How much do you tip?

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Do you tip your waitstaff/bartender/coffee girl? Do you tip based on service or looks?

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/budg ... 325538049/

What does make us tip better? How about breasts? A 2009 study published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior found that larger self-reported breast size among waitresses correlated with bigger tips. Similarly, a 2010 study in the International Journal of Hospitality Management found that waitresses' use of makeup significantly increased their tips. Female servers can also increase their tips by drawing a smiley face on the back of customers' checks (male servers, it turns out, can't achieve the same with this tactic).

In fairness to men: Women do tip male servers better than they tip female servers—though waiters' attractiveness doesn't seem to enter into the equation.

Studies also have found that complimenting a diner's choice of dishes can boost tips (compliments also go a long way in boosting tips at hair salons, too). Also effective: a touch on the customer's arm, stooping down to table level, a flower in the hair, introducing oneself by name and giving diners extra candy at the end of a meal.

The key to tipping, then, has less to do with reward or punishment for quality of service. It's about rewarding or punishing those who engage our interest or empathy. A little more flirting goes a lot further than a little faster refill on your coffee

Personally, I really do tip based on level of service...I have left $0.10 for really S#itty service, but only twice.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,979
    Oh Dunkman!!!! Thoughts please? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    you should tip everyone..even the guy making the egg sammies in the morning

we tip the bathroom cleaning guy at MSG so we can smoke in the stalls :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Oh Dunkman!!!! Thoughts please? :mrgreen:
    hahaha---my thoughts exactly!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258

Exactly everyone who provides a service to me personally i tip ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

he cleans our stems and ashes ..plus sprays air freshener...deserves a few beans :lol:

but we can't let anyone see us tipping him so we drop the $10 on the floor and say "hey dude you dropped something" :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    I tip 10% to 15% depending on the service, I don't mind giving 20% or more if I feel the person went above and beyond, but if you treat me like crap I'll leave 0%
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

he cleans our stems and ashes ..plus sprays air freshener...deserves a few beans :lol:

but we can't let anyone see us tipping him so we drop the $10 on the floor and say "hey dude you dropped something" :lol:

LOL I thought you were talking about the bathroom attendent that gives you a towel after you wash your hands...I tip for 'free parking' at some places...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

LOL I thought you were talking about the bathroom attendent that gives you a towel after you wash your hands...I tip for 'free parking' at some places...

ain't nobody handing u a towel at MSG :lol:

fact of the matter is ..throw some beans at everyone when its called for
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Do you tip your waitstaff/bartender/coffee girl? Do you tip based on service or looks?

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/budg ... 325538049/

What does make us tip better? How about breasts? A 2009 study published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior found that larger self-reported breast size among waitresses correlated with bigger tips. Similarly, a 2010 study in the International Journal of Hospitality Management found that waitresses' use of makeup significantly increased their tips. Female servers can also increase their tips by drawing a smiley face on the back of customers' checks (male servers, it turns out, can't achieve the same with this tactic).

In fairness to men: Women do tip male servers better than they tip female servers—though waiters' attractiveness doesn't seem to enter into the equation.

Studies also have found that complimenting a diner's choice of dishes can boost tips (compliments also go a long way in boosting tips at hair salons, too). Also effective: a touch on the customer's arm, stooping down to table level, a flower in the hair, introducing oneself by name and giving diners extra candy at the end of a meal.

The key to tipping, then, has less to do with reward or punishment for quality of service. It's about rewarding or punishing those who engage our interest or empathy. A little more flirting goes a lot further than a little faster refill on your coffee

Personally, I really do tip based on level of service...I have left $0.10 for really S#itty service, but only twice.

