Please Pearl Jam, consider a VINYL Benaroya Hall re-issue!

Comments

• Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    Maybe it's been said at some point in this thread but I think re-issuing it would destroy it's legacy.  No one would care anymore.  It's such a unique part of PJ collecting history that it's better off being so special and elusive. Makes it much more special then it otherwise would be. 

It reminds me of when the Cubs finally won the word series after 108 years. That uniqueness about them is gone now since they won.  I think they were actually better of not winning the WS. It's much less exciting now that that story, that chase and elusiveness is over.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    When is the anniversary of the Benny anyways?
    The 20th anniversary of the show is October 22 this year.
    The 20th anniversary of it being released isn't until July 2024
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    also the 20th anniversary of them announcing and saying it's a limited edition :)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    It’s about the music. The collectibility legacy doesn’t matter IMO. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    You're not wrong, but this is sort of the strange logic about fans obsessing over a Benaroya Hall reissue.

If it is just about the music, it's there already easily accessible. But it doesn't appear to be about the music, it is about the format of the music.  Which is purely driven by the limited edition aspect of the box set.

I've always said that fandom has way overvalued the Benaroya Hall boxset.  Pouring time and energy into reissuing this only delays better and more interesting projects of material we have not heard officially.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    PB11041 said:
    You're not wrong, but this is sort of the strange logic about fans obsessing over a Benaroya Hall reissue.

If it is just about the music, it's there already easily accessible. But it doesn't appear to be about the music, it is about the format of the music.  Which is purely driven by the limited edition aspect of the box set.

I've always said that fandom has way overvalued the Benaroya Hall boxset.  Pouring time and energy into reissuing this only delays better and more interesting projects of material we have not heard officially.
    Completely agree.  It is widely available on other formats if it was just about the music.

But it's not, it's about the limited aspect of the vinyl.  Just like Reeenk Roink.  If that were about just the music then it wouldn't be what it is.  It's limited, it's unique, it's special. 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 427
    Guarantee everyone against a reissue already owns one. Bunch of vinyl NIMBYs  ;)

IMO mass producing a simple version of this on black wax would not devalue the original much. The original was printed in such small numbers relative to today's production runs in a vinyl-resurgent world. It will always be the original and if they keep it the only version on colored wax that would even further add to collectibility for those who care about such things. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    BF25394 said:
    With two good speakers, a high end turntable, cartridge and decent amp you don’t need anything else but two in the front. 
    Before I hooked up the other speakers, the sound of CD audio through the two front speakers was outstanding and superior to audio from records. Now, the six-speaker experience with the CDs is mind-blowing. It's like my whole collection is brand-new. I guess I would want you to have that experience before giving credence to the statement you're making.
    I’m vinyl all the way. To be honest, doesn’t really matter to me what other people think but there is one simple truth, the equipment matters. 
    My point was, with my set up I close my eyes and they are in the room. NY @ Massey Hall is another example of a mind blowing vinyl listening experience. 

If you prefer the Benny on cd, that’s great. The people on this thread (who don’t own one) want a wax copy. 
    The equipment matters far more than vinyl vs CD. I would guess the average person, myself included, doesn't have high end enough equipment to really hear an improvement. I still prefer spinning the record anyway.
  • mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    With two good speakers, a high end turntable, cartridge and decent amp you don’t need anything else but two in the front. 
    Before I hooked up the other speakers, the sound of CD audio through the two front speakers was outstanding and superior to audio from records. Now, the six-speaker experience with the CDs is mind-blowing. It's like my whole collection is brand-new. I guess I would want you to have that experience before giving credence to the statement you're making.
    I’m vinyl all the way. To be honest, doesn’t really matter to me what other people think but there is one simple truth, the equipment matters. 
    My point was, with my set up I close my eyes and they are in the room. NY @ Massey Hall is another example of a mind blowing vinyl listening experience. 

If you prefer the Benny on cd, that’s great. The people on this thread (who don’t own one) want a wax copy. 
    The equipment matters far more than vinyl vs CD. I would guess the average person, myself included, doesn't have high end enough equipment to really hear an improvement. I still prefer spinning the record anyway.

...all those people with their USB record players using really fancy computer speakers.

I know they're out there.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    JBob87 said:
    Guarantee everyone against a reissue already owns one. Bunch of vinyl NIMBYs  ;)

IMO mass producing a simple version of this on black wax would not devalue the original much. The original was printed in such small numbers relative to today's production runs in a vinyl-resurgent world. It will always be the original and if they keep it the only version on colored wax that would even further add to collectibility for those who care about such things. 
    I'm not against it, but was trying to point out it's possible it never gets reissued.  When it came out the 10c specifically said it was limited edition, so as much as people ask, they might stick to that.   On the other hand, they've changed their minds before, so there's always hope.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    The only people that care about a re-issue are the ones that want to profit off of it. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJammin' said:
    The only people that care about a re-issue are the ones that want to profit off of it. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I just want to spin it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Zod said:
    JBob87 said:

I'm not against it, but was trying to point out it's possible it never gets reissued.  When it came out the 10c specifically said it was limited edition, so as much as people ask, they might stick to that.   On the other hand, they've changed their minds before, so there's always hope.
    The wine colored Benaroya Hall 4 LP set was limited edition. 

