Options

***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Options
    Music is subjective.

sub·jec·tive
    /səbˈjektiv/
    adjective
    1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
    "his views are highly subjective"
    synonyms: personal, individual, emotional, instinctive, intuitive
    "a subjective analysis"
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

I saw at least two ticket scalper sites that already have Fenway tickets for sale...... Unbelievable.

I'm gonna say it's prob someone who has access to tix from Fenway like someone on the board or something and doesn't give 2 shits about foos?
    BB,u going to RFK or just Citi ?
    RR, idk yet what shows I'm gonna hit. Mite just hit citi field cuz it's close. The Fourth of July show sounds like fun at rfk but I don't know if I can make it. U coming to citi? Let me know and maybe we can meet up if I end up going.
    Bb if I get tickets for citifield we can have an early b day celebration :-D
    It's on like donkey kong! If we go, we party!

And RR, let me know if you're hitting up citifield.
    BB,This year I was lucky and had some connections and was able to see them at the Super Bowl show In NYC with Zac Brown.Front row rail center.Insane.Then I was at the Richmond show-Fucking 1500 peeps epic show.Did have tickets for Nashville at the Opry andWrigley in Aug and RFK in July so probably no Citi.I would have come up for the garden.That being said as young empty nesters we travel a lot to see our Favs so I'm sure we will be bringing the Florida Sunshine up to NYC for some show.Ill keep ya in the loop.Hell,you are buying first round and we are always thirsty.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,762
    edited November 2014
    I sincerely did not know that was a joke and even though people are saying it is I still don't think that obvious at all. From a non-fan, that doesn't come off as a joke in any way, shape, or form. Foos music sounds super formulaic and canned - this isn't an unusual opinion and the reason people who don't like them don't like them - so IF that was a joke, it was the worst joke ever, since it just highlights what's actually wrong with the band's music.

I already said I don't give a shit who people like. I'm still allowed to wonder why though, right? Wondering why or how isn't a judgement. But I can tear down the Foos all I like. I don't approve of bashing people for being fans of something at all, but I have NO problem bashing bands that I think suck! Of course I justify my not liking their music by saying their music stinks. Anything else wouldn't make any sense. ;) Yes, music is subjective. That's why I'm stating everything as my opinion and not fact. I actually haven't said a single word to suggest anything else.

I don't compare PJ and FF at all because I don't find them comparable. I only came in here because I found the vid interesting and was curious what PJ fans who are FF fans would think of it.... apparently you all just thought it was funny.

:-?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,515
    I love the Foo Fighters...and Lionel Richie, Barry Manilow, Pantera, Beastie Boys, and Pat Green. Basically a lot of bands/singers that are nothing like PJ. Do you only listen to stuff that is directly related to PJ like only side projects or the band member's favorite bands or their stated influences?

Frankly I'm not a fan of Neil Young, The Who, The Ramones, and many of the other bands/artists that are synonymous with PJ, but I really love PJ. What about that?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,368
    I don't think it should be a surprise that people can be fans of PJ and Foo Fighters. They're both alternative rock bands who rose to fame in the 90s and, due to their history with Nirvana, FF are always going to be linked to the 'Seattle scene' (rightly or wrongly, it's something Dave Grohl will never escape from). It's the same reason some PJ fans also like Smashing Pumpkins, STP, or any of the other bands that were grouped together in the 90s (without resorting to using the "g****e" word!)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

I love the Foo Fighters...and Lionel Richie, Barry Manilow, Pantera, Beastie Boys, and Pat Green. Basically a lot of bands/singers that are nothing like PJ. Do you only listen to stuff that is directly related to PJ like only side projects or the band member's favorite bands or their stated influences?

Frankly I'm not a fan of Neil Young, The Who, The Ramones, and many of the other bands/artists that are synonymous with PJ, but I really love PJ. What about that?

I don't know why you think anything I've said suggests I only listen to PJ or think anyone should listen to bands loosely connected to PJ. That's not what I'm even talking about.

I also don't like the Who or the Ramones, and also love many different bands and many different kinds of music. That's why I'm in the forum called "Other Music" so often.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    To be honest, I disagree that all their music is 'canned rock' - I'd question whether you've listened to enough of their deeper album cuts to make that judgement. Song structure wise there is loads of variation in their catalogue.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

I saw at least two ticket scalper sites that already have Fenway tickets for sale...... Unbelievable.

