Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Small Town sets the tone for what's to come; incredibly unusual for it to open a show at the time, the majority of this setlist is unique. It's also not the smoothest play on Small Town, but feels like a welcoming gesture with Ed letting the crowd singing loudly. GTF follows to up the energy in a delicate manner. The two make an opening combo that really feel like we are easing into a completely different type of show, and they too make a beautiful pairing. Ed's vocals sound incredibly strong on both. Getting the ball rolling, WWS is perfect in its set placement. I always liked the cool effect on this one that's created when Ed does the "another way" scream in the interlude, with a reverb in the arena and higher pitched scream than normal.

A lively play on Life Wasted is up next, Mike's tone has been very grainy over the last couple songs, it sort of works in this context. The crowd chant for Stone as the prerecorded intro for Severed Hand plays. I really like how Matt's kit sounds here, lots of warmth and his snare has good dry "pop." The solo and outro sound fantastic on Severed Hand. Sad is the first big surprise of the night. It's not one of the best plays on the tune, but it comes together mid way through the first verse. Still, not a bad play by any stretch though, just some slightly off guitar in the very beginning and Ed messing up the first line (recovering from it professionally). Plus, the vocals are wonderfully done on this one rendering. It's enjoyable in its context. Like Ed says afterwards, "We are getting it going."

Marker in the Sand is a great choice to follow Sad in my view, lyrically and musically. There may be a few tighter plays out there, but this one's damn good. Ed's hitting higher notes, Matt is ON, and it's a beautiful sounding rendition all around. The same goes for an excellent Red Mosquito. After Even Flow, Ed compliments the crowd, and then we move into a good Love Boat Captain (first time played on the 06 tour). It's wonderful flow to have Corduroy after LBC, and mid main set like that. That has a very fresh and energizing feel to it, Matt especially is quite dashing. Daughter sounds a bit different to me early on for some reason, like Mike is very low in the mix at times. However, Jeff's bass really comes through; sounding deep. Ed puts out some wonderful atmospheric tribal-like sounds early in the Daughter jam before the tags, reminds me of the 2000 tour style. Army Reserve is dedicated to veterans in the crowd. Ed corrects himself lyrically in the first chorus, but it's not too noticeable and a solid performance as a whole. The outro comes off chilling, yet so beautiful. As a correct political statement, Green Disease follows. Stone is quite loud in the mix for this one, I dig it.

The band joke about the game going on at the time, all fun spirits. Why Go is a perfect choice to follow, as it boosts the energy very nicely at this point in the set. The solo feels very dynamic and loose, not quite as ridged as the last few years. It makes it feel vastly genuine here, largely due to a slightly slower tempo and Matt adding several different drum fills. Lastly, we find an epic way to conclude the set, Inside Job and then RVM. I haven’t truly listened to Inside Job in the last half year due to personal reasons, but this one felt healing in a way. Despite struggle, we move on, we heal, we decide how to feel. Then, as Ed states in RVM as an improv, "Time heals the wounds that no one can see. I will forgive." I couldn't ask for a more powerful way to end this set.

Moving into encore 1, Sleight of Hand comes off very poignant. It's a moving version emotionally, wonderful rendition from all. It is majestically atmospheric, especially Mike's work. He too stands out nicely on a gorgeous Off He Goes. Ed jokes around about experimenting with the crowd tonight, this is a killer setlist; as everyone knows. Around the Bend is up next, and Ed notes it has not been practiced. Still, it came off as a top notch play, for me. Listen to this take of ATB with headphones, it is immersive (Mike steals the show though, he's incredible). The opening lines of Parting Ways is a quick false start from Ed lyrically, but his vocals are on point. He also has a brief mumbling/improv of lyrics in HTI. Overall, it's still a quality, cohesive play. A powerhouse Crazy Mary (the solo is astonishing, one of the very best out there) and Alive end the rarity filled encore. Aside from only a couple minuscule lyrical flubs this encore, it is actually a pretty tight performance from the band here. Taken as a whole, it too helps reinforce the vibe of the main set. It feels like a big thank you, and a hug, to the fans. Mike was the superb highlight of encore 1 for me. This encore looks good on paper, and it sounds almost equally as good when fully taken in. It's a very well rounded and enjoyable set of rarities with positive atmosphere.

DTE kicks the final encore into gear. Ed comes in a few seconds late on Comatose, missing the first few words, but he keeps it in time. His megaphone vocal effect in the interlude is incredibly prominent on this version, very cool. The Paris Hilton stab in Satan’s Bed is funny. Aside from Ed getting a little ahead of himself in the chorus after that, it is a fun performance. That little flaw actually kind of works here the way it was done. Appropriately placed, a solid take on Leatherman keeps that relaxed vibe going. Kicking things up a few notches is Blood, and Ed's vocals are ferocious. I like how sings the second verse in a deep, clean voice and switches mid way through to screaming (even with a mismatched line). Baba and Yellow Ledbetter conclude this wonderful show. Jeff is mixed perfectly on Ledbetter, and really builds an ear grabbing, soothing foundation. Furthermore, Ed and Matt really go for it towards the end of the final verse. Ed starts singing more forceful and Matt adds several heavy, driving hits on his snare. Ed compliments the crowd again on how great everything was, and they aren't "bullshitting."

