How much do you tip?

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Gibsons is a high end steak house, 125 would be cheap there.

here is the menu
    http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/pdf/Gi ... Dinner.pdf

but the point is.....

both servers stopped by, took your drink orders, delivered drinks, took order, delievered food, refilled drinks and checked on food quality, brought check.

both servers were equally compentent and did an equal job. why does the second one get $15 more for doing the same work?

I get it...prob for the same reason that the same goober working at Macy's gets paid more than the goober working at Target, they both stock clothes and clean the dressing rooms...and the guy at Gibsons prob has to learn how to cork the wine and all that other fancy shmancy stuff. Been to nice restuarants and they tend to fawn over you a little more than the Outback guy.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sooo....

lets say you go out to dinner to two different places on two different nights.

night 1 @ Outback, bill is $50 tip @ 20% is $10
    night 2 @ Gibsons, bill is $125 tip @ 20% is $25

serivce was equal.

why is the Gibson dinner tip more?

because Gibson's food costs twice as much...is the food any better? (and what is Gibsons?)

here is the menu

but the point is.....

both servers stopped by, took your drink orders, delivered drinks, took order, delievered food, refilled drinks and checked on food quality, brought check.

both servers were equally compentent and did an equal job. why does the second one get $15 more for doing the same work?

Very good point. But i'll bet that guy at Gibsons has to wear a silly bow-tie.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm going to a $10 flat rate.

or maybe $1 per person per table visit
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    81 wrote:
    sooo....

serivce was equal.

You have to work your way up to wait tables at fancy joints like that. A buddy of mine started washing dishes and took like 18 months to finally wait tables at Ruth's Chris. Dishwasher, kitchen help, bus boy, host, food runner, then finally waiter
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I usually tip about 20-25%.

if the service is exceptionally bad, I will tip very low. It takes a lot of failure to accomplish that though.
    If the service/experience is exceptionally great, I will tip even more generously.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    dunkman wrote:
    Worst ever experience I've had was in a Hooters in Florida... the waitress couldnt give one fucking shit that we were there and that we wanted more drinks... why? cos she had 5 guys fawning all over her and she was obviously whoring herself out for a bigger tip than me... well she got it... cos i left her absolutely fucking nothing.

you came all the way from Scotland and went to a hooters? you should get bad service ;)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    norm wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Worst ever experience I've had was in a Hooters in Florida... the waitress couldnt give one fucking shit that we were there and that we wanted more drinks... why? cos she had 5 guys fawning all over her and she was obviously whoring herself out for a bigger tip than me... well she got it... cos i left her absolutely fucking nothing.

you came all the way from Scotland and went to a hooters? you should get bad service ;)

Hooters always has crap service. Went there with some friends because they wanted to go and were too scared to go by themselves (I don't know why). After an hour the manager comes by...'how was your meal?' I said, 'Well I hope it's pretty damn good since we haven't even got a chance to order yet'. He just walked away, and then 20 minutes later some girl comes by, does not even give a half ass excuse. My tab was $14.63, and I left her $15.
    I wanted to leave, but my friends were so insistent on eating there. That Hooters got shut down for bad service a few months later.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Hooters always has crap service. Went there with some friends because they wanted to go and were too scared to go by themselves (I don't know why). After an hour the manager comes by...'how was your meal?' I said, 'Well I hope it's pretty damn good since we haven't even got a chance to order yet'. He just walked away, and then 20 minutes later some girl comes by, does not even give a half ass excuse. My tab was $14.63, and I left her $15.
    I wanted to leave, but my friends were so insistent on eating there. That Hooters got shut down for bad service a few months later.

i've never set foot in a hooters...besides quasi-attractive women in hot pants and push up bras, what is the appeal? i've never heard anything good about the food and it seems like the service is just as bad
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    before graduating college all i ever really did was wait tables at a variety of restaurants from BBQ joints to cafes to nice expensive restuarants. I never received any more than $2.15 per hour, granted that I'm sure that wage has increased a little over the last 8 years. I'll tell you what though, while waiting tables does not require any formal education; it can be a very demanding job. Believe it or not it can be very stressful if you are in the weeds...you stress b/c your pay depends on the service you are providing. And a lot of times your service appears to be shitty when really it's the fault of the kitchen (fucking up orders or simply taking way too long). Well even it it's not your fault, your tips usually suffer. And you'd be fucking shocked at how poorly some people tip. You also have to deal with some extremely rude people. I tip no less than 20% wherever I go unless the service is noticably very bad.

