Options

Please Pearl Jam, consider a VINYL Benaroya Hall re-issue!

Comments

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    mfc2006 wrote:
    The only way I'll ever own this is if they reissue it!

:!: :!:
  • Options
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    More fans the merrier the original is already their for the collectors
    now give an issue for the Fans!

And this statement is all there is to say about the "it will hurt the collector" argument. The "real" Benny and the reissued Benny would never be confused for one another (pretty easy to tell Ten and Ten re-issue apart, no?) and the folks buying the reissue would be doing so to LISTEN TO IT (crazy, I know).

If the value of the original stems from the fact that it is denying the masses a listen, then that's disappointing. You'd like to believe that its value stems from just being rare and unique.... in which case a reproduction would have minimal, if any, impact on the value of the original.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,770
    Originals always keep their value!

This is for the fans and everyone else who can't justify $1000 record....
    They could do a pre-order like they did with the reissue of the PJ20 DVD.

Please Reissue!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,235
    ckravitz wrote:
    RobbyD462 wrote:

And this statement is all there is to say about the "it will hurt the collector" argument. The "real" Benny and the reissued Benny would never be confused for one another (pretty easy to tell Ten and Ten re-issue apart, no?) and the folks buying the reissue would be doing so to LISTEN TO IT (crazy, I know).

If the value of the original stems from the fact that it is denying the masses a listen, then that's disappointing. You'd like to believe that its value stems from just being rare and unique.... in which case a reproduction would have minimal, if any, impact on the value of the original.

To be fair a reissue would make it less rare and unique. The new copies would be different, but there would be additional copies. A bunch of people who would of been into collecting the wine red vinyl version would make do with the black version. (Substitution effect).

If money is a measure of how collectible something is (because its how much someone is willing to pay to acquire the item), I wouldn't be surprised if Benaroya originals dropped below $500 in value if it was re-released. Mainly because there would be substitutes available, and why pay 1500 for a sealed original when you can pay 50 bux for a reissue. The substitute effect would lessen the collectable nature of the original.

I'm not saying if that's good or bad, just that I disagree with the post that vinyl reissues don't impact the collectable nature of the original. I'm kind of doubting the ebay sellers are going to get $150 to $200 for their original Mad Season records now that it's been reissued :)
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    RobbyD462 wrote:

To be fair a reissue would make it less rare and unique. The new copies would be different, but there would be additional copies. A bunch of people who would of been into collecting the wine red vinyl version would make do with the black version. (Substitution effect).

If money is a measure of how collectible something is (because its how much someone is willing to pay to acquire the item), I wouldn't be surprised if Benaroya originals dropped below $500 in value if it was re-released. Mainly because there would be substitutes available, and why pay 1500 for a sealed original when you can pay 50 bux for a reissue. The substitute effect would lessen the collectable nature of the original.

I'm not saying if that's good or bad, just that I disagree with the post that vinyl reissues don't impact the collectable nature of the original. I'm kind of doubting the ebay sellers are going to get $150 to $200 for their original Mad Season records now that it's been reissued :)

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily disagree. My second paragraph was really meant to just be a commentary on the somewhat unique situation a rare "collectible" vinyl creates. Unlike a baseball card, vase, or painting (for example), the demand for a rare vinyl goes beyond the desire to have and display purely as a result of rarity. People also want them so that they can listen to them and I would argue this group is even larger than those that like to merely collect due to uniqueness. As a result, I am personally unsympathetic to collector value depreciation **WHEN** the value of the item is largely driven by demand from those that want to actually use it, which is why I mentioned IF the demand/value was based solely on being rare and unique, then a reissue wouldn't have any impact. We know this not to be the case, that actually the collectors realize value appreciation because others want it just to actually use. So yes, a reissue would have an impact.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be anti-collector in any way. But I have ZERO sympathy for someone that picked up Benny for a few hundred dollars but rails against the reissue idea because it will drive their value down to 600 or whatever.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    ckravitz wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be anti-collector in any way. But I have ZERO sympathy for someone that picked up Benny for a few hundred dollars but rails against the reissue idea because it will drive their value down to 600 or whatever.

