THE WIRE

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is Obamas favorite show. Its inexcusable that a fan of the show would be so centrist in policy and would secondly be in favor of the drug war. Really? After seeing this show, you really are gonna be for the drug war?

Obama is a failure because he didn't draft his policies after a TV show? :lol::lol: Say what you will about the guy, but I sure as fuck hope he isn't relying on TV shows to understand the issues plaguing urban America. What's going to happen when he watches 24? That'd be some shit.
    That is funny.
    There was a joke going around for a while about how every suburbanite thinks they understand inner city issues because they watched the wire :D

Definitely true.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/09/85-the-wire/
    Travelar wrote:
    George Pelecanos (writer, producer) of The Wire did a IAMA Q&A session over at Reddit a couple of weeks ago in which he gave some great insight to the show. If you're looking for something else to read on the show, there are some good little nuggets here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/p ... me_george/

Warning: Contains spoilers for those who have not seen the whole series.

Tough to follow but some good stuff in there. Definitely don't read if you haven't finished it.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    nice call that is exactly what i was refering to!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • the stated goal of the creator was to enact social change. the wire wasnt merely a show for the audience to enjoy. the cast and crew and everyone involved said as much. the goal of the show wasnt that youd just enjoy what you were watching and watch every week, the goal was to get you thinking,and then do something to change the situation.

The Wire is realistic because of everything i just stated. David Simon created a realistic portrait of inner city life and of politics, the media, the stevedors, the school system as well.

To watch the show and be proud of, and continue to believe, the school system, the media, the drug war are working, I think is absolutely insane.

The stated goal of the entire show was to get the viewer involved and thinking. This is a thinking man, or thinking womans show. David Simon clearly showed the curruption in 5 different avenues of society. He didnt do this so we would go back to our lives and continue to support laws that continue and extend the drug war. He wanted us to question what was going on.

A large part of why this show is one of the greatest of all time, is the scope of the show. Every single season was realistic in its portrayal of that specific aspect of beaurocracy it focused on. The media season was truthful. The school system season was truthful.
    the stated goal of the creator was to enact social change. the wire wasnt merely a show for the audience to enjoy. the cast and crew and everyone involved said as much. the goal of the show wasnt that youd just enjoy what you were watching and watch every week, the goal was to get you thinking,and then do something to change the situation.

The Wire is realistic because of everything i just stated. David Simon created a realistic portrait of inner city life and of politics, the media, the stevedors, the school system as well.

To watch the show and be proud of, and continue to believe, the school system, the media, the drug war are working, I think is absolutely insane.

The stated goal of the entire show was to get the viewer involved and thinking. This is a thinking man, or thinking womans show. David Simon clearly showed the curruption in 5 different avenues of society. He didnt do this so we would go back to our lives and continue to support laws that continue and extend the drug war. He wanted us to question what was going on.

A large part of why this show is one of the greatest of all time, is the scope of the show. Every single season was realistic in its portrayal of that specific aspect of beaurocracy it focused on. The media season was truthful. The school system season was truthful.

I get that. But I am pretty fucking sure the President of our country knew what the deal is in urban America prior to watching this show. I don't think he needs a damn TV show to inspire him to try and make this country a better place.
  • intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is Obamas favorite show. Its inexcusable that a fan of the show would be so centrist in policy and would secondly be in favor of the drug war. Really? After seeing this show, you really are gonna be for the drug war?

Obama is a failure because he didn't draft his policies after a TV show? :lol::lol: Say what you will about the guy, but I sure as fuck hope he isn't relying on TV shows to understand the issues plaguing urban America. What's going to happen when he watches 24? That'd be some shit.
    That is funny.
    There was a joke going around for a while about how every suburbanite thinks they understand inner city issues because they watched the wire :D

im not an expert on inner city crime, but i do have a degree in sociology and have a history of activism. If people, suburbanites do feel they understand some of the issues of inner city life, or the media, or the stevedors, after watching the wire, david simon then reached and achieved his goal.

This show is educational.