I tip on service and if the server seems genuinely nice or happy. But sometimes more if they seem to be having a crappy night. I've only ever not left a tip one time. Other than that one time, I always leave a generous tip and looks definitely have nothing to do with it.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    service

now if i'm at a bar and the bartender is a cute girl i def overtip regardless
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i wish tipping was only a city in china
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

my tat artist had a sign in his shop, "Tipping is NOT a city in China"

and good tipping has gotten me a double serving of ahi (every time I go in) at the sushi place, and they only charge me for the single serving.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

my tat artist had a sign in his shop, "Tipping is NOT a city in China"

and good tipping has gotten me a double serving of ahi (every time I go in) at the sushi place, and they only charge me for the single serving.

well yea..the food people will def. treat you better...bigger portions...cheaper prices

its well worth it to tip em

plus you can call ahead when taking out and they will have it waiting for you/...
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    At a restaurant, the tip starts at 15% and then increases or decreases based on the level of service received. Looks/attractiveness have no bearing on the amount.

Only other service I tip for is my barber and that's a 25%-30% tip, depending on how much cash is on me at that time.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    Ahhhh, love these threads - where's Dunk, or any of the other Euros?

Note to everyone in the US - 15% went out with acid washed jeans. 20% PEOPLE.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I'm a valet now. So you bastards all should tip them atleast $3.

Dollar tippers or no tippers blow!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    depends on my mood. and how skint i am at the time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    If service is really bad, I leave 15%. Otherwise, I leave at least 20%. For example, my hairstylist charges $78 for a cut/trim + color touch-up (I even bring my OWN hair dye from Whole Foods). I give him $105 total, 'cause I'm happy with the results. My DH says we don't need to tip the mailcarrier, garbagemen at Christmas or anyone who comes to our house for a repair. He says I am the reason we're broke. :mrgreen:
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I'm a valet now. So you bastards all should tip them atleast $3.

Dollar tippers or no tippers blow!

I recently visited someone in the hospital (an emergency situation), so I valet parked and I did give them $3.00. Although, I later thought I should have given more 'cause I always tip the pizza boy $5.00.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264

Amen. 20 is the minimum when the service is good. The only time to leave less than 20% is when your service absolutely sucked.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Next week 30% :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987

Amen. 20 is the minimum when the service is good. The only time to leave less than 20% is when your service absolutely sucked.

This lady gets it.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    You have to Really suck for me not to give 20 % or more.If you really really suck i'll still give a good tip, but not go back there again.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    If I get good service, they get a very good tip.

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    edited March 2011
    I tip good but if she looks good, gives good service..., I'll tip her more. I gave a 15$ tip on a 13$ haircut.
    Post edited by Nothingman54 on
    I'll be back
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm a poor student, but I always leave a good tip, I know what its like working shit jobs.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    took the wife out to dinner two weeks ago..two drinks at bar waiting for table six dollar tip...90 dollar dinner 30 dollar tip...good food good service..good tips.
  • arq wrote:
    I tip 10% to 15% depending on the service, I don't mind giving 20% or more if I feel the person went above and beyond, but if you treat me like crap I'll leave 0%

I'm glad to see other people still does 10% sometimes. I always try to leave between 10-15%. I really wish I could leave more, but I'm a grad student with a family so sometimes we are doing good just to enjoy a nice meal out. I have worked in food service during my high school and early college years, I was just always happy to get a tip period. I never expected to get a tip, I was just grateful when I received one(which was almost always). When I was lucky enough to get a big tip, I would just be happy and take it as a compliment that I did my job well. However,to me a tip is someone's way of saying, "thank you for going above and beyond." I don't know that tips were ever meant to be a mandatory thing, but somewhere over time it became an almost sin to not tip. I've worked with people who would just get pissed if they didn't get a huge tip, I think that is tacky. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it. :)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Usually 20% because it's an easy number to figure out. If service is subpar then I figure 15% to the penny. I understand sometimes they are overwelmed.. If they are rude, or don't seem to care when they are there to help then 10% or less.. If the service is really good, 25% but rarely over that unless they don't charge me or give me a good discount.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

hey watsup lol

15% is fine. 20% is when you have alot of people.

and a dollar every drink at a bar is mandatory. :lol:
    I recently visited someone in the hospital (an emergency situation), so I valet parked and I did give them $3.00. Although, I later thought I should have given more 'cause I always tip the pizza boy $5.00.

thats good haha. Alot of valets really only work off tips. We dont make much per hour or shift. I can tell you a $5 tip is very nice though :lol: and if your feeling very generous (or drunk) $20 works well too
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09