2011 Verizon - Droid/iPhone Speculation/Facts thread

CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The Verizon Wireless CEO is the keynote speaker on Jan 6, 2011 at CES.

With Verizon just having turned on the 4G/LTE switch this month, that means that (presumably) a number of 4G phones will be announced. It's a safe bet that there will be a number of Droid phones announced. Hopefully with 4G and 3G dual capability, as 4G will take two years to roll out. A lot of speculation on whether iPhone will finally move to Verizon, since no official word from Apple... and if so, whether they will be using the older 3G/CDMA signal.

So... who has heard anything about the new phones that Verizon will be rolling out at CES?
ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
*NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
*MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
*Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
*Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
*Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
*VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
*EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
*Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'm still on the original AT&T iPhone 2g. Hoping VZW or Apple announces an Verizon iPhone in the first quarter so I can switch back.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Apple plans to announce a Verizon-compatible iPhone sometime before Valentine’s Day 2011, according to a new report. Citing “a person familiar with Apple’s plans who is not authorized to discuss them publicly,” Businessweek reports that neither Apple nor Verizon will be announcing the phone at next week’s 2011 CES in Las Vegas; it says the former is “likely” host a special press event to announce the device. The report notes that analysts estimate between one and six million AT&T customers will switch to Verizon once the latter is able to offer the iPhone, a move that on the large end could cost AT&T as much as $6 billion in lost annual revenue. Notably, the report also claims that by easing the cost of upgrading to the iPhone 4, AT&T got 15 of its 23 million iPhone subscribers to sign new two-year contracts, while hiking its early contract termination fees from $175 to $325.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/c ... tines-day/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Puck the iphone.

Htc has a nice lte phone coming out late spring, early summer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i dn't want the iphone to come to verizon either...unless their network can handle the load of a potential 6 million new users, i'd prefer the iphone stay on att...i like to make phone calls
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I've been waiting forever for iphone to come to verizon. But if Iphone isn't announced in Jan/Feb, I have no problem going with a droid. I've been wanting to wait for 4G too, but they don't list when specifically it will come to my town... so, I'm not sure I should even worry about getting a droid or iphone 4G. Is there a map of future rollout dates, aside from that map with a few black dots on it?

My old and broken LG Voyager is 3 years old or so... and been patiently waiting so long that now the carriers are using different transmission technology. :lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    norm wrote:
    i dn't want the iphone to come to verizon either...unless their network can handle the load of a potential 6 million new users, i'd prefer the iphone stay on att...i like to make phone calls

iphone or not, the networks are all building up the infrastructure to cope with all the new phones. you don't pimp these phones and than put them on a shit network...ooops, my bad att

you will love 4g
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I've been waiting forever for iphone to come to verizon. But if Iphone isn't announced in Jan/Feb, I have no problem going with a droid. I've been wanting to wait for 4G too, but they don't list when specifically it will come to my town... so, I'm not sure I should even worry about getting a droid or iphone 4G. Is there a map of future rollout dates, aside from that map with a few black dots on it?

My old and broken LG Voyager is 3 years old or so... and been patiently waiting so long that now the carriers are using different transmission technology. :lol:

verizon has annouced the first round of 4g cities. it's up and running now, but only for network cards. The city list was basically a tie in to NFL cities with a select few others tossed in.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CJMST3K wrote:

I've been waiting forever for it to come to Verizon too. I can't wait to get rid of this blackberry....I'm so sick of this thing.
    HTC Thunderbolt

Mark Jan 6th on your calander
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    My question is, when is T-Mobile going to get it? It's not a matter of if, but a matter of time..
    My question is, when is T-Mobile going to get it? It's not a matter of if, but a matter of time..

hspa+

go check it out. i was just reading today that people are pulling 5megs + download speeds.

the have a couple of good looking phones in teh mytouch 4g and the G2
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

hspa+

go check it out. i was just reading today that people are pulling 5megs + download speeds.

It's tempting. If I can figure out how to tether a G2 to my computer for a reasonable price, I may upgrade my phone and cancel Comcast.
    81 wrote:

hspa+

It's tempting. If I can figure out how to tether a G2 to my computer for a reasonable price, I may upgrade my phone and cancel Comcast.

easy peasy.

i'm using pda net (`$20)

there is also easy tether ($10), but i couldn't get it to work.

i've been tethering at home 100% since july. no internet outside of my EVO.

if you watch a lot of vids or do heavy downloading, it might not be for you, but if all you do is forums/read sports/misc surfing it works good
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

easy peasy.

i'm using pda net (`$20)

there is also easy tether ($10), but i couldn't get it to work.

i've been tethering at home 100% since july. no internet outside of my EVO.

if you watch a lot of vids or do heavy downloading, it might not be for you, but if all you do is forums/read sports/misc surfing it works good
    I use Netflix and Hulu. Do you think the 4G could handle it? And is that a one time fee? T-Mobile offers tethering for $15 a month..
    one time fee

i streamed one netflix movie. it wasn't terrible, but it did need to be restarted a few times during the movie

pdanet and easy tether are both one time items

however, i would guess you could root your phone and get tethering for free.

rooting is suppose to be easy, but i've not gone there....yet
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    some sexy phones leaking out today.

