Options

***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Options
    If anyone on here knows of anyone with a spare standing ticket to the Wembley Stadium show on the 20th June, I'd be very interested! Cheers
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Good luck to all those who are vying for tickets today. :-bd
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I booked a long awaited trip to UK(my wife is British and hasn't been back since she was a kid)A couple months ago.I fucking leave the UK 2days before the first show.That fucking sucks.I would love to experience a Wembley show.The DVD is one of my favs.But I guess I'll have to just appreciate the fact that I will go to about 6-7 FF dates here in the States.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    badbrains said:

I saw at least two ticket scalper sites that already have Fenway tickets for sale...... Unbelievable.

I'm gonna say it's prob someone who has access to tix from Fenway like someone on the board or something and doesn't give 2 shits about foos?
    BB,u going to RFK or just Citi ?
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    badbrains said:

I saw at least two ticket scalper sites that already have Fenway tickets for sale...... Unbelievable.

I'm gonna say it's prob someone who has access to tix from Fenway like someone on the board or something and doesn't give 2 shits about foos?
    Yeah, the Fenway management definitely is in bed with scalpers. How else do you think that the red sox had such a long sellout streak when there were games with many empty seats? However, the tickets online could also be from season ticket holders that get advanced access. I used to have a 10-game pack and they would almost always give me that opportunity.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Well, got to the palace right at 8, was about 25th in line, and then with the random draw, I was about 175th person to buy tickets. So they seats aren't the greatest, but left side row BB. I'm gonna see what the online sale has available. Would like to get closer and more center
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    jonsey30 said:

Well, got to the palace right at 8, was about 25th in line, and then with the random draw, I was about 175th person to buy tickets. So they seats aren't the greatest, but left side row BB. I'm gonna see what the online sale has available. Would like to get closer and more center

I hate the random draw idea. Should be first come first serve

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

RR, idk yet what shows I'm gonna hit. Mite just hit citi field cuz it's close. The Fourth of July show sounds like fun at rfk but I don't know if I can make it. U coming to citi? Let me know and maybe we can meet up if I end up going.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    edited November 2014
    Wow.
    Not sure how FF has fans who also love PJ.... but since that is obviously the case, how do you FF fans feel about this clip??

David Grohl shows how to make a pop song:

http://youtu.be/YFHD7kuAqu4
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow.
    Not sure how FF has fans who also love PJ.... but since that is obviously the case, how do you FF fans feel about this clip??

Why does it have to be one or the other? Is there some sophomoric feud over the two bands, or are people not allowed to listen to bands that play different types of music? They are very similar from a marketing perspective, both did a week on a late night talk show, both promoted there new albums heavily on TV like ESPN, and both had specials on TV about the making of their newest albums. Both headline festivals, and care about getting tickets into the hands of fans.
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

RR, idk yet what shows I'm gonna hit. Mite just hit citi field cuz it's close. The Fourth of July show sounds like fun at rfk but I don't know if I can make it. U coming to citi? Let me know and maybe we can meet up if I end up going.
    Bb if I get tickets for citifield we can have an early b day celebration :-D
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,900
    jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Is there some sophomoric feud over the two bands, or are people not allowed to listen to bands that play different types of music? They are very similar from a marketing perspective, both did a week on a late night talk show, both promoted there new albums heavily on TV like ESPN, and both had specials on TV about the making of their newest albums. Both headline festivals, and care about getting tickets into the hands of fans.

It's pretty ridiculous to be honest with you.. It's Dave fkn Grohl, probably one of the most coolest/talented musicians out there who actually has a sense of humor and knows music. I don't like every FF song but I like a lot of them, and this new album after watching each episode of Sonic Highways just makes it better. "We" PJ fans take ourselves a little too serious sometimes when it comes to music. It's a beautiful listening curse…...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    edited November 2014
    jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

No need to get defensive. I don't think it has to be one or the other at all (i am a massive fan of all.kinds of different bands. FF just isn't one of them). I wasn't passing judgement on FF fans. I am happy when people like any kind of music even if i don't get why - I honestly don't give a shit. If others like music i don't like, good for them - it's better to like something than to not. Why I said I was surprised PJ fans would be into FF is because of what that very video suggests.... PJ is so not like that, and it's hard to defend Dave's attitude about music writing in that video.

