THE WIRE

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    rrivers wrote:
    That's what I did last year and parts I wasn't expecting to like as much I found myself liking a lot more than I remembered. I think it helps to see it in a semi-continuous stream rather than waiting every week to watch it or years in between seasons. There were periods, especially near the end, that I didn't remember enjoying so much that I really enjoyed this time. When I was watching it when it was on, I had such high expectations especially as it was getting to the end that were impossible for the show to live up to.

Yeah, the crazy expectations towards the end for shows like that generally leave you feeling a little disappointed. The one show that I do have high expectations for every week and never fails to deliver is Breaking Bad....can't wait to see the final season coming up here.

Over Christmas I watched all of Breaking Bad and loved it! I can't wait for this season! Is this the last one?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    rrivers wrote:
    Over Christmas I watched all of Breaking Bad and loved it! I can't wait for this season! Is this the last one?

Yeah, this past season of Breaking Bad might be my favorite TV season of all time. Yeah, season 5 will be the last one. It's 16 episodes....rumor is that they may break it up into 2 parts.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    The late, great Ol' Dirty Bastard is getting immortalized on the silver screen. Entertainment Weekly reports that the Joaquín Baca-Asay-directed film will be called Dirty White Boy, and will star Michael K. Williams of Omar from "The Wire" and Chalky White from "Boardwalk Empire" fame.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    4 episodes deep into season 3. shaping up to be another great one.

i have noticed all the seasons have started a bit slow. takes a little while for me to get drawn back in...
    www.myspace.com
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    Love this show...busy at work but wanna be part of the discussion...

so i'll chime back this weekend...

havent read any comments yet but hbo ondemand started on episode 1 in december+-...

since i've never seen the series and heard it very very very good..

i wanted to buy them but since HBO is gonna play em all in order...

i'll just watch em on Demand.....

they are frickin killin me though...
    they only post 4 episodes about every 3-4 weeks...1 of fuckin week...

give me a fuckin break...

i watch the 4 in one weekend,...then have to wait a fucking month for the 4 new ones...

at this fuckin rate...its gonna take me a fuckin year plus to watch em...FUUUUUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!

oh...this sucks........
    ps..parden my spanish/french/swaring/etc/etc//

kick ass show...btw
    curly wrote:

havent read any comments yet but hbo ondemand started on episode 1 in december+-...

i watch the 4 in one weekend,...then have to wait a fucking month for the 4 new ones...

at this fuckin rate...its gonna take me a fuckin year plus to watch em...FUUUUUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!

oh...this sucks........

kick ass show...btw

That's how I watched it last year and it took about 6 months. I'm doing the same thing right now. I think next week they are putting up the next batch!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Heisenberg wrote:
    The late, great Ol' Dirty Bastard is getting immortalized on the silver screen. Entertainment Weekly reports that the Joaquín Baca-Asay-directed film will be called Dirty White Boy, and will star Michael K. Williams of Omar from "The Wire" and Chalky White from "Boardwalk Empire" fame.
    its funny no matter who he plays or what film or tv show he is in. Michael K Williams will always be OMAR when i see him.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    its funny no matter who he plays or what film or tv show he is in. Michael K Williams will always be OMAR when i see him.

Indeed
    I just realized that Officer Prezbo is Bailey from "Singles"
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I just realized that Officer Prezbo is Bailey from "Singles"

Ha! Good eye!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited March 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Omar vs. Avon and Stinger vs. McNulty

I don't know the results yet as I'm reading thru this.

I would have gone stringer/omar. then omar. every scene that dude was in drew me in. he was awesome

mcnulty was probably my favorite but I have to deduct points for being whipped. no excuse for being a pussy and not drinking. I would have taken bunk over him.

shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

for my money, best show of all time. one of these days I gotta watch it all again
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    curly wrote:

oh...this sucks........

kick ass show...btw

dude, this is what prompted me to sign up for netflix

now I pay 20 bucks a month and I have been stuck on lost season 6 for over a year. that show is fucking horrible. an instant sleeping pill. Been watching that crap for so long I feel like I have to see the end. show was so bad I hope they all die at the end

someone remind me to cancel my netflix. what a waste. thank god for sports. can't wait for the hockey playoffs and baseball so I have something to watch again
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'm through episode 5, season 1 and I'm very suprised to have learned that Omar is....................
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Omar vs. Avon and Stinger vs. McNulty

I don't know the results yet as I'm reading thru this.