Why is it considered the best tv show ever? there are many reasons for this. The portrayal of inner city life is considered to be the most realisitic ever on a tv show. And how they sort of delve so deeply into each aspect of society. The portrayal of the drug dealers as sympathetic characters and the police as flawed is also i think true and its something few tv shows depict.

In a perfect world everyone who saw the wire would join activism organizations, and be protesting, read up on issues related to the series, and become involved and educated. Unfortunately I know thats not going to be every viewer. But i do think its important to understand the wire was special for all those reasons above and because of the belief of cast and crew that they had something to share with the audience, and that this information was important and powerful.

David Simons belief that we would watch the show, enjoy it, get into the story, but then also do something about the issues talked about, is something fundamental to the story and the way its told.

If you accept that each season depicted that aspect of society in a realistic manner, the overall idea, that inner city and drug laws are archaic, racist and not working, the show laid out a pretty convincing and exhasutive and comprehensive case for all this. Its not like the drug war was focused on for one episode. It was basically the overall point of the show. To continue believing that the drug war is effective, fair, justifiable, and efficient, i think is inexcusable and shows a complete lack of understanding of the goals of the show, and of how drug laws effect those people depicted in the show
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    nice call that is exactly what i was refering to!

That whole list is great and spot on.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    the stated goal of the creator was to enact social change. the wire wasnt merely a show for the audience to enjoy. the cast and crew and everyone involved said as much. the goal of the show wasnt that youd just enjoy what you were watching and watch every week, the goal was to get you thinking,and then do something to change the situation.

I get that. But I am pretty fucking sure the President of our country knew what the deal is in urban America prior to watching this show. I don't think he needs a damn TV show to inspire him to try and make this country a better place.

i think he does need the show. Obama has done squat in terms of racial issues in his administration. Wasnt it Bill Maher who said, I voted for a black president, what i got was a white president. Obama beyond that one speech he gave, racial politics and racial issues arent a part of his reportoire. I have viewed this as a major failure of his administration. And i know im not the only person who feels this way.

You are suggesting he knew that the drug war, obama knew the drug war was and is racist, and is a total failure. If he knew that, his policies dont reflect that awareness. Obama has always been pro drug war. He's against legalization and is for hard sentences, and is tough on crime. He as a mixed raced individual could have made the fact that black men are in prison at a way disproportiante rate in this country a national conversation. He could have discussed the fact most black men in prison are there for non violent drug possession a national conversation.

If obama is aware of all this, he sure has not acted on this knowledge. The drug war is a failure. The wire shows this. The media is currupt the wire shows this. The school system needs to be looked at and changed in fundamental ways. The wire shows this. The political scene is currupt, the wire shows this.

if obama knows all this, what has he done to address any of this.

Obama is a priveldged millionaire. His kids will get to attend any college they want, for free. When was the last time, he interacted with someone like the inner city characters of the show?

Obamas polciies and why i will not vote for him for president in 2012, support racist and currupt drug laws that are not effective.
  • the whole point of the show, was to suggest no one, No politician, no one, was dealing with the issues presented in a manner that was helpful. Politicians and everyone else werent dealing with the educational system. no one was and is dealing with inner city crime and wayward and racist cops.

The show wouldnt have been needed, or wouldnt be needed now, if the issues in the show were being dealt with in a sane and wise manner. the fact is, they arent.

thats the whole point of all this. no one has dealt with these issues in the manner they need to be dealt with.

if obama was out there, or if any politician was out there dealing with these issues, addressing them, and speaking truth to power like the show did, all would be hunky dory.

i think thats whats needed. politicians, citizens, everyone, getting involved and not supporting politicians who are pro drug war. getting people out of office who continue to believe being tough on crime which amounts to racist justice system is a worthy cause.

we need to address these issues. as a society. even if obama doesnt. even if the next president doesnt.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    it's a tv show people.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think he does need the show. Obama has done squat in terms of racial issues in his administration. Wasnt it Bill Maher who said, I voted for a black president, what i got was a white president. Obama beyond that one speech he gave, racial politics and racial issues arent a part of his reportoire. I have viewed this as a major failure of his administration. And i know im not the only person who feels this way.

