Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,352
    Washington 1998 Vault
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,730

brasilia has some issues,at some song..like habit,or tremor...
    but is away better thasn sao paulo-porto and ba//
    and its a must have ..show was fantastic
    and seriously,,is the best solo,mike - boom at crazy mary,,yopur hair will be up!!

Dimi, in my ears the BA boot was fine..ok, i was expecting the crowd lounder..but otherwise, i think its good..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    Just ordered bonaroo 08 and Brisbane 09 from nugs. My bootleg obsession continues. Lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    mcgruff10 said:

Just ordered bonaroo 08 and Brisbane 09 from nugs. My bootleg obsession continues. Lol.

Both are good shows, fine choices!
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Calgary 2005
    A relaxed rendition of Oceans begins the gig. After the soothing opener, Matt kicks in the drum intro to Last Exit. Jeff's bass stands out wonderfully in the choruses, and adds an emphasis on Ed's vocal patterns. Two more Vitalogy rockers follow, Corduroy-Whipping. The raw, cold audio mix of the 2005 boots is well intact on these early songs. I think it kind of lends a hand to the solo section of Corduroy to make it sound edgier here. It's an energetic performance from all, Matt and Mike really drove the song. Ed fumbles the lyrics a bit in Whipping, but it's only a few words and nothing too major. I'm always happy to see Hail Hail in a set, and it's quality tonight. Matt's playing is loose, and adding additional beats to make the tune sound more free flowing and energized. DTE hits hard afterwards. The band’s performance has a great feel to it tonight. They are mostly tight and definitely lively musically, but come across as super flexible in playing style. 2005 shows are reliable for this type of vibe, in my view. Listen closely to the transitions and the flow of its parts in DTE, and you'll hear what I'm describing. Matt and Ed are especially in top form. GTF gives a moment of peace after a rambunctious DTE. The verses have a clean, crispness about them.

Ed thanks the crowd for bringing their energy. A good rendering of Red Mosquito is a nice addition to the set, and listen carefully to Ed on the outro. His vocal melody on one of the lines is slightly different and a subtle touch. Solid plays on Even Flow-MFC-Daughter (with a dark, beautiful sounding outro) follow. Alone is a perfect choice to come after the haunting outro of Daughter. The rarity has a solid performance from all. It's more incredible set flow with Insignificance up next. Those two make an epic sounding pair. Matt adds many extra beats and quick bursts of energy in Insignificance. NFY-Black makes an interesting, powerful pair. Ed has a very minuscule moment early in Black where it sounds like he is about to forget his spot in the song lyrically, but rebounds quickly and covers it very well. It's somewhat unusual to have it in this spot in the set as well, and that creates an added sense of emotion and urgency to it. The solo reflects that, during the tag it literally sounds like Mike's guitar work is in mourning and sorrow. Like a barnstormer, Save You immediately follows; making it two songs about personal relationships, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. It's up to RVM to send the encore off on a high note. Ed's vocals are energized. Matt drops a drum stick it sounds like for about 2 seconds. I like the rim fills Matt plays coming out of the jam, a cool little touch. The last chorus has Mike’s intricate riffs sounding godly.

The first encore is top notch all around, and a genuine performance. Starting it off is Small Town. The enthusiasm of the crowd singing the first verse is great. Thumbing My Way is gorgeous tonight. The soft melodies that Mike plays and Matt's subtle snare accents, all are beautiful. Ed's vocals are of the utmost passion and sincerity too. The vocal melodies are quite different on this one. It's one of my favorite versions of the melodic Riot Act number. Sleight of Hand is next. Ed's vocals have a good balance to them, hitting the spots that need emphasis. He sounds comfortable without overdoing it, but still pushing an emotional importance. Furthering the greatness of this encore is a quality play on Hard to Imagine. The solo/jam at the end of HTI is refreshing, lively, and has the band sounding so interconnected together. Alive flows right after, ending the encore. Towards the end of the solo, Mike just sounds huge. It's like his playing swells and just kicks it up a few extra notches; a blistering way to end a mighty fine encore.

Ed makes note that as an American he has a lot weighing on his heart, but the crowd has helped and it's been great. Betterman features some epic drumming from Matt, those hard hitting tom tom fills! The solo/jam/tag is so bright and energetic from everyone. It's one of the best Betterman jams I've heard. Ed does a little improv before going into Last Kiss, and Stone plays a little bit to accent it. It's a very effective little thing that boosts the cover. Much like Betterman, it's one of the best renditions I've heard, and probably the most enthusiastic I've heard Last Kiss sound. RITFW has a tempo that's thankfully not played as fast as usual. I think it makes it sound more forceful to be played at this appropriate tempo; it loses its impact a bit when played too fast. This encore may not look like much on paper, but the performance is pure energy and very driving. A powerful Yellow Ledbetter concludes another wonderful encore. Pay attention to how into it Ed sounds towards the end of the song; there's a lot put into this performance from the band.

