THE WIRE

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Snooze and I lose. My Target was sold out yesterday. These must've have been the Super Deluxe Editions!
    I got rainchecks, that's fun.

I was able to find seasons 2-5 over the weekend. Now I just need my kids to get to college so I can watch them. :D
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Heisenberg wrote:

The East Baltimore region is loaded. Brother Mouzone will take out Bunk. Omar has to be the overall #1 seed.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I think at first glance my Final 4 are Omar, Avon, McNulty, and Lester in the upset over Stringer
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I think at first glance my Final 4 are Omar, Avon, McNulty, and Lester in the upset over Stringer

I like Omar, Avon, McNulty, but I had Marlow taking out Lester in the last bracket.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    nice call that is exactly what i was refering to!

That's funny. I heard Chuck Klosterman say once that when he saw the last season of "The Wire" it made him doubt how accurate the rest of the show was. He said his experiences working for a newspaper were not like it was depicted in the show so he wonders how accurate the rest of the show was. None of this matters to me, I just enjoy the heck out of the show. I just finished the first four episodes of season 2 on demand and am waiting for them to put more.

I will say, for me, it is not definitively the greatest drama ever on television. It's up there though.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Snooze and I lose. My Target was sold out yesterday. These must've have been the Super Deluxe Editions!

I was able to find seasons 2-5 over the weekend. Now I just need my kids to get to college so I can watch them. :D

watching the season 2 finale when i get home tonight...can't wait :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I wish On Demand would put more shows out at a time. They just put 4 episodes of the second season out this time. Some day I will buy the DVDs and watch them whenever I want, but I don't mind the waiting. Nice to have it to look forward to. The only problem when it comes on demand I watch it so fast!
    rrivers wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I wish On Demand would put more shows out at a time. They just put 4 episodes of the second season out this time. Some day I will buy the DVDs and watch them whenever I want, but I don't mind the waiting. Nice to have it to look forward to. The only problem when it comes on demand I watch it so fast!

yeah i bought the whole series a couple weeks ago.

as great as this show is, i can't help but imagining the empty feeling that will inevitably come when i'm finished and there are no new episodes to look forward to. haha
    www.myspace.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    how you gonna have Clay Davis vs Bubs in round one.
    SHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT
    that ain't even right
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    JK_Livin wrote:

I wish On Demand would put more shows out at a time. They just put 4 episodes of the second season out this time. Some day I will buy the DVDs and watch them whenever I want, but I don't mind the waiting. Nice to have it to look forward to. The only problem when it comes on demand I watch it so fast![/quote]

yeah i bought the whole series a couple weeks ago.

as great as this show is, i can't help but imagining the empty feeling that will inevitably come when i'm finished and there are no new episodes to look forward to. haha[/quote]

Yeah I felt that, but it's so good and involved that you will watch it over and over. I'm working my way through it for the second time now.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    Down to the final 8.

Omar vs. Michael

Bunk vs. McNulty

Prop Joe vs. Avon

Stringer vs. Bodie

Some tough shit right there. I hope Bodie beats Stringer.
    i will be starting season 3 either tonight or at some point this weekend...
    www.myspace.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Down to the final 8.

Omar vs. Michael

Bunk vs. McNulty

Prop Joe vs. Avon

Stringer vs. Bodie

Omar, McNulty, Prop Joe, Stringer.

So is it living up to your expectations or what?

Great season. The whole show is fucking awesome. Glad you're getting into it. Will be curious as to how you compare it to the sopranos when you're finished.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Down to the final 8.

Omar vs. Michael

Bunk vs. McNulty

Prop Joe vs. Avon

Stringer vs. Bodie

I'd go Omar and Bodie, those are my two favorite characters from the streets. The other two are so difficult.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Down to the final 8.

Omar vs. Michael

Bunk vs. McNulty

Prop Joe vs. Avon

Stringer vs. Bodie

I'd go Omar and Bodie, those are my two favorite characters from the streets. The other two are so difficult.