So yes, I am criticizing FF - I think they suck. But i know other people are fans. Just wondering how they react to shit like this video shows!

And there really is no meaningful similarity between PJ and FF in my opinion. Marketing and both playing festivals, etc is neither here nor there. I'm thinking only of the quality of the music. As far as I can tell, FF/Dave aren't very interested in that as long as they crank out "hits". Fuck the deep cuts. And he has a formula for writing the hits... straight from Dave Grohl's mouth.
    I would have thought this would bug the FF fans is all, so I'm curious what fans think of this vid. If EV said something like this I'd be devastated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Attaway77 said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

It's pretty ridiculous to be honest with you.. It's Dave fkn Grohl, probably one of the most coolest/talented musicians out there who actually has a sense of humor and knows music. I don't like every FF song but I like a lot of them, and this new album after watching each episode of Sonic Highways just makes it better. "We" PJ fans take ourselves a little too serious sometimes when it comes to music. It's a beautiful listening curse…...
    I was going to comment but then I remembered that I'm not a FF fan so I don't have a dog in this hunt…

It's a great read though!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

No need to get defensive. I don't think it has to be one or the other at all (i am a massive fan of all.kinds of different bands. FF just isn't one of them). I wasn't passing judgement on FF fans. I am happy when people like any kind of music even if i don't get why - I honestly don't give a shit. If others like music i don't like, good for them - it's better to like something than to not. Why I said I was surprised PJ fans would be into FF is because of what that very video suggests.... PJ is so not like that, and it's hard to defend Dave's attitude about music writing in that video.

So yes, I am criticizing FF - I think they suck. But i know other people are fans. Just wondering how they react to shit like this video shows!

And there really is no meaningful similarity between PJ and FF in my opinion. Marketing and both playing festivals, etc is neither here nor there. I'm thinking only of the quality of the music. As far as I can tell, FF/Dave aren't very interested in that as long as they crank out "hits". Fuck the deep cuts. And he has a formula for writing the hits... straight from Dave Grohl's mouth.
    I would have thought this would bug the FF fans is all, so I'm curious what fans think of this vid. If EV said something like this I'd be devastated.
    You do know who played the foos for the very first time on the radio right? DJ Vedder did. Just saying.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

Bb if I get tickets for citifield we can have an early b day celebration :-D
    It's on like donkey kong! If we go, we party!

And RR, let me know if you're hitting up citifield.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,036
    PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

I think you may have missed the joke of this video.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    edited November 2014
    That video is dripping with sarcasm.
    Post edited by RP112579 on
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,284
    congrats to those who got tix. I didn't try, don't care for Susquehanan Bank Center or Camden at all :)) Now if they were to play at Citizens Bank Park I would have tried tix for that. I have heard rumors they might play a smaller venue in philly the day before or after that show though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

Not defensive, I have never bought a Foo Fighters album, nor have I heard anything but what is on the radio, for the most part. So I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I like some of their music. And just like with Pearl Jam, I don't like some of their music. I've heard that they put on a good show, and I liked the idea of selling to people in person before selling online, so I went and it was fun. Met some cool FF fans.

But you definitely said that you don't see how anyone can be a FF fan and also a PJ fan. No denying that, it's documented above. And I just don't like the attitude that people have to get all crazy about the politics and the commercialism; if you like the music, that's all that matters. I didn't even watch that video above because I don't care. And I don't even want to argue with you, that comment just struck a chord, and I had to say something last night.
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    PJArtistPJArtist New Orleans Posts: 542
    edited November 2014
    Photos and from Foo Fighters concert at House of Blues. Fantastic show!:)

New Orleans 00/Seattle 02/New Orleans, Houston, Dallas 03/
    Kissimmee 04/Montreal 05/Chicago 06/Gorge 06/Leeds 06/London 07/Lollapalooza 07/EV Chicago 08/EV Santa Barbara 08/Bonnaroo 08/EV @ McCartney NY 09/EV Atlanta 09/Spectrum 09 (4 shows)/Jazz Fest '10/Voices for Justice (EV) 10/Columbus 10/Noblesville 10/EV Sydney, Melbourne 11/EV Philadelphia, Detroit 11/Alpine weekend/Toronto 11 (2 shows)/Made in America 2012/Deluna Fest 2012/Missoula 2012/Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Dallas, OKC, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle 2013/Global Citizen/Florida 16/MSG 16/Wrigley 16
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,371
    tino_11 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

I think you may have missed the joke of this video.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

That video was hysterical...... Even if you didn't know that was Kyle Gas from Tenacious D, how could anyone think that was at all serious?
  • Options
    Isn't that the guy from Tenacious D (sitting there with Grohl)?