Your pay depends on the service you are providing so sure sometimes it sucks when it is slow, but at the same time you have potential to make a ton of money. This is why I imagine a lot of people decide to be waiters. I mean if you prefer a steady guaranteed hourly salary that is higher, there is always retail or fast food.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hooters blows....well, hooters are nice, but the eatery blows.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I tipped $500 once. It was a business meeting with clients and there were like 7 or 8 of us.... I think the bill was like $2,000 so I just said, "what the hell... let's make it an even $500." The wine and shots of tequila might have had something to do with that.

If I didn't have to keep entertaining the clients, I'm 100% certain the waitress would have gone home with me that night. I think I made her night, her week, her month, etc. It was a decent restaurant but not a place where the service ever gets more than a $50 tip probably.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sooo....

serivce was equal.

because Gibson's food costs twice as much...is the food any better? (and what is Gibsons?)

here is the menu

but the point is.....

on that same sort of baseline:
    breakfast is about 7 bucks per person bill is 14 and small change.
    waitress did same job as she wouldve if it were dinner and we got steak and a 60 dollar bill.
    long story short, ive never given less than 5 bucks for breakfast so long as service was minimally decent. even if thats a 35% tip. IMO a 2 dollar tip, which is roughly 15% is more of a slap in the face than anything.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    This is why I love my profession.

Men are pigs and can be easily turned-on. I am not above (or below) wearing nice perfume and low-cut tops to earn my keep. The men that opt for a wash and massage are in for a treat- I find that if I can get them to moan a bit, I've done my job. Momma needs a new pair o' shoes...
    Plus the fact that I can shoot the shit with them and not be a pretentious dumbfuck helps.

As for women, they all want to be complimented, and some, flirted with.

My men are amazing tippers!

for a non picture post, this might just be my favorite post ever on this board. :clap:

you're a hairdresser i am assuming, right? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

here's how you know you've been around these boards too long....i can honestly say this is at least the 4th time i have heard mr dunkman reference his horrific trip to hooters. all 3 other times were in other tipping threads on multiple pj boards.

:lol:

dunk--tell them about your fondness of flags next. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    shit Juggles you must have a good memory... they all merge into one for me... basically 3 europeans trying to explain our system to 47 americans who are getting angrier and angrier by the second because they can't comprehend our dislike of the US system... ;)
    I live in the US and I dislike the US system, but it's the system in place so I have to live and deal with it. If I knew that service wouldn't suffer, I'd be 100% in favor of waitstaff having a salary of at least minimum wage. However, I think service would suffer tremendously. Those servers that are good and can earn a lot of tips would lose a lot of income and would be less motivated to do well at their job. The servers who already don't do their job well would just have more incentive to remain crappy at their job. Why give more effort if you know you're getting a decent salary anyways. Just a lose-lose situation imo.

ever had a meal in the UK, France, Italy, Canada, Australia or New Zealand? Because by your rationale the countries that do pay minimum wage must have really really bad service from really really poorly motivated staff.... which is not the case imo.

I've had a meal in quite a few other countries and the only difference i've had, give or take the odd bad experience, is that in America the waiter or waitress told me their name and got me refills.

One of the worst services I've ever had was in Toronto, but that was an outlier from my trip to Canada as most of the places we dined at had pretty good service.

I should have clarified my rationale though. That wasn't meant to be an all out generalization for places that already have a no tipping standard in place. That was meant to be more for if the custom in the US changed to a non tipping system. I think that the service would suffer as a byproduct of the change. Over time, as people got used to the new system, it would probably get better. However, at least at the beginning (and first few years), the service would probably be lacking for the reasons I mentioned.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

here's how you know you've been around these boards too long....i can honestly say this is at least the 4th time i have heard mr dunkman reference his horrific trip to hooters. all 3 other times were in other tipping threads on multiple pj boards.

LOL
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    81 wrote:
    went out for dinner friday night..great food real good sevice 40 dollar tip on 108 dollar meal.

admit it, they let you in without a shirt
    yup :lol:8-)
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    went out for dinner friday night..great food real good sevice 40 dollar tip on 108 dollar meal.

how hot was the waitress and did you get her #?
    it was a young black dude..and yes...for the wife :lol:
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I always tip. Usually 20% unless the service is awful. And I've never been to Hooters.

In college, a group of us went to a small Italian place in LA. The waiter was super rude, tossed a basket of burnt rolls on the table so hard some of the rolls fell out. Halfway through the meal he walked up to us and he was wearing a coat and said we could pay up. We did, we wanted to get out there. One of my friends left about 20 cents in pennies on the table. We walked out, the waiter chased us. Threw the pennies after us in the parking lot. They hit the friend who'd left the pennies in the head.

We really should have complained to the owner - the guy was horrible. Didn't deserve 20 cents.
    Enkidu wrote:
    I always tip. Usually 20% unless the service is awful. And I've never been to Hooters.