:thumbup:
    And I am not anti-collector either. In fact, I am some kind of a collector myself, but I play all my vinyl. They could make the re-issue a little different, change the distribution of the songs on each side for example, to make it maybe also interesting for the 2000 who already have one. I am still of the opinion that a re-issue would not really lower the desirability of the original 2000. People who want to have the real deal will still be on the hunt. And who said that the stuff you are spending your money on will never change in value? This is one of the risks a collector has to take imho ...
  • Options
    mr_canadamr_canada Posts: 555
    Just reissue it already...along with all your releases. For a band who loves vinyl, I find it strange that they won't help their fans out.

As for the fact that it was sold as a limited item...they blew it when they reissued the limited PJ20 Deluxe Set.

Stop fucking the fans over.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,235
    ckravitz wrote:
    As a result, I am personally unsympathetic to collector value depreciation **WHEN** the value of the item is largely driven by demand from those that want to actually use it, which is why I mentioned IF the demand/value was based solely on being rare and unique, then a reissue wouldn't have any impact.

I got that part. I did disagree with the last part there. Even if the value is derived from it being rare and unique, a reissue would still dig into that. If the thing were readily available (even if it the reissue was slightly different) its not as unique anymore. It's just two different points of view :)
  • Options
    Just coming home from a nice night out with friends and wishing we would have this to spin ... The mp3 will do for now. But dammit, this is such a freaking fantastic piece of music to listen to. Please think about releasing a vinyl re-issue of this, please! Thank you ...
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Just coming home from a nice night out with friends and wishing we would have this to spin ... The mp3 will do for now. But dammit, this is such a freaking fantastic piece of music to listen to. Please think about releasing a vinyl re-issue of this, please! Thank you ...
    :):)
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    even if they charged 300 dollars , if it went to charity I'd still buy it.

Enough is enough it's time for a reissue.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    Pearl Jam PJ20 Blu-ray Deluxe First Pressing now sells for about $70-80 on Ebay.

Pretty big fall from it's 500-600 price tag when it first sold out.

but reissues don't have an effect on market value....
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    Dillsnufus wrote:

Why wouldn't you buy it if it went right into Pearl Jam's pockets?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    Dillsnufus wrote:

Why wouldn't you buy it if it went right into Pearl Jam's pockets?

yea probably would too but I don't think PJ would justifiably charge that much for their own pockets. Unless they had a kickstarter for something.

People who want to actually enjoy their stuff and not just resell it after a couple years should be first priority.
  • Options
    Bump :shifty:
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Just wait 10 years and they'll include it in the Riot Act/Avocado super deluxe box set. It will be 2LP's and only 6 songs will be missing from the show.
  • Options
    Just wait 10 years and they'll include it in the Riot Act/Avocado super deluxe box set. It will be 2LP's and only 6 songs will be missing from the show.
    :|
  • Options
    mr_canadamr_canada Posts: 555
    Let's go already.

Word on the street is Tool's new album is coming out this century.
  • Options
    :wave: I hope everybody is having a good summer :)
  • Options
    Long time no .... bump! So here it is :wave:
  • Options
    drumlax15drumlax15 Posts: 4
    Bump
  • Options
    drumlax15 wrote:
    Bump

Nice first post :thumbup: :mrgreen: Welcome to the boards :wave:
  • Options
    drumlax15drumlax15 Posts: 4
    drumlax15 wrote:
    Bump

Haha thanks. I figured the more the merrier in this thread.
  • Options
    drumlax15 wrote:
    drumlax15 wrote:
    Bump

Haha thanks. I figured the more the merrier in this thread.

Right on :thumbup: :D
  • Options
    Pre-Wrigley bump :D
  • Options
    Maybe-a-second-Seattle-show-announcement-today-BUMP :wave:
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    this will never happen bump
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    H.Chinaski wrote:

:|

Don't-kill-the-spirit-BUMP ;)
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    I want two copies please????

BUMP
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920
    H.Chinaski wrote:

Might not happen here. But I'm SHOCKED there hasn't been any vinyl bootleg manufacturing company in Europe that hasn't attempted to release this. They have released so many other PJ & PJ related albums on various colored vinyl. But they can't create something this good.