ATT has a nice looking 4g model coming out from motorola.
    Motorola and AT&T got together this morning at CES to announce the Motorola Atrix 4G, what they are calling the world's most advanced mobile device. Without question, the specs are impressive:

Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core 1 GHz processor
    1 GB RAM
    16 GB internal memory and microSD card slot
    4 inch QHD display
    5 MP rear camera and VGA front facing camera
    Fingerprint scanning security
    Android 2.2 (Froyo) with MotoBlur
    All the assorted radios and sensors
    It also is dockable in what they're calling a Laptop Dock,which has a full keyboard and puts the Atrix 4G into "webtop mode". While in webtop mode, users can enjoy a fuller computer-like experience via apps like Firefox web browser.

thumb_550_ATRIX_0.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    can't wait to see what sprint comes up with this summer. i may have to sell the EVO and upgrade. sweet sweet goodness
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    is there a 4g vzw droid in the pipeline?
    norm wrote:

HTC Thunderbolt.

should be here sometime in the first half. if memory serves, specs are similar to the EVO which is currently on of the best if not the best phone on the market right now.

nice looking phone

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content ... erbolt.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mm, this one looks sexy too. don't know who the carrier is yet.

thumb_550_optimus2x.png

1Ghz Dual-core Processor (NVIDIA Tegra 2)
    4-inch WVGA screen
    Android 2.2 (Froyo), upgradeable to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
    1,500 mAh battery
    8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
    HDMI mirroring
    1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

HTC Thunderbolt.

should be here sometime in the first half. if memory serves, specs are similar to the EVO which is currently on of the best if not the best phone on the market right now.

nice looking phone

might be my next toy that i get. i'm tired of my shitty blackberry.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

HTC Thunderbolt.

nice looking phone

might be my next toy that i get. i'm tired of my shitty blackberry.

i want that LG now. :lol: that looks bad ass.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i want that LG now. :lol: that looks bad ass.
    haha yes it does

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 ... nexus.one/

that has me sold

HTC makes a nice phone.

i'm curious what makes that phone faster than the EVO. The UI update or the processer. that processor speed is inline with the EVO.

either way, while both the evo and thunderbolt are nice phones, i'm interested in the dual core processor. the EVO is fast with it's single processor, i can't imanage what happens when you double the processing power.

If spint comes out with a dual processor, and i can sell my evo for the upgrade fee cost, i'm upgrading.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    HTC makes a nice phone.

i'm curious what makes that phone faster than the EVO. The UI update or the processer. that processor speed is inline with the EVO.

either way, while both the evo and thunderbolt are nice phones, i'm interested in the dual core processor. the EVO is fast with it's single processor, i can't imanage what happens when you double the processing power.

If spint comes out with a dual processor, and i can sell my evo for the upgrade fee cost, i'm upgrading.
    HTC do seem to make nice phones which is why i'm ready to make the jump to one of them. i just wonder how i'll get used to the texting on a touch screen.

texting on touch screen isn't bad, as long as you are night doing long messages, mostly, because you can only use thumbs and not all your fingers. but you know that. i just wish my thumbs moved faster. there are a couple of key boards (Swype being the big one) that suppose to let you type super fast. i tired it but didn't like it. maybe i'll try it again.

i also like how HTC puts the home button on the far left vs. samsung/motorola putting the menu button on the left and the home button as the second button.

but overall, i wouldn't trade my EVO for any other phone on the market today. tommorrow...well....maybe

htc aslo has a good rep of getting software updates out, unlike samsung. we've had froyo (android 2.2) since august, while samsung is struggling to get it out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    texting on touch screen isn't bad, as long as you are night doing long messages, mostly, because you can only use thumbs and not all your fingers. but you know that. i just wish my thumbs moved faster. there are a couple of key boards (Swype being the big one) that suppose to let you type super fast. i tired it but didn't like it. maybe i'll try it again.

i also like how HTC puts the home button on the far left vs. samsung/motorola putting the menu button on the left and the home button as the second button.

but overall, i wouldn't trade my EVO for any other phone on the market today. tommorrow...well....maybe

htc aslo has a good rep of getting software updates out, unlike samsung. we've had froyo (android 2.2) since august, while samsung is struggling to get it out.
    yea i mostly text with my thumbs so from everything you say i should be fine. i'm do for an upgrade in may.

norm wrote:
    A wifi tablet would be pretty cooled with a wifi broadcasting phone. Bam.

I like the att setup, plug the phone into a docking station and the display goes to a monitor and you get a full size keyboard and mouse.

Welcome to the cloud
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-thunderbolt

More stuff on the thundbird.

Its an basically a reskinned evo. Good phone
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg