffered with the Celtics, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oklahoma City will send Boston the 2013 second-round pick that it controls from Charlotte. Expected to be the worst team in the league again, Charlotte's pick will likely be the 31st overall.

After Green had season-ending surgery for an aortic aneurysm in December, Boston's doctors constructed a case to take to the NBA trying to show proof that Oklahoma City owed the Celtics some kind of compensation, sources said. The Thunder had traded Green to the Celtics in February of 2011 as part of a package for center Kendrick Perkins.

Green missed the 2011-'12 season with the condition, but plans a comeback this year. Green will be a free agent, and Boston has shown interest in re-signing him.

I get the point "We traded him, now it's not our problem", but that's a little shady at best and scummy at worst to trade a guy away like that. It's definitely on Boston to do their research, I just think don't think that type of shit should even be part of the game.
    I don't necessarily agree with a punishment and the one they got was pretty wack. I think the most fucked up part is how Boston gets a pick that OKC got in a separate deal, instead of OKC's actual pick in the 50s.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DewieCox wrote:
    I get the point "We traded him, now it's not our problem", but that's a little shady at best and scummy at worst to trade a guy away like that. It's definitely on Boston to do their research, I just think don't think that type of shit should even be part of the game.
    I don't necessarily agree with a punishment and the one they got was pretty wack. I think the most fucked up part is how Boston gets a pick that OKC got in a separate deal, instead of OKC's actual pick in the 50s.

makes zero sense to me.

green would have had to pass a boston physical when the trade went down....

he played last year for boston

i don't get it....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I'm enjoying the crowd booing Stern every time he comes out to read a pick.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm enjoying the crowd booing Stern every time he comes out to read a pick.
    :thumbup: :clap: Well deserved.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    if it means the return of the devil horns i'm game :lol:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I hate the off season because I miss watching Jazz games, but on the flip-side I do enjoy the free-agency fiasco.

Sick of hearing about Dwight. Make a decision and fucking stick with it dude.

Nets could potentially have Dwight, Deron, and Joe Johnson next season. Those would be some nice pick-ups.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,145
    As a Nets fan, this week will be torture!!!

They could end up with either an Eastern Conference contendar or a 25 win team depending on the Dwight trade scenario and Deron Williams' free agency.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    I'm very curious to see what Steve Nash is going to do.

Toronto didn't waste any time.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    some of these offers are nuts

Asik 3/25M :fp:

Roy Hibbert has two max deal offers although he only averaged 12.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and two blocks a game last season. :fp: Max deals should go to players like lebron, rose, durrant....not second tier players :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Roy Hibbert has two max deal offers although he only averaged 12.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and two blocks a game last season. :fp: Max deals should go to players like lebron, rose, durrant....not second tier players :fp:

This is just supporting the observation that too many of these GM's make bad contract offers. It's only a matter of time until Rashard Lewis is eclipsed by another player with a huge contract that he's not worth.

7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yep, this guy is a complete asshole. I don't think it's possible for him to have handled this situation any worse.
    81 wrote:

You think the Bulls match it? Common sense would say "hell no", but they always talk about how much the bulls love Asik. I don't really get the love for him. Decent defensive player and rebounder, but has ZERO offensive game....the guy can barely dribble. Should be interesting to see what happens here...
    81 wrote:

You think the Bulls match it? Common sense would say "hell no", but they always talk about how much the bulls love Asik. I don't really get the love for him. Decent defensive player and rebounder, but has ZERO offensive game....the guy can barely dribble. Should be interesting to see what happens here...

at that sort of cash....i wouldn't match....way to much for a guy that only plays 1/4 of the game

dude has absolute bricks for hands. d rose in a full body cast could still handle the ball better
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

at that sort of cash....i wouldn't match....way to much for a guy that only plays 1/4 of the game

dude has absolute bricks for hands. d rose in a full body cast could still handle the ball better

Yeah, I wouldn't match it for that money either. Go for Duncan. :lol: (not likely though, that guy will retire a Spur).
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yep, this guy is a complete asshole. I don't think it's possible for him to have handled this situation any worse.

