How much do you tip?

Comments

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Everyone should remember that servers often get like $2-3 bucks an hour and DEPEND on your tips.

On the flip side the average restuarant bill is probably what $30? So if a decent waiter is handling 4 tables an hour, even if they are getting 10% they are still making an extra 12 bucks an hour on top of that. If everyone tips 20% the waiter is making 24 bucks an hour plus their salary just to write down orders and bring people food.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    haffajappa wrote:
    I come from a country where we don't pay our waitresses 2 dollars an hour.
    I tip if the service is good or if I'm at a restaurant I frequent.

I don't pity wait staff - up here they make more than most people do that are working minimum wage jobs.

wow....your country sounds awesome!

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Everyone should remember that servers often get like $2-3 bucks an hour and DEPEND on your tips.

On the flip side the average restuarant bill is probably what $30? So if a decent waiter is handling 4 tables an hour, even if they are getting 10% they are still making an extra 12 bucks an hour on top of that. If everyone tips 20% the waiter is making 24 bucks an hour plus their salary just to write down orders and bring people food.

Yeah, but that only applies for typical lunch and dinner times. So you might make $24/hour from 5-7, but if you work until close, you might only get a couple more tables after the peak times.

Also, there are a lot of variables. Restaurant type, average meal cost, restaurant size, amount of staff, etc.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • haffajappa wrote:

I don't pity wait staff - up here they make more than most people do that are working minimum wage jobs.

I still don't see how this is actually legal here in America. I know there is some loop hole they are getting, but it isn't right. Also, I bet your meals at restaurants isn't double ours b/c they pay their wait staff more.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Generally, I Double the Tax
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    Generally i pay 20% for decent service, which i list as just doing their jobs, nothing fancy.

Pay way more for excellent service, 30 to 40%, but generally only when paying for 2 meals.

But here are my crappy tips

I only tip the change at dunkies if i pay cash (which is rarely). Reasoning is...you dont tip the mcd's employee right???
    (and i have worked at both)

1 dollar per meal at a buffet. They do half the work as a normal server so the tip is half. I have to get my own damn food anyways.

But i always tip well for valets and haircuts and other things that are service rendered. but, to be honest because i tip well for these things and dont have much money i generally cook our meals, walk from the garage, or have the mrs do my haircuts :lol:
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    went out for dinner friday night..great food real good sevice 40 dollar tip on 108 dollar meal.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    went out for dinner friday night..great food real good sevice 40 dollar tip on 108 dollar meal.

admit it, they let you in without a shirt
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    haffajappa wrote:

I still don't see how this is actually legal here in America. I know there is some loop hole they are getting, but it isn't right. Also, I bet your meals at restaurants isn't double ours b/c they pay their wait staff more.
    Prices are going up (partly because of the Harmonized Sales Tax) but also a lot of restaurants are trying to be "trendy" when really the food is just as terrible as it used to be before they jacked up prices.

But to put in perspective, a meal at Denny's will typically run in the 8-11 dollar range.
    I imagine things in general are more expensive up here, and the prices depend not just on wages but other things as well
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam

how hot was the waitress and did you get her #?
    www.myspace.com
    haffajappa wrote:

wow....your country sounds awesome!

:lol:
    It's ok to be jealous. ;)
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    oh and the mandatory 18% tip included for parties of 8 or more...imo it costs the servers more in the end...well at least for me...
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I especially don't understand the idea of tipping for a beer or a simple drink if I'm at a bar. I also don't understand the idea of table service if I just want a beer. I want a drink, either one of me mates goes and buys the round or I do. Damned if I'm gonna sit around waiting on someone to come find me.

I like the guys at my local in London- if they see me walking through the door, they start pouring my beer. The right beer. They can have their monthly tip, a box of chocolates I stole from work or something.

Or if I'm solo, I'll prop up the bar.

Service? Don't feel I need it, really. I'm quite happy to pull the beer myself and leave some money behind for it. I'm assuming we're talking Americaland here. If for some reason I dare ask for a Guinness, yes, I will tip if the bar guy/girl actually knows how to pour one.