You are suggesting he knew that the drug war, obama knew the drug war was and is racist, and is a total failure. If he knew that, his policies dont reflect that awareness. Obama has always been pro drug war. He's against legalization and is for hard sentences, and is tough on crime. He as a mixed raced individual could have made the fact that black men are in prison at a way disproportiante rate in this country a national conversation. He could have discussed the fact most black men in prison are there for non violent drug possession a national conversation.

If obama is aware of all this, he sure has not acted on this knowledge. The drug war is a failure. The wire shows this. The media is currupt the wire shows this. The school system needs to be looked at and changed in fundamental ways. The wire shows this. The political scene is currupt, the wire shows this.

if obama knows all this, what has he done to address any of this.

Obama is a priveldged millionaire. His kids will get to attend any college they want, for free. When was the last time, he interacted with someone like the inner city characters of the show?

Obamas polciies and why i will not vote for him for president in 2012, support racist and currupt drug laws that are not effective.

Dude, you're pretty funny. You have good intentions but its mildly amusing and completely unrealistic. You realize have a completely unrealistic agenda and are mad at the President over a TV show?
  • it's a tv show people.

yes you are correct in that i realize that mcnulty and barksdale are actors and that this isnt a real time documentary.

but if you havent already, id encourage you to read up on david simon and the creators and what the whole point of the show was.

this show, was most definitely NOT JUST A TV SHOW. nor was the ultimate goal to gain viewers and gain money and fame.

i think respectfully, youve missed the entire point of the show.

the passionate response about the show, and the intricacies of it all, how in depth each season got, is ultimately a mirror of the goals of the entire show and production.

the response the creators were looking for wasnt to say "oh thats too bad, the educational system seems messed up" and then you go on with your day and forget about it. And im not perfect in this manner either, im not out storming the barricades as a result, but youve missed the bigger picture if you think this is a tv show and thats it.
    Dude, everyone gets that it's as real of a depiction of inner city America as it gets, but fuck, let people sit back and enjoy it. Shit needs to change, no doubt, but it's a fucking TV show. If the show inspires people like you to do things, then great, but jesus, you're beating a dead horse.
  • i appreciate you saying i have good intentions. thank you.

im mad at obama because he hasnt addressed these issues. how is wanting to end the racist and currupt way the justice system is run, how is that unrealistic? how is wanting to deal with the issues presented in the show unrealistic? you said you knew that was the point of the show, you agreed with me, that the point of the show was to enact and cause viewers to get involved and ACTUALLY WORK TO CHANGE the system. you agreed with me .

im sort of wondering why you think these goals are unrealistic. i think dealing with the fact we have a disproportioante amount of black men in prison for non violent drug possession is a good thing to look at deeper. I think looking at the drug war and how its racist, classist, and flat out isnt working, i think thats good.

Obama has the power to do something about this as president. I have a right, and others have a right to fight for these issues. and when people in charge refuse to deal with these issues i think we have a right to demand they look at the issues, and then decide to vote based on all that.

The issues presented in the wire are close to my heart and important. These people, the roles and characters portrayed, deserve to have their voices heard, as they are people, or represent people who are unfortunately silent, because they are poor, of color, and marginalized.

to me these are large enough issues i think any president needs to discuss and act on them. i dont think i need to justify my anger about obama not dealing with this stuff. i hardly think im the only person upset about obamas lack of leadership on this stuff.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Dude, everyone gets that it's as real of a depiction of inner city America as it gets, but fuck, let people sit back and enjoy it. Shit needs to change, no doubt, but it's a fucking TV show. If the show inspires people like you to do things, then great, but jesus, you're beating a dead horse.

but isnt the debate all part of the point. These are controversial issues, issues that are woven into the fabric of american life. somehow i think david simon would feel its good to be discussing all this.

the shows been off the air for years. yes i understand some people are just now seeing the show, but when is the time to demand people do something? when is the time to discuss this? when is the time to say, "hey our president isnt discussing these issues"?

