Wishing the wrong people Merry Christmas...

124»

Comments

• but it isn't promoting tolerance to push your celebration on others, and then freak out when they don't like it. I don't necessarily agree that people should really freak out about getting a Christmas greeting, but like I said, I can't judge them, as I am not in their shoes.

If I lived in the middle east, I would probably expect to hear all sorts of different greetings that I'm not used to, and I'd assume I'd take it in stride, but I can't know that for sure.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    it's called tolerance. More people should give it a try
    Odd, that's my point too. Tolerance from those that do not participate. They need to be tolerant of something that they do not participate in, but most around them do.

To cry offense is what is ridiculous.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Paul David wrote:
    but it isn't promoting tolerance to push your celebration on others, and then freak out when they don't like it. I don't necessarily agree that people should really freak out about getting a Christmas greeting, but like I said, I can't judge them, as I am not in their shoes.

If I lived in the middle east, I would probably expect to hear all sorts of different greetings that I'm not used to, and I'd assume I'd take it in stride, but I can't know that for sure.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    it's called tolerance. More people should give it a try
    Odd, that's my point too. Tolerance from those that do not participate. They need to be tolerant of something that they do not participate in, but most around them do.

To cry offense is what is ridiculous.
    Just as though those who come here (or currently live here but choose to not celebrate) need to take Christmas in stride. They need to accept the fact that this country recognizes it as a National Holiday. No one is purposefully shoving it down their throats. This time of year, otherwise known as Christmastime, the holiday is everywhere in this country. It is just the way it is.

And, this wouldn't even be a subject if it wasn't for the few who want to cry "offense" every time they see a Christmas tree or are wished a Merry Christmas. Unless these anti-Christmas folks wear a shirt or a sign that claims their stance, they will continue to be wished a Merry Christmas from strangers - because that is the type of cheerful holiday that it is.
  • yep, as I thought.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Just as though those who come here (or currently live here but choose to not celebrate) need to take Christmas in stride. They need to accept the fact that this country recognizes it as a National Holiday. No one is purposefully shoving it down their throats. This time of year, otherwise known as Christmastime, the holiday is everywhere in this country. It is just the way it is.

And, this wouldn't even be a subject if it wasn't for the few who want to cry "offense" every time they see a Christmas tree or are wished a Merry Christmas. Unless these anti-Christmas folks wear a shirt or a sign that claims their stance, they will continue to be wished a Merry Christmas from strangers - because that is the type of cheerful holiday that it is.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    Just as though those who come here (or currently live here but choose to not celebrate) need to take Christmas in stride.

this is exactly the BS I'm talking about. Those who "choose not to celebrate". You choose not to celebrate any other holiday from another religion, should they shove it down YOUR throat just because of their geographical location? That's ludicrous and ignorant.

Happy holidays.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Paul David wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Just as though those who come here (or currently live here but choose to not celebrate) need to take Christmas in stride.

this is exactly the BS I'm talking about. Those who "choose not to celebrate". You choose not to celebrate any other holiday from another religion, should they shove it down YOUR throat just because of their geographical location? That's ludicrous and ignorant.

Happy holidays.
    I don't follow...You kind of lost me on that one.

I have never shoved Christmas down anyone's throat. I am not even sure how you would do that.

To you, what does "shoving it down their throats" mean? If it just means that they have to see Christmas decorations and hear Christmas songs when in public places, again that is just what Christmastime is and they do need to be tolerant of it or choose to not leave their house this time of year. Or, does it means their employer, who celebrates Christmas and recognizes it by paying their employees holiday pay that day, throws a Christmas party?

There are plenty of things that I choose not to follow or participate in. Things that go on all around me. :?

Do I have the right to ask everyone else to stop participating in activities in front of me that I choose not to participate in?
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Today at work those that worked their last day before Christmas holidays were walking around the office wishing everyone that is working tomorrow (such as myself) a Merry Christmas.
    An Indonesian guy took offense when my co-worked wished him a Merry Christmas and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" in a nasty tone of voice to which my co-worker replied "well.....a Happy New Year then" and told everyone not to wish this guy a Merry Christmas.

Do you guys think it is wrong to wish those that do not celebrate it a Merry Christmas?
    Or is this dude just a asshole?
    I would say the latter.

No Ireckon he just needs to build a bridge. Seriously if you visit a country, you research thier customs before you and you therefore respect and abide by those customs etc whilst there. If you willing migrate to a country then the same principle applies.

My friend had the JW's rock up on her door xmas morning and they took offence to her telling them to piss off as she found thier preaching to her on her religions holy day to be offensive! :lol:
  • aNiMaL wrote:

I have never shoved Christmas down anyone's throat. I am not even sure how you would do that.

To you, what does "shoving it down their throats" mean? If it just means that they have to see Christmas decorations and hear Christmas songs when in public places, again that is just what Christmastime is and they do need to be tolerant of it or choose to not leave their house this time of year. Or, does it means their employer, who celebrates Christmas and recognizes it by paying their employees holiday pay that day, throws a Christmas party?

no, it means people saying Merry Christmas to someone who doesn't celebrate it or doesn't believe in it, they say "I don't celebrate it" and saying that person needs to assimilate. I'm not saying you have done this, but many who have posted in this thread have suggested that they need to "suck it up" since it is a North American custom. Which it isn't. We adopted it, but it didn't originate here.

I'm not saying that Christmas should be stopped. I'm not Christian but I still celebrate it as a family holiday to enjoy those around me. I love Christmas, especially now since I have two young daughters. It's magical to them, and I love it.

All I was saying is to try to be a little more sensitive to other cultures. I think the assimilation argument doesn't apply in North America. Exactly which culture does one assimilate to? North American culture is a mixture of about a million different ones, all mashed together.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas/holiday!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I see where your coming from but I think by the sounds of it this bloke was quite rude when he said Merry Xmas, that's not neccesary. He should have had the common courtesy to say "Thanks but I don't celebrate it". I don't think that's too hard. Merry Xmas all and for the folks who don't do xmas.......Merry Xmas to me instead!!!!! :lol:
    Paul David wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

no, it means people saying Merry Christmas to someone who doesn't celebrate it or doesn't believe in it, they say "I don't celebrate it" and saying that person needs to assimilate. I'm not saying you have done this, but many who have posted in this thread have suggested that they need to "suck it up" since it is a North American custom. Which it isn't. We adopted it, but it didn't originate here.

I'm not saying that Christmas should be stopped. I'm not Christian but I still celebrate it as a family holiday to enjoy those around me. I love Christmas, especially now since I have two young daughters. It's magical to them, and I love it.

All I was saying is to try to be a little more sensitive to other cultures. I think the assimilation argument doesn't apply in North America. Exactly which culture does one assimilate to? North American culture is a mixture of about a million different ones, all mashed together.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas/holiday!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive