Options

Please Pearl Jam, consider a VINYL Benaroya Hall re-issue!

Comments

• Options
    doctorvikdoctorvik granger, IN Posts: 123
    Sarava wrote: »
    PJ themselves just sold one of these for about a thousand on ebay, didn't they? They aren't going to turn around and re-issue it right after doing that. As much as I wish they would.
    -- over 1300
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    SD48277 wrote: »
    I don't like all the negative energy in here :smiling_imp: I will stay optimistic. One day, this is gonna happen and all the Bennyless will be Bennied. Why does this need to be exclusively for the rich? And a lot of them don't even get opened and spun. It is a sad, sad world :expressionless:
    I will never understand buying vinyl and keeping it sealed/not playing it. Especially this set. My goodness that wine color is just downright sexy!

I never understand this, either. Vinyl is meant to be played!

Yes to this!!!
    Viva la Vinyl

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    lolobugg wrote: »
    I don't like all the negative energy in here :smiling_imp: I will stay optimistic. One day, this is gonna happen and all the Bennyless will be Bennied. Why does this need to be exclusively for the rich? And a lot of them don't even get opened and spun. It is a sad, sad world :expressionless:
    I will never understand buying vinyl and keeping it sealed/not playing it. Especially this set. My goodness that wine color is just downright sexy!

Yes to this!!!
    Viva la Vinyl
    Yea, but collectors collect. Just like all those people that keep toys in their 'original packaging'
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Well, this is why we suggest a different packaging and different coloured records. I bet some of the people who have two or three sealed Bennies (yes, they are exisiting) will rejoice and add a third or fourth copy, and maybe they will feel like opening and spinning that one without lowering the value of their original first press :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    MedozK wrote: »

Yes to this!!!
    Viva la Vinyl
    Yea, but collectors collect. Just like all those people that keep toys in their 'original packaging'

Yeah, I know that people do this, but this is meant to be enjoyed. People that keep things sealed just remind me of folks who never use the "good china" for meals. Life is short, fuckin' enjoy what ya got.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Amen to that :smiley:
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Well I would...if I had one... :-<
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    edited January 2015

It wasn't really intended to be for the rich. Originally it was intended to be for (roughly) 2000 fans at a price of $35 per set. It took nearly 48 hours to sell out (ie most people that wanted one got one.. at the time). It was a decent sized pressing for the time, but was also intended to be a limited item. I don't think it was intended for the rich, that's something that happened with fans afterwards.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    keep things sealed just remind me of folks who never use the "good china" for meals..
    =))
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

Yes to this!!!
    Viva la Vinyl
    Collectors collect dust & envy, that's all. :P
    The difference being you can usually see a toy thru the packaging. You can evaluate the condition of the 'collectible' without opening it. Now, I realize that you can find value in the record packaging itself, unlike a toy which is basically just in a display box with a cardboard back. But the intended purpose of the record is to be played on a turntable; the music is to be heard. Someone buys a sealed toy, odds are they're going to keep it sealed as well. That's not always the case with records.
    Besides, opening and playing a record doesn't make it any less a part of someone's collection. To each their own, I just wish people who actually want to listen to the music didn't have to miss out because a copy is sitting on someone else's shelf unused.
  • Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    That's ok, Since Lost Dogs is now surfacing as a Pirate copy, its only a matter of time. Benny Bootleg versions are just around the corner.
  • Options

A record is not a toy.
    Stamp collections - fine, it's not like you are going to put a rare 1950 stamp on an envelope to mail something.
    Coin collections, doll collections, hockey card collections - all collections you can do something with.

Collecting sealed records is stupid.
  • Options
    I think a toy should be played with, keeping it sealed is just as "Stupid" as sealed vinyl.
  • Options
    I think a toy should be played with, keeping it sealed is just as "Stupid" as sealed vinyl.

Agreed.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

This made me think of my daughter and if I gave her a toy and made her keep it in the box....
    hahahaha

I have the mentality of a two year old when it comes to vinyl... I rip that sucker open and spin it right away.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I have the mentality of a two year old when it comes to vinyl... I rip that sucker open and spin it right away.

That's the right attitude...vinyl is meant to be played!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    Open, spin, enjoy. Why anyone would just wanna sit and look at a sealed piece of wax I just don't understand. "Wow nice you have that on vinyl?!? How's it sound?" Person with sealed record..."oh I don't know I just like to look at it". :-q
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

A record is not a toy.
    Stamp collections - fine, it's not like you are going to put a rare 1950 stamp on an envelope to mail something.
    Coin collections, doll collections, hockey card collections - all collections you can do something with.

Collecting sealed records is stupid.

I am pretty sure most people that have old/collectible coins, cards, comics, or whatever have them in highly protective packaging and they just sit in boxes or on a shelf somewhere. Not sure what you can really "do" with those types of collections. Maybe put the hockey cards in your bike spokes? Play quarters with old coins?

No comment on dolls...they are fucking creepy

I fully support a re-issue, but I also understand why people keep them sealed and have no problem with it. To each their own.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Abe Froman wrote: »
    Open, spin, enjoy. Why anyone would just wanna sit and look at a sealed piece of wax I just don't understand. "Wow nice you have that on vinyl?!? How's it sound?" Person with sealed record..."oh I don't know I just like to look at it". :-q

Partly why I just sold a huge chunk of my PJ bootleg collection. The cds are just sat there. I've copied them to my laptop and played them. Then they just sit on the shelf collecting dust. Some I've not even checked because I ended up with download links before the cds arrived from Nugs.