"Grand Rapids, who knew?" Most often considered a fan favorite amongst the large sea of PJ boots, Grand Rapids 2006 definitely has one of the most rarity filled setlists out there, I'm looking at you, encore one! But how does the performance match up to what's on paper? I used to think this one was kind of fun, yet sloppy. After giving it a more detailed listen, it is not sloppy. It is however, very fun, and only a couple rough edges performance wise. The wild setlist still flows smoothly, has great dynamics, powerful performances with a lot heart, and just really good vibes. Grand Rapids, in my opinion, is one of the true epics, and certainly one of the definitive shows of the great 2006 tour.

2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    mcgruff10 said:

Sydney 98. :)

How is it?
  • Options
    Manitoba 1993 :bee:
  • Options
    GummiBeerGummiBeer Newfoundland Canada Posts: 189
    Halifax 05
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    porto elegre
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    Santiago 2015..at last..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450

Grand Rapids 2006
    Small Town sets the tone for what's to come; incredibly unusual for it to open a show at the time, the majority of this setlist is unique. It's also not the smoothest play on Small Town, but feels like a welcoming gesture with Ed letting the crowd singing loudly. GTF follows to up the energy in a delicate manner. The two make an opening combo that really feel like we are easing into a completely different type of show, and they too make a beautiful pairing. Ed's vocals sound incredibly strong on both. Getting the ball rolling, WWS is perfect in its set placement. I always liked the cool effect on this one that's created when Ed does the "another way" scream in the interlude, with a reverb in the arena and higher pitched scream than normal.

A lively play on Life Wasted is up next, Mike's tone has been very grainy over the last couple songs, it sort of works in this context. The crowd chant for Stone as the prerecorded intro for Severed Hand plays. I really like how Matt's kit sounds here, lots of warmth and his snare has good dry "pop." The solo and outro sound fantastic on Severed Hand. Sad is the first big surprise of the night. It's not one of the best plays on the tune, but it comes together mid way through the first verse. Still, not a bad play by any stretch though, just some slightly off guitar in the very beginning and Ed messing up the first line (recovering from it professionally). Plus, the vocals are wonderfully done on this one rendering. It's enjoyable in its context. Like Ed says afterwards, "We are getting it going."

Marker in the Sand is a great choice to follow Sad in my view, lyrically and musically. There may be a few tighter plays out there, but this one's damn good. Ed's hitting higher notes, Matt is ON, and it's a beautiful sounding rendition all around. The same goes for an excellent Red Mosquito. After Even Flow, Ed compliments the crowd, and then we move into a good Love Boat Captain (first time played on the 06 tour). It's wonderful flow to have Corduroy after LBC, and mid main set like that. That has a very fresh and energizing feel to it, Matt especially is quite dashing. Daughter sounds a bit different to me early on for some reason, like Mike is very low in the mix at times. However, Jeff's bass really comes through; sounding deep. Ed puts out some wonderful atmospheric tribal-like sounds early in the Daughter jam before the tags, reminds me of the 2000 tour style. Army Reserve is dedicated to veterans in the crowd. Ed corrects himself lyrically in the first chorus, but it's not too noticeable and a solid performance as a whole. The outro comes off chilling, yet so beautiful. As a correct political statement, Green Disease follows. Stone is quite loud in the mix for this one, I dig it.

The band joke about the game going on at the time, all fun spirits. Why Go is a perfect choice to follow, as it boosts the energy very nicely at this point in the set. The solo feels very dynamic and loose, not quite as ridged as the last few years. It makes it feel vastly genuine here, largely due to a slightly slower tempo and Matt adding several different drum fills. Lastly, we find an epic way to conclude the set, Inside Job and then RVM. I haven’t truly listened to Inside Job in the last half year due to personal reasons, but this one felt healing in a way. Despite struggle, we move on, we heal, we decide how to feel. Then, as Ed states in RVM as an improv, "Time heals the wounds that no one can see. I will forgive." I couldn't ask for a more powerful way to end this set.

Moving into encore 1, Sleight of Hand comes off very poignant. It's a moving version emotionally, wonderful rendition from all. It is majestically atmospheric, especially Mike's work. He too stands out nicely on a gorgeous Off He Goes. Ed jokes around about experimenting with the crowd tonight, this is a killer setlist; as everyone knows. Around the Bend is up next, and Ed notes it has not been practiced. Still, it came off as a top notch play, for me. Listen to this take of ATB with headphones, it is immersive (Mike steals the show though, he's incredible). The opening lines of Parting Ways is a quick false start from Ed lyrically, but his vocals are on point. He also has a brief mumbling/improv of lyrics in HTI. Overall, it's still a quality, cohesive play. A powerhouse Crazy Mary (the solo is astonishing, one of the very best out there) and Alive end the rarity filled encore. Aside from only a couple minuscule lyrical flubs this encore, it is actually a pretty tight performance from the band here. Taken as a whole, it too helps reinforce the vibe of the main set. It feels like a big thank you, and a hug, to the fans. Mike was the superb highlight of encore 1 for me. This encore looks good on paper, and it sounds almost equally as good when fully taken in. It's a very well rounded and enjoyable set of rarities with positive atmosphere.