Cocktails are a separate matter. It actually takes some skill to make a good one, and I never fail to tip those peeps.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:
    I especially don't understand the idea of tipping for a beer or a simple drink if I'm at a bar..

i look at it like insurance. leave a big tip earlier and you know you're gonna get hooked up the rest of the night.
    www.myspace.com
  • This is why I love my profession.

Men are pigs and can be easily turned-on. I am not above (or below) wearing nice perfume and low-cut tops to earn my keep. The men that opt for a wash and massage are in for a treat- I find that if I can get them to moan a bit, I've done my job. Momma needs a new pair o' shoes...
    Plus the fact that I can shoot the shit with them and not be a pretentious dumbfuck helps.

As for women, they all want to be complimented, and some, flirted with.

My men are amazing tippers!
    Hinn wrote:
    I especially don't understand the idea of tipping for a beer or a simple drink if I'm at a bar. I also don't understand the idea of table service if I just want a beer. I want a drink, either one of me mates goes and buys the round or I do. Damned if I'm gonna sit around waiting on someone to come find me.

I like the guys at my local in London- if they see me walking through the door, they start pouring my beer. The right beer. They can have their monthly tip, a box of chocolates I stole from work or something.

Or if I'm solo, I'll prop up the bar.

Service? Don't feel I need it, really. I'm quite happy to pull the beer myself and leave some money behind for it. I'm assuming we're talking Americaland here. If for some reason I dare ask for a Guinness, yes, I will tip if the bar guy/girl actually knows how to pour one.

Cocktails are a separate matter. It actually takes some skill to make a good one, and I never fail to tip those peeps.
    You didn't even tip eddie for the haircut he gave you!!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    so i guess this is the 2011 tip thread then?

i prefer 2007's :lol:

shit Juggles you must have a good memory... they all merge into one for me... basically 3 europeans trying to explain our system to 47 americans who are getting angrier and angrier by the second because they can't comprehend our dislike of the US system... ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

That is very true, but they also often work 6-7 hour shifts where is is only busy for two hours. So that average goes down after the dinner or lunch rush is over. Then they are required to roll siverware, stock supplies, clean their areas, etc.. SO they make 24 bucks an hour for two hours, then maybe 5-15 the off hours. Come off a 7 hour shift with under 90 bucks isnt that great. Then there are Monday shifts where its not busy at all.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    dunkman wrote:

shit Juggles you must have a good memory... they all merge into one for me... basically 3 europeans trying to explain our system to 47 americans who are getting angrier and angrier by the second because they can't comprehend our dislike of the US system... ;)
    I live in the US and I dislike the US system, but it's the system in place so I have to live and deal with it. If I knew that service wouldn't suffer, I'd be 100% in favor of waitstaff having a salary of at least minimum wage. However, I think service would suffer tremendously. Those servers that are good and can earn a lot of tips would lose a lot of income and would be less motivated to do well at their job. The servers who already don't do their job well would just have more incentive to remain crappy at their job. Why give more effort if you know you're getting a decent salary anyways. Just a lose-lose situation imo.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:

I live in the US and I dislike the US system, but it's the system in place so I have to live and deal with it. If I knew that service wouldn't suffer, I'd be 100% in favor of waitstaff having a salary of at least minimum wage. However, I think service would suffer tremendously. Those servers that are good and can earn a lot of tips would lose a lot of income and would be less motivated to do well at their job. The servers who already don't do their job well would just have more incentive to remain crappy at their job. Why give more effort if you know you're getting a decent salary anyways. Just a lose-lose situation imo.

ever had a meal in the UK, France, Italy, Canada, Australia or New Zealand? Because by your rationale the countries that do pay minimum wage must have really really bad service from really really poorly motivated staff.... which is not the case imo.

I've had a meal in quite a few other countries and the only difference i've had, give or take the odd bad experience, is that in America the waiter or waitress told me their name and got me refills.

