Options

***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Anyone come across a Medium Rare vinyl I'd be much obliged.

Read that they've had some MRare's and Songs/Laundry Room at these pop up's.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,635
    saw them in Pitt last night.... great show as always, but damn, Ed absolutely crushes Dave in terms of live vocals. Dave needs to figure out a way to change the way he sings if he cares about playing for 10 or so more years. The chorus for the Pretender was very rough last night...
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Detroit show on Monday was a lot of fun. They covered some great classic rock songs, and played all of my favorite Foo songs. Highlight for me was Tom Petty's Break down. But they seriously don't compare to Pearl Jam as far as their own songs. Dave is cool as fuck, and they are awesome musicians. But there were multiple times when I couldn't wait for the song to be over.

I want PJ to play DTE! I fucking love that venue
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    And Royal Bloods killed it!
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Royal Blood is mega! Wish they were playing Wrigley.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I second all of that. Royal Blood is unreal. Really hope they come through Ohio on a headlining tour.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655

I second all of that. Royal Blood is unreal. Really hope they come through Ohio on a headlining tour.

They are definitely awesome in concert. Listening to the album actually does them no justice. They are so much better live.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    jonsey30 said:

Detroit show on Monday was a lot of fun. They covered some great classic rock songs, and played all of my favorite Foo songs. Highlight for me was Tom Petty's Break down. But they seriously don't compare to Pearl Jam as far as their own songs. Dave is cool as fuck, and they are awesome musicians. But there were multiple times when I couldn't wait for the song to be over.

I want PJ to play DTE! I fucking love that venue

I completely agree. I saw them in Noblesville last night.

I saw Dave Grohl being interviewed a few months back and he made some comments about how the FF doesn't do encores...basically that encores were stupid, etc. I didn't quite understand that but whatever.

What I did notice was the following:
    1. The FF play almost the exact same setlist every night. There are a few songs in the middle that are subbed out or moved around but they tend to open and close with the same stuff.
    2. They play mostly 25 songs per show
    3. They interrupt virtually every song with mid-song banter...mostly how loud and crazy the crowd is, how the crowd compares to other crowds, etc. Over and fucking over this happened.
    4. Dave likes to scream a lot. Mostly for no reason.
    5. They have a keyboard player that stood dead center in the back of the stage. Drums were in a corner stage left. This dork danced like someone at a grateful dead concert all night in front of the video screen. I really wanted him to leave. His keyboard solo reminded me of a 3 year old beating on a piano.
    6. Of the 25 songs they played last night 6 were covers....I found that odd. No Stacked Actors, no White Limo which are both of my favorite FF tunes.
    7. When heard back to back to back most of their tunes sounds exactly the same. Maybe that's why they play so many covers?

WOuld I go again? Not sure. I was really looking forward to this show and was pretty disappointed. I'm glad I didn't get Wrigley tickets....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You lost me at their songs sounding exactly the same, I've read it before, but I really don't hear it.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

5. They have a keyboard player that stood dead center in the back of the stage. Drums were in a corner stage left. This dork danced like someone at a grateful dead concert all night in front of the video screen. I really wanted him to leave. His keyboard solo reminded me of a 3 year old beating on a piano.

That's Rami Jaffee. I love what he adds to the band, and I love watching him perform. Too bad you didn't enjoy. He's super talented and way under-rated. He's not even considered a Foo by most but is on stage for pretty much the entire show.

He plays a track or two on Immagine in Cornice.
  • Options
    I kind of liked the "we don't do encores" thing. They played non-stop for 2.5 hours. But I wouldn't want PJ to do that, because they build so much suspense and atmosphere with songs like RVM, and then can slow it down to open another set. It's a roller coaster of emotions at a PJ show, not just a loud, screaming jumble of decent songs
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The weather today has a PJ Wrigley vibe to it ......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655

The weather today has a PJ Wrigley vibe to it ......

:fearful:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    But I did meet Taylor Hawkins outside Victoria's Secret in Chicago yesterday. :)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    Have fun at Wrigley everyone!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Wrigley was fun, but didn't really stand out any more or less than the Pitt show

20 years into their careers, no reason they can't mix up the setlist more. I doubt I would see them more than once on a tour again. Only reason I really even went to Pitt was for Royal Blood
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Wrigley was fun, but didn't really stand out any more or less than the Pitt show

20 years into their careers, no reason they can't mix up the setlist more. I doubt I would see them more than once on a tour again. Only reason I really even went to Pitt was for Royal Blood

AND why are they playing so many covers??
    They played 9 covers in the Detroit show:
    I'm the One (Van Halen cover)
    I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper cover)
    School's Out (Alice Cooper cover)
    I Wanna Be Your Dog (The Stooges cover)
    Search & Destroy (The Stooges cover)
    Detroit Rock City (KISS cover)
    Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie cover)
    Breakdown (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (Van Halen cover)

From looking at their setlists this tour,
    they are averaging 5 or 6 covers per show.
    I'd much rather hear some deeper cuts from the band I'm going to see,
    than a bunch of cover songs!!