In college, a group of us went to a small Italian place in LA. The waiter was super rude, tossed a basket of burnt rolls on the table so hard some of the rolls fell out. Halfway through the meal he walked up to us and he was wearing a coat and said we could pay up. We did, we wanted to get out there. One of my friends left about 20 cents in pennies on the table. We walked out, the waiter chased us. Threw the pennies after us in the parking lot. They hit the friend who'd left the pennies in the head.

We really should have complained to the owner - the guy was horrible. Didn't deserve 20 cents.

similar thing happen to me...same deal a bunch of us go to dinner...the waitress seemed pleasant enough but for reasons we're still not sure of, when she brought the check to the table, she just threw it on the table and walked away...yeah well she got about a 3 cent tip...then chased out in the parking lot screaming at us and giving us the finger as we drove away

one of my friends mother was friends with the owner...she became an ex waitress 8-):lol::lol:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    DELIVERY GUY JUST CAME..21 BUCKS...GAVE HIM $7

ITS RAINING HARD OUT
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    There is an all you can eat sushi place run by chinese who have a pretty good late night deal... the food is pretty mediocre of course but its cheap and what you'd expect...
    The service is usually terrible, sometimes it even feels awkward to be in there (although I heard from a few Chinese friends that's just how Chinese-run restaurants are). Anyways... I've seen the owner chase people out of the store or refuse to give back their credit/debit cards if they dont tip.

One time we left the tip on the table but paid teh bill with debit, he assumed we weren't leaving a tip and got in a bit of a tiff with my bf... I wonder if he just doesn't pay the waitresses properly and expects them to live off the tips... That's just an assumption though.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    There is an all you can eat sushi place run by chinese who have a pretty good late night deal... the food is pretty mediocre of course but its cheap and what you'd expect...
    The service is usually terrible, sometimes it even feels awkward to be in there (although I heard from a few Chinese friends that's just how Chinese-run restaurants are). Anyways... I've seen the owner chase people out of the store or refuse to give back their credit/debit cards if they dont tip.

One time we left the tip on the table but paid teh bill with debit, he assumed we weren't leaving a tip and got in a bit of a tiff with my bf... I wonder if he just doesn't pay the waitresses properly and expects them to live off the tips... That's just an assumption though.

all you can eat mediocre sushi?

my stomach turns just reading that :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    you should tip everyone..even the guy making the egg sammies in the morning

we tip the bathroom cleaning guy at MSG so we can smoke in the stalls :mrgreen:
    I do the same thing at msg
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    haffajappa wrote:

LOL
    I'm so tight with tipping, I didn't even tip my last hairdresser! 8-)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    norm wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

i did and i did. :lol:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    I tipped $500 once. It was a business meeting with clients and there were like 7 or 8 of us.... I think the bill was like $2,000 so I just said, "what the hell... let's make it an even $500." The wine and shots of tequila might have had something to do with that.

If I didn't have to keep entertaining the clients, I'm 100% certain the waitress would have gone home with me that night. I think I made her night, her week, her month, etc. It was a decent restaurant but not a place where the service ever gets more than a $50 tip probably.

she was basically a prostitute then. If a woman is 100% certain to go home with you simply because you tipped her $500 then she's a whore...

and that's basically all tipping is about... try and flash as much cash as possible to ensure you get served first and fast... sounds like a strip-joint... and we all know how much we hate those fat lawyer wankers who go into strip clubs and put 50s in front of the girls to get a kiss and a shake of the rump in his face... and we hate those guys right? well times that hatred by 3 and thats how much i hate crass, arrogant cashwavers who tip a barman an unnecessary $10 to ensure he gets served before me. The barguy should know who to serve next in a bar... and if he serves someone before me because of tipping then he's a gay prostitute... or something.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dunkman wrote:
    I tipped $500 once. It was a business meeting with clients and there were like 7 or 8 of us.... I think the bill was like $2,000 so I just said, "what the hell... let's make it an even $500." The wine and shots of tequila might have had something to do with that.

she was basically a prostitute then. If a woman is 100% certain to go home with you simply because you tipped her $500 then she's a whore...

and that's basically all tipping is about... try and flash as much cash as possible to ensure you get served first and fast... sounds like a strip-joint... and we all know how much we hate those fat lawyer wankers who go into strip clubs and put 50s in front of the girls to get a kiss and a shake of the rump in his face... and we hate those guys right? well times that hatred by 3 and thats how much i hate crass, arrogant cashwavers who tip a barman an unnecessary $10 to ensure he gets served before me. The barguy should know who to serve next in a bar... and if he serves someone before me because of tipping then he's a gay prostitute... or something.

HATE ME ALL U WANT..but you're the one waiting behind me for the beer
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    dunkman wrote:

HATE ME ALL U WANT..but you're the one waiting behind me for the beer

mmmm doubtful... i don't frequent the Blue Oyster Bar ;);)