DTE kicks the final encore into gear. Ed comes in a few seconds late on Comatose, missing the first few words, but he keeps it in time. His megaphone vocal effect in the interlude is incredibly prominent on this version, very cool. The Paris Hilton stab in Satan’s Bed is funny. Aside from Ed getting a little ahead of himself in the chorus after that, it is a fun performance. That little flaw actually kind of works here the way it was done. Appropriately placed, a solid take on Leatherman keeps that relaxed vibe going. Kicking things up a few notches is Blood, and Ed's vocals are ferocious. I like how sings the second verse in a deep, clean voice and switches mid way through to screaming (even with a mismatched line). Baba and Yellow Ledbetter conclude this wonderful show. Jeff is mixed perfectly on Ledbetter, and really builds an ear grabbing, soothing foundation. Furthermore, Ed and Matt really go for it towards the end of the final verse. Ed starts singing more forceful and Matt adds several heavy, driving hits on his snare. Ed compliments the crowd again on how great everything was, and they aren't "bullshitting."

"Grand Rapids, who knew?" Most often considered a fan favorite amongst the large sea of PJ boots, Grand Rapids 2006 definitely has one of the most rarity filled setlists out there, I'm looking at you, encore one! But how does the performance match up to what's on paper? I used to think this one was kind of fun, yet sloppy. After giving it a more detailed listen, it is not sloppy. It is however, very fun, and only a couple rough edges performance wise. The wild setlist still flows smoothly, has great dynamics, powerful performances with a lot heart, and just really good vibes. Grand Rapids, in my opinion, is one of the true epics, and certainly one of the definitive shows of the great 2006 tour.

Great review, and one that i agree that is a epic show.(and no, i wasn't at this show).

This is a Boot that i have revisited a few times.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907

mcgruff10 said:

Sydney 98. :)

How is it?
    Awesome!!! Thank you.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Does anyone know if there is video for Lexington, KY 4-21-03? My 1st PJ show.
  • Options
    ba -11
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    TL170678 said:

Does anyone know if there is video for Lexington, KY 4-21-03? My 1st PJ show.

no video that I could find but this is still pretty cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGovDCSJ2E
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Bologna 2006
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Sao paulo
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858

Sao paulo

Best show of the Latin American tour. Just listened to it on PJ XM Radio, band sounds unreal, setlist is great.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Philly night 2, 2013. I'm loving Breath and SOLAT, encore 1, has been awesome.
    Also great to hear Satan's Bed.
  • Options
    Just moved into a new house, release from 3/5/98 shall Be the first song played at my families new home.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

Just moved into a new house, release from 3/5/98 shall Be the first song played at my families new home.

CONGRATS on your move buddy...
    Hope you and your family will be happy in your new home!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Berlin 96. Maybe the perfect pre Binaural/Yield setlist, so many of my favorite songs in it.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options

Great boot..Present tense was really nice too..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    Manchester 6/21/12

making a run thru 2012, pretty excellent sounding boots overall.
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

Great boot..Present tense was really nice too..
    Yes I agree excellent boot!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Happy New house, it's getting christened wirh an awesome Release. Good luck with the unpacking.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    Pap said:

Universal City 01/10/09

We played this song a lot of times back in the day and then we decided that we weren't gonna play it... Well, it wasn't that we decided it was just that every time we played it, it literally felt like the roof was caving in on my head and somebody was pouring cream soda on my head and I would start to black out ... And we did it at sound check today and apparently it still happens for some reason... So if I happen to fall on the floor can somebody... Just come pick up the mic and finish the song... ~ Eddie Vedder

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:

Pap said:

Universal City 01/10/09

We played this song a lot of times back in the day and then we decided that we weren't gonna play it... Well, it wasn't that we decided it was just that every time we played it, it literally felt like the roof was caving in on my head and somebody was pouring cream soda on my head and I would start to black out ... And we did it at sound check today and apparently it still happens for some reason... So if I happen to fall on the floor can somebody... Just come pick up the mic and finish the song... ~ Eddie Vedder

What song was this is regards to?
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    Los Angeles 1 2013. Pendulum, Release, Long Road opener. So awesome!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    Milton Keynes, UK-2014

Good, solid Boot.
  • Options
    Melbourne 95....I remember listening to the cassette I copied off the radio all those years ago!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Melbourne 95....I remember listening to the cassette I copied off the radio all those years ago!

thats kewl i must listen to it too :)
    at the end of the day i have to
    get around to doing it instead
    of procrastinating about it...
  • Options
    Hamilton 2005
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    JWPearl said:

thats kewl i must listen to it too :)
    at the end of the day i have to
    get around to doing it instead
    of procrastinating about it...
    Yes just do it, listen to Melbourne 95. It's one of my favs :)