Yeah, McNulty vs. Bunk is almost impossible to pick....those were prob my 2 fav characters in the entire show. Actually, I love all of these characters in this final 8. I really gotta go back and re-watch this entire series soon.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    that's what direct tv is for...constant reruns of the wire and sunday ticket for frauds like me
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Great season. The whole show is fucking awesome. Glad you're getting into it. Will be curious as to how you compare it to the sopranos when you're finished.

well i give the edge to the sopranos so far. but i can definitely understand all the hype.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

well i give the edge to the sopranos so far. but i can definitely understand all the hype.

Sopranos went too long for me. Thought this one was well done and not drawn out too much.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sopranos went too long for me. Thought this one was well done and not drawn out too much.[/quote]

So true. Sopranos went 1 or 2 seasons too long.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sopranos went too long for me. Thought this one was well done and not drawn out too much.

So true. Sopranos went 1 or 2 seasons too long.[/quote]

i still loved late era sopranos complete with weird dream/coma sequences. only thing i didn't like was the ridiculously drawn out vito storyline in the first half of the last season.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I finally watched the 1st 3 episodes of season 1. I was only going to watch 1 but just let the dvd play. I like the set up of the characters. It's crazy how many people were in this series that I didn't know about. I saw 3 people from Homocide and a 4th is behind the scenes, Clark Johnson. I'm looking forward to this.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

i still loved late era sopranos complete with weird dream/coma sequences. only thing i didn't like was the ridiculously drawn out vito storyline in the first half of the last season.

Yeah, the Vito thing was way too drawn out. Some of those dream/coma sequences were a little much for me. Anyways, enjoy season 3 of the wire! Very good stuff.

Yeah, the Vito thing was way too drawn out. Some of those dream/coma sequences were a little much for me. Anyways, enjoy season 3 of the wire! Very good stuff.

Yeah, it's an awesome season.
    Omar vs. Avon and Stinger vs. McNulty
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i still loved late era sopranos complete with weird dream/coma sequences. only thing i didn't like was the ridiculously drawn out vito storyline in the first half of the last season.[/quote]

While watching The Sopranos when it was on I had some problems with it, but when I re-watch it I enjoy it a lot even the last two seasons. I would probably give the edge to The Sopranos, but they are both great shows that I will watch over and over.

I'm surprised at all the McNulty love. I would have thought Bunk would have killed him. For me, it's no contest.
    rrivers wrote:
    [
    While watching The Sopranos when it was on I had some problems with it, but when I re-watch it I enjoy it a lot even the last two seasons. I would probably give the edge to The Sopranos, but they are both great shows that I will watch over and over.

Very true. I think you have to go back and re-watch a lot of these classic TV series to fully appreciate them (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, etc...) I think I am going to do that with The Sopranos soon...my fiance hasn't seen the entire series so we are going to start from the beginning.
    rrivers wrote:
    [

Very true. I think you have to go back and re-watch a lot of these classic TV series to fully appreciate them (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, etc...) I think I am going to do that with The Sopranos soon...my fiance hasn't seen the entire series so we are going to start from the beginning.

That's what I did last year and parts I wasn't expecting to like as much I found myself liking a lot more than I remembered. I think it helps to see it in a semi-continuous stream rather than waiting every week to watch it or years in between seasons. There were periods, especially near the end, that I didn't remember enjoying so much that I really enjoyed this time. When I was watching it when it was on, I had such high expectations especially as it was getting to the end that were impossible for the show to live up to.
    rrivers wrote:
    That's what I did last year and parts I wasn't expecting to like as much I found myself liking a lot more than I remembered. I think it helps to see it in a semi-continuous stream rather than waiting every week to watch it or years in between seasons. There were periods, especially near the end, that I didn't remember enjoying so much that I really enjoyed this time. When I was watching it when it was on, I had such high expectations especially as it was getting to the end that were impossible for the show to live up to.

Yeah, the crazy expectations towards the end for shows like that generally leave you feeling a little disappointed. The one show that I do have high expectations for every week and never fails to deliver is Breaking Bad....can't wait to see the final season coming up here.