I think the dislike towards him is more justified than LBJ's. Dwight's actually acting like a baby. LBJ just made a decision that a lot of people don't appreciate.

The Decision is easier to swallow that Dwight's debacle.

I'd hate to be a Magic fan right now.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I love when that franchise gets fucked over their owner is a major dickhead who has ruined many a life himself. i guess that probably the case for most owners.
    dcfaithful wrote:

I think the dislike towards him is more justified than LBJ's. Dwight's actually acting like a baby. LBJ just made a decision that a lot of people don't appreciate.

The Decision is easier to swallow that Dwight's debacle.

Great point. LBJ is much more likable than Howard at this stage. LBJ could have been crying for the last couple years in Cleveland when he had a horseshit supporting cast around him like Dwight does in Orlando. Howard is always talking about his "brand". Doesn't he realize his "brand" will be nothing after this debacle?
    81 wrote:

Yeah, it's tough to see them matching it. The contract he signed w/ HOU is for $5M, $5M, then $15M for the 3rd year. $15M for this guy??? Insanity.
    81 wrote:

Yeah, it's tough to see them matching it. The contract he signed w/ HOU is for $5M, $5M, then $15M for the 3rd year. $15M for this guy??? Insanity.

i need to bone up on my cap stuff, but isn't the salary cap hit the average value?

if not, that 3rd year might be a posion pill

but any way you slice it, way to much for a guy that plays less than 15 minutes per game.

edit, from what i am seeing, the cap hit is the value of that's salary...not an average
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i need to bone up on my cap stuff, but isn't the salary cap hit the average value?

if not, that 3rd year might be a posion pill

but any way you slice it, way to much for a guy that plays less than 15 minutes per game.

edit, from what i am seeing, the cap hit is the value of that's salary...not an average

I know the cap hit in NHL is the average, but NBA is the actual number.

I really hope the Bulls don't mess this up and match the offer. It would be one thing if he looked like he would turn into an offensive player, but it seemed like he got worse offensively this past season.
    Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets for guards Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and DeShawn Stevenson and forwards Jordan Williams and Johan Petro, along with a draft pick Brooklyn received from Houston in a prior deal.

Jazz acquire Mo Williams, and trade Devin Harris for Marvin Williams from the Hawks.

I don't think the Jazz are done making moves. They shed a little bit of space with that trade with Harris. No more CJ Miles. Don't expect to see Raja Bell in a Jazz jersey either, and a part of me thinks that they might use Paul Millsap in a trade package. :corn:

I like the prospect of Mo Williams as a starting PG over Harris.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,914
    dcfaithful wrote:

yeah, both of them are pretty upset.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I can't believe the Hawks found a team dumber then they are to unload Joe Johnson and his insane contract.

I look forward to when the authorities find Billy King's missing body in Siberia later this summer.
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

yeah, both of them are pretty upset.

:lol::lol:
    Deron Williams re-signs with the Nets for a five-year $98M contract. That is a lot of cheddar.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/07/03/dero ... index.html
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Deron Williams re-signs with the Nets for a five-year $98M contract. That is a lot of cheddar.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/07/03/dero ... index.html

20 mil a year? :fp: :fp:
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    If Brooklyn lands Howard.... Title within 3 years

PG D Will
    SG J Johnson
    C D Howard
    SF G Wallace
    PF IDK but who cares

They will be impressive

Develop Chemistry and role players and they could get it done

Interesting
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    Yea, but can they keep it under the salary cap?

CROJAM95 wrote:
    If Brooklyn lands Howard.... Title within 3 years

PG D Will
    SG J Johnson
    C D Howard
    SF G Wallace
    PF IDK but who cares

They will be impressive

Develop Chemistry and role players and they could get it done

Interesting