i'd be disappointed if this thread was only about the cast, crew, writing, directing. those things deserve praise. but, i think the larger issues are the whole meaning of all this.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

but isnt the debate all part of the point. These are controversial issues, issues that are woven into the fabric of american life. somehow i think david simon would feel its good to be discussing all this.

the shows been off the air for years. yes i understand some people are just now seeing the show, but when is the time to demand people do something? when is the time to discuss this? when is the time to say, "hey our president isnt discussing these issues"?

i'd be disappointed if this thread was only about the cast, crew, writing, directing. those things deserve praise. but, i think the larger issues are the whole meaning of all this.

also how is what im saying beating a dead horse? if the whole point is to engage in discussion about the issue, which is the stated aim of both this message board and of the wire, then i fail to see how discussing all this bad.

plus i have no idea where you all stand on these issues. but when i posted obama hasnt done enough to address these issues, i got alot of pushback. I think thats indicative of why discussing the show and its larger meaning is needed.

why shouldnt obama deal with these issues? What excuse is there that he shouldnt? What can he do? what can we all do?
  • it's a tv show people.

Yes. This thread isn't fun anymore.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Is this streaming on Netflix?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

Nah, nothing from HBO streams on Netflix, unfortunately.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Nah, nothing from HBO streams on Netflix, unfortunately.
    That sucks. Thanks.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    HBO Go is about to become my friend. They have the show streaming on there. :D
    edited February 2012
    it's a tv show people.

yes you are correct in that i realize that mcnulty and barksdale are actors and that this isnt a real time documentary.

but if you havent already, id encourage you to read up on david simon and the creators and what the whole point of the show was.

this show, was most definitely NOT JUST A TV SHOW. nor was the ultimate goal to gain viewers and gain money and fame.

i think respectfully, youve missed the entire point of the show.

the passionate response about the show, and the intricacies of it all, how in depth each season got, is ultimately a mirror of the goals of the entire show and production.

the response the creators were looking for wasnt to say "oh thats too bad, the educational system seems messed up" and then you go on with your day and forget about it. And im not perfect in this manner either, im not out storming the barricades as a result, but youve missed the bigger picture if you think this is a tv show and thats it.

is it difficult to get on and off your high horse? do you use a step ladder? :think:

i missed the whole point of the show. and you've garnered that from the 4 or 5 sentences i've typed in here about it? c'mon buddy. someone posted an article about david simon and his back and forth with the bpd police commisioner. i read it. i get it.....but it's a.fucking.tv.show.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

i can't bring myself to watch shows on my phone or ipad. unless i'm in a plane i can't enjoy it if it's not on my tv.

the first season was just 19.99 at best buy if you wanna just buy it.
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

i can't bring myself to watch shows on my phone or ipad. unless i'm in a plane i can't enjoy it if it's not on my tv.

I could buy the series, but I'm already paying for HBO at home, so I might as well watch it on my laptop at home.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I could buy the series, but I'm already paying for HBO at home, so I might as well watch it on my laptop at home.

it's also ondemand. but they only have the last 5 or 6 episodes of season 1. i think season 2 will be up soon.
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

it's also ondemand. but they only have the last 5 or 6 episodes of season 1. i think season 2 will be up soon.
    I wish I knew that. It's only 12, 13 episodes of season 1. I don't mind watching it on my laptop.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    All seasons on sale at Target this week for $17ea. That's a pretty good deal. I also just realized that I can get HBOgo on my kids Xbox.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    All seasons on sale at Target this week for $17ea. That's a pretty good deal. I also just realized that I can get HBOgo on my kids Xbox.

are you f-cking kidding? i just paid $180 for the entire series at best buy. :x :lol: i got ripped off.

meanwhile, i'm 4 episodes deep into season 2. the detail has just been set up. really liking it so far.....except for ziggy. that dude sucks and seems too much of a stereotype for my liking. i'm basically waiting to see how he gets killed at this point.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Snooze and I lose. My Target was sold out yesterday. These must've have been the Super Deluxe Editions!
    I got rainchecks, that's fun.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer