THE WIRE

Comments

• definitely the best COP show ever... dunno about best ever in general

love the characters and the plot tho... especially season 4 with the kids... added a nice dimension to your cliche crime story

i hope omar has a bigger role in the next season of boardwalk
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    whats funny is its kinda true ,,,, but i really dig it,, the whole series rocked,, season 2 is my fav enjoy watching it :mrgreen:

It's funny because when I first watched it I got really frustrated with season 2 and didnt really like it and that's why I kind of stopped watching for a while. Not that I have watched it again, season 2 is great and I kind of miss those guys.
    yah season 2 would definitely be the wrong place to start

i didn't care too much for "the greek" plot line as much as stringer and co.

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Article about the Police Commisioner of Baltimore saying it will take decades to overcome what "The Wire" did to Baltimore and David Simon's response.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/cr ... lds_c.html
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in the first season. Really well done. Thank goodness for Netflix!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I saw The Wire for the first time last fall through Netflix. It's definitely one hell of a show! I think it just might be the best TV series I have ever seen. Best crime drama for sure. I just went through the series and already feel like rewatching it. Check out the links below for some of the best quotes from The Wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgj78QG9Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFh2f7rN ... re=related

It's all all in the game, yo....
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • rrivers wrote:
    Article about the Police Commisioner of Baltimore saying it will take decades to overcome what "The Wire" did to Baltimore and David Simon's response.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/cr ... lds_c.html
    sounds like he really knows his shit... as i would expect

suck it BPD!

i thought the show did a good job humanizing the problems without taking sides... obiously theres good guys and bad guys on both

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    Just finished season 4. Great fucking stuff. Know everything that happens but still looking forward to the final season, "oh indeed" (possibly the best character in tv history)

Bodie was one of my favorites, never a big time player, caught up in the game, doing his thing and always loyal. Sad to see him go.

Edit: The show was strictly entertaining until they brought the kids into it in season 4. That shit was pretty fucking depressing, especially knowing that shit happens every day.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in the first season. Really well done. Thank goodness for Netflix!

nice...wish i could be in your shoes again...only gets better from here
    aqo2t.jpg
    Snoop was arrested in Baltimore yesterday in a big drug bust.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 2225.story
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw that yesterday. I know she was a drug dealer before she was on the show and spent time in prison. Guess once you are in the game it is hard to get out.

I wonder if lester got the wire up on her :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    anyone else watching "breakout kings" on A&E?

its no "the wire" but its pretty good so far

and herc's in it

• release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Snoop was arrested in Baltimore yesterday in a big drug bust.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 2225.story

lol that tripped me out on one of the isp's i do tech suport for tht was on there main page i was like lol
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I was watching "Courage Under Fire" over the weekend and noticed Carver was in it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Best tv show i have ever seen, without a doubt. Just for this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,778
    I miss igotid88
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,666
    Having lived in Baltimore City for a few years (some time ago) I saw and experienced a lot of what went on in the city and have to say that everything that David Simon writes (Homicide, The Corner, The Wire) is dead on.

And yes the single best tv show ever
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    just finished season 1. it does start off pretty slow like some people mentioned. but after about 5 or 6 episodes, i was hooked. watched the last 7 or so this past weekend. can't wait to get my hands on season 2...

also--i agree with whoever posted the chess scene. that was so awesome. best scene of the season.
    www.myspace.com
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    just finished season 1. it does start off pretty slow like some people mentioned. but after about 5 or 6 episodes, i was hooked. watched the last 7 or so this past weekend. can't wait to get my hands on season 2...

also--i agree with whoever posted the chess scene. that was so awesome. best scene of the season.

Enjoy man!! It gets a lot better from here! Seasons 3 and 4 were the pinnacle for me. Great, Great show!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • its no doubt one of the best tv shows of all time. As a sociology major this show is heaven from my point of view. Its the most indepth discussion of race, poverty, inner city life, crime and drugs as well as the justice system ive ever seen.

The acting was incredible the writing incredible. Directing was great.

I loved how each season focused on a new topic. The stevedors. the media. The school system. I like how and its the stated goal of david Simon the creator, that he wanted to bring about social change, and i think he effectively completely dismantled every single major instituition in america. the media, the school system, politics. He didnt want us to just enjoy the show, he wanted us to dismantle these insitutions and know they are absolutely and completely corrupt.

This is Obamas favorite show. Its inexcusable that a fan of the show would be so centrist in policy and would secondly be in favor of the drug war. Really? After seeing this show, you really are gonna be for the drug war?
    TV is mostly ruined after the Wire.
    Shows can be good but they are never as good as the wire.
    The only thing to do is go back and watch the wire again.

Damn David Simon for giving us a taste of this drug and getting us hooked.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I need to watch this. I'll wait for a price drop and grab the series.

Christ, I was looking on Amazon for the series and there are 3 different DVD versions dated 2008, 2010 & 2011. If anyone has these, can you shed some light on the version you have?
    Thanks.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

Good shit. You'll love it.

"see, the king stay the king"
  • JK_Livin wrote:

Christ, I was looking on Amazon for the series and there are 3 different DVD versions dated 2008, 2010 & 2011. If anyone has these, can you shed some light on the version you have?
    Thanks.

I don't think there is any difference between the actual shows, just the extras that are on the DVD's, or packaging.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    JK_Livin wrote:

Thanks.

I don't think there is any difference between the actual shows, just the extras that are on the DVD's, or packaging.

Packaging looks the same to me. I have no clue which one I have. Not 2011 since I got it before then. The latest probably has the best picture but not sure how much of a difference it will make.
    This is Obamas favorite show. Its inexcusable that a fan of the show would be so centrist in policy and would secondly be in favor of the drug war. Really? After seeing this show, you really are gonna be for the drug war?

Obama is a failure because he didn't draft his policies after a TV show? :lol::lol: Say what you will about the guy, but I sure as fuck hope he isn't relying on TV shows to understand the issues plaguing urban America. What's going to happen when he watches 24? That'd be some shit.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Obama is a failure because he didn't draft his policies after a TV show? :lol::lol: Say what you will about the guy, but I sure as fuck hope he isn't relying on TV shows to understand the issues plaguing urban America. What's going to happen when he watches 24? That'd be some shit.

If he got into 24, we'd be bringing back torture in no time!
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,383
    George Pelecanos (writer, producer) of The Wire did a IAMA Q&A session over at Reddit a couple of weeks ago in which he gave some great insight to the show. If you're looking for something else to read on the show, there are some good little nuggets here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/p ... me_george/

Warning: Contains spoilers for those who have not seen the whole series.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I loved Homicide when it was on and I heard The Wire kills it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That is funny.
    There was a joke going around for a while about how every suburbanite thinks they understand inner city issues because they watched the wire :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22