I've always enjoyed Calgary 2005. It's one of my favorite bootlegs. It has such a wonderful feel to it that translates vibrantly through the stellar performance. I personally think the setlist is also just right, with an effective mix between passionate plays on hits and tight takes on rarities. It's a fantastic bootleg all the way through, in my book.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    New Orleans 2013. Love the Steve Gleason intro. Then straight into Sirens is this the only show that begins with Sirens. It's a short show with only one encore, but lots of awesome songs. I'm really enjoying this boot.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

mcgruff10 said:

thanks tara! any other australian 09 shows you recommend? what about hartford and boston 1/2 2008? worth getting? I was also thinking london 09 for "ben" after "rats" and acl 09 for "mountain song"!
    I know I will never own every bootleg so i'm trying to knock off a top 5-10 from each year.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

thanks tara! any other australian 09 shows you recommend? what about hartford and boston 1/2 2008? worth getting? I was also thinking london 09 for "ben" after "rats" and acl 09 for "mountain song"!
    I know I will never own every bootleg so i'm trying to knock off a top 5-10 from each year.

I actually find the Australian 2009 leg to be superior to most of the US 09 shows. I've listened to almost all of Aus 09. Perth 09 was my favorite. The setlist is wild and the performance is mostly solid. Melbourne 09 is also top notch and probably the one a majority of fans would recommend too.

My personal favorite boot from 2009 in general would be LA 2. The band were in great spirits, I liked the set, and it's one of the tighter boots from 09. I liked Brisbane because it felt so energetic. Bonaroo has a great feel to it.

However, to be honest, I rarely listen to 2008 boots at all and only occasionally listen to 2009 anymore. I just don't particularly like the way they sound. There's definitely many good shows though. So I can't really comment on those specific 08 boots, sorry man. Enjoy the boots and let the obsession flourish! :)

• Options
    Oklahoma 2013.
  • Options

Oklahoma 2013.

I adore that one! One of my favorites from 2013. So many awesome shows to choose from, so little time.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    san diego 13
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Oklahoma 2013.

Fantastic show! I ll jump on the 2013 band wagon and listen to Charlottesville.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I actually find the Australian 2009 leg to be superior to most of the US 09 shows. I've listened to almost all of Aus 09. Perth 09 was my favorite. The setlist is wild and the performance is mostly solid. Melbourne 09 is also top notch and probably the one a majority of fans would recommend too.

My personal favorite boot from 2009 in general would be LA 2. The band were in great spirits, I liked the set, and it's one of the tighter boots from 09. I liked Brisbane because it felt so energetic. Bonaroo has a great feel to it.

However, to be honest, I rarely listen to 2008 boots at all and only occasionally listen to 2009 anymore. I just don't particularly like the way they sound. There's definitely many good shows though. So I can't really comment on those specific 08 boots, sorry man. Enjoy the boots and let the obsession flourish! :)
    Great info! Thanks so much.
  • Options

san diego 13

Now that's a wild setlist! Fun boot too. The 2013 tour is a hard one to top. Epic long shows with diverse setlists.

• Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Listened to Hartford a few times but not recently, seems like it was a great show. I know it is regarded by many as one of the best if not the best of 2008.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Porto Alegre 2015..lets see how much bad is this..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Oklahoma 2013.

Fantastic show! I ll jump on the 2013 band wagon and listen to Charlottesville.
    I love the Charlottesville boot. That might have to be my next listen when I finish Oklahoma. I really enjoyed New Orleans, it was great for a festival show.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,540
    Sao Paulo 14/11/15 on TC radio!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    Denver 2003
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Halifax (to the max) 2005 at this very moment

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    Boston 10
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,540

Boston 10

Best Boot of 2010?
  • Options
    Memphis, Tn.-2014>Great Boot.

Wash
    1/2 Full
    Garden
    Alone
    NAIS
    Breath
    Great version of Porch and Crazy Mary, to name a few.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,540
    Worcester 15/10/13

This one's about being a friend when your friend doesn't want any friends... This ones' about being a friend when your friend needs a friend... And this is about not saying no when your friend doesn't want your company... ~ Eddie Vedder
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    cutz said:

Boston 10

Best Boot of 2010?
    Close but the prize goes to msg night two.
  • Options
    Belo Horizonte 2015, right now on SiriusXM, amazing energy!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    i guess i am gonna pull the trigger on Braslia..... unless anyone wants to PM a sample. just because Porto Alegra was fucked up.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Spokane 2013
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Sao Paulo 2015
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

cutz said:

Boston 10

Best Boot of 2010?
    Close but the prize goes to msg night two.
    I actually prefer msg night 1 and Newark, NJ, then msg-2