I'm gonna say it's prob someone who has access to tix from Fenway like someone on the board or something and doesn't give 2 shits about foos?
    RR, idk yet what shows I'm gonna hit. Mite just hit citi field cuz it's close. The Fourth of July show sounds like fun at rfk but I don't know if I can make it. U coming to citi? Let me know and maybe we can meet up if I end up going.

BB,This year I was lucky and had some connections and was able to see them at the Super Bowl show In NYC with Zac Brown.Front row rail center.Insane.Then I was at the Richmond show-Fucking 1500 peeps epic show.Did have tickets for Nashville at the Opry andWrigley in Aug and RFK in July so probably no Citi.I would have come up for the garden.That being said as young empty nesters we travel a lot to see our Favs so I'm sure we will be bringing the Florida Sunshine up to NYC for some show.Ill keep ya in the loop.Hell,you are buying first round and we are always thirsty.
    It would be my pleasure RR. You guys come up north, I'll even throw in some pizza with the beers!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    On that note..... anyone got their Sonic Highways Mega Bundle :D
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,515
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know why you think anything I've said suggests I only listen to PJ or think anyone should listen to bands loosely connected to PJ. That's not what I'm even talking about.

I also don't like the Who or the Ramones, and also love many different bands and many different kinds of music. That's why I'm in the forum called "Other Music" so often.
    It's just that as others have pointed out your statement about how you can't imagine why a fan of PJ would like Foo Fighters because they are so dissimilar makes it sound like because you're a PJ fan you only like bands that are like PJ.

There's nothing wrong with you saying you don't like Foo Fighters for the reasons you mention, but prefacing your statements with what you said is what got everyone worked up.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Suziemay said:

I received mine but no sigs.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

To be honest, I disagree that all their music is 'canned rock' - I'd question whether you've listened to enough of their deeper album cuts to make that judgement. Song structure wise there is loads of variation in their catalogue.

I've listen to all of their albums.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

PJ_Soul said:

It's just that as others have pointed out your statement about how you can't imagine why a fan of PJ would like Foo Fighters because they are so dissimilar makes it sound like because you're a PJ fan you only like bands that are like PJ.

There's nothing wrong with you saying you don't like Foo Fighters for the reasons you mention, but prefacing your statements with what you said is what got everyone worked up.
    Clearly! :))
    But I really don't expect people to make such assumptions, since I wasn't talking about PJ fans being FF fans because they like bands similar sounding to PJ. I meant that it surprised me because the whole principle of music writing that PJ (and many, many other great bands that have no similarity to PJ) prescribes to is on a higher and more respectable level than FF's. I could easily replace FF with Nickelback and make the same argument (and probably most of you would have just agreed with me, lol). I am personally obsessed with music. Not just PJ. So much music. What I find a LOT stranger than PJ fans being FF fans is PJ fans who only listen to PJ or PJ-related shit. That's crazy. But hey, whatever turns their cranks!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why would you do that if you don't like them?

Honestly, I think a bigger musical snob could come along and use every argument you've used about Foo Fighters against Pearl Jam - and you would have no better defence than any of us have for the Foos. Both bands have made their millions from their hit singles - none of which are truly ground breaking with regards to originality. "Higher and more respectable"? How is Pearl Jam's music more respectable?!

And the NIckelback comparison is way off - people hate NIckelback because they basically picked up a dying genre of music, removed all that was good about it, and flogged it death.

Dave Grohl might not be the most sophisticated songwriter, and the Foos might not be the most consistent band, but he's passionate about music, and their music makes me happy, and that's good enough for me.

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    JK_Livin said:

Suziemay said:

I received mine but no sigs.
    Sigs? What sigs?! Where were they supposed to be? I put mine right back in the box because it's at work and I don't need everyone and their mother coming to check it out.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    Random mega bundle boxes were signed by the band.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm not a snob, FYI.

I listened to all of their albums because I really wanted to make sure that I didn't like them, since everyone else seems to. I wanted to really discover what it seemed I was missing or not getting. I always give different music a VERY fair shot before deciding I'm not into it. I listen to full albums, often more than once, even if I'm not into it, because experience tells me that my feelsing about music can change if I just give it enough of a chance, and I don't want to miss out on something I could really love just because I didn't give it the attention it deserves. So I've done that for the Foo Fighters.... and the decision is that I can't stand their music. :)

FWIW, FF totally reminds me of Nickelback in terms of how canned the music sounds. So I think it's a totally reasonable comparison.