Worst ever experience I've had was in a Hooters in Florida... the waitress couldnt give one fucking shit that we were there and that we wanted more drinks... why? cos she had 5 guys fawning all over her and she was obviously whoring herself out for a bigger tip than me... well she got it... cos i left her absolutely fucking nothing.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

That's why I don't mind the tipping system since it gives me some control in the price of my meal. If the service sucks it costs me less than if the service is good. If there were no tips then the price of a meal would go up across the board to pay for waiters salaries.

That said when I was in London England a few years ago I went to a ton of pubs and loved the system there. Order your food at the bar, when you get your drinks and pay then. They give you a little number card and when your food is ready the bartender brings it to your table. Other than that moment there is no actual table service, and you don't have to tip. It was awesome, and actually super fast. Plus it meant that the pub only needed to have a couple of bartenders on staff rather than a bunch of waiters.

That is very true, but they also often work 6-7 hour shifts where is is only busy for two hours. So that average goes down after the dinner or lunch rush is over. Then they are required to roll siverware, stock supplies, clean their areas, etc.. SO they make 24 bucks an hour for two hours, then maybe 5-15 the off hours. Come off a 7 hour shift with under 90 bucks isnt that great. Then there are Monday shifts where its not busy at all.

But even 90 bucks for a 7 hour shift is still around $12.60 an hour for taking orders and bringing people food. Seems like a pretty awesome wage to me for a job that requires no formal education.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dunkman wrote:

there are still places that don't pay the waitstaff minimum wage? Last I remember hearing about it was in the south...they got paid something like $3-4/hr and the rest was tips...thought they changed that.
    Here in Washington our minimum wage is the highest in the country...$8.67/hr, and most restaurants pay $9-10/hr+tips. Usually it's the coffee girls or small cafes that pay minimum wage.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    before graduating college all i ever really did was wait tables at a variety of restaurants from BBQ joints to cafes to nice expensive restuarants. I never received any more than $2.15 per hour, granted that I'm sure that wage has increased a little over the last 8 years. I'll tell you what though, while waiting tables does not require any formal education; it can be a very demanding job. Believe it or not it can be very stressful if you are in the weeds...you stress b/c your pay depends on the service you are providing. And a lot of times your service appears to be shitty when really it's the fault of the kitchen (fucking up orders or simply taking way too long). Well even it it's not your fault, your tips usually suffer. And you'd be fucking shocked at how poorly some people tip. You also have to deal with some extremely rude people. I tip no less than 20% wherever I go unless the service is noticably very bad.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    At least 20 % always....I never have REAL bad service. if I did then ok it depends but nromakl service 20 %.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    This is why I love my profession.

Men are pigs and can be easily turned-on. I am not above (or below) wearing nice perfume and low-cut tops to earn my keep. The men that opt for a wash and massage are in for a treat- I find that if I can get them to moan a bit, I've done my job. Momma needs a new pair o' shoes...
    Plus the fact that I can shoot the shit with them and not be a pretentious dumbfuck helps.

It Moved..
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    sooo....

lets say you go out to dinner to two different places on two different nights.

night 1 @ Outback, bill is $50 tip @ 20% is $10
    night 2 @ Gibsons, bill is $125 tip @ 20% is $25

serivce was equal.

why is the Gibson dinner tip more?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    sooo....

serivce was equal.

because Gibson's food costs twice as much...is the food any better? (and what is Gibsons?)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    sooo....

serivce was equal.

because Gibson's food costs twice as much...is the food any better? (and what is Gibsons?)

Gibsons is a high end steak house, 125 would be cheap there.

here is the menu
    http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/pdf/Gi ... Dinner.pdf

but the point is.....

both servers stopped by, took your drink orders, delivered drinks, took order, delievered food, refilled drinks and checked on food quality, brought check.

both servers were equally compentent and did an equal job. why does the second one get $15 more for doing the same work?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • This is why I love my profession.

It Moved..
    Prime example ;)