I would have gone stringer/omar. then omar. every scene that dude was in drew me in. he was awesome

mcnulty was probably my favorite but I have to deduct points for being whipped. no excuse for being a pussy and not drinking. I would have taken bunk over him.

shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

for my money, best show of all time. one of these days I gotta watch it all again

Yeah, we watched season 1 again a few months ago. Want to start season 2 up but can't find the DVD's.

Yeah, Omar was the shit. Such a great character. I think they did well with the final results. McNulty was awesome. Everyone was awesome. What a great fucking show.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'm through episode 5, season 1 and I'm very suprised to have learned that Omar is....................

i know right?

i got up to episode 11 of season 3 last night.................. :o:o:o:o i won't ruin it for you.

its' amazing how well done this show is.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    curly wrote:

oh...this sucks........

kick ass show...btw

dude, this is what prompted me to sign up for netflix

now I pay 20 bucks a month and I have been stuck on lost season 6 for over a year. that show is fucking horrible. an instant sleeping pill. Been watching that crap for so long I feel like I have to see the end. show was so bad I hope they all die at the end

someone remind me to cancel my netflix. what a waste. thank god for sports. can't wait for the hockey playoffs and baseball so I have something to watch again

You are right about Lost. Piece of shit show! I'm watching "Sons of Anarchy" right now on netflix and am really enjoying it. I'm almost finished season 2.
    when i'm done this, i think breaking bad is the next one i will get into. have heard only good things about it.

people rave about mad men too.

spoiler alert........

seeing rawls' smurking face at that gay bar was fucking hysterical. :lol: i had to rewind it to make sure it was him. haha
    www.myspace.com
    just finished season 3. phenomenal. just phenomenal.

the culver/stringer parallel was brilliantly done.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895

Season 3 is my favorite of the series, but I know a lot of people who think season 4 was the best.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    when i'm done this, i think breaking bad is the next one i will get into. have heard only good things about it.

Absolutely try Breaking Bad next, you wont' be disappointed! I tried to give Mad Men a try but I couldn't get into it.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    dougfloyd wrote:

Absolutely try Breaking Bad next, you wont' be disappointed! I tried to give Mad Men a try but I couldn't get into it.

For sure watch Breaking Bad! That show has reached the point where it may be above The Wire for me.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

Season 3 is my favorite of the series, but I know a lot of people who think season 4 was the best.
    I am the same way! Season 3 was my fav mind you followed closely by season 4.

It does seem most prefer 4 to 3 but they are all good.

Also Breaking bad is awesome maybe my second favorite show behind the wire
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    dougfloyd wrote:

I'm a couple seasons behind, but I think mad men is phenomenal. I will have to check out breaking bad.
    intodeep wrote:

I am the same way! Season 3 was my fav mind you followed closely by season 4.

It does seem most prefer 4 to 3 but they are all good.

Also Breaking bad is awesome maybe my second favorite show behind the wire

supposed to be a rainy weekend here so i will probably delve into season 4 soon. interested to see how they make it work without string and avon being locked up.
    www.myspace.com
    Clay Davis as Doc from Punchout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1uxowhEn2E
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I finished season 1 this weekend. Wow. It's tough to stop watching episodes once you get into them. I was up until 2:30am Friday night watching them. I missed Omar not being in the last 3 episodes until the final scene. My favorite quote is "Omar don't scare" when Omar was asked about Avon's crew coming after him.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I finished season 1 this weekend. Wow. It's tough to stop watching episodes once you get into them. I was up until 2:30am Friday night watching them. I missed Omar not being in the last 3 episodes until the final scene. My favorite quote is "Omar don't scare" when Omar was asked about Avon's crew coming after him.

Welcome to the sickness. Its is hard to stop once your into the season. I had to stop after 2 or 3 episodes at a time so I did not burn through them.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    almost halfway through season 4. not my favorite so far. mcnulty is barely in it. :?
    www.myspace.com
    finished my wire odyssey earlier this week. don't have time to thoroughly discuss it now, but i fucking loved every second of all 5 seasons. yes, i can understand why people call it the best show ever. there are so many different levels. so many layers that make this show excellent. all the pieces fit. so realistic. never skipped a beat after killing off main characters and introducing new ones. so consistent. season 5 was my least favorite but that was still very good.

i'm sad it's over though. damn it.
    www.myspace.com
    I'm in the middle of season 2 on demand. I watched the last four last weekend because they were about to take them off. I wasn't really in the mood to watch them, but they totally sucked me in again. I'm glad there are four new episodes to watch now.