Finally, I actually don't dislike Dave Grohl at all. I respect him, and he seems like a nice guy. I just don't like the FF's music.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

It would be my pleasure RR. You guys come up north, I'll even throw in some pizza with the beers!
    Oh shit.its on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not a snob, FYI.

I listened to all of their albums because I really wanted to make sure that I didn't like them, since everyone else seems to. I wanted to really discover what it seemed I was missing or not getting. I always give different music a VERY fair shot before deciding I'm not into it. I listen to full albums, often more than once, even if I'm not into it, because experience tells me that my feelsing about music can change if I just give it enough of a chance, and I don't want to miss out on something I could really love just because I didn't give it the attention it deserves. So I've done that for the Foo Fighters.... and the decision is that I can't stand their music. :)

FWIW, FF totally reminds me of Nickelback in terms of how canned the music sounds. So I think it's a totally reasonable comparison.

Finally, I actually don't dislike Dave Grohl at all. I respect him, and he seems like a nice guy. I just don't like the FF's music.

PJ,as much as it hurts that you don't like my Favorite band I would recommend seeing them live.You will be a believer after 3+ hours of ass kicking hard rock?
    I do get the you don't have to like a band because of association thing.Im not a big Bruce ,Ed solo ukulele stuff,or DMB fan.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Honestly, I think a bigger musical snob could come along and use every argument you've used about Foo Fighters against Pearl Jam - and you would have no better defence than any of us have for the Foos. Both bands have made their millions from their hit singles - none of which are truly ground breaking with regards to originality. "Higher and more respectable"? How is Pearl Jam's music more respectable?!

And the NIckelback comparison is way off - people hate NIckelback because they basically picked up a dying genre of music, removed all that was good about it, and flogged it death.

Dave Grohl might not be the most sophisticated songwriter, and the Foos might not be the most consistent band, but he's passionate about music, and their music makes me happy, and that's good enough for me.

I'm getting dragged to a nickelback show in March.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Hopefully for your sake there are fewer music snobs at the Nickleback show than there are on this thread.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Damn, well fucken said.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Oh man RR, my condolences ahead of the show. =))
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Gary Clark Jr. Added to dates - nice
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Oh shit!!!!!! Citi field? You coming to citifield?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Fenway would be nice too. Saw him @ MIA, and would love to see him again.
  • Options

badbrains said:

Fenway would be nice too. Saw him @ MIA, and would love to see him again.
    Guys insane. Saw him at terminal 5, fucken guy was a magician! Would rather see him alone but fuck it, 2 for 1 kick ass show.
  • Options
    He can wail.Amazing musician.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

He can wail.Amazing musician.

Looks like a shitload of us are in now. You got to make it up RR to the city. Gonna be a fun night!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,016
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not a snob, FYI.

PJ,as much as it hurts that you don't like my Favorite band I would recommend seeing them live.You will be a believer after 3+ hours of ass kicking hard rock?
    I do get the you don't have to like a band because of association thing.Im not a big Bruce ,Ed solo ukulele stuff,or DMB fan.
    To be honest... I've said the same thing to people about Pearl Jam concerts, and they've walked away feeling like their time and money was wasted. And that's what's great about music - different strokes for different folks: it's one of the best ways to express our individuality. The act of creating or consuming music has been proven to stimulate more sections of the brain than almost any other known activity, so how fascinating that my complete notion of what makes music good or bad will likely not equate to anyone else's in the world. PJ_Soul, good on ya for trying out other sounds before you pass judgment: if I hadn't have done that, I'd still be convinced that the Velvet Underground and Nico is just experimental nonsense (at this point, after my third listen, I had an epiphany and was awestruck). For me, my musical tastes vary almost daily - for example, I haven't listened to Pearl Jam in probably three months, and that's just because I haven't been feeling it. Maybe I'll come back to them soon, but I don't have control over that, my mood does. I also haven't been on a Foo bender lately, but when I do feel the urge, Skin and Bones, their acoustic live album, has been fantastic for me.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1