A black colored version Benaroya Hall would not falsify that the wine colored Benaroya Hall is still limited to 2,000 copies. Integrity preserved. 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJammin' said:
    I just want to spin it.  
    I mean, the people that don’t want it to happen.  
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    edited February 2023
    Zod said:
    JBob87 said:

The wine colored Benaroya Hall 4 LP set was limited edition. 

A black colored version Benaroya Hall would not falsify that the wine colored Benaroya Hall is still limited to 2,000 copies. Integrity preserved. 

I think when they announced it, it wasn't their intent that one day they would release it any form.  I think it was their intent it was a limited edition released.

That being said, I don't think it really matters if they go against it, and put out a duplicate, new version with new color, etc.. I guess it depends if they ever intend to reissue something they originally intended to press once and make it limited edition.  I don't think anyone back then (When only diehards were still buying vinyl) would of predicted how popular vinyl has gotten.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    After 20 years, even owners of the OG would want another to spin , right?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Right.
  • anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 383
    Yep.  Have it, and I was at the show, so when I spin it, it's an experience for me and it takes me back.  I only spin it on very rare occasions now and when I do, I'm always afraid I'll mess it up.  It never happens, but the thought is still there.  As long a a reissue sounded as good I'd spin that much more frequently and would be glad to have it.

Listening to the cd works of coarse, but for me when I listen to a record that's all I'm doing and I'm in the moment.  A cd I easily get distracted and do other things.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    goldrush said:
    When is the anniversary of the Benny anyways?
    The 20th anniversary of the show is October 22 this year.
    The 20th anniversary of it being released isn't until July 2024

It would be so sweet if they do reissue the vinyl on October 22nd 2023.

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    Yep.  Have it, and I was at the show, so when I spin it, it's an experience for me and it takes me back.  I only spin it on very rare occasions now and when I do, I'm always afraid I'll mess it up.  It never happens, but the thought is still there.  As long a a reissue sounded as good I'd spin that much more frequently and would be glad to have it.

Listening to the cd works of coarse, but for me when I listen to a record that's all I'm doing and I'm in the moment.  A cd I easily get distracted and do other things.
    I don't understand this. Why would the format make a difference? How is a CD more distracting than a record?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 383
    BF25394 said:

I don't understand this. Why would the format make a difference? How is a CD more distracting than a record?
    It's not more distracting, but it's easier to get distracted.  When I listen to a record for me personally, I sit down and that's what I'm doing because I have to be there to change sides.  I don't listen to records every day, so when I do, I make sure I'm more in the moment and focused on it.  Listening to something as a cd or digitally I do all the time, it's easier to just start doing other stuff at the same time because I don't have to focus on it as much, or I want something in the background.  I don't put records on for background music.  But that's just me.  
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    BF25394 said:

It's not more distracting, but it's easier to get distracted.  When I listen to a record for me personally, I sit down and that's what I'm doing because I have to be there to change sides.  I don't listen to records every day, so when I do, I make sure I'm more in the moment and focused on it.  Listening to something as a cd or digitally I do all the time, it's easier to just start doing other stuff at the same time because I don't have to focus on it as much, or I want something in the background.  I don't put records on for background music.  But that's just me.  
    Exactly. It’s simple math. You can throw on a 70 min cd and leave the house if you want. The cd will stop playing when it’s done. 
    Vinyl takes special care and attention, it’s kind of a pain in the ass, and it’s why I love it.
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    BF25394 said:

Exactly. It’s simple math. You can throw on a 70 min cd and leave the house if you want. The cd will stop playing when it’s done. 
    Vinyl takes special care and attention, it’s kind of a pain in the ass, and it’s why I love it.
    All true, but the funny thing is, 35 years ago, those same arguments in favor of vinyl were the exact same arguments against it: it's too much of a pain, too fragile, etc. At this point, why even mess with CD's? Streaming is even more convenient and sounds just as good, if not better. At least to my non-audiophile ears.
  • AO253126 said:
    BF25394 said:

All true, but the funny thing is, 35 years ago, those same arguments in favor of vinyl were the exact same arguments against it: it's too much of a pain, too fragile, etc. At this point, why even mess with CD's? Streaming is even more convenient and sounds just as good, if not better. At least to my non-audiophile ears.
    Oh my wife would love you! She wonders why I buy records too 
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I’d rather have something that hasn’t been released.  
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    BF25394 said:

But this is entirely a self-created thing. Music takes special care and attention, not the format it's on. You either choose to actively listen or you don't, whether it's a CD or an LP. I sit down and listen to CDs and records from start to finish literally every day. Just because you have to turn a record over after 20 minutes, it's a bit of a stretch to call that "special care and attention." It's a bug, not a feature. It's one of the reasons why records became obsolete in the first place.