I saw Foo Fighters back in 2011...they were just okay for me.
    Don't feel like I ever need to see them again,
    AND I certainly wouldn't travel to see them!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

That's what they do.

They play a ton of covers for the fun of it. They don't pretend to be an experience where one can be assured of transcendence, they just play music and enjoy doing it.

You're not wrong and I get your preferences, but it is what it is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I should have added that they play for 3 hours. Most bands play for 2. Consider the covers bonus material.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

derbydave said:

That's what they do.

They play a ton of covers for the fun of it. They don't pretend to be an experience where one can be assured of transcendence, they just play music and enjoy doing it.

You're not wrong and I get your preferences, but it is what it is.
    I can see that it's for "FUN"...
    and I get that they are doing the whole "Sonic Highway" theme,
    and doing songs with a LOCAL relationship,
    But when your whole setlist is only 25 or 26 songs,
    It just doesn't make sense to me,
    for a third of the songs you perform to be covers.
    :rock_on: :
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    derbydave said:

I really liked their under pressure cover. Curious to see that breakdown cover, might have to YouTube it. The thing about covers, and I felt this way at their Citi field show, they can be really great fun if you know and enjoy the original song, but they can also be incredibly deflating if you either don't know or don't care for the original song. As a casual fan, I could go either way.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

derbydave said:

I really liked their under pressure cover. Curious to see that breakdown cover, might have to YouTube it. The thing about covers, and I felt this way at their Citi field show, they can be really great fun if you know and enjoy the original song, but they can also be incredibly deflating if you either don't know or don't care for the original song. As a casual fan, I could go either way.
    I actually heard the Tom Petty "Breakdown" cover when I saw them at Nationwide Arena here in Columbus back in 2011...and they did a good job with it.
    They only did 2 covers that night, the other one being a pretty decent version of Pink Floyd's "In The Flesh."
    I'm not saying don't do covers...just wondering why you would choose to do so many, when you have a pretty good sizes catalog of original songs that most fans would love to hear.
    :rock_on:

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    derbydave said:

ldent42 said:

derbydave said:

I actually heard the Tom Petty "Breakdown" cover when I saw them at Nationwide Arena here in Columbus back in 2011...and they did a good job with it.
    They only did 2 covers that night, the other one being a pretty decent version of Pink Floyd's "In The Flesh."
    I'm not saying don't do covers...just wondering why you would choose to do so many, when you have a pretty good sizes catalog of original songs that most fans would love to hear.
    Yes for sure. 2-3 is fun. 5-6 is closer to 'you're sick of your own music'
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

derbydave said:

ldent42 said:

derbydave said:

Yes for sure. 2-3 is fun. 5-6 is closer to 'you're sick of your own music'
    AND what is 8 or 9!! :rofl:

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    They really kill a songs momentum by stopping it to get a crowd cheer or to talk to a crowd before going back into it. Happened a couple times like that (Walk is the first one to spring to mind).
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Based only on what I saw last night, the Foos are not always playing the entire song when they do a cover. They did pieces of different covers when they were "featuring" each band member last night
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:

Based only on what I saw last night, the Foos are not always playing the entire song when they do a cover. They did pieces of different covers when they were "featuring" each band member last night

That makes it a little better I guess...
    I thought it had something to do with the Sonic Highway theme of the tour!!
    :plus_one:

• Options
    Yeah not a huge fan of the covers. And in both shows.... That "solo" during "Outside" killed the crowd like no other
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,898
    PJ-Cubs said:

This is a good point. I think whoever lists out the set lists online gets a little over zealous trying to catalog every little teaser they're playing when they're doing band introductions. They do play full covers, but not as many that are listed. Love the "Breakdown" cover, especially when I saw them last and they played "Dear Rosemary" into it.

Yeah not a huge fan of the covers. And in both shows.... That "solo" during "Outside" killed the crowd like no other

That's a bummer to hear as "Outside" is my favorite song off Sonic Highways. I was fortunate to see them play it live with Joe Walsh, so that definitely made it really special for me.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    ldent42 said:

derbydave said:

I enjoyed their Under Pressure cover at Citi Field too, but I think I was one of 5 people on the rail who knew the words :disappointed: