Options

***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Am I the only one that was waiting for the names of the band and probably a sentence under Dave last night?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I think it was in this thread that someone mentioned there was a little Queens of the Stone Age vibe in this album. I only really get that from White Limo. It's very Nick Oliveri-esque, and I love it.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,724
    I love the Foos and everything they're doing with this new album, but I'm a little disappointed in the middle songs. I think the album starts great (thru White Limo) and ends great (from Miss the MIsery). The 4 songs in the middle there I found, I don't know, a little bit off or something. Just 2 listens though.

Novaselic was sick on I S/'ve Known (I've got the song right, right?).

I don't think it's better than One by One. Obviously almost everyone here disagrees with me. That's cool. 8-)

Lol, even the band acknowledge One By One wasn't their strongest moment, I'm sure Dave said recently he thinks that it only has three good songs on it! But of course to each their own!

I can see your point to an extent on Back And Forth and A Matter Of Time, to me they're good, but not quite up there with some of the other songs. But Arlandria and These Days sound like vintage Foos to me, great classic melodies.

My understanding is that they recorded a dreadful album that took forever, went off to Coachella, and came back and rerecorded it in a week with new life. And it sounded great. Quintessential Foo Fighters. I'd call One by One their Yield.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

I don't know but if it's this performance, http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonlet ... ers/video/ , I wish I knew how to save it as a file, too. Loved it!
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    My understanding is that they recorded a dreadful album that took forever, went off to Coachella, and came back and rerecorded it in a week with new life. And it sounded great. Quintessential Foo Fighters. I'd call One by One their Yield.

I'm pretty sure they said they came back and cobbled something together after Coachella. They've definitely spoken recently about it not being their finest moment.

Quintessential Foos to me requires far more memorable melodies, and I wouldn't say it's even approaching the consistency of Yield. I like bits of it, but overall I think it's patchy. Not that this means anything, I know there are plenty of people out there who probably hold Riot Act up as the best PJ album, it's all personal taste.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

I'm pretty sure they said they came back and cobbled something together after Coachella. They've definitely spoken recently about it not being their finest moment.

they talk about all this in the doc

speaking of the doc, i heard on the radio this morning that it will be released june 22...dvd/blue ray
  • Options
    norm wrote:

speaking of the doc, i heard on the radio this morning that it will be released june 22...dvd/blue ray

I've seen and read so many interviews with the band over the past few weeks that I couldn't really remember, but now you come to mention it I do recall it being brought up in the documentary.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

I've seen and read so many interviews with the band over the past few weeks that I couldn't really remember, but now you come to mention it I do recall it being brought up in the documentary.

Who knows. I thought they said they rerecorded the whole thing in a week. Either way, I think it's a fucking great album. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Who knows. I thought they said they rerecorded the whole thing in a week. Either way, I think it's a fucking great album. 8-)

they recorded it...taylor got fed up and said after the commitments with the current album, he was done...they went to coachella, played a great set, made up and re-recorded the album in about a week
  • Options
    I broke down and listened to it Monday, but I bought it today. Right after I went and had a new cd player and speakers installed....what a fuckin bad ass way to break a new system in....I definitely tried it out on the hour ride home....great disc....time will tell....but this really seems like it belongs right alongside the colour and the shape to me...may even be a little more complete.

Can't wait for May 20th. Foo show #2
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options

Yeah I'm pretty sure they did rerecord it in a week, so all things considered it's not a bad effort ;) I just remember buying it on the day of release whilst on holiday in Florida and being a bit underwhelmed.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    edited April 2011
    Jeanwah wrote:

I don't know but if it's this performance, http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonlet ... ers/video/ , I wish I knew how to save it as a file, too. Loved it!

me too! i was loving it. dave and the boys kick ass.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options

Yeah I'm pretty sure they did rerecord it in a week, so all things considered it's not a bad effort ;) I just remember buying it on the day of release whilst on holiday in Florida and being a bit underwhelmed.

Nice. ;)

I think it was all the better that they effectively recorded it in a week.

My wife and I had just started dating when it came out and we listened to it together, so maybe that helps too. 8-) Just like drinking wine, context helps a lot.

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    man just loving this album. fantastic! Easily one of their best records. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,540
    Jeanwah wrote:

me too! i was loving it. dave and the boys kick ass.
    I must watch this 109-minute video someday.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I had the same experience with Wasting Light as I did with TCATS. When I first bought TCATS way back in 97, I remember me and my cousin played Super Nintento and listened to the album over and over again. At least 10 times, and we were both blown away with the album.

This time me and the girlfriend put Wasting Light on and yet again I found myself listening to the album numerous times in a row.... and yet again I am blown away with what a great record this is. Amazing. I find myself connecting with some of the songs already, on a lyrical level.

Great album from a great rock band. Thank God they are still around. They have put out some great records overe the past 15 years, and I love them all but this rules
    ctd
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    SO GOOD.....so good :D
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I had no idea they have never had a #1 Billboard album :shock: assumed they had about 4.

well congrats this week!

still haven't picked this up yet
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    watching live on letterman now...fantastic of course.
    Dave cracked me up with his c note and then the g when chris' guitar was out of tune :lol:

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    watching live on letterman now...fantastic of course.
    Dave cracked me up with his c note and then the g when chris' guitar was out of tune :lol:
    :lol: I couldn't stop laughing at that. I also like the part where he said something like, "Dude, we're a garage band asshole."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    I had no idea they have never had a #1 Billboard album :shock: assumed they had about 4.

well congrats this week!

still haven't picked this up yet
    I was just about to ask about this. Is there a link or something with early estimates?
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks like Foo Fighters will be headlining Lollapalooza this year, which means US tour dates should be happening soon!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Looks like Foo Fighters will be headlining Lollapalooza this year, which means US tour dates should be happening soon!

Can't wait for my 4th Foo show! :D

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Can't wait for my 4th Foo show! :D
    Nice! Waiting for my first. :D
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I thought there were quite a few in May already? No?
    I was just so glad to see Memphis on the list I didn't pay much attention to the rest :lol:
    CAN'T WAIT

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I was just so glad to see Memphis on the list I didn't pay much attention to the rest :lol:
    CAN'T WAIT
    There are some US dates for May before they head out to Europe. Looks like they have a month off in between Europe dates. A US tour might happen.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Newch91 wrote:
    CAN'T WAIT

I think there will be more US dates in Sept and October. They are booked in Europe late May- July
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Newch91 wrote:
    They probably won't be able to announce any dates until Lolla is announced/sold out and there can't be any dates too close by too soon...