It's funny that for 30 years after vinyl was phased out, people didn't seem to have this problem with CDs. Records were obsolete for the vast majority of the listening public. Then they became fashionable for some reason* and a bunch of people convinced themselves that they can't do without this technology that they did perfectly well without for decades. I guess I shouldn't complain about this since it means that the Lost Dogs record I bought for $20.00 when it came out in 2003 because hardly anybody cared about records anymore is now worth $500.00 (and something similar for every other Pearl Jam record I own from that interregnum between the phaseout and resurgence of vinyl).

Another thing about this phenomenon that I find funny is that I have a flip phone that I bought new in 2019. I am regularly mocked (in a friendly way) for using this "20th-century technology" by people who swear by a technology that Thomas Edison pioneered in the 19th century. Is there any other example of an outdated technology coming back around into vogue like this? Are people going to start bringing back the VCR? The brick-sized cell phone? Car windows that you have to roll down manually?

* It actually makes more sense to me that Generation Z would gravitate to records because they don't really have any experience with physical media, including CDs, and the novelty and tangibility of a record would have a certain appeal to them as a totem. It makes less sense to me that Generation X, which grew up with records and willingly abandoned them in favor of CDs, now turns around and pretends like none of it ever happened. If the average 50-year-old vinyl enthusiast had been a little more loyal to the format in the mid-1980s, maybe they could have sustained a market for it instead of allowing it to be phased out.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

But this is entirely a self-created thing. Music takes special care and attention, not the format it's on. You either choose to actively listen or you don't, whether it's a CD or an LP. I sit down and listen to CDs and records from start to finish literally every day. Just because you have to turn a record over after 20 minutes, it's a bit of a stretch to call that "special care and attention." It's a bug, not a feature. It's one of the reasons why records became obsolete in the first place.

It's funny that for 30 years after vinyl was phased out, people didn't seem to have this problem with CDs. Records were obsolete for the vast majority of the listening public. Then they became fashionable for some reason* and a bunch of people convinced themselves that they can't do without this technology that they did perfectly well without for decades. I guess I shouldn't complain about this since it means that the Lost Dogs record I bought for $20.00 when it came out in 2003 because hardly anybody cared about records anymore is now worth $500.00 (and something similar for every other Pearl Jam record I own from that interregnum between the phaseout and resurgence of vinyl).

Another thing about this phenomenon that I find funny is that I have a flip phone that I bought new in 2019. I am regularly mocked (in a friendly way) for using this "20th-century technology" by people who swear by a technology that Thomas Edison pioneered in the 19th century. Is there any other example of an outdated technology coming back around into vogue like this? Are people going to start bringing back the VCR? The brick-sized cell phone? Car windows that you have to roll down manually?

* It actually makes more sense to me that Generation Z would gravitate to records because they don't really have any experience with physical media, including CDs, and the novelty and tangibility of a record would have a certain appeal to them as a totem. It makes less sense to me that Generation X, which grew up with records and willingly abandoned them in favor of CDs, now turns around and pretends like none of it ever happened. If the average 50-year-old vinyl enthusiast had been a little more loyal to the format in the mid-1980s, maybe they could have sustained a market for it instead of allowing it to be phased out.
    Special care and attention -way more than flipping the wax. 
    Lots of people own Lost Dogs. Great sounding record. Love to spin it. Priceless. 
    The flip phone probably isn’t old enough to be cool again and that’s probably why you are mocked. Rather enigmatic for someone arguing so vehemently against old technology to buy one.  

Some things never become cool again, some things do. It seems pretty irrelevant to lump all consumer goods under one umbrella. 
    A great vinyl record isn’t a flip phone or automatic windows. Nether of those things have ever elicited an emotional response from me. I never got shivers opening up a flip phone or brought to tears by how special it was to roll down a car window manually. 

• BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

Lots of people own Lost Dogs. Great sounding record. Love to spin it. Priceless. 
    The flip phone probably isn’t old enough to be cool again and that’s probably why you are mocked. Rather enigmatic for someone arguing so vehemently against old technology to buy one.  

Some things never become cool again, some things do. It seems pretty irrelevant to lump all consumer goods under one umbrella. 
    A great vinyl record isn’t a flip phone or automatic windows. Nether of those things have ever elicited an emotional response from me. I never got shivers opening up a flip phone or brought to tears by how special it was to roll down a car window manually. 

👆This is freaking poetic! 💚
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Another? Still sealed.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

I have a Jeep Patriot with a manual transmission, roll up windows and manually locked doors. My kids call it the Amish Jeep.