There's nothing too serious going to come from that duo.

* Man, The Pick of Destiny made me laugh. Still does just thinking about it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,665
    I don't think Foo Fighters are making anything other than good time music. Nothing that is going to change the world, but music that good rock and roll. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099

congrats to those who got tix. I didn't try, don't care for Susquehanan Bank Center or Camden at all :)) Now if they were to play at Citizens Bank Park I would have tried tix for that. I have heard rumors they might play a smaller venue in philly the day before or after that show though.

Electric Factory?!?! If you hear anything about that then let me know, that would be worth driving up on a weeknight
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I went down to Camden for the lottery. My ticket was 2477 and they picked 2540,. I was going to be behind 1,100 people so I left. I don't understand people bitching about the lottery when they announced from the get go that was the situation. They didn't hide it. It was foolish If you showed up before 8am to wait in line thinking it would help.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

You do know who played the foos for the very first time on the radio right? DJ Vedder did. Just saying.
    So? Eddie like a lot of music that I don't like. I.e. The Who.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jonsey30 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

Not defensive, I have never bought a Foo Fighters album, nor have I heard anything but what is on the radio, for the most part. So I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I like some of their music. And just like with Pearl Jam, I don't like some of their music. I've heard that they put on a good show, and I liked the idea of selling to people in person before selling online, so I went and it was fun. Met some cool FF fans.

But you definitely said that you don't see how anyone can be a FF fan and also a PJ fan. No denying that, it's documented above. And I just don't like the attitude that people have to get all crazy about the politics and the commercialism; if you like the music, that's all that matters. I didn't even watch that video above because I don't care. And I don't even want to argue with you, that comment just struck a chord, and I had to say something last night.
    I made no statement at all about marketing or commercialism and neither did the video really. You might want to actually watch it before commenting on it, no? I was talking only about the integrity of the music itself.
    And yes, I said I don't get how PJ fans can be FF fans. And? That's not an insult. I just don't get it. Literally. I don't understand. I don't understand how anyone could like Nickelback either, but I know they have millions of fans.

Anyway.... what he was saying was a joke, according so some of you?? I didn't get that. Maybe I don't understand his sense of humour, lol. :P It's just that the music FF cranks out really SOUNDS like it is being made with these principles. My #1 complaint about FF's music is that it sounds like canned rock. That is why I missed the joke, which I still don't really get... What's the joke exactly? Maybe the deep cuts comment? Their product reflects what that vid shows (IMO). That's why it was easy to think it was completely literal (and watching again, I think it pretty much still is).

• Options
    Dude, that video was CLEARLY a joke.......

Anyway, how can a Pearl Jam fan be a Foos fan? First thing's first, they are clearly quite different bands. One, way more pop leaning than the other, but so what?

I love the Foos to bits, my heart bursts with joy when I stand in a field/stadium with 60,000 strangers singing our lungs out to Best Of You or Everlong - it's hard to put into words what that really feels like, just as a non PJ fan probably wouldn't get what all the fuss was about belting out Alive at a PJ show. So maybe you just don't get Foo Fighters, and that's fine. But it's like you're trying to justify your not liking by tearing them down. I don't know how anyone could seriously doubt Dave Grohl's sincerity. One of the things I love the most about them is that you can tell they're doing it purely for the joy of making music. They play tiny club shows, massive stadium shows, play long setlists, make documentaries, they are forever helping out smaller bands - they are the absolute definition of a people's band. So sure, they might not be the most creative of bands, but they've written many big catchy songs, which personally I love, and they're doing it for all the right reasons.

Like I said, Pearl Jam are a different kind of band, and for me, that is mainly down to Ed's lyrics. There's no question that he is a much more creative lyricist than Dave Grohl, and his lyrics speak to me on a far deeper level, but a guess I don't feel the need to compare the bands - they represent different things to me. It would be like eating your favourite food every night or something.....