I really don't get why people buy vinyl and never open it. Each to their own I guess.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I might not completely understand the sealed keepers mentality, but I think everybody should do as they please with their property. I would spin the hell out of mine. If a couple more would be available, and for a more realistic price, we would not even have this discussion. A reissue would make so many people happy :smiley:
  • Options
    wecrazybobwecrazybob Posts: 1,027
    You think the band even pays attention to these posts? ??
    Toledo, Oh 09-22-96, Chicago, Illinois 06-29-98, Portland, Oregon 07-18-98, Vancouver, British Columbia 07-19-98, Seattle 07-21-98, Seattle 07-22-98, Noblesville, Indiana 08-17-98, East Lansing, Michigan 08-18-98, Barrie, Ontario 08-22-98, Auburn Hills, Michigan 08-23-98, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 08-25-98, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 08-26-98, Camden, Camden, New Jersey 08-28-98 Camden, New Jersey 08-29-98,Knoxville, Tennessee 09-06-98, Columbia, Maryland 09-18-98,Mountain View, California 10-30-99,Mountain View, California 10-31-99, Virginia Beach, Virginia 08-03-00,Charlotte, North Carolina 08-04-00,Greensboro, North Carolina 08-06-00, Atlanta, Georgia 08-07-00,West Palm Beach, Florida 08-09-00,West Palm Beach, Florida 08-10-00,Tampa, Florida 08-12-00,New Orleans, Louisiana 08-14-00,Memphis, Tennessee 08-15-00,Nashville, Tennessee 08-17-00, Noblesville, Indiana 08-18-00,Cincinnati, Ohio 08-20-00,Columbus, Ohio 08-21-00, Wantagh, New York 08-23-00, Wantagh, New York 08-24-00,Wantagh, New York 08-25-00, Saratoga Springs, New York 08-27-00,Mansfield, Massachusetts 08-29-00,Mansfield, Massachusetts 08-30-00,Camden, New Jersey 09-01-00,Camden, New Jersey 09-02-00,Columbia, Maryland 09-04-00,Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 09-05-00,Auburn Hills, Michigan 10-07-00, East Troy, Wisconsin 10-08-00,Chicago, Illinois 10-09-00,Cleveland, Ohio 04-25-03,Columbus, Ohio 06-24-03,Kitchener, ON 09-11-05, London, ON 9-12-05,Hamilton, ON 9-13-05,Cincinnati, Ohio 06-24-06, Chicago, Illinois 7-19-13, Cincinnati, Ohio 10-01-14, St. Louis, Missouri 10-03-14, Memphis, Tennessee 10-14-14,Detroit, Michigan 10-16-14, Moline, Illinois 10-17-14, Columbia SC 4-21-16 , Lexington KY 4-26-16, Philadelphia PA 4-28-16, Philadelphia PA 4-29-16, Boston 8-5-16 , Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16, Chicago 8-22-16, Seattle 8-8-18, Seattle 8-10-18, Missoula 8-13-18, Chicago 8-18-18, Chicago 8-20-18, Boston 9-2-18, Boston 9-4-18
  • Options
    Well, there have been instances that seem to prove that they at least get notified of certain things happening on here, so I think it might be very well possible that they know of this little petition. Plus, I started this thread in February 2011, so it has been on here for a while. And I intend to keep it going. It doesn't hurt anyone :)
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    You sure are persistent, Leez. I hope they do this. Or maybe do a similar show this year and release that...we need more special shows on vinyl. I'm new to vinyl and most of this stuff is way out of my budget.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have other PJ shows on vinyl and they are all awesome. This one, however, is very special because it is not a normal show, but rather acoustic. And the song selection is excellent. I have listened to it so many times and it never gets old. I love it more than any other shows.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I really wish they reissue this again on vinyl. What a great album, and my CD was stolen in Hawaii. Definitely not any aloha with that!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    boyo79 wrote: »
    Abe Froman wrote: »

Partly why I just sold a huge chunk of my PJ bootleg collection. The cds are just sat there. I've copied them to my laptop and played them. Then they just sit on the shelf collecting dust. Some I've not even checked because I ended up with download links before the cds arrived from Nugs.

I really don't get why people buy vinyl and never open it. Each to their own I guess.
    Honestly, with a lot of collectible things I try to buy 2, one that I play and the other stays sealed. Many things I can't get two of, or just don't want to spend the money for two.

With Hi-res digital now though, I could buy one copy, then buy the 24bit/192kHz file and have the best of both worlds. The collectible sealed vinyl, and the 'superior' sound of the digital file.

There is only a few records that I only have one copy of and it stays sealed. Binaural and RVM, I bought them sealed and just can't get myself to open them. The rest of PJ, I have at least one that is open.
  • Options
    I admit sometimes when I got something like the white Backspacer or the Coke Bottle Ten, I was tempted at first to leave it closed, but that lasted only a very short time. Once I ripped the foil open, these records became mine and served the purpose I was buying them for - to listen to them. I don't know how anybody can sit still and not stare at the package of a Benny and be tempted to rip it open to see that gorgeous wine coloured vinyl and put it on and let the room, the air and the heart be filled with those magical, warm, soothing, feel good sounds...

But yeah, to each their own. I should ever get a Benaroya Hall vinyl into my hands, the shrink will come right off as soon as I am close to a record player. I will cherish it forever and give it a spin at least once every week (after the first rush has worn off hehe).
  • Options
    Please, Pearl Jam, re-issue Benaroya Hall on vinyl.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    But yeah, to each their own. I should ever get a Benaroya Hall vinyl into my hands, the shrink will come right off as soon as I am close to a record player. I will cherish it forever and give it a spin at least once every week (after the first rush has worn off hehe).
    Well, mine still has the shrink, but its open and played. Haven't spun it enough really, just so much other good music and so little time.

Good luck on getting one.
  • Options
    It